Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:24 pm

0beron wrote:Also, see my question above about how exactly Leadership applies to buffing stats (flat bonus or % of the base value)


Flat bonus. 60Combat becomes 65. I realize I should remove the % sign from combat.

Same for Defense. 0Def becomes 10%Def.

Damage is also a flat 1 point extra. Quite significant for certain low damage units, nudge nudge.

Also, added the XP recuperation stats to the Barberians and Hare Stylists.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
User avatar
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby 0beron » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Damage is also a flat 1 point extra. Quite significant for certain low damage units, nudge nudge.

oooooh believe you me, your friendly neighborhood Archon noticed and understood THAT part juuuust fine *wicked grin*
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3153
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:27 pm

Oh incidentally, Swodaems's Patty Flipper gets to pick a perk. Either Nat. Armor (+10%Def) or Fleet foot (+2Move).
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
User avatar
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby Swodaems » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:59 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Units in stacks with leadership get +5% to Combat, +10% to armor (unalterable by armor damage spells), and +1 to damage.

So, If I eat the lvl 2 wolf corpse, (Given how many melee/might/skill units we're seeing, I have a feeling I'll regret eating the first lvl 2 one we get and we might actually be better served by creating 2 72 exp patty flippers for cheap leadership.)and take the natural armour ability, my effective stats will be 55Combat, 20Def, 85%CtH 7Dmg (Matter)?

By any chance are the Mad Cow, Grizzled bear, and Bipolar bear considered lvl 2 like the wolves? (ETheBoyce can eat either the Grizzled bear or the Bipolar bear. Bob Enweave can eat these new hare stylists. WaterMonkey has 3 melee paths to choose from that have nearby meals. No one else has food in range.)
Swodaems
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Swodaems wrote:Given how many melee/might/skill units we're seeing, I have a feeling I'll regret eating the first lvl 2 one we get and we might actually be better served by creating 2 72 exp patty flippers for cheap leadership.

I doubt we'll see higher than level 2s around here for some time. Worst case, if we get a level 3 that grants you 450 XP, just kill yourself and take the newly popped guy instead. Or, if BLAND allows, just swap units. I think the buffed front line warrior + buffs to everyone early on is well worth the use now, personally.
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby 0beron » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:56 pm

I agree with Marbit. I doubt we'll see very high level around here anytime soon, and I doubt BLAND will tell us before we croak them what level enemy units are (at the very least, I imagine we have to enter their hex to know that.) Getting all our Melees to level 2 quickly to keep the front line solid will let us make more headway, and allow us to break into our own stacks sooner.

In terms of next targets, I think we have 2 choices:
  • Bipolar Bear, ETheboyce could eat it and we'd have a second leader so we could split into 2 stacks soon
  • Mad Cow, if Watermonkey chooses Melee/Magic/Force.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3153
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby Swodaems » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:03 pm

BLAND, does the leadership bonus increase healing?
Swodaems
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:40 pm

Note that if we match up 2 out of 3 branches on the character path, we still get 60% of the XP, and archers only take 40 XP to level. Each Barberian on the map can be used to get us either a 2nd level Archer/Might/Skill Grillphon or an almost-2nd level Burgermeister. With the archer mounts protecting the melee while they level, and 7 of the 8 units able to concentrate fire on 1 target each round, we should be able to safely and easily level up the Meisters, and the grillphons make great corpse-draggers. Throw in a pair of Jolly Bees on the Support/Magic/* paths (I'd say one of each), and that stack's looking pretty good. In fact, since we can get the mounts so cheaply, I'd say we start using them as meat shields to start leveling up the units we're not finding body matches for.

TL;DR Version : Don't ignore non-optimal XP combinations.
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby 0beron » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:01 pm

MarbitChow wrote:TL;DR Version : Don't ignore non-optimal XP combinations.

For the bulk of our "NPC" units, I agree. But because we can only consume once, I for one prefer to make the most of it.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3153
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:38 pm

0beron wrote:
MarbitChow wrote:TL;DR Version : Don't ignore non-optimal XP combinations.

For the bulk of our "NPC" units, I agree. But because we can only consume once, I for one prefer to make the most of it.

Keep in mind you get one *per life*. If you wait for the perfect match and you die, you're probably going to use the 90% match from your own corpse on your next life. If you didn't use it before then, the free one-shot boost you get will be gone, whereas 90% of any XP you accumulate now still carries over to your next life. The decision is yours, but think about whether you're willing to sacrifice short-term survivability hoping to score a larger XP haul down the road, is all I'm saying.
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby 0beron » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:52 pm

Well in my case specifically, I don't even have the option to consume right now, we have no Archons in the vicinity at all. So I'm definitely not going to waste my one bonus consumption on a unit that doesn't even match my base type. For the present, I feel pretty safe behind our front line, I don't expect to be in danger of croaking any time soon. If however down the road we find an Archon/Magic/Skill for example, I prolly won't pass it up despite not being a perfect match.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3153
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:40 am

After actually looking over the rules properly, a point of clarification: can I wait to choose my path until I level up (or decide that there is a pressing need to choose and/or level by eating?)
WaterMonkey314
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby Werebiscuit » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:20 am

