Darkness Rising

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising

Postby HerbieRai » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:26 pm

Can a melee unit try attacking a portal? I'm worried that trogdor (being an uncroaked) will regenerate too.
HerbieRai

Postby Swodaems » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:52 pm

HerbieRai wrote:Can a melee unit try attacking a portal? I'm worried that trogdor (being an uncroaked) will regenerate too.
MarbitChow wrote:Yes, the reconstituted uncroaked still had dance-fighting. Bill would need to get closer to the structures (within 3 squares), and spend at least one full action to try to analyze the portals in greater depth, if such is desired.

I think getting an indepth analyze from Bill about the portals is probably a better option for us than attacking. Concentrating on clearing up the area around on of the portals so that Bill can get close enough may be a good idea.

BTW, I think we'll need to be prepared to face all 3 champions again and 2 of the dancing lesser uncroaked in the next round. I also think that the PCs should be the ones fighting the reconstituted uncroaked instead of the Zerg. The players can currently take and survive what damage the enemy can do to us, but letting our uncroaked take it means that the number of enemy units grows faster. (On that note, we do not want to have 2 damaged uncroaked within a 3X3 of each other.)

MarbitChow, when exactly in the round did the reconstituted uncroaked appear? At the start of it or at their movement times? Would those of us capable of moving faster than them be able get in attacks before they could act?
Swodaems

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Swodaems wrote:MarbitChow, when exactly in the round did the reconstituted uncroaked appear? At the start of it or at their movement times? Would those of us capable of moving faster than them be able get in attacks before they could act?
The portals reconstituted the uncroaked at Combat 20. The uncroaked acted at their regular times during the turn (@ Combat 8 and Combat 5).
MarbitChow

Postby ETheBoyce » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:20 pm

Were they reconstituted at full hits?
ETheBoyce
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Exate » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:58 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
Exate wrote:Somehow, I don't feel like "stand around in front of the portal and hit nothing" was in my orders. They only said to go hit things that were actually there to kill.
Tod's plan specified that one of the two of you move to guard the H portal to be able to protect the back row once the uncroaked zerg. I can move you to engage the Bone Dagron instead, if you wish.
Please do, as that was my intention in the case that all enemy mooks were dealt with.

MarbitChow wrote:
Swodaems wrote:Yeah, Yuri has a pretty high combat score. He should have been able to get into position to attack L01 before the other lessers did.

Exate wrote:Yuri will delay his action until the end of our team's moves.
I interpreted this to mean the entire team, lesser uncroaked included.
That was the correct interpretation. I wanted Yuri's first targeting priority to be hitting anything that came out of the portals, and because of how initiative works and the fact that we didn't know when in the round the portals might activate it seemed necessary to wait through our entire initiative order in case the portals activated at a low score- but waiting any later than "after our last guy moves" would have risked losing Yuri's action for the round entirely by delaying indefinitely, so assaulting the Bone Dagron was the "else" clause. I could probably have phrased it better.

That might not be the optimal move this round, but it's what I decided on last time. My apologies to all for any confusion.
Exate
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:51 pm

Exate wrote:Please do, as that was my intention in the case that all enemy mooks were dealt with.
That might not be the optimal move this round, but it's what I decided on last time. My apologies to all for any confusion.

No problem. I'll try to get an updated result out tonight; I'll duplicate it instead of editing the last one, so people everyone can see the status clearly before people declare their next moves.
MarbitChow

Postby Swodaems » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:05 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
Swodaems wrote:MarbitChow, when exactly in the round did the reconstituted uncroaked appear? At the start of it or at their movement times? Would those of us capable of moving faster than them be able get in attacks before they could act?
The portals reconstituted the uncroaked at Combat 20. The uncroaked acted at their regular times during the turn (@ Combat 8 and Combat 5).

MarbitChow wrote:
Exate wrote:Please do, as that was my intention in the case that all enemy mooks were dealt with.

No problem. I'll try to get an updated result out tonight; I'll duplicate it instead of editing the last one, so people everyone can see the status clearly before people declare their next moves.

Could you also show us where the reconstituted uncroaked are going to be reforming next round? (At least the ones that will be reappearing before Rolf can act at Com 15.) Since it happens at Com 20, it is arguably information our characters would have when they acted and trying to do conditional commands for as many possibilities as the reappearence of 5 units of varying strengths in varying locations represents is no small task.
Swodaems

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Swodaems wrote:Could you also show us where the reconstituted uncroaked are going to be reforming next round? (At least the ones that will be reappearing before Rolf can act at Com 15.) Since it happens at Com 20, it is arguably information our characters would have when they acted and trying to do conditional commands for as many possibilities as the reappearence of 5 units of varying strengths in varying locations represents is no small task.

