Darkness Rising

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:46 pm

0beron wrote:Don't we already have and make scrolls....?
Have? Yes. Make? No. All scrolls that the players have were either (1) given at the start of the game or (2) found as treasure in the Ruin Hex.

0beron wrote:If anything, Potions are MORE powerful than scrolls because anyone can use them
But you can't make a Hoboken potion. The potions that can be created are limited primarily to Healmancy, Juice, and Luck. Scrolls allow casters to share spells - it would be like William being able to craft bows to grant fire to Yuri for a few shots.

0beron wrote:Casters have juice that might otherwise be wasted during their downtime, whereas non-casters aren't wasting anything during downtime (besides the chance to be in battle and gain XP, which is universal to all units)
Casters already have plenty to spend their juice on. This isn't a caster vs. non-caster issue; it's a player issue. Do all players have something to occupy their characters during downtime? Casters do (some casters more than others), but melee (other than Tod) doesn't.
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:54 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
0beron wrote:Don't we already have and make scrolls....?
Have? Yes. Make? No. All scrolls that the players have were either (1) given at the start of the game or (2) found as treasure in the Ruin Hex.

Aaaaah I see. Okay then, I thought that you were considering taking it away from us after we already had it, so that was the motivation behind my arguments.

As an alternative however, perhaps I could suggest this?
We know casters "can" craft scrolls, so perhaps you could offer it as an off-screen option for us if we visit the MK? That we are able to craft a scroll and sell or trade it for something of equal value in the MK? This way we could rarely obtain some scrolls in schools we don't have, or generate occasional income, without any potential for abuse in turn-to-turn gameplay?
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:01 pm

0beron wrote:We know casters "can" craft scrolls, so perhaps you could offer it as an off-screen option for us if we visit the MK?

You will be able to purchase scrolls from the Magic Kingdom - especially since that was the official source of the first set of scrolls that the players got - but you won't be able to make them.
MarbitChow

Postby Werebiscuit » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:19 pm

0beron wrote:Casters have juice that might otherwise be wasted during their downtime, whereas non-casters aren't wasting anything during downtime (besides the chance to be in battle and gain XP, which is universal to all units)

As I see it Its a move to remove potential sources of abuse. Casters can only "waste" juice because they have the potential to do something with the juice that makes them more powerful. Non-casters cannot "waste" anything because they have no way of gaining power during downtime (apart from the roleplay XP which is a source of advancement to everyone and wouldn't preclude scroll-making were it available).

Now I'm not arguing for non-caster activities - Rolf is good enough at keeping himself busy be it guarding, nosying around libraries, questioning prisoners or converts that I am able to invent which has the potential to gain, insights or information that will make the group as a whole stronger and better equipped to face enemies, that I as a player don't see the lack of non caster activities. These activities and /or opportunities are what you make of them.

To get some insights (like the marbit caster) and maybe some xp into the bargain is reward enough in my opinion
Werebiscuit

Postby Lord of Monies » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:50 pm

As a new non-caster, I wouldn't mind another option as I'm not entirely sure of what else I can do. Maybe that is my own fault for not thinking of something to do even if I admit in character that I don't know what to do. I reckon once Brick has been through a battle with everyone then I'll have more to say and do, but until the elves arrive I'm not going to be doing much (also due in part to being a bit busy irl).
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby Swodaems » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Exate wrote:"Croaking flying girls is not possible with tricky veils."
Reading this has made me realize that I have some questions on the spot check rules.
MarbitChow wrote:Spot Check : Any unit with Leadership and any caster can negate a Foolamancy by making a Spot check. Unit rolls 1d6 / level; if total exceeds the Foolamancer's Defense + Foolamancy Spell Modifier (FSM*), the Unit can see through the spell. A unit can attempt to make one spot check for each enemy unit concealed by Foolamancy. A success on any unit reveals all units under the same spell.

First, when does a character's spot check happen? (At the beginning of each rould, when it is time for the character to act, immediately after the spell is cast, whenever there is a possible interaction between a veiled unit and a character who can spot check, etc?) Next, do spot checks consume any actions of the character making them or are they 'free'? Thirdly, do leadership bonuses on the foolamancer factor into the checks? (If they do, how do you handle the possibility that the foolamancer may have different bonuses at the time the spell is cast and when the check is made?) Lastly, once a single character makes a successful spot check, can other characters attack units the spotter can see? (In essence, can we make like Old McBushybrows?)

ETheBoyce wrote:The last spell he puts up he will likely leave up to Tod as their is currently no Chief Caster, only a Chief Warlord.
This should be another ickypron spell. You should have enough juice in turns 6,7, and 8 to finish hanging all three spells on the tower. That's good since turn 9 is when we expect the attack to reach the city.

