Darkness Rising

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising

Postby Swodaems » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:36 am

MarbitChow wrote:
Swodaems wrote:(MarbitChow, how soon after the enemy warlord and mount enter the hex can they be considered dodging? If we have people waiting to fire on them as soon as they cross the hex barrier, can we hit them before they get into position to dodge?)
They can cross the hex border while already dodging, since the modifier lasts until they act.
Team, croaking that warlord early is going to be interesting. To hit the warlord with something besides spells, we have to dismount him with either a dismount manuver or by croaking his mount. Both of these options are going to be difficult in light of the mount's 39 def (taking into account leadership, dance-fighting, and dodge bonuses.) T. Coil is good for about 20+~7 def-ignoring damage in a round, but our only other source of def ignoring damage that can hit units on the ground is the heck pups and those have to get close before attacking. Using a ballista, Will can do about 2*(2+~14) to a 39 def target. (Assuming he doesn't lose his +2 from his bow.) Also using a ballista, and adding in mighty blow, Rolf can do 2*(-8+~14). This is ~69 damage we can pile on the mount in 1 round.

The mount has a max health of 60 and a -16 ward. It can be healed for 64 hits at the start of each round by the alt elves if they cluster on it. On our first round, I don't think we'll end up doing more than blowing the mount's ward off and watch any other damage be healed. We could put the mount down in the second round, but only if it decides to stick around. It is faster than T. Coil and has the overland hex move to step out of and then back into the hex 8 times.

MarbitChow wrote:
Swodaems wrote:And Junetta said that the elves are fighting on another front. Does she know the name of the enemy or enemies the elves are fighting?
They are fighting with Ix (prounounced 'icks').
Do we know any pertinent information about this side? (Name of ruler or Chief warlord, what elven cities they border, how the war is going, etc)
Swodaems

Postby Exate » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:45 am

For both targeting the Gumptions and the warlord, we could really use some archers with Support or Coordinate. That's been pretty much the power combo for taking out high-defense targets since the start, and the elves are certainly using it. Are all our units locked into other builds at this point, or is it still possible to have some? A few bonus points of Combat on our ballistas or Will could go a very long way here.
Exate
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:46 am

True it is going to be tricky, but what other course do we have? Of course how play play out their maneuvers will influence our strategy, but given the bonus that warlord provides, that has to be a priority. Also we need to consider not just the bonus, but the loss of command. Without a leader to issue orders, the Elves will be auto engaging and attacking without any strategy.
Also...if the healers actually cluster up on the Warlord, then they're not healing any of the other units, so part of our force will easily be taking out the rest of the army.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:47 am

Swodaems wrote:Do we know any pertinent information about this side? (Name of ruler or Chief warlord, what elven cities they border, how the war is going, etc)
No. Junetta and Wandereus have been on the opposite side of the elven lands, and have no information about the war.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby Werebiscuit » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:54 am

MarbitChow wrote:
Swodaems wrote:Do we know any pertinent information about this side? (Name of ruler or Chief warlord, what elven cities they border, how the war is going, etc)
No. Junetta and Wandereus have been on the opposite side of the elven lands, and have no information about the war.

OOC Charlie will..it's his business /OOc
Werebiscuit

Postby Lord of Monies » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:01 pm

I can imagine that information not being free, though. I don't think it's in our best interest to find out about Icks right away. As it's on the other side of the elven territory, it's not something we're likely to encounter for some time anyway.
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby The Colonel » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:35 pm

Befriend a distant state while attacking a neighbor, Strategem 23
The Colonel

Postby 0beron » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Hey guys, I know this is unrelated but this seemed like a decent place to ask, is there anyone interested in Co-GMing the Erfgame 3 game going on right now? We had 2 GMs at the beginning, but one went totally AWOL without so much as an apology, and the load seems to be getting to be quite a lot for just Kaed to handle. So I just figured I would put it out there, if you're interested just come say so on our thread.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:27 pm

Exate wrote:Are all our units locked into other builds at this point, or is it still possible to have some?
You still have 2 turns worth of units to pop. Tod's original orders were for 2 Garrison Archers w/ Dance Fighting + Beefy each turn, but you could replace either the Beefy or the Dance Fighting w/ Support & Coordinate, if you choose to.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby The Colonel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:32 am

Dudes, is it a good idea to raise the uncroaked a turn before the elves arrive? Also, my distraction idea, good? No good?
The Colonel

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:25 am

The Colonel wrote:Dudes, is it a good idea to raise the uncroaked a turn before the elves arrive? Also, my distraction idea, good? No good?

I assume that you're going to negate normal decay on your uncroaked on turn 9. Since you need to spend 24 Juice to maintain 6 units, you might as well at least create 2 more units on the turn before, bringing the total to 8. You could uncroak another 4 on the previous turn, but then you'll have to spend another 12 Juice to maintain them, when you could just spend the same 12 Juice on turn 9 and uncroak some of the dead elven units right in their midst.