The previous units appeared directly in front of each structure. I can't tell you exactly where they will be reconstituting, or how many, for the same reason that I don't allow the enemy units to anticipate where Bill will be uncroaking a unit, or what he creates. The units reconstitute at Com 20 for a reason. All I can say is that all three structures are now humming loudly.
MarbitChow

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:20 pm

Retconjurated Version
The portals reassemble the dusted uncroaked; they look good as new. Bill salivates at the thought of being able to own such a structure, and the fact that one of his own decrypted has been turned against him hardly registers. The uncroaked ensemble continue to make their way forward, although the appearance of a couple of uncroaked at the portals cause a few of them to cluster together. William and Tod make short work of the damaged champions, who are hardly living up to their name. The reconstituted champion damages one of the dancers, as does the turncoat uncroaked, but the champion rapidly bite the dust under the dance assault. The Bone Dagron moves forward a bit, snaps his formidable jaws at one of the uncroaked, and another one bites the dust. Rolf, Yuri and Coil deliver a one-two-three combo that has definitely caught the dagron's attention.

Player Stats
Spoiler: show
Rolf (Werebiscuit): Warrior {Lvl 3, 30.5xp} [ 15 Combat / 11 Defense / 32 Hits. Attack. Special: Heavy, Well-armed.] (Ward-8) Potion: Renew (Heal 16 Hits)
William Showend Tell (BLANDCorporatio): Archer {Lvl 3, 30.5xp} [ 14 Combat / 5 Defense / 18 Hits. Fire. Special: Well-Armed, Mighty Blow x2] (Ward-8)
Yuri (Exate): Warrior {Lvl 3, 32.5xp, 2 AP Banked} [ 11 Combat / 12 Defense / 32 Hits. Attack. Special: Heavy.] (Ward-8) Potion: Renew (Heal 16 Hits)
Tod (Swodaems): Spearman {Lvl 4, 35.5xp, 1 AP Banked }[/color] [ 9 Combat / 9(+1) Defense / 23 (of 24) Hits. Strike/Lunge. Special: Leadership, Improved Leadership, Dance Fighting] (Ward-8) Ring: +1 Defense, Potion: Renew (Heal 16 Hits), Gem: 5000 Shmuckers, Gem: 2000 Shmuckers
Cupid (HerbieRai): Flier {Lvl 3, 31.5xp, 2 AP Banked} [ 8 Combat / 6 Defense / 16 Hits. Fire. Special: Fly] (Ward-8)
T. Coil (ETheBoyce): Caster {Lvl 3, 32.5xp} [ 7(+1) Combat / 3 Defense / 12 Hits. Fire. Special: Shockamancy (Hiya, Hoboken, TooGeeWonCee). 20 Juice.] (Ward-8) Ring: +1 Combat, Potion: Renew (Heal 16 Hits), Potion: Restore Juice (Restore 20), Scroll: Revitalize, Scroll: Renew
Triage (WaterMonkey314): Caster {Lvl 3, 33.6xp, +1Com/Def Banked} [ 6 Combat / 3 Defense / 12 Hits. Fire. Special: Healamancy (Revitalize, Renew, Minor Ward). 21 Juice.] (Ward-8) Potion: Restore Juice (Restore 20)
Bill (The Colonel): Caster {Lvl 3, 32.5xp, 1 AP Banked} [ 6 Combat / 4 Defense / 12 Hits. Fire. Special: Croakamancy (Reanimator, Bone Puppeteer). 0 Juice.] (Ward-8) Scroll: Revitalize x2, Scroll: Renew, Scroll: Lucky Streak, Scroll: Hoboken, Scroll: Groove, Scroll: Regenerate

Skeleton SK-1: Warrior [5 Combat / 5 Defense / 22 Hits / Attack. Special: Calcium Enriched, Dance Fighting.]

Lesser Uncroaked L02: Warrior [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 4 (of 14) Hits / Attack. Special: Dance Fighting.]
Lesser Uncroaked L03: Warrior [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 9 (of 14) Hits / Attack. Special: Dance Fighting.]
Lesser Uncroaked L05: Warrior [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / Attack. Special: Dance Fighting.]
Lesser Uncroaked L06: Warrior [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / Attack. Special: Dance Fighting.]
Lesser Uncroaked L07: Warrior [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / Attack. Special: Dance Fighting.]
Lesser Uncroaked L08: Warrior [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / Attack. Special: Dance Fighting.]

