Rise of Nations - Forum Game

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Rise of Nations - Recruiting - 4 more players max

Postby Karadan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 am

@tiger - From what I can tell a 0 treasury empire is possible. Basically you get your income at the start of the turn, and pay expenses in the form of upkeep, building costs, and upkeep for new units (Which is included under upkeep, but just want to point out that new units require upkeep on the turn they are popped) at the end of the turn. Or perhaps you get the income at the end of the turn too, but before the other stuff.

To put it simply, as long as Treasury + income - upkeep - building costs - upkeep for new units >= 0, you're fine.

At least that's how I read Dave's post.

Also, hurry up slow pokes, I have cities to conquer :P
Karadan

Postby LTDave » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:12 am

And here's the news at 11...

From Nobgrub:
1 Warlord, Rotork Nazshak, Level 2
10 Warrior 4 Figthan Warrior 2 Flying Fightan

is attacking the City of Loka, defended by:
10 Fanatica, each with:
8 Hits, 4 Attack, 4 Defence, Type: Ranged Cost 53

As many of the Nobgrub stats that don't affect the outcome of the battle are not reported. All numbers are random, generated by "Ronaldo Calliari's Super Simplified Random Number Generator, Patent Not Applied For."

Spoiler: show
First Round
10 Fanatica Fire on Warriors
D6 roll: 6 + 4 Attack - 3 Defence - 0 City Defence = 7 Hits
D6 roll: 5 + 4 Attack - 3 Defence - 0 City Defence = 6 Hits
D6 roll: 2 + 4 Attack - 3 Defence - 0 City Defence = 3 Hits
D6 roll: 4 + 4 Attack - 3 Defence - 0 City Defence = 5 Hits
D6 roll: 4 + 4 Attack - 3 Defence - 0 City Defence = 5 Hits
58 hits
Results: 9 Warriors Cwoaked
1 with 2 hits remaining

2 Flying Fightan fire on: Fanatica
D6 roll: 4 + 6 Attack - 4 Defence - 0 City Defence = 6 Hits
12 hits
Results: 1 Fanatica Cwoaked, 1 with 4 hits, and 8 uninjured.

Melee Round
Warlord, 4 Fightan Warriors, and 1 Warrior attack Fanatica
D6 roll: 2 + 6 Attack - 4 Defence - 0 City Defence = 4 Hits
D6 roll: 3 + 6 Attack - 4 Defence - 0 City Defence = 5 Hits
D6 roll: 5 + 3 Attack - 4 Defence - 0 City Defence = 4 Hits
23 hits
Results: 3 Fanatica Cwoaked, 1 with 5 hits remaining, and 5 uninjured

Undeterred by the massive losses, the Nobgrubians press on. After all, the Fanatica can’t roll that well again!

Second Round:

Ranged and Flying Combat:

5 Fanatica fire on Flying Fightan
D6 roll: 5 + 4 Attack - 4 Defence - 0 City Defence = 5 Hits
D6 roll: 6 + 4 Attack - 4 Defence - 0 City Defence = 6 Hits
D6 roll: 3 + 4 Attack - 4 Defence - 0 City Defence = 3 Hits
D6 roll: 5 + 4 Attack - 4 Defence - 0 City Defence = 5 Hits
D6 roll: 1 + 4 Attack - 4 Defence - 0 City Defence = 1 Hits
20 hits inflicted.
2 Flying Fightan eliminated, but not before they fire back:
D6 roll: 6 + 6 Attack - 4 Defence - 0 City Defence = 8 Hits
14 hits inflicted.
2 Fanatica cwoaked, 1 with 7 hits remaining, and 2 uninjured.

Melee Combat:
Warlord, 4 Fightan Warriors, & 1 Warrior
D6 roll: 6 + 6 Attack - 4 Defence - 0 City Defence = 8 Hits
D6 roll: 3 + 6 Attack - 4 Defence - 0 City Defence = 5 Hits
D6 roll: 1 + 6 Attack - 4 Defence - 0 City Defence = 3 Hits
D6 roll: 4 + 3 Attack - 4 Defence - 0 City Defence = 3 Hits
31 hits inflicted.
All Fanatica cwoaked.

The Loka Army is defeated, and their City falls to the forces of Nobgrub.
9 Warriors and 2 Flying Fightas are cwoaked in the attack.
LTDave

Postby LTDave » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:19 am

I have some questions to answer, which I'll do shortly.

