Darkness Rising

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:07 am

T. Coil
Attempting to trace down rumors first, Coil finds it difficult to find people who are willing to talk to him. Most casters excuse themselves when he approaches, and one or two actively glare at him. He is unable to pick up any information about either Zoltarus or about the Breathearian casters. Coil remembers why he stopped coming to the Magic Kingdom, but memories of previous trips do spur an idea.

Coil seeks out Rihanna Waitcher, a Turnamancer that he had gotten drunk with on several different occasions. Currently unemployed, she agreed to help him out. She offered to turn each unit for 1000 shmuckers, plus increase the city's production for a turn for free if she was hired to turn both. (Coil seemed to recall from previous conversations that her normal rates were significantly higher.) She required one condition, however: Coil had to spend the evening with her, practicing his 'techniques' on her. Coil remembers fondly from their previous encounters that she responded to all forms of pain in a very pleasurable way.

(If Tesla accepts, both Junetta and Wandereus will be turned prior to the start of Tenebris' Turn 6, and 3 mounts will pop instead of 2.)

Bill, Yuri & Rolf
Once the contract is signed, the Archons seem more than willing to spend quiet evenings with the warriors and, oddly, the croakamancer as well. Buffy and Faith seem more than willing to spend the evening secluded in the warriors' rooms, and Bill finds an out-of-the-way nook to demonstrate his attempts at making the uncroaked marbits dance. Rona finds them highly entertaining, and offers to show Bill some of the dance moves other archons have taught her - not enough to qualify for dance-fighting, but enough to capture most men's attention. She explains that many of the moves require a slender pole mounted securely to the floor and ceiling, but there are still a number of others that just need a chair.

Cupid, Triage, Vinny, Brick, William
The remaining free-willed units in Dis City all spend as much time as possible avoiding the public areas in general, to avoid running into the Archons. At some point in the evening, a poker game breaks out.

Tod
Tod broods.
MarbitChow

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:20 am

Werebiscuit wrote:OOC Sorted ! Thanks Marbit ! Quick response much appreciated/ OOC

I've added in the leadership units (they were in the draft, I just failed to copy them). Also added the uncroaked, the flier, and the Brickabats to the roster.
MarbitChow

Postby Werebiscuit » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:17 am

MarbitChow wrote:
Werebiscuit wrote:OOC Sorted ! Thanks Marbit ! Quick response much appreciated/ OOC

I've added in the leadership units (they were in the draft, I just failed to copy them). Also added the uncroaked, the flier, and the Brickabats to the roster.

Thanks for that.
In reserve I think we also have 5 bodies ( 2 from the marbits and 3 previously but I'll need to check)
Werebiscuit

Postby 0beron » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:37 am

When we go on-turn, Vinny will craft the 2 cloaks currently requested of him. If you have changes to these requests, or additional ones, please inform him as such.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby The Colonel » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:58 am

TELSA TELSA! TELSA! 2k SMUCK FOR BONUS PRODUCTION? YES!

Bodies, We have and I quote, more than he can possibly use.

Bill, blushes and awkwardly accepts the offer, obtaing a *clears throat*, chair, not wanting to ask the Dollamancer.
Last edited by The Colonel on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Colonel

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:07 am

The Colonel wrote:Bodies, We have and I quote, more than he can possibly use.

That's been retcon'd. Bill didn't have the juice or mass-raise spells back then. :D
MarbitChow