Lesser Uncroaked L09: Warrior [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / Attack. Special: Dance Fighting.]
Lesser Uncroaked L10: Warrior [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / Attack. Special: Dance Fighting.]
Lesser Uncroaked L11: Warrior [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / Attack. Special: Dance Fighting.]
Lesser Uncroaked L12: Warrior [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / Attack. Special: Dance Fighting.]
Lesser Uncroaked L13: Warrior [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / Attack. Special: Dance Fighting.]
Lesser Uncroaked L14: Warrior [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / Attack. Special: Dance Fighting.]
Lesser Uncroaked L15: Warrior [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / Attack. Special: Dance Fighting.]
Lesser Uncroaked L16: Warrior [ 5 Combat / 5 Defense / 14 Hits / Attack. Special: Dance Fighting.]

Portal Unit Stats
Bone Dagron : [20 Combat / 10 Defense / 278 (of 350) Hits / Strike. Special: x2 Def vs. Fire; Burninate ]

Burninate : Deal 3d6 to all units in a 3x3 square area. Ignores defense. Once used, cannot be used again for 2 turns.

Results
Improved Leadership Stack : Tod, Rolf, William, Yuri, Bill, Coil, Triage, Cupid (+4 / +4)
William declares Mighty Blow x2
Dance Fighting Stack : L02, L03, L04, L05, L06, L07, L08 (+3 / +3)
Dance Fighting Stack : L09, L10, L11, L12, L13, L14, L15, L16 (+4 / +4)

William : Fires @ Bw3
Roll : 8. 22 Combat + 6 Mighty Blow + 4 Leadership - (18 Defense) = 14 Hits. Target dusted.Team earns 4 XP. Team earns 1 Leadership XP.

Tod : Moves to J3, Strike @ Bw1
Roll : 7. 16 Combat + 4 Leadership - (9 Defense) = 11 Hits. Target dusted.Team earns 4 XP. Team earns 1 Leadership XP.

Cupid : Moves to F10, Fires @ Portal H
Roll : 7. 15 Combat + 4 Leadership - (19? Defense) = 0 Hits.

Bw2 : Moves to J9, Attacks @ L02
Roll : 10. 18 Combat - (Defense 5 + 3 Dance Fighting) = 10 Hits.

L02 : Moves to J10, Attacks @ Bw2
Roll : 8. 13 Combat + 3 Dance Fighting - (9 Defense) = 7 Hits.

L03 : Moves to I9, Attacks @ Bw2
Roll : 8. 13 Combat + 3 Dance Fighting - (9 Defense) = 7 Hits.

L01 : Attacks @ L03
Roll : 8. 13 Combat - (5 Defense + 3 Dance Fighting) = 5 Hits.

L06 : Moves to I8, Attacks @ Bw2
Roll : 7. 12 Combat + 3 Dance Fighting - (9 Defense) = 6 Hits. Target dusted.Team earns 4 XP. /color]

L08 : Moves to G10, Attacks @ L01
Roll : 11. 16 Combat + 3 Dance Fighting - (5 Defense) = [color=#00BF00]14 Hits. Target dusted.
Team earns 2 XP.

(Other lesser uncroaked move forward.)

Bone Dagron : Moves to S3, Strikes @ L04
Roll : 9. 29 Combat - (5 Defense + 3 Dance Fighting) = 21 Hits. Target dusted.

Rolf : Moves to Q1, Attacks @ Bone Dagron
Roll : 7. 22 Combat + 4 Leadership - (10 Defense) = 16 Hits.

T. Coil : Moves to A1, casts Hoboken @ Bone Dagron.
Roll : 11. 19 Combat + 4 Leadership = 23 Hits.

Yuri : Moves to S5, Attacks @ Bone Dagron
Roll : 7. 18 Combat + 4 Leadership - (10 Defense) = 12 Hits.

Bill : Moves to E2, uses Bone Puppeteer scroll to animate a Calcium-Enriched, Dance-Fighting Skeletal Warrior.

Triage : Casts Minor Ward on Tod
Tod gains (Ward-8).

Sk-1 : Moves to K5

As always, let me know if you see any mistakes.
Last edited by MarbitChow on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
MarbitChow

Postby Swodaems » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:03 pm

MarbitChow wrote:As always, let me know if you see any mistakes.