But mainly we are waiting on Azgrut to send in some orders, before we all start again...
If memory serves, the sun will only just be rising in the Nederlands, so we might have to wait for him to put on his clogs.
LTDave

More Questions Answered

Postby LTDave » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:18 am

- Are attacks done individually? Such that if I have 2 archers attacking a warrior, and my archers both do 4 damage (they got crappy rolls ) will the warrior only take 4 hits? (4-2=2 from each archer) and thus survive? I'm guessing that is how it works, but just want to be sure.

Yes.

-Also, how are attacks assigned? Does the attacker pick specific targets, or does the defender get to pick them?

Each side can set a general strategy before combat (like target Ranged Units, or Focus on Low Def units). But I'm not going to be sending messages back and forth to players asking for instructions as this will slow up the game.

-Since my Warlord is level 2, are his stats any better?

No, but he is wiser. How is this measured in combat terms? You'll never know.

-Oh yeah, what is upkeep? I thought it was 25% of the base cost of units, but I come up with a slightly different number than you with that, so just wanted to know to make sure I keep my upkeep in check.

I'll never tell! Never! Ha ha ho ho hee hee!
Seriously though, if anyone can work out the formula for upkeep (or City Income) I will give that person 100 bonus smuckers.

-how much does a shipyard cost?

As much as you want it to. What an annoying answer. At least 100S. If you spend less, the ships will be not as good. If you spend more, they will be better.
LTDave

Postby tigerusthegreat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:01 am

Can we get any guidance on Move? For example, from my capital how far can my units reach?

Also from what I am seeing the upkeep *is* about 25%, but since he's using excel, it's probably a matter of where that upkeep is getting rounded that is giving us slightly weird numbers.
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 4/09/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 4/09/2014 (link is to first page)
tigerusthegreat

Re: More Questions Answered

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:10 am

LTDave wrote:I'll never tell! Never! Ha ha ho ho hee hee!
Seriously though, if anyone can work out the formula for upkeep (or City Income) I will give that person 100 bonus smuckers.

What's this, QI?
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby ETheBoyce » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:24 am

We won't be able to figure it out until we have more data, it's entirely possible the equation could also be based on total number of units and/or possibly ranged/flying being accounted for twice
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Karadan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:15 am

Taking a quick glance at the combat report, I thought you might want to use something with a bit more randomness for your random numbers, since the current system suffers from a potential for very lopsided battles thanks to what is essentially one lucky or unlucky roll. http://invisiblecastle.com/ lets you roll a bunch of dice at once, and you can even add in the attack and have it calculate it for you. Might be a bit harder to post a hit by hit account since all the numbers would be different, but might normalize the battles a bit more. Unless of course you like the all or nothing style of combat, which certainly has its advantages. If you need me to explain how to use the site properly at all, please feel free to pm me, I have quite a bit of experience using it.

Edit: So many of my combat questions answered by that simple combat report, guess I should have just waited till someone attacked and read the results, that's what I'm good at anyway. Few things work a bit differently than I thought, but now I know :)
Karadan

Postby tigerusthegreat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:21 am

Can we still attack in turn 1 or is it officially over?

Last Updated 4/09/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 4/09/2014 (link is to first page)
tigerusthegreat

Postby Karadan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:08 pm

I would imagine that turn 1 is basically over for the 4 people who have already sent in their orders. I've already gotten an 'end of turn 1 report' so I figure that makes it fairly officially over for me at least :P

@The Colonel - Congrats on being the first side to take a city, and a level 3 no less. Okay, now everyone dogpile on the current leader :P
Karadan

Re: More Questions Answered

Postby LTDave » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:53 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
LTDave wrote:I'll never tell! Never! Ha ha ho ho hee hee!

What's this, QI?

**** ALARMS RING ****

"QI" flashes on the screen.

Oh, I'm sorry Bland, but that's minus five points for you.
LTDave

Postby LTDave » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Turn 1 is over for the five players who have submitted orders and had them processed.
Still waiting on Azgrut.
If no orders are received from him in the next 24 hours, then we move straight on to turn 2, so you might want to send in some orders for that eventuality.

- Can we get any guidance on Move? For example, from my capital how far can my units reach?

