Darkness Rising

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:58 am

Werebiscuit wrote:I believe since they are considered the attackers and moved into position on tthe previous turn they cannot be considered to be delaying. Thus they can only enter on a maximum of combat phase 4.
That's correct. The attackers have to enter on or after their normal sequence on the first turn; unlike the defenders, they can't spend a whole turn "readying" prior to the assault. (Due to the relative nature of time in Erfworld, the defender always controls the perceived moment at which the attack occurs in their hex, either "at dawn" or moments after they end turn, so the attacker can't try to rush in and catch them off-guard.)
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:01 am

Right, that part I knew. So put simply my question is that assuming they enter as soon as possible on Com4, will I be able to have 2 sets of actions?
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:03 am

0beron wrote:Right, that part I knew. So put simply my question is that assuming they enter as soon as possible on Com4, will I be able to have 2 sets of actions?
Yes.
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:08 am

Sweet. Vinny will take up position in H21, with a prepared action to climb the tower and fire something (T. Coil will order him as to what exactly should be fired) when the Fairies enter. If the Fairies do not enter on Com 4, I will instead use this action to Dodge without moving, and then take my actions normally on my turn in Com 3. Other players please consider this placement of Vinny when you are determining who is on top of the corresponding Tower, so that there is space for him and he gets stacked with whatever Leadership you want him to have.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Swodaems » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Don't look at me like that guys. This is an Erfworld game. Wrecking your own city for tactical advantage is to be expected.

While I admit wrecking the gate ourselves may be a bit much, the interior walls may need to go if we can cleanly* take them out without dealing permanent damage to the garrison. Since it is possible for the gumps to permanently destroy our towers if we give them the time, we may want to interfer with their advance by using the melee force. I'm think of arranging things so that our gate lets units thru on phase com=7 on round 2, after it is possible for the gumptons to start pounding on the towers, but before the the elven units with 5 com can move. The interior walls interfer with the positioning of our units inside the garrison, making it harder to arrange them usefully for exit. (I'm expecting the elves to try attacking the towers with the gumptons. I curently think the best way to counter this is to arrange a melee rush out of the gate as soon as they start to pound on one of the towers. (Also, if the enemy makes their entrance to the garrison thru one of the tower bases instead of the gate, the interior walls could cause us problems.)

(*MarbitChow, I need to confirm something. Are those interior walls not load-bearing? There won't be any ceiling collapses of I start whacking things down inside? If desired, could I simply remove all the walls in the rectangle with corners L20, L23, AA20, &AA23, and not see additional damage?)

If Vinny stays out of RLOS of the elven ground archers, he should be fine. Aside from his natural def of 1, (This same math can be applied to both him and Junetta,) he'll be receiving both my direct and hex-wide leadership bonus. He'll also have a cover bonus from the crenelations. That will give him 12 def. Against 4 Com faeries, that requies a roll of 9 or higher to do normal damage at all. If we arrange a bodyguard (with orders to use guard and interpose instead of the actual body guard skill) to be present, Vinny's def goes up to 18. That is enough to place him out of the damage range of unbonused faeries. (Since the faeries don't dance and can't be adjacent to anyone using support or coordinate while flying, the best combat they can have is 9 if they are in a stack with the level 5 warlord (They'll need a 10 or higher to do normal damage) or 6 if stacked with a level 2 one (still won't do normal damage).) The faeries' special ability does allow them to do 1 damage no matter how they roll, but that is not really that much. We'll have knocked alot of the faeries out of the sky with just the casters before they have a chance to fire back.