I noticed that we gained 2 leadership XP for dustings by units that I was not actually providing the leadership bonus to at the time. And while this has no effect on the squares I can reach next round, the picture shows me in J7 instead of J3.

It's time to make an odd, (and unfortunately, slightly dickish), decision regarding my Leadership bonus for this round. I'm sure it will work out for us, but all the other players are going to dislike a sudden 4/4 drop in their attack and def. (Sorry folks. I just believe that we're better off in this battle if I help boost the def of some of the minor uncroaked during this round. If we're not careful, we could lose 2-3 next round instead of just 1 and doing that this early would be horrible for us as it means a couple more enemies every round for as long as the battle lasts. Considering that these new enemies will have dance fighting, I can see them becoming a real threat really fast if we continue to ignore their attacks on the minor uncroaked. In the current situation, none of the PCs should find themselves in mortal danger due to the loss of 4 def, but one of the heavies may need a renew. (Alright, yes, we could technically see a heavy knocked down to 0 or less before Triage could renew them if Trogdor and all 3 skele heavies decided to attack the same target, but given the current battlefield, that would require all 3 heavies spawn at the same portal and rolls of at least (40 for Rolf who takes 9-3-3-3+8d6, 44 for Yuri who takes 8-4-4-4+8d6*) on 8d6. Those rolls both have a less than 1% chance of occuring, so barring a Luckamancy spell out of nowhere, the people that can be hit should be safe.))
(*Yeah, this method of approximation fails if any of the skele heavies rolls a 2 or 3, but it's close enough for now.)

I spend an AP to take Dance-Fighting and rearrange the party's stacks like so.
No Bonus PC Stack : Rolf, William, Yuri, Bill, Coil, Triage, Cupid (+0 / +0)
Improved Leadership & Dance Fighting Stack (Green Man group): Tod, L02, L03, L05, L06, L07, L08,L09 (+8 / +8)
Dance Fighting Stack (Blue Man group): Sk-1, L10, L11, L12, L13, L14, L15, L16 (+4 / +4)

Since I'm commanding Rolf during his players absence, I've got some conditional orders for him, dependant on what Trogdor does before his move. If Trogdor has moved a space to the left, Rolf will merely stay where he is and attack. If Trogdor is still in his current position by the time Rolf can act, then Rolf will move to R1 and attack Trogdor from there. (Note: if either of the prior two possibilities happen, and Yuri doesn't move before the dancing uncroaked do, Rolf is considered to have pinned the Dagron as far as the instructions for the uncroaked below are concerned.) If Trogdor has managed to back himself out from where he is, then Rolf's orders are to proceed to R9 and smack whatever comes out of it, preferably a Bone champion should he get the choice. (If R9 is somehow within Trogdor's strike range this round, then Rolf is to go to M9 instead and start attacking things coming from portal M.)

For my move, this order still applies but with a caveat.
Swodaems wrote:I expect for the portals to regenerate all 5 of the uncroaked that dusted this round, so I am doing to try a Lunge attack at any formation of enemies that allows it. (If I see a way to hit both reconstituted lesser uncroaked with a single Lunge I'll take that. If I can hit a group consisting of a lesser and a bone champion, I'll try to position myself so the lesser is hit first, or hit the Bone Champion first if I can't reposition like that. Lunging two Bone champions takes next lowest priority, followed by merely striking any lesser or bone champion from 2 squares away.)
(A question on Lunge: If I was standing in G9 and there were enemies in H10 and I10, could I lunge them both? What if they were standing in H9 and I9 and I was still in G9?) Caveat: If Bill wants to study a portal this round, my priority will be to help clear out his portal of choice in order to give him a safe place to study.

Details of the minor uncroaked's combat orders: LO2,LO3,LO6, and LO8 will move before the rest of the uncroaked do. Their job is to assist me in attacking and containing the enemies coming out of the portals. L07 will also assist in this if Rolf was able to move for the pin on Trogdor at the start of the round. We will try to arrange things so that no 2 damaged uncroaked are standing next to each other at the end of the next round if at all possible. If all the reformed uncroaked are redusted without requiring the actions of 1 or more of the uncroaked I've named as helping out, then those still with actions are to act like members of the blue man group. (I would prefer it if we were able to finish these new enemies without using the green man group at all, allowing them all to go after Trogdor and minimizing the amount of them that could be turned against us, but I'm not sure if we could do it even with my leadership going to the party.)