Postby Swodaems » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:26 am

MarbitChow wrote:Tod
Tod broods.
the content of Tod's brooding thoughts:
"I know I told Creperum that I could get Charlie to agree to reneg on the contract by threatening to take advantage of it, but I do have my doubts about doing that. I can think of two mutually exclusive ways for us to take advantage of the fact that the contract includes a nondisclosure penalty for us that is defined as being 0. If the activation of one penalty renders the rest of the contract void, then we can get out of it simply by telling the elves that we have a contract with Charlie. If multiple clauses can be activated, then we can tell the elves that we have a contract with Charlie and then lie about the contents. We say something that makes him appear as an enemy to the elves and then he wouldn't be able to correct us and would have to do the whole 'I can neither confirm or deny' thing or risk paying us. (A good lie to tell the Elves would be that we are using Charlie to keep the majority of our treasury in escrow. If we fall, then he is contracted to use the money to subsidize the contracts of any other side that wishes to hire him to attack the elves.) The taking Dis in lieu of payment clause may or may not be abusable by first razing it ourselves, emptying it except for a token archer, and then having that archer attack. "
"We need to prepare for having to live with the contract as written. If we're lucky, Charlie is scouting us out for a reason like 'the elves aren't good customers' and he doesn't really have a gambit in mind. If there is a gambit in it, it could be many things: He could be expecting a contract from the elves shortly after the non-aggression period ends and wants to scout us for risks now. He may have ways to get around the nondisclosure. There could be a large amount of Archons 4 or more turns out from Dis. The non communication clause is only in effect after the non aggression ends, so Charlie has the whole period of the alliance and nonaggression to talk to the elves and the elves can still call him after the non-aggression ends."
"We need to decide what information needs to be kept secret from Charlie and what doesn't. (Of course, we need to be realistic about our goals.) Depending on the definition of what can and cannot be disclosed, we may find ourselves wanting to tell Charlie things about our side so he cannot make educated guesses about them using information that he cannot disclose. T. Coil's name alone may be a bad thing to have out there. Up until now, I've assumed that the elves would deduce our capital is the city that used to be Farkistan based simply off the proximity to Dis. But if they don't already know that, then they could use T. Coil's name to figure it out because of his history with them. (Leaving T. Coil in Tenebris is an option.) We also may want to hide the presence of some of our magical gear. (Leaving T. Coil's and my magical gear here is an option.) I'll need to ask the casters if there is a way to hide things from the archons' spell sight. (Wrapping them in either regular or magical cloth?) Since Charlie makes alot of his money off of selling thinkagrams, we may want to hide the presence of our thinkamancy-capable item and artifact more than the presence of the other items. If they can tell when someone is receiving a thinkgram, then calling the group while it is still in the city is out of the question."
"There will be an opportunity for me to arrange a covert thinkagram to the group and find out what they have learned from and said to the archons before entering the city. The imp scouts will make their rounds at the beginning of our turn. Creperum or I can contact one of them when our turn starts and Creperum's ruler senses tell him that it is out of sight range of the city. That imp can be used to get a message to the group telling them to come outside the city to either meet with me physically or via thinkamancy."

(MarbitChow, what's this talk of an evening? Shouldn't it still be morning if our turn hasn't started yet?)
Swodaems

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:39 am

Swodaems wrote:(MarbitChow, what's this talk of an evening? Shouldn't it still be morning if our turn hasn't started yet?)

Yeah - sorry - working in 2 time periods. Coil's Magic Kingdom exploration takes place off-turn, at night, on Turn 5. Rihanna returns with him before the start of the turn, modifies production, turns Junetta and Wandereus, collects her 2,000 shmuckers and heads out.

Charlie ends turn once the contract has been signed.

3 Naughty Kitties pop in Tenebris, and 2 more vanilla archers pop in Dis.

I had assumed that, for their turn, Yuri, Rolf, and Bill would attempt to entertain the Archons in their quarters all day. If they do, it will be successful, and each of them will "take one (or many) for the team", as it were.

Let me know if there was anything else you wanted done on Turn 5 before you left the city. I'm currently assuming that Junetta and Wandereus will be heading back to Dis with you and Coil on the Balrug, and and 3 more archers will be riding the mounts back to Dis.
MarbitChow

Postby Exate » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:05 pm

That sounds in line with Yuri's plans. He'll be sure to quietly pass orders to the others in the city at some point that the Archons are not to be informed that we took the ruins hex, and definitely not told about anything that we found there. They're also to avoid mentioning any details about our side's holdings, history, or capabilities that isn't obvious- for example, the fact that we have a healamancer and dollamancer can't be effectively hidden since we're getting more cloaks and wards and such, but the exact spells they know certainly can.

And hey, there's something to be said for having a cute woman in one's quarters all day. No reason not to enjoy it.
Exate
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby The Colonel » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:35 pm

SOMEONE! HIDE THAT TROPHY!
The Colonel

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:34 pm

FYI : The archons reveal the location of the Elven army. You'll have eyes on it next turn.

I've updated the Reference page w/ treasury information, and updated Tod's character stats.

The next week will probably have slow responses again, since I'll be traveling on business and the hotel didn't have functioning WiFi last time I was there.
MarbitChow

Postby Swodaems » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:51 pm

MarbitChow wrote:3 Naughty Kitties pop in Tenebris, and 2 more vanilla archers pop in Dis.
I should have said something before, but I was thinking of popping another turn of imp scouts in Dis. We just finished off filling up a full 8 stack of archers, so it seemed like a good time.