Calculations for the number of faeries we can take out before they can fire using just the casters (T. Coil excluded from these calculations because he may be better used against the ground force, in particular the gumptons. Everyone but Bill will have my full bonus on them.): Triage has a 35/36 chance against each of his 3 faeries when he fires off icky pron. Vinny gets 26/36 chances against his 3. Junetta can use 2 energy on each of her 2 fire actions to do 90.28% against 2 faeries provided they don't have a bonus. If Bill uses 3 energy on his 2 shots, he gets 90.40% chances against unbonused enemies. So probably 8 or 9 faeries downed before they can fire using just 4 of our 5 casters. After the faeries move. Vinny and Junetta get a second chance to attack. Vinny should fire off the towers' 2g1c spell (getting multiple targets if he can) and if she isn't needed to heal, Junetta should fire on 2 more faeries, again using 2 energy each. This probably nets us 3 more faeries in round 1. (This uses up all the tower's stored spells and 14 of its 18 energy to down 11 or 12 faeries out of 16. The remaining 4 or 5 can be left to archers. We can even have Wandereus's dance archers try their hand at helping the casters eliminate the faeries before they can fire. Those 7 archers will have 19 or 16 Com, and should therefore have good chances of downing Faeries in one hit despite any bonuses the faeries may have. This way, we may get all the faeries down before they can fire. (Caveat: We'll want them at the same elevation as the faeries, so that is 7 more tower spots taken.))

I can't seem to find what the rules are for passing equippable items in battle. In the first round it may be in our best interest to have Junetta be holding the healomancy staff, but have Triage be holding it in every round after. What would that take?

MarbitChow wrote:There is no bonus for convincing the Elves that you are insane, by the way.
Will there be a bonus for lying to them, making them hate me, or making them think I'm an idiot? (I'm not talking about an RP XP bonus. Will they start changing how they act in battle based on those motivations?)
Swodaems

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:06 pm

Swodaems wrote:(*MarbitChow, I need to confirm something. Are those interior walls not load-bearing? There won't be any ceiling collapses of I start whacking things down inside? If desired, could I simply remove all the walls in the rectangle with corners L20, L23, AA20, &AA23, and not see additional damage?)
The interior walls are not load-bearing, but if they are gone and the walls in row 19 are breached, the roof above will collapse out farther than the 2 squares I originally quoted.

Swodaems wrote:Will there be a bonus for lying to them, making them hate me, or making them think I'm an idiot? (I'm not talking about an RP XP bonus. Will they start changing how they act in battle based on those motivations?)
Generally, no. They expect you to lie to them. Getting them to hate you won't be easy; generic taunting won't be enough. Making them think you're an idiot might cause them to underestimate you (once), but it would have to be based on actions, not words. They've got evidence on how you acted when you first captured Sunshine Dale, remember; they've already got an admitted rough idea of your relative skill.
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:09 pm

Swodaems wrote:Don't look at me like that guys. This is an Erfworld game. Wrecking your own city for tactical advantage is to be expected.
Yeah...as a last resort when you are about to lose it anyway. We're not even remotely near that point yet.
Swodaems wrote:[Strategy for what Vinny does]
Sounds good to me, baring an objection from T. Coil I'll go that route.
Swodaems wrote:I can't seem to find what the rules are for passing equippable items in battle.
Items can be based between adjacent units as a free action. It takes a normal Action to actually equip it however.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Swodaems wrote:I can't seem to find what the rules are for passing equippable items in battle. In the first round it may be in our best interest to have Junetta be holding the healomancy staff, but have Triage be holding it in every round after. What would that take?
In general, passing equipment (such as a potion) between adjacent units is a free action. In an attempt to prevent the obvious abuse I see coming based on that, I'm going to declare that units have to spend a single action attuning themselves to a magic item before they can use it properly, if the item in question is currently attuned to another user. (This is the weapon/magic item equivalent to 'equipping it', since most weapons are simply hand-held.)
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:51 pm

So when the battle starts, what's the current info on what Will is supposed to do? I thought I saw a recommendation to man a ballista. Sure? Does that help with Will's ranged attack? Wouldn't one of our Melees have better use of that?
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Swodaems » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:21 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
Swodaems wrote:Will there be a bonus for lying to them, making them hate me, or making them think I'm an idiot? (I'm not talking about an RP XP bonus. Will they start changing how they act in battle based on those motivations?)
Generally, no. They expect you to lie to them. Getting them to hate you won't be easy; generic taunting won't be enough. Making them think you're an idiot might cause them to underestimate you (once), but it would have to be based on actions, not words. They've got evidence on how you acted when you first captured Sunshine Dale, remember; they've already got an admitted rough idea of your relative skill.