If Rolf got the pin on Trogdor early, then L09 and L05 will merely try to place themselves as far back on Trogdor as possible and L07 joins my Portal guarding effort as stated above. If he didn't, then L07 and L05 will try to place themselves on Trogdor's north and south sides. (If Trogdor retreats to the back 3 rows, then they try placing themselves on his front north and south corners. If he goes for a back corner, place L05 in W7 or W4, L07 in V10 or V1, and L09 will move to replace L07 if it dusts or place itself in Trogdor's exposed corner if L05 dusts. ) If Trogdor dusts one of those 2, L09 takes their place. (If Trogdor has already attacked, and both L07 and L05 are still around, L09 acts like a member of the Blue Man group.) Trogdor can make these tactic be not enough to truely pin him by getting into a position 1 square away from the north or south wall, (like he did last round,) but in this case that tactic results in him only being able to back further into a corner on the round after this provided we keep an uncroaked on what sides of him we can get to. He won't be able to get out of range of the Blue Man group after this round.

Members of the Blue man group are to do one of two things: If they are able to get to Trogdor to attack do damage this round, then they are to do so. If they can't, then they are to spread themselves out as loosely as possible while still staying within an 8 square range of the now-pinned Trogdor as to minimize burninate damage.

MarbitChow wrote:Bill would need to get closer to the structures (within 3 squares), and spend at least one full action to try to analyze the portals in greater depth, if such is desired.

The Colonel, if you want Bill to try this out, doing it now, while the number of uncroaked reconstituting each round is still small, is probably the best option. Things will get tougher later. If you want to study the portals, say which one you wish a closer look at and I'll try to clear it.
Swodaems

Postby ETheBoyce » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:30 pm

Another Hoboken! Less effective now...but still damaging!
ETheBoyce

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:02 pm

Swodaems wrote:A question on Lunge: If I was standing in G9 and there were enemies in H10 and I10, could I lunge them both? What if they were standing in H9 and I9 and I was still in G9?)

Lunge works as follows : Pick the 2nd target for Lunge. That target cannot be adjacent to you. If you can draw a straight line between you and that target that can pass through an adjacent enemy's square, and you've got RLOS, you can hit both. So, from G9, you can hit both H10 and I10, or H9 and I9.

The the following examples, T is Tod (or any spearman w/ Lunge), "X" is the primary target, "x" is a valid Lunge target, and "y" is an invalid lunge target.
Code: Select all
Valid Lunge Examples:
..x T.. .T.
TXx .Xx .X.
..x .xx xxx

Invalid Examples:
Ty. T.y
X.. .X.
... ...
MarbitChow

Postby The Colonel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Bill moves in range and begins investigating.
The Colonel

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:33 pm

Triage maintains the same order of healing spells.

Bill, do you need the juice potion?
WaterMonkey314

Postby The Colonel » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:10 am

I don't think so, I'm looking at the ressurector thingy, unless you want me to raise the dead.
The Colonel

Postby Exate » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:32 am

Yuri will continue to hack away at the Bone Dagron and move to pin it if necessary, unless prior to his turn he has been severely mauled (more than half his Hits are missing) in which case he will withdraw.
Exate

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:16 pm

Will shall keep firing mighty shots at the Dragon. Unless some enemy unit is in range, in which case only regular shots will be fired at the Dragon. So far, it looks like we stand a fair chance of winning!
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:37 pm

Just wanted to give you all a heads-up. Work this week looks like it will be hellish, so turn updates may be sporadic or even non-existent for the next few days. I'll keep you posted.
MarbitChow

Postby Swodaems » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:17 am

MarbitChow wrote:Just wanted to give you all a heads-up. Work this week looks like it will be hellish, so turn updates may be sporadic or even non-existent for the next few days. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cupid, I just did the math for your attack without my leadership. Your 8 combat vs enemies that have 2X def vs fire means you'll only have a 1/12 chance of damaging a bone champion for either 1 or 2 damage and no chance at all to damage the Dagron. You might want to try reserving your fire for a reconstituted lesser uncroaked. Since those don't have 2xDef vs fire, you should be able to do (2or3)+2d6 to those, dependant on the reconstituted uncroaked's ability to stack on their recreation round.
Swodaems

Postby HerbieRai » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:21 pm

Don't all the skeletons have x2 def against my fire? I think you should take your leadership off me though and give it to someone who can damage trogdor greater, I'm alright not affecting this fight since I can auto win others.
HerbieRai

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games