Your units can move to the next City or terrain feature. Roads might speed the process...
LTDave

Postby Karadan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:55 am

"Fellow Rulers,

I have comprised dossiers on each of the major Sides in the area, including my own, and am willing to offer copies of them for a nominal fee. 40 shmuckers buys you the basic details of a side, including their Ruler, Side, Cities, ((Player)), and specialty information. An extra 10 shmuckers buys a lifetime update contract, meaning I will provide you with updated side dossiers as they become required, including the capturing of new cities, the changing of rulers, and full new dossiers on any new major players that arise in the area.

For a limited time only introductory rate, you may also purchase combat dossiers. These will include updates on known troop movements from my scouts, helping alert you to and keep track of enemy movements. Also included is all known intel on the units popped by sides, as well as any other combat relevant information discovered by my scouts, such as side income or production should such information be discovered, or estimates of such if they can be made with a reasonable degree of accuracy. The introductory rate is 200 shmuckers, which includes updates through turn 13, after which a subscription of 30 shmuckers a turn is required to continue the updates.

Act now while these prices are low. Offers valid through turn 3, after which they will revert to their normal prices.
All contracts come with a money back guarantee of delivery. Lazura is not responsible for the consequences of actions taken based on these dossiers. Accuracy is guaranteed only to the best ability of Lazura's scouts. Information on Lazura side based on estimates of best knowledge of non-Lazuraian sides. Turn rate of combat subscription subject to change, but guaranteed through turn 20."

As the sales pitch says, I've made dossiers on everyone, and am willing to share them for a few shmuckers. For now it is nothing you couldn't figure out on your own, but later on it might include things you wouldn't otherwise know, and acts as an excellent way to keep track of things (Which is why I made them in the first place). All of this is of course dependent on LTDave being willing to allow shmuckers transfers. If he doesn't want to deal with that, then please feel free to ignore the offer. Also, while they are fairly basic now, if people are interested in them, I will work on improving their formatting (Free of charge even :o).

Edit: P.S. If you'd like to negotiate other payment plans or barter with things besides shmuckers, feel free to make offers. Also note that the combat and general dossiers are two separate offers, and you can get one without the other if you'd like.
Karadan

Postby Harry1991 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:11 pm

Trantor is bringing a law suit against you for stealing our Intellectual property. :P

We are willing to invest big in a case against you however in the interest of fairness we will accept 5,000 Schmuckers (in installments of 100 S for 50 turns) as full settlement of this case.
Harry1991

Postby tigerusthegreat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:36 pm

Something tells me I value a fake currency more than my own laziness...proves why I spent all that time in WoW. Will have to decline for now.

Though I'd like to sell some beach front property in Arizona if you are interested.

Last Updated 4/09/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby Karadan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:02 pm

tigerusthegreat wrote:Something tells me I value a fake currency more than my own laziness...proves why I spent all that time in WoW. Will have to decline for now.

Though I'd like to sell some beach front property in Arizona if you are interested.

Funny how most people will do everything they can to avoid working for real money, but do everything possible to work for fake money... including pay real money for the privilege.
Harry1991 wrote:Trantor is bringing a law suit against you for stealing our Intellectual property. :P

We are willing to invest big in a case against you however in the interest of fairness we will accept 5,000 Schmuckers (in installments of 100 S for 50 turns) as full settlement of this case.

Instead allow me to disclose, free of charge, the following sneak peak of an intel report on my own side:
Spoiler: show
Side: Lazura
Known Units:
Paralegal 5 hits, 5 attack, 5 defense, Ranged Special Abilities: Immune to lawsuits
Lawyer 9 hits, 8 attack, 8 defense, Melee Special Abilities: Immune to lawsuits, able to attack any capital from any location
Pocket Judge 13 hits, 15 attack, 20 defense, Flyer Special Abilities: Rebounds lawsuits on initiating side, doubles the attack of allied Lawyers and Paralegals

Okay, but seriously, I thought the dossiers might be handy little things to have so figured I'd offer them for people who weren't good at keeping tabs of things. The combat ones really would likely come in handy, particularly in the future, but I suppose I'll keep my intel to myself for now :P
Karadan

Postby Harry1991 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:31 pm

Lol well I guess I could drop my case but you owe me lol
Harry1991

Postby ETheBoyce » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Question, can we pop units and deploy them on the same Turn?
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby LTDave » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:55 pm

Yes.

Processing Turn 2 Orders from Now. Send 'em in if you haven't.
LTDave

Postby Karadan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:03 pm

Oh... we can? Well darn. Good to know.
Karadan

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games