MarbitChow wrote:Every time you cross a hex border, your movement is reduced by the movement cost of the hex, whether you're mounted or not. Mounts and Transports allow you to cross hex borders when you have no remaining move (as long as you are not a garrison unit), as long as they have move remaining.
This annoyingly does disrupt my movement plans. The Wandereus, Junetta, T. Coil and Tod group will have to ride the balrug all the way back to Dis on turn 6 instead of getting off 8 hexes away and walking the rest of the way there. (We need Junetta and T.Coil in Dis on turn 6 so they can get to work.) Unfortunately, this means the archons will see the balrug. If we keep the balrug in dis city overnight, then the archons may try to follow it when it goes back to Tenebris on the following turn. After it gets to Dis, we should send it 8 hexes back out with a couple npc riders. They walk back in the morning and the balrug goes the rest of the way back to tenebris by itself after the mounts approaching from Tenebris have had a chance to check the route first.

Exate wrote:Once things move to reporting the simple status of the city, Yuri is much more comfortable and gives a full and detailed, if grammatically abominable, report on the city's status, the casters' activities, the scouts' reports, and the Archons' recent Thinkagram image.

At the in-game time we're having the conversation, I'm unsure if the imps have actually managed to get eyes on the invading force yet.

The manner in which I carry on with the rest of the conversation with Yuri depends on how the questions regarding spot checks are answered. If it was possible for Yuri and his force to have downed the two archons capable of hiya before they could use it, Tod will be somewhat relieved that Yuri had a misconception about the situation and go into kind advice mode to tell him how it could have been dealt with aggressively. Otherwise, he calmly receives Yuri's report and mentally decides that he needs to watch Yuri for any insubordination problems in the future.

I finish the conversation by saying "Yuri, please tell our guests that I will be arriving in Dis city later this turn and arrange for them to be invited to a dinner feast. I need a good setting to politely question them about Charlie's intentions. Dinner would also be a good time to tell them that, from now on, any unallied archon that enters the airspace of one of our cities without first stopping at a hex barrier and getting invited in will be treated as an aggressor."

(MarbitChow, The contract is a bit light on definitions of what counts as an act of aggression. Is that something you already have a strict definition for or are we intended to make it up as we go? (Within reasonable bounds of course.) (If I wanted to, could I get away with dismissing the archons from the garrison by having our heavies pick them up and throw them off the towers?))

On turns 6,7, and 8, Junetta should be using up her juice placing minor wards on the units Triage doesn't have the juice to place full wards on.

When Tod hears about the marbit dollamancer, his first thought is that this is an issue that should wait until after the battle. (Finding a Marbit dollamancer wouldn't be useful to us without further help from Rihanna. We established during the marbit fight in the ruins hex that marbits are hostile to our side.) His second thought, after hearing the theory that the marbit dollamancer was the one that created the items in the ruins is to paranoidly seek out a private meeting with Vinny. He asks the dollamancer to find some innocent pretense to ask Wandereus to allow Vinny to examine the magical blade Wandereus carries. Vinny is then to check if the blade was made by the same person who made the items found in the ruins and report the result to Tod. Tod also asks that Vinny please not tell anyone else about this request. "I don't want Wandereus and Junetta to think I'm being overly suspicious. While I do trust them, I'm the sort to want some verification of that trust."
Swodaems

Postby Werebiscuit » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:40 pm

Swodaems wrote:
MarbitChow wrote:Every time you cross a hex border, your movement is reduced by the movement cost of the hex, whether you're mounted or not. Mounts and Transports allow you to cross hex borders when you have no remaining move (as long as you are not a garrison unit), as long as they have move remaining.
This annoyingly does disrupt my movement plans. The Wandereus, Junetta, T. Coil and Tod group will have to ride the balrug all the way back to Dis on turn 6 instead of getting off 8 hexes away and walking the rest of the way there. (We need Junetta and T.Coil in Dis on turn 6 so they can get to work.) Unfortunately, this means the archons will see the balrug.

OOC I'm not sure it's a necessity for Junetta to be in Dis as we can arrange for units that need a ward to go to her. T.coil presents a problem as we can't bring the towers to him but he should be able to store a lower juice spell in the 3 turns (7, 8 & 9) depending on when the elves attack as our turn should be 1st. This leaves him low on juice for the battle but nothing a potion or two won't cure. It means that the balrug can drop them off in turn 6 and they can walk in on turn 7 without the archons ever knowing about the balrug for the cost of a (renewable) juice potion or two.
The question then becomes is protecting the information worth the cost of a juice potion or two? It's not Rolf's call but I know which way he sides on the question

{Edited to note} T.coil can actually use turn 6 while stranded to create juice potions, thus not wasting a full turn/OOC

Swodaems wrote:When Tod hears about the marbit dollamancer, his first thought is that this is an issue that should wait until after the battle. (Finding a Marbit dollamancer wouldn't be useful to us without further help from Rihanna. We established during the marbit fight in the ruins hex that marbits are hostile to our side.)

