Darkness Rising

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising

Postby Werebiscuit » Tue May 22, 2012 10:56 am

OOC :
Bland... I'm not trying to be a D**K but do you still think we need to risk both rams ? I'm still not so sure but then I haven't done extensive math on it
I Still think a caster protected by a swarm & a spearman presents an uninviting target considering it will take 10 archer shots to get to the caster.
One ram protected by a swarm and Spears & guards as needed and finally the fliers including cupid screened by the 3rd swarm.
The rest of us infantry will have to take our chances if we want to go...it doesn't matter on which turn as there will already be better targets in the field.
The remaining casters should hang back /OOC
Werebiscuit

Postby MarbitChow » Tue May 22, 2012 11:02 am

HerbieRai wrote:If the Bats are flying above teh siege, can they still protect them as if they are adjacent?

No. Adjacent means on the same level, and in a neighboring square. In order to keep things simple, If they are flying, they have a different elevation.

Werebiscuit wrote:OOC : do you still think we need to risk both rams ?

Just to make things clear, in case there is uncertainty: the rams themselves are not destroyed if units who are wielding them are slain. Other units can step in and continue to wield the rams. You can also change who wields the rams if you desire. Since it takes 4 units to move the ram, if one unit is slain, another unit will have to move in before the ram can be moved again, and that unit must have at least 5 move left in order to grant the ram a full move.
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue May 22, 2012 11:04 am

OOC:

Werebiscuit wrote:OOC :do you still think we need to risk both rams ?

YES.

1) What else is the second ram for, if not to get to the wall and break it?

2) Two rams are better to send in than one, as they'll get the job done faster assuming they get there.

3) Two rams have a better chance of getting there, as overloading defenses and overwhelming numerical advantage are pretty much constants in any tactical scenario

4) Archers WILL KILL one ram on the way, unless we offer more targets (like a second ram) for distraction AND try to reduce the Archer numbers.

Seems pretty obvious to me./OOC
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Tue May 22, 2012 11:08 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:OOC:

Werebiscuit wrote:OOC :do you still think we need to risk both rams ?

YES.

4) Archers WILL KILL one ram on the way, unless we offer more targets (like a second ram) for distraction AND try to reduce the Archer numbers.

Seems pretty obvious to me./OOC

OOC That's why I was proposing a protected caster and archers.. what say we offer up a sacrificial lamb...er..ram ? /OOC
Werebiscuit

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue May 22, 2012 11:13 am

OOC:

The "second ram" is not sacrificial, but I really don't understand what it is you're not getting. I don't want to be rude also, but if anyone else has a problem understanding what I'm aiming at, please, that person, ask a question, because so far it appears to me I've explained well enough why we need all rams in the field and why this has more to do than just "sacrificial".

In short, there's no point in keeping the second ram in reserve. And I'm the one having problems understanding how that's a good idea. The second ram, in reserve, is useless. It will get to the wall later, if ever. It's not doing anything for us. As opposed to ranged and/or fast units, that can quickly enter combat at any convenient turn, the ram needs to get to the wall. Under enemy fire. Spamming as many targets as we can makes each target less likely to die. And so on. See previous post.
/OOC
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Tue May 22, 2012 11:24 am

MarbitChow wrote:Just to make things clear, in case there is uncertainty: the rams themselves are not destroyed if units who are wielding them are slain. Other units can step in and continue to wield the rams. You can also change who wields the rams if you desire. Since it takes 4 units to move the ram, if one unit is slain, another unit will have to move in before the ram can be moved again, and that unit must have at least 5 move left in order to grant the ram a full move.

OOC I'm basing my sacrificial ram on Marbits statement above. We offer up an unguarded ram with the 3 protected targets they will target the ram... no ?
We have a following squad pick up the weapon and carry on (just like the russians) meanwhile our archers and protected croakamancer (or shockamancer) are creating havoc in their archer line. Hells even a protected healomancer could be a bonus in getting one ram to the wall.

Note it not only has to get to the wall it has to remain intact while being hit by Gumps & archers till it "blows the bl**dy doors off" to quote maurice mickelwhite.
I'll keep setting up scenarios for others to pick apart/OOC
Werebiscuit

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue May 22, 2012 11:42 am

OOC:

Werebiscuit wrote:We offer up an unguarded ram with the 3 protected targets they will target the ram... no ?

No. We have 8 spearmen, and 8 warriors. Two rams carried by in total 8 ram carriers. It works out perfectly to send all rams, with each ram carrier body guarded by a spearman and guarded by a warrior. You seem to confuse "protected target" with one protected by bats.

Also, the ram itself is safe from harm. The carriers we need to worry about. And it's safer and more efficient to send both groups.

Werebiscuit wrote:We have a following squad pick up the weapon and carry on (just like the russians) meanwhile our archers and protected croakamancer (or shockamancer) are creating havoc in their archer line. Hells even a protected healomancer could be a bonus in getting one ram to the wall.