MarbitChow wrote:
Swodaems wrote:(MarbitChow, what's this talk of an evening? Shouldn't it still be morning if our turn hasn't started yet?)

Yeah - sorry - working in 2 time periods. Coil's Magic Kingdom exploration takes place off-turn, at night, on Turn 5. Rihanna returns with him before the start of the turn, modifies production, turns Junetta and Wandereus, collects her 2,000 shmuckers and heads out.
I would like to talk to Rihanna before she leaves and ask her what the price of regularly modifying our capital's output would be. (Paid either on a per turn basis, or as an extended contract for a period of turns.)

MarbitChow wrote:Buffy, Faith, and Rona set down. Buffy takes Yuri's arm, and Faith clings to Rolf. Buffy says, "Now that we're friends, why don't you introduce us to the shockamancer who charged up these towers, the healamancer who warded you so well, and the dollamancer who made such fine cloaks? We've got plenty of time. It will be four turns before the elves get here."

The word turn is overloaded in Erfworld. If she means 4 elf turns, then she's saying that the elves arrive in the bottom of Day/Turn 9. If she equating turns to days, then she could be saying that the elves arrive in the bottom of Day/Turn 10. (The same problem actually exists in the contract as well. Does the 3 turn alliance period end after the end of turn on Day/Turn 8 or 9? This is another exploitable issue in the contract.) (Of course, we would have to take her at her word about the timing of the Elf attack.)

MarbitChow wrote:Let me know if there was anything else you wanted done on Turn 5 before you left the city. I'm currently assuming that Junetta and Wandereus will be heading back to Dis with you and Coil on the Balrug, and and 3 more archers will be riding the mounts back to Dis.
I want to try getting more information out of Wandereus and Junetta again. I'll ask her things about the other Breathearian casters and I'll ask him about the other warlords. After our turn starts, but before setting out to Dis, I want to use the Bracer to call an imp scout out on patrol, so that I can discretely order Yuri and a couple other PCs out of the city where I can use the bracer to thinkagram them without the archons seeing them receive it. I need a chance to get everything straight with them before I go back and I want the casters' consult on keeping items hidden from spell sight.
Swodaems

Postby The Colonel » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:54 pm

Swod, The elves are four turns away. We will know when they are coming in a turn. Remember the three turn warning for the elves? I remember marbit saying that our scouts will be able to see the Elves when they are three turns away from the city.
The Colonel

Postby ETheBoyce » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:54 pm

T. Coil is far more than happy to accept the deal Rihanna (who might be bad but is very good at it) and uses all the things he's learned from his gained levels since their last encounter. he will also ask her if she knows anything about those casters Tod wanted to know about, but he won't really care too much. T. Coil will also investigate her interest in becoming a member of the Tenebris side, new casters are always useful!
ETheBoyce
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:16 pm

Swodaems wrote: I should have said something before, but I was thinking of popping another turn of imp scouts in Dis. We just finished off filling up a full 8 stack of archers, so it seemed like a good time.

OOC What we're short of in Dis is level 1 warriors (we've only 5) and at least 1 bodyguard (we have 6 to guard 3 unit leaders and 4 mancers)

We could do with an extra member for each stack. We already have 8 spearmen and, now, 8 archers ( this makes extras for the stack as we will have to include a leader {and possibly a bodyguard for him}) in each stack. However even with the leader + bodyguard we are short for the 1st level warrior stack unless we include all the bodyguards.

see here about stack discussion /OOC
Werebiscuit

Postby LTDave » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:28 pm

Does this game require a PG rating?

I'm pretty sure The Colonel is too young to be exposed to this sort of stuff...
LTDave

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:08 pm

There will be no explicit descriptions of violence, torture, or sex. I've tried to keep the content to the same level as the comic.
But if, at any time, anything I say makes anyone uncomfortable, please PM me and let me know.
MarbitChow

Postby LTDave » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:28 pm

PM? Is that a euphemism?

(my comments were intended in jest - while I am personally horrified at the idea of carrying corpses around, at least you guys aren't eating them...)
LTDave

Postby 0beron » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:07 pm

PM = Private Message
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby LTDave » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:36 pm

Is that a euphemism?

(I'll stop posting here now. Sorry for the inconvenience)
LTDave

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games