OOC Rolf suggested that it should be investigated after the battle. He also suggested discreet investigation as it may provoke another fight -since marbits are hostile but to have a potentially hostile and potentially high level mancer on the borders of our second city presents a risk as well as an opportunity and should not go uninvestigated. /OOC
Last edited by Werebiscuit on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Werebiscuit

Postby ETheBoyce » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:15 am

Werebiscuit wrote:" Ah... Coil ! ..Or should I call you Tesla ? I've been meaning to speak to you about all this gear you're collecting." smiles Rolf "No , no don't worry...I'm not looking for a share. Well. Not personally... You see you've lots of potions and scrolls and ...well...I was wondering if it would not make more sense for some of then to be.. " gives an apologetic shrug "...better distributed. Think about it, man. I'm asking if you would not be better off giving Brick, who by the way will be your bodyguard, a potion that will keep his hits up. Hits he will use to shift damage from yourself, so in effect its like you were drinking the potion and yet without having to lose the chance of casting a spell. Does that not sound better, drinking a renew while still being able to cast ? "flashes an encouraging smile *
*Rolf coughs to clear his throat* "Also..." he continues "You're going to be quite busy casting all sorts of spells at the elves so I doubt you'll have much time to cast any of those healing scrolls you're lugging around. If you give them to Vinny, our dollamancer, you might still see the benfit of them. He will be almost unemployed in the battle having no offensive spells so he is ideally suited to be casting from scrolls. I'm sure he'd be able to return the favour by giving you a clo...ah...you have one. So much the better. I'd ask for a restore potion for him but can see that would be better employed by your good self as no doubt your juice will be a major factor in tipping the battle." *spreads his hands in an imploring gesture * "So what do you say ?"

T. Coil considers the Heavy in front of him, a strong unit, perhaps a useful specimen? Time would tell.

"Coil if you please. The scrolls I don't particularly want, they do rather the opposite of my forte and so while potentially useful are not something I am too attached to. The potion is a bit more of a sticking point as I do not know this "Brick" I do not know if he will stick by me taking the hits or run off to try and slice our enemies leaving me vulnerable to the arrows of outrageous fortune. That said, I have no need for this cloak currently, as I doubt I will find myself in melee combat."
ETheBoyce
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:18 am

" Very well then, Coil it is. Ah of course, You've not met our latest recruits have you ?....But then... You have a cloak..." a puzzled frown crosses his face ".... so you must have met our dollamancer at least." he brightens " Nevermind, Come I'll introduce you to Brick. You can judge his trustworthiness for yourself." As they walk he continues " He's newly popped and a bit wet behind the ears, but as a line unit, I'd stake my life with his" He stops and grimly chuckles before continuing "Someday soon I may have to".
Werebiscuit

Postby ETheBoyce » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:47 am

"This cloak was in my chambers when I arrived, I have not yet conversed with the Dollamancer. I am currently less concerned with holding a line than deflecting incoming arrows. This coming battle, I do not plan to let them have a chance at melee combat, Their Commander should be dead the moment he shows his face or soon after, between the Ballitsae and my own considerable power. Then it is simply a matter of destroying their siege and the battle will be, in effect, won."
ETheBoyce

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:49 am

" Ah.. that explains it then. Being a field unit I do not pretend to understand the wonders of thinkamancy." Rolf smiles happily " As far as I am aware Brick has been trained as a bodyguard, so holding the line will not be his concern in the coming battle either. Taking one of those arrows for you might, however, but as he is newly popped he may not have the chance to do that many times without some reinforcement of his health. Which is why I was asking about your potion." *adopts a serious expression* " Personally, I, would trust him with my life but it's your life... " *smiles easily* " so you must make the decision"
Werebiscuit

Postby Lord of Monies » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:35 pm

Brick was busying himself with training once again. As he understood it - and his understanding went as far as his thought process did - being a bodyguard was a simple and complex position to have. The simple part? Defend an important ally. Complex? Fulfilling the prior criteria. There were as many ways to defend a person as there were to attack one, so to be the best bodyguard he could be Brick had to be ready for any attack. This was not an easy feat, hence why he was training.

