Darkness Rising

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising

Postby ETheBoyce » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:55 pm

0beron wrote:
ETheBoyce wrote:Indeed, in fact our Warlords don't need Fire Cloaks, they have no reason to be in LOS of the enemy!

Well yes and no. Our BEST Warlords should be on the towers and stacked with our most powerful ranged units, to provide a leadership bonus. Thus making them a target.

Tod doesn't need to be on the tower to provide Leadership, he doesn't even need to be on the roof
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:59 pm

oooooooh duh! I forgot my own observation about weak stacking associations...he can be stacked with the tower groups without actually being up there.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 pm

Vinny is giving a Fire Cloak to William, Cupid, and T. Coil. The remaining 3 will be given to Tod to distribute as he best sees fit.
If there are any Cloaks left over after Tod has made his choices, Vinny will take them back and because he doesn't have much to do during the battle, he could run them to targets who need them after their first cloak is depleted.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Swodaems » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:48 pm

MarbitChow, if the door, a tower, or a section of wall is destroyed, what are the consequences? (Will they need to be fixed with money later? Will collapsing structures injure units on or near them, and, if so, how badly?)

0beron wrote:Vinny is giving a Fire Cloak to William, Cupid, and T. Coil. The remaining 3 will be given to Tod to distribute as he best sees fit.
If there are any Cloaks left over after Tod has made his choices, Vinny will take them back and because he doesn't have much to do during the battle, he could run them to targets who need them after their first cloak is depleted.
Tod thinks a moment and then decides to return the cloaks Vinny after first offering a chance to take 1 each to Junetta, Triage, and Bill. There may not currently be a plan to put those 3 in harm's way, but with their low def, there's no such thing as being too safe.
Swodaems

Postby ETheBoyce » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:51 pm

I think Junetta and Vinny should wait near the entrance to the roof so that they can come out onto the roof and kill fliers after they move in, Bill and Triage could either start out on the roof or also be hiding
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Swodaems wrote:MarbitChow, if the door, a tower, or a section of wall is destroyed, what are the consequences? (Will they need to be fixed with money later? Will collapsing structures injure units on or near them, and, if so, how badly?)

Destroying a gate simply makes the gate squares passable.
Destroying a 4-square section of wall will collapse the 4 squares above it, 2 squares in. Any non-flying units standing there will fall. (Falling damage is a hidden mechanic.)
Destroying a tower will collapse 4 squares above it, at least 2 squares in, and may collapse the entire tower. Any non-flying units standing there will fall.

Units that are underneath the collapsing structures also take falling damage, exactly as if they had been standing in the squares above them.

If both towers are destroyed, the city effectively drops from a Level 3 to a Level 2. If the entire wall is destroyed as well, the city effectively drops to a Level 1.
If the city's level remains unchanged, the city will be completely repaired at the start of the next turn. If the level drops, the missing structures will not be rebuilt (so Level 2 will fix the wall, but the towers don't come back).

I'll add the above to the Rules City Structure section for future reference.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby ETheBoyce » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:10 pm

Question, say I am on a Mount and my Combat turn comes first and I cast a spell, will my mount be able to move when its turn comes about?
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:19 pm

ETheBoyce wrote:Question, say I am on a Mount and my Combat turn comes first and I cast a spell, will my mount be able to move when its turn comes about?

Yes, your mount can move and attack on its phase, if you desire it to.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby Swodaems » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:21 pm

We should be aware that either one of the towers could be dropped as early as Com 15 on round 3.

If their seige action uses the same 2 square range as their normal strike action, (Does it?) they can fit 5 gumptons in seige range of either tower in round 2 and 7 in round 3. The towers can only take about 10 of those 12 gumpton seiges before falling.

The gate's size and flatness against the wall actually makes it harder to break than the towers in this scenario. (MarbitChow, I read the gate as being in R19,S19,&T19 and nowhere else. Am I right?) The enemy can't start beating on it until round 3 and can't fit more than 4 gumps at a time on it. Even if disbarred and taking 1.5 damage, the gate should last until at least round 4.
Swodaems

Postby 0beron » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:42 pm

....actually I'm pretty sure nobody would have realized that without you going into detail to figure it out -___-
Now we DEF need to focus the siege cus Marbit is gonna do that now.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Does a position back on the walls offer RLOS on the tower, specifically the ballistae emplacements? Junetta and I need to start someplace covered, but with access to heal the tower guys if needed.