Preparation Checklist :
Once the following items have been determined, we can start the next scenario.
Bill - needs to determine if he uncroaks anything on Turn 8, and if so, what.
Triage - needs to determine who gets warded, and whether any wards will be placed on Turn 9 (which would reduce his starting Juice for the scenario). (See roster in Reference Section.)
Vinny - needs to determine who gets the 6 Fire cloaks. (Vinny will return the Rod to Bill on turn 8.)
Tod - needs to determine what units are popped on turn 8 & 9.
All - need to determine who gets mounts.
All - need to determine starting positions on the map(s) - see below:

Spoiler: show

Anyone in the Interior while the gates are closed cannot be seen from the exterior (so no RLOS). Tod has stated that the gates will start closed but unbarred. It takes 1 full Round to open or close the gates if you want to be able to enter the field from the interior. It takes 2 move to climb a ladder to the next level, so it takes 4 move to go from the interior to a tower, assuming you started in one of the ladder squares. (Units could also start on the ladder squares on the roof - I21, J21, AC21 & AD21, remaining out of site but only 2 move away from the respective Towers.)
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:18 am

Vinny's 6 Fire Cloaks are up for grabs. He has no mind for strategy, so he will NOT be calling that. Warlords need to decide this please.
In the courtyard, what is the meaning of the red checkered squares versus the dark grey ones?
Unless instructed otherwise by a Warlord, Vinny will begin in G21, as I assume we do not want him exposed until enemy ranged have been dealt with.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:21 am

Checked, tiled squares are floor; solid grey squares are walls.
MarbitChow

Postby Werebiscuit » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:56 am

0beron wrote:Vinny's 6 Fire Cloaks are up for grabs. He has no mind for strategy, so he will NOT be calling that. Warlords need to decide this please..

OOC With Rolf not being a warlord I'll not call on that but I will suggest that fire cloaks go to Will and Cupid and whichever of the leadership are in the archer formation or stacked with & leading that formation. That accounts for at least 3. I'd suggest that the main focus of the elvan archery will be whoever is manning the crossbows and that they should get one too. Which accounts for 5. The Final one should be whichever of the casters that will have to target ground based units as they will then have to suffer arrow fire to be able to do that. So Coil if he does not have one /OOC
Werebiscuit

Postby 0beron » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:01 am

OOC good suggestions, I'll await a Warlord to confirm.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby The Colonel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:25 am

Technically, I'm leadership. So I'll have one I guess.

So warlord, do thoust need melee or ranged?
The Colonel

Postby Werebiscuit » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:03 am

The Colonel wrote:Technically, I'm leadership. So I'll have one I guess.

So warlord, do thoust need melee or ranged?

OOC Technically, you're right.. but... technically you can see through your uncroaked senses so technically you don't need to expose yourself to arrow fire to command or target , therefore technically you don't need one. But we'll let Marbit rule on that one, I think :lol:

good question on ranged or melee. I'd have preferred melee but they can't go through the hex barrier to attack as it's not our turn. So it looks like ranged is best.
Again...That's a warlords call not mine /OOC
Werebiscuit

Postby The Colonel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:12 am

But I have to stack myself with my uncroaked to give them bonuses.
The Colonel

Postby Swodaems » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:13 am

Let's pop 4 dancing garrison archers with well-armed in turns 7&8. Yes, they could use a support/coordinate combo to effectively get +4 com instead of +3, but the bonus from well-armed will actually let them use the increase to fire sooner.

Been doing a bit of math on our wards/heals:
(MarbitChow, am I right to think that we're receiving 3 naughty kitties, 1 zed archer, and 4 heck pups from the capital on turn 9? (I assumed 3 of the 4 zeds being sent rode in on turn 8 with the mounts arriving then.)) With the 2 garrison units popping, that will be 10 units we can't ward without expending juice. Junetta has 59 juice, so if she places minor ward on all 10, she'll be able to go into the battle with 39 juice.

If I remember correctly, Triage had enough juice remaining to -16 ward 3 units on Turn 4 and did 7 more on turn 5. As targets, he chose the 8 starting PCs and the two prisoner NPCs. (Relevent posts. (Also, in the reference, Wandereus and Junetta's wards are listed as -8 wards instead of -16 ones.)) In turns 6,7,&8, he can lay 21 more -16 wards. There will be 59 units in Dis on turn 9, but since 10 of them arrive in Dis on turn 9 and 10 of the units already in the city already have -16 wards, Triage's targets are limited during turns 6,7,&8. Triage can choose to Ward 21 of the 39 available targets before turn 9.

Junetta will Minor Ward the other 18 at a cost of 36 juice. If Junetta spends the rest of her juice on potions, she'll have 141 juice left over to use in potions during turns 6,7,&8. There is a cost of 16 juice for Renew and Minor ward potions and Revitalize potions cost 8 juice. We are getting a lot of potions out of this.
Swodaems

Postby 0beron » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:16 am

Yeah I did kinda specify Warlords for that reason. Ideally, the CHIEF Warlord in fact, since command-wise he has final say. So no, Bill can't have a Fire Cloak unless Tod recommends it.
As for stacking, isn't that seriously "fudged" in this game? Units on opposite sides of the battlegrid have still be considered stacked together right...?
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games