A warrior and a caster made their way towards him. Suddenly he realised he was wrong. There were more ways to defend a person than there were to attack. His charge wasn't going to stand still and do nothing, after all. They would have their own job which Brick would have to make sure occured without too much difficulty. Brick would have to be ready for any attack while also being on the move and following the orders of his charge. A question occured to him. How do you train for that? Simple. Get to know your charge. Complex? Getting to know your charge. Brick slotted his sword into place on his back and turned, ready to meet his approaching allies. Now, how to do this. Formal? Casual? Commanding? How do you talk to a caster? He hedged his bets on formal.

"Greetings. How can I help?"
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:54 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
0beron wrote:We know casters "can" craft scrolls, so perhaps you could offer it as an off-screen option for us if we visit the MK?

You will be able to purchase scrolls from the Magic Kingdom - especially since that was the official source of the first set of scrolls that the players got - but you won't be able to make them.

Oh sorry I missed this response!
My point was can we actually generate INCOME from activities in the MK? Or are the scrolls we buy always going to have to come from the side's treasury?
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:16 pm

Lord of Monies wrote:Brick was busying himself with training once again. As he understood it - and his understanding went as far as his thought process did - being a bodyguard was a simple and complex position to have. The simple part? Defend an important ally. Complex? Fulfilling the prior criteria. There were as many ways to defend a person as there were to attack one, so to be the best bodyguard he could be Brick had to be ready for any attack. This was not an easy feat, hence why he was training.

A warrior and a caster made their way towards him. Suddenly he realised he was wrong. There were more ways to defend a person than there were to attack. His charge wasn't going to stand still and do nothing, after all. They would have their own job which Brick would have to make sure occured without too much difficulty. Brick would have to be ready for any attack while also being on the move and following the orders of his charge. A question occured to him. How do you train for that? Simple. Get to know your charge. Complex? Getting to know your charge. Brick slotted his sword into place on his back and turned, ready to meet his approaching allies. Now, how to do this. Formal? Casual? Commanding? How do you talk to a caster? He hedged his bets on formal.

"Greetings. How can I help?"

"That depends on what you're prepared to do" Rolf laughed easily " It may be that we can help you" he glanced sidelong at Coil to see his reaction "Brick, this is Coil...our shockamancer. Coil..Brick. I've been trying to get Coil to give you a little present that should help you in your task. However, Coil here is ...well, lets just say he wants convincing of your dedication to his defense. That can only properly be demonstrated by you, hence why I've brought him here. ....and now I think it's best you explain how you 'can' help him" he waited, eyes aglow with mirth, to see who would speak first.
Werebiscuit

Postby The Colonel » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:34 am

I can work as a merc in the MK for a while.
The Colonel

Postby Lord of Monies » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:06 pm

"Well," Brick thought for a moment on how to go with this. He settled for thinking as he went. "The bottom line is I can take hits for you. As a caster, regardless of level, you're of more use to the whole battle than I could ever be. Therefore I need to make sure you can do whatever it is you need to do without being bothered. Or at least bothered as little as possible. To that end, if you're who I'm protecting then I'll follow your orders and be where ever you need me to be that makes it convenient for you. I'll keep an eye out myself, of course, and cover you for blind spots, but you know what you're doing better than I could hope to guess so it's your call where I am." He had another thought process which had a blockade warning him he would be shooting himself in the foot here, but he'd started talking so he kept on going.

"The same applies to whatever this 'present' might be. Whether you think it's better in my hands or yours is up to you. My job, as I said, is to take hits for you. If this can help me in my job then it may be worth considering, otherwise it remains your call."
Lord of Monies

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:02 am

" See ?" interrupted Rolf, looking expectantly at Coil "I knew I'd made a safe bet. Brick knows the essence of a bodyguard is that you're there. Not running around trying to be the hero. Now does he deserve help in that task or not ?"
Werebiscuit

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:31 pm

Just a quick note to keep you all informed: the next major update will be on Sunday. Keep up that RP XP! :)
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:33 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Just a quick note to keep you all informed: the next major update will be on Sunday. Keep up that RP XP! :)

Sorry I went for an NPC for my conversation...I didn't expect it to have such a delay/cause a problem. Is it just assumed that Junetta and I talked the rest of the turn or what....?
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:17 pm

0beron wrote:Sorry I went for an NPC for my conversation...I didn't expect it to have such a delay/cause a problem. Is it just assumed that Junetta and I talked the rest of the turn or what....?
Yes, that's a safe assumption. For conversations that don't impact the next scenario, they can be resolved in flashbacks. Hopefully next week my workload will be a bit lighter. :D
MarbitChow

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games