Erfgame 3 (CLOSED) - Rules and Discussion

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Erfgame 3 (closed) - Rules and Discussion

Postby Lord of Monies » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:19 pm

That is....slightly worrying, yes. This now means I'm walking around with money on my person that could, in theory, be stolen off of me, and this will continue the more I manage to obtain.

Oh Oh Oh, problem solved. It says that a warlord or caster has a purse. Simple answer. I let House look after the rest of it. I trust him to do that for me.
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby Kaed » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:24 pm

That is true! Between the two of you you have a collective purse of 6k then.

And if you want those 3k of gems to be safe you can always convert them to schmuckers.

I'm PRETTY sure though that you can take gem(s) and directly spend them on the spot to purchase upgrades that wouldn't, technically speaking, fit in your purse.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lord of Monies » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:32 pm

Yeah, I thought the same thing so whatever happens I'm not worried about lacking the availability (still working on the means) but regardless of my situation, I would be nervous carrying around any value of gems on my person in erfworld.
With the dawning of each new day, my evil machinations inch me closer to world domination. And also breakfast.
Lord of Monies

Postby Kaed » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Alright, I think I've pinpointed what makes Dollamancy specifically different from other magic items.

(incidentally there will be a lot of erfworld speculation on this thread from me so I can bounce it off my players before implementing it)

Dollamancy is, as Ace puts it, for action - it involves creating things that people can equip, or ride, use in combat somehow. Whereas the other things we've seen, like the Eyebooks - they are not equipped or really involved in combat in any way, which is why dollamancy was not needed.

Incidentally this also fits into the noted theme of caster purposes being based on their discipline name - e.g. turnamancers manipulate turns, and can turn units.

Dollamancers make dolls, and they can "doll you up" for battle.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Yup, sounds about right. They can Fabricate as well obvi, but that is just mundane items so magic is not required
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lord of Monies » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:36 pm

In my random, tangental musings, a leadership bonus only applies to combat, right? Doesn't improve defense in any way.
Lord of Monies

Postby 0beron » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:10 pm

I assume it'd apply to both Com and Def
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Obs is right.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Koliup » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:47 am

Anyway, as vulture-ish as it is to ask; when should I prepare to enter the game?
That said, I'll muck about with my units, and finalize them.
All systems nominal.
Koliup

Postby Safaquel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:14 am

Since Parson has his items made to specs of a chief warlord, it follows that his items are not available to lower class of units.
Does it not also follow that Ace manufactured his upgrades for a Royal unit, CW and then the King specifically? (Namely, there probably was an upgrade available for royalty only on those items).

Then again, from what we have seen Dollamancy is vastly powerful if used in any unorthodox fashion (like watching through the eyes of a mannequin).

Also, I think it is rather safe to assume that King Slately was a non-combat unit, or as weak as they normally came, and what Ace did essentially turn him into a flying knight-class war machine.

As for turning his normal attack into ranged, well, do you find it believable that Slately could croak an Archon with his scepter in one hit?
Safaquel

Postby Lord of Monies » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:42 am

I kinda do, Safa. Slately is a ruler spanning a lot of turns, so my guess is he gained a few levels along the way doing bits and pieces. The bracer likely does offer a bit of a power boost, but mainly I'd think shockamancy is something that could ignore defense. Were it just a ranged attack, then yeah the archon would probably be hurt a bit. Ignore that defense, and ow.

Reposting this bit as we got sidetracked by dollamancy talk.

Also, on the rules for flavour points, fortified zone. Offers +1 combat and defense for allied units in the zone. Can I apply that to an unmentioned area like the coutyard or garrison? That seems like the most useful place to apply it to.
Lord of Monies

Postby 0beron » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:26 am

Lord of Monies wrote:Also, on the rules for flavour points, fortified zone. Offers +1 combat and defense for allied units in the zone. Can I apply that to an unmentioned area like the coutyard or garrison? That seems like the most useful place to apply it to.