Do the math. I won't do it for you. And assume the Archers have the sense to maximize the damage they deal. You'll find a caster like the Healer will not fare as well in improving our odds as you think.
/OOC
Last edited by BLANDCorporatio on Tue May 22, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Tue May 22, 2012 11:43 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:OOC".In short, there's no point in keeping the second ram in reserve. And I'm the one having problems understanding how that's a good idea. /OOC

OOC please note my keeping it in reserve was based on the misapprehension that once the bearers were killed the ram was useless. keeping one in reserve had the benefit that the first ram in the field was the sacrificial ram allowing our archers to reduce thiers whiles being unmolested.
The archers themselves then became sacrificial for the second ram to reduce their archery as much as possible before sending it into the field. /OOC

{edited to make clear the ooc}
Last edited by Werebiscuit on Tue May 22, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Werebiscuit

Postby The Colonel » Tue May 22, 2012 11:51 am

So raise them as archers?
The Colonel

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue May 22, 2012 11:53 am

OOC: so anyway, recap. Here's a suggestion.

First turn, our moves: stack Our Leader with Cupid and as many Fliers as can fit in that stack. Protect the Leader with a Bat Swarm, and also Cupid.

Have each ram carrier bodyguarded by a spearman, and guarded by a warrior. Send both rams and their guards toward the wall. Wait until they get there, presumably under enemy fire. Some of the guards and or spearmen may be killed, but the ram carriers themselves are safe from croaking, this turn.

Send in the Fliers and the Leader's stack. Fire at {Healer + 1 Archer OR 3 Archers}.

End turn.

Second turn: continue the ranged battle against their archers, wait for the arrows to fly. Bring in the Croakamancer, with a Bat Swarm for protection. Uncroak anything that can be uncroaked inside the castle. Have the uncroaked attack the archers. Move Caster and Bat Swarm to the Siege clump, assign a Spearman, if one is left, to bodyguard the caster. Move Siege clump and caster towards the wall.

End turn.

We'll get to turn three tactics when we get to turn 3.
/OOC
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue May 22, 2012 11:54 am

OOC:
The Colonel wrote:So raise them as archers?

The archers in the castle? Whatever gives us the highest combat. They won't live long, must deal as much damage as they can in their unlife. /OOC
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue May 22, 2012 11:57 am

OOC:

For example, is it plausible for our Croakamancer to Bone Pupeteer three Archers at once? In that case, it may be viable to target three Archers on our first turn, have them strike at the Healer, depending on how much Combat a Skellie has, and oh btw, bringing the Croakamancer in from the first turn. But my guess tells me 3 Skellies can't take out a healer, so it's safer to wait for turn 2 to bring the Croakamancer in.
/OOC
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Tue May 22, 2012 11:58 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:OOC:
The Colonel wrote:So raise them as archers?

The archers in the castle? Whatever gives us the highest combat. They won't live long, must deal as much damage as they can in their unlife. /OOC

OOC no , he means raise the 2 bodies we have carried to the field as archers skeltons to assist our fliers in taking down the front row of their archers. And the answer is yes. /OOC
Werebiscuit

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue May 22, 2012 12:01 pm

OOC: aah, those. Definitely yes, unless raise as Flier is also an option./OOC
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Tue May 22, 2012 12:02 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:OOC: so anyway, recap. Here's a suggestion.

First turn, our moves: stack Our Leader with Cupid and as many Fliers as can fit in that stack. Protect the Leader with a Bat Swarm, and also Cupid.

Have each ram carrier bodyguarded by a spearman, and guarded by a warrior. Send both rams and their guards toward the wall. Wait until they get there, presumably under enemy fire. Some of the guards and or spearmen may be killed, but the ram carriers themselves are safe from croaking, this turn.

Send in the Fliers and the Leader's stack. Fire at {Healer + 1 Archer OR 3 Archers}.

End turn.
/OOC

OOC Am I misunderstanding you or are you proposing to use only 1 swarm of bats when we have 3 at our disposal ? /OOC
Werebiscuit

Postby MarbitChow » Tue May 22, 2012 12:08 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:OOC: aah, those. Definitely yes, unless raise as Flier is also an option./OOC

Fliers cost 4 AP, and skeletons only have 3 AP for creation.
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue May 22, 2012 12:09 pm

OOC:

Werebiscuit wrote: OOC Am I misunderstanding you or are you proposing to use only 1 swarm of bats when we have 3 at our disposal ? /OOC

Yes you are :roll: One swarm for our leader, one swarm for Cupid, and the third for the Croakamancer. So all three, just not necessarily all three from the first turn. :) /OOC
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Tue May 22, 2012 12:09 pm

One quick clarification, in case it wasn't obvious: In order to gain XP from the Uncroaked kills, the Croakamancer must also be in the combat zone. You cannot gain XP from another Hex.
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue May 22, 2012 12:11 pm

OOC:

MarbitChow wrote:One quick clarification, in case it wasn't obvious: In order to gain XP from the Uncroaked kills, the Croakamancer must also be in the combat zone. You cannot gain XP from another Hex.

That's fine by me. If we decide to insert the Croakamancer on the second turn, that's when the uncroaked will start actually doing stuff anyway./OOC
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby HerbieRai » Tue May 22, 2012 12:46 pm

How long before orders are due? If we're going off of 1 day timer we should get this show on the road.
HerbieRai

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games