PS: Actually, with the greater risk of losing the towers, perhaps my concern is unneeded?
WaterMonkey314

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:08 pm

0beron wrote:Now we DEF need to focus the siege cus Marbit is gonna do that now.

I'm only slightly offended that you're suggesting that wasn't my plan the entire time. :twisted:
MarbitChow

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:09 pm

WaterMonkey314 wrote:Does a position back on the walls offer RLOS on the tower, specifically the ballistae emplacements? Junetta and I need to start someplace covered, but with access to heal the tower guys if needed.

Any position on the walls can see the back two rows of the towers, and either the right or left front two rows depending on the position.
MarbitChow

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:15 pm

MarbitChow, is the unit reference with all units we currently have in Dis City up-to-date?

From Tod's math, I have 7 16-hit Wards to lay per turn - proposed wards are below:
Turn 6:
3 x L2 Warlords (Rowan, Tyler, Lian).
DF-8
2 x Royal Guard (Bert and Ernie)
1 x Archer

Turn 7:
7 x Archer (whole Archer stack should now be warded)

Turn 8:
7 x Melee unit = Tod, please specify which you think are most strategically important.

Turn 9:
Tod, is it better to conserve juice for the battle or to ward some of the newly arrived units?
WaterMonkey314

Postby 0beron » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:00 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
0beron wrote:Now we DEF need to focus the siege cus Marbit is gonna do that now.

I'm only slightly offended that you're suggesting that wasn't my plan the entire time. :twisted:

Fair point...but I suspect you only decided to go that route after someone asked about structure damage and falling damage in general...oh look, that was Swod also *facedesk*
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:02 pm

WaterMonkey314 wrote:MarbitChow, is the unit reference with all units we currently have in Dis City up-to-date?

I've updated the Reference section to indicate all units you will have, including those popping or arriving on Turn 9.
MarbitChow

Postby ETheBoyce » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:10 pm

We could try and place some uncroaked around the towers to delay siege gump access to them
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby The Colonel » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:08 am

So, should my uncroaked be with the ALIEN melee, or the front line?
The Colonel

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:54 am

0beron wrote:
MarbitChow wrote:

Fair point...but I suspect you only decided to go that route after someone asked about structure damage and falling damage in general...oh look, that was Swod also *facedesk*

OOC I've said all along that the ballistae would be the focus of the Elven attack. Now we find out that it's not only ranged that can target them but also the seige through the tower collapse mechanism (Jetstone anyone ?) and that it brings added benefits in reducing city level. So being generous I'm willing to give Marbit credit for having that nefarious plan all along and Swodaems for winkling it out of him :roll: because the other way round means one was stupid and the other downright nasty :twisted:
Anyway, what to do about it ?
I know Swodaems wanted to concentrate on downing the warl..ady and I thought that if the fire support didn't come through we should concentrate on the gumptions. The current information has only reinfored my view to the extent that now even if the ranged units come through I think that the ballistae and glass cannons ( Will, T.Coil & Cupid) should concentrate on the gumptions initially. They only have 8 of them. I believe we can take out 2 per turn given we focus our damage dealers on them meaning that by the turn they can reach the tower they will only have 4 of them. Anything we can do to slow down that advance ( difficult due to bull rush mechanics) is then in our favour. Which means meeting them in the field. The gumptions are their weak point as they didn't bring enough. If we can reduce them to 2 gumptions before they hit the walls we can then concentrate on the other aspects of the elves which are dangerous to us. Once they have no siege we are safe behind the walls.
Swodaems do you see any flaws or is there a better way ? /OOC
Werebiscuit

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:28 am

The Colonel wrote:So, should my uncroaked be with the ALIEN melee, or the front line?

OOC We have 2 choices for using Bill's uncroaked and we need to figure out which we want to use.

We can either have bodies lying around the field to raise after the siege passes them. In this role they provide a distraction to the siege guards as they threaten the archery so that they also must have guards thus reducing available guards for the siege. Or they force the archery to delay coming through (meaning that they have reinforced siege guarding). Which lets us focus on the siege unmolested.

The alternative is to raise skeleton archery on the walls (They have 2AP so we can make them well armed and give them support & co-ordinate) and rely on their natural arrow defence plus what bonuses Bill can give them.

Initially I was of the opinion that we should go with option 1 as it serves 2 purposes depending on what tactics the elves adopt. However i'm coming round more to option 2 as it means Bill can be out of RLOS and still be effective.

We still need to decide though. /OOC
Werebiscuit

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games