It should only be applied to a single zone. So that would entail: Outer Walls, Tunnels, Courtyard, Dungeon, or Tower. Airspace isn't a part of the city that you can "build up", and applying the benefit to all 3 Garrison sub-zones is too OP. You can of course purchase the upgrade multiple times and cover different zones.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:46 am

Koliup wrote:Anyway, as vulture-ish as it is to ask; when should I prepare to enter the game?
That said, I'll muck about with my units, and finalize them.

I would say nothing prevents you from preparing them now, and brainstorming ur strategy. I believe Kaed had said he'd boot Nihila once the rest of us completed turn 10. I am currently done turn 9, and the others are approaching I think.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lord of Monies » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:13 am

I'm on turn 8, not sure when exactly it will finish but I predict my round 9 and 10 to not be too eventful.

Aye, you're right Obe, Garrison doesn't count as a zone. I was mainly just thinking of the coutyard, but on the rules the courtyard is never mentioned so I just wanted to be sure of that. Pretty sure I have my capital flavour done, then. It's gonna be awesome.
Lord of Monies

Postby Lord of Monies » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:31 pm

So I decided to start re-reading erfworld for the hell of it, and to spot any little things like this. Can't remember if it was in a pm or in here, but if anyone had the idea that beasts can't level then this page proves that wrong. Spidew cavalry, very clearly beasts, noted as being mostly low level. I wouldn't expect beasts to be in combat enough to gain many levels, but as a point of reference it is possible.
Lord of Monies

Postby Safaquel » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:55 am

Lord of Monies wrote:So I decided to start re-reading erfworld for the hell of it, and to spot any little things like this. Can't remember if it was in a pm or in here, but if anyone had the idea that beasts can't level then this page proves that wrong. Spidew cavalry, very clearly beasts, noted as being mostly low level. I wouldn't expect beasts to be in combat enough to gain many levels, but as a point of reference it is possible.

I think you misinterpret a bit here. Erfworld clearly distiguishes riders from mounts, since Trammenis changed mounts to get to see Ossomer sooner than otherwise possible. So yes, while dwagons and virtually any living(non-construct, uncroaked included) unit can level, or so we can safely assume, spidew-cavalry levels probably relate more to the riders rather than mounts. Combined levels are possible, though, but I take issue with the fact that cavalrymen of any race should be treated as beasts. Perhaps the count of hp and combat ability(attack score) of cavalry rider and its mount should be counted separately?
Safaquel

Postby 0beron » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:20 am

I think that is referring to the Spidews themselves. There is no special "cavalry rider" unit, Spidews get popped by themselves and then get ridden by gobwins or warlords.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Safaquel » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:45 am

0beron wrote:I think that is referring to the Spidews themselves. There is no special "cavalry rider" unit, Spidews get popped by themselves and then get ridden by gobwins or warlords.

The fact that they get ridden is my whole point -- you cannot have cavalry without someone riding a mount, else you have a living battering ram or some other wierdness like burning pigs or war elephants from medieval era. The thing to determine here, I feel, is whether or not the damage is being determined more by skill of the rider (which we have seen in the comic frequently) or by the mount (and we have seen munts joining the action once or twice in the webcomic).
So in fact we have a combined unit -- a unit on a mount, and whose experience and combat skills should determine the combat results is an open question to me.
Safaquel

Postby 0beron » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:50 am

Oooooooh I see now. I would say they should be treated as separate units with independent stats that do not influence each other. The one tweak is that I think mounts should automatically screen their riders from melee attacks. So you can't hurt the rider without 1) first killing the mount 2) using a ranged attack or 3) performing a dismount maneuver/attack/grapple in melee.
Obviously however they have to move as one, so I would say that they must both attack the same target.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lord of Monies » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:39 pm

The fact that most of them are low level is testament to the fact that they likely don't get into combat much, but still can and as a result they can level. That's the very simple basis of my point. Means, long term, a favourite warlord or a chief warlord can be riding the best mount available, or some of our D-class beasts can level whereas before beasts could never level.
Lord of Monies

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games