Yes, they'll be expecting me to lie to them, but if we make the lie big enough, we can create some false evidence for it. I can get the hate and the idiot parts done at the same time.

The lie: Farkistan is still alive and Creperum rules there as he was the heir to the previous ruler. The force in Dis city is part of a invasion gone wrong by a third party and is being forced to make a last stand. Farkistan recently attacked Dis city in retaliation for us croakng their former ruler. (This will explain a very damaged gate. We can add to the illusion by adding a couple more blemishes to the outside walls.)

How I tell it: I start the battle above the gate 1 square back from the edge. Right behind me are the 2 royal guards. I'm dodging and the guards are bodyguarding me. When the Battle starts, I launch into what should look like an angry, drunken, tirade by a man who knows he is beat, but who wants to go out defiantly. I make very vividly imaged accusations about the nature of Armolad's relationship with her mount. I call her an incompetant who wouldn't stand a chance if that Creperum fool hadn't come first and weakened us with those gumps. (I never say Farkistan, they'll believe the lie more if they have to work for it.) I start to cry and beg forgiveness from some princess who left us after my last ditch attempt at negotiation failed. I make very awkward claims of had having made love to her. ("So what if I had to be guided to the right hole?") I tell no one on our side more than that I'm trying to lie to the enemy. Their expressions of awkward shock should help sell it.

A couple specific on how we back up the lie: Creperum is likely to receive a thinkagram from these folks, so he needs to be prepared to help substantiate it. (Asking him not to wear anything with the Tenebris logo would do it.) Creperum was a heir that the former ruler of Farkistan kept deliberately hidden from the elves. He and a small, but powerful, force were assigned to guard a very hard to access mine that Farkistan had the fortune to find. (The former ruler of Farkistan intended to use both Creperum and the funds from the mine to fund another war on the elves, but Creperum feels that this was a bad idea.) When the Capital fell, Creperum's force was able to retake the Capital when we moved to take Dis.
In case Breatheairian scouts check on the capital, Creperum strips any Tenebrisian insignias he can find from the city of Tenebris and hides any unit types Farkistan couldn't pop indoors. (If possible, he's to hang Farkistan insignias around the place.) He'll need to ask queen Dibs not to reveal his name as the ruler of Tenebris. (Actually, do the elves know the name of Tenebris? They'll have seen the insignia of our side, do do they have more than that? If they don't have Tenebris' name in connection to the invading force, Creperum can tell the elves that he decided to rename Farkistan to Tenebris after retaking it.) (Since the city is now level 5 Creperum could get away with saying that the city now pops our unit types because we were responsible for rebuilding it as a level 5. He hasn't razed it so that it can pop Farkistan units types because he wouldn't beable to make it level 5 again.
If asked, Creperum says that T. Coil was indeed captured and turned by this new enemy. He doesn't know if the little troll turned naturally or not and suspects he may have had something to do with Farkistan's fall.

The nice part about this lie is that, even after I have heavies knock down the gate from the inside and release the heck pups on Armolad, Breatheairia will still be unsure of the truth of my words. We could be using this for turns yet.

BLANDCorporatio wrote:So when the battle starts, what's the current info on what Will is supposed to do? I thought I saw a recommendation to man a ballista. Sure? Does that help with Will's ranged attack? Wouldn't one of our Melees have better use of that?
We'll undoubtly need Will working on downing some of the higher value ground targets. As far as manning a ballista goes, I guess it depends on if Yuri wants to use a ballista or not. Rolf appears to have agreed to take one up and Cupid appears like he isn't going to. Using a Ballista would add another 2d6 to Will's ranged damage, allowing him to do extremly well against some of the higher def targets, but turning a melee with half his com into a ranged unit is mathmatically better for the side against targets where both Will and Yuri are assured of overcoming the target's def.
Swodaems

Postby The Colonel » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:44 pm

What is wrong with you Swodemas?
The Colonel

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:59 pm

The Colonel wrote:What is wrong with you Swodemas?

Triage's Rounds 1 and 2 actions might well be "gape in dismay at Tod". :P
WaterMonkey314

Postby Exate » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:23 pm

Yuri is fine on a ballista, of course.

And as for Tod's proposed trick... "Is having ruler dance like clown for the selling of shoddy lie? What is King saying of this?"
Exate
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:46 pm

Werebiscuit wrote:OOC Can't believe we're talking about knocking our own gates down in a potential siege situation /OOC

If Rolf hears of this plan he'll start looking worringly at Tod trying to determine any signs of Foolamancy

OOC Ok...who are you and What have you done with Swodaems ?

If we're counting on the pacifist ELF healer to down 3-4 *ELF* (note the caps and underline) fliers we're royally booped. I think you'd better check with Junetta on her adherence to the plan.
personally I think the lie is so convoluted and hard to substantiate and there are far too many ways for it to go awry ( i.e. get uncovered) that it makes your previous attempt at diplomatic manipulation look like a surefire thing. I'm also not sure what you actually hope to gain out of it other than alienating most of your command. /OOC

Rolf's reaction to your speech is likely to make him leave the ballista to seek out Yuri in hopes of convincing him to assume command "on medical grounds"
Werebiscuit

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:04 pm

I really regret not taking... WAIT! THERE IS A WAY!

Junetta, for the Love of Erf and the Titans, cast Space-Out on Tod if he keeps on with this madness!
WaterMonkey314

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:05 pm

That actually raises another point - would it be any good to try to Calm Elven units with Junetta?
WaterMonkey314

Postby The Colonel » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:09 pm

I shall order my marbits to restrain him.
The Colonel

Postby 0beron » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:49 pm

It's already been stated that Junetta will obey all orders and has no problems attacking Elves. The only potential problem would be leaving her ALONE with elves outside combat, then they could try to turn her back.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Swodaems » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:29 pm

The Colonel wrote:What is wrong with you Swodemas?

My sense of humor is showing. (But at the same time, I'm unsure if I'm entirely joking or not.)

I'm tryng to find a way to RP those enemy archers into firing on me and only me. Given the response I'm getting from my allies, I figure I've got a good chance of success. (I said I wanted the royal guards behind me for this very reason. With dodge, leadership, cover, and elevation bonuses, I'll have 37 def, but if Armolad gets support and coordinate bonuses from the 12 archers who could (according to the mount rules,) possibly be considered adjacent to her when she fires, she'll have 2 shots at 91 Com she can expend on a single target. Unlike the units on the tower, I won't have bats to screen for me, so I'm going to be a pretty good target for her to shoot at. Both I and the royal guards will survive the 108+4d6 damage she'll throw the first round, but we'll want to see her support archers downed rather fast.)

As far as Junetta's pacifism goes, we've seen Junetta fire upon units before. She did it during the battle of Sunshine Dale. Her space out spell unfortunately will not help that much in this battle. The effect it causes is escapable by having an adjacent ally burn an acton to wake you up. In this battle the enemy has a bunch of inconsequential mooks that can be used for just this task.
Swodaems

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:52 pm

Let me save you some time, then. The enemy is going to attempt to take what, in my estimation, is the most intelligent course of action to achieve their goals. They get the same information about you that you get about them, and they're not likely to waste 14 shots without killing anything unless there's a good reason to. You can manipulate the situation through RP when a strong positive or negative relationship exists, but you don't have that right now, and you don't have the time to build it. You may be able to lay the groundwork in this scenario to inspire irrational hatred in future scenarios, but you don't currently have anything to work with.

I still need to know who will be mounted in the upcoming scenario, and where units who have not already chimed in will be positioned.
MarbitChow

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games