If we try to take out the mad cow then the bipolar bear that would be enough stack xp to level both archers and the bear corpse should provide EtheBoyce's patty flipper with enough xp to level. That would give us 2x2nd level melee units with the other 2 melee protected by mounting on archers. A fairly formidable front line
Werebiscuit
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:45 am

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby Werebiscuit » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:42 am

Werebiscuit wrote:If we try to take out the mad cow then the bipolar bear that would be enough stack xp to level both archers and the bear corpse should provide EtheBoyce's patty flipper with enough xp to level. That would give us 2x2nd level melee units with the other 2 melee protected by mounting on archers. A fairly formidable front line

Actually scratch that... it would only give us 26 and not the 41 I'd hoped (curse my math) but we'd still have 2nd level melee. Would that be enough to take on the 4 Barberians d'you think ? If we could do that then we'd have 2nd level archers as I'd certainly consume a body (even at 60% it gives me more XP than a Hare sytylist).
Werebiscuit
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:45 am

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:36 am

Swodaems wrote:So, If I eat the lvl 2 wolf corpse, {...} and take the natural armour ability, my effective stats will be 55Combat, 20Def, 85%CtH 7Dmg (Matter)


Yep. And bestow similar bonuses to other units in the stack. Leadership bonuses, of course, only apply once. Having more leadership units in the same stack isn't much use.

To answer another of your questions, yes. 1 extra point of healing, if healing is the primary effect (and for your Healer units, it is).

MarbitChow wrote:Worst case, if we get a level 3 that grants you 450 XP, just kill yourself and take the newly popped guy instead.


Now you're thinking with corpses. That's certainly possible.

0beron wrote:I doubt BLAND will tell us before we croak them what level enemy units are (at the very least, I imagine we have to enter their hex to know that.)


Sometimes, in particular when dealing with units belonging to a side, if you can see the unit, you'll also immediately know its level. Wild units are more difficult to guess, but you can safely assume that the units you can see in your vicinity are at most level 2.

WaterMonkey314 wrote:After actually looking over the rules properly, a point of clarification: can I wait to choose my path until I level up (or decide that there is a pressing need to choose and/or level by eating?)


The convention I'm following is that the development path be specified on pop time. Meaning, the situation of your unit, with unspecified branches, is abnormal. I'd prefer you tell me which ways you want your unit to upgrade, before the chance to level up appeared.

So do you want Might or Magic? Force or Skill?
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
User avatar
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby Swodaems » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:51 am

I've noticed a few options that have presented themselves to us. Of course I need a question or two answered first.

BLANDCorporatio wrote:To answer another of your questions, yes. 1 extra point of healing, if healing is the primary effect (and for your Healer units, it is).
Then I can use just me and the NPC Jolly to take out either bear at no risk of anyone croaking. (If I choose to defend against the bears' 7 Dmg attacks, I'll only take 2.8(.5*.8*7)Dmg considering my 20 def and gain a net .2 hits after the Jolly heals. Given what my tactics would be, (I'll detail if need be.) the entire battle could be represented as a single 85% chance roll representing the Bear's very last attack against me to determine if I am left with either 12.4 (15-5.6+3) hits or the full 15.)

Aside from allowing me to exp hog, we can use this to get us a level 2 NPC support/Magic/* unit in short order for better healing. If Watermonkey doesn't want to set his path to melee/magic/force (completing our collection of the 4 melee paths) and eat the Mad cow, then we can set the NPC jolly's path to magic/force. Using just me and him to solo the Cow and then letting him eat it gives him 60 exp.(24/2 + 80*.6) The additional exp from duoing either bear would be enough to make him into a sprite. (Alternatively, if WaterMonkey does want to eat the Cow, we can declare the NPC's path to be Magic/Skill and let him eat the wolf corpse for 24 exp. We could level him to sprite by having me and him duo both bears.) (Also I'm not suggesting we use this technique to level Kriss1989's char because he has selected might instead of magic, which I believe means that he will lose his heal after leveling.)

Bland, can units still move after a fight without needing a new turn? (Can they enter multiple fights per turn?)
If I were to stack with and mount on a mount unit with higher move than me would we be limited by the mount's move or mine? Is it possible for riders and mounts starting in different hexes to meet up and mount mid turn? Could the Rider
Werebiscuit wrote:
Werebiscuit wrote:If we try to take out the mad cow then the bipolar bear that would be enough stack xp to level both archers and the bear corpse should provide EtheBoyce's patty flipper with enough xp to level. That would give us 2x2nd level melee units with the other 2 melee protected by mounting on archers. A fairly formidable front line

Actually scratch that... it would only give us 26 and not the 41 I'd hoped (curse my math) but we'd still have 2nd level melee. Would that be enough to take on the 4 Barberians d'you think ? If we could do that then we'd have 2nd level archers as I'd certainly consume a body (even at 60% it gives me more XP than a Hare sytylist).

If you're willing to eat the other wolf corpse we have on hand right now, then we may be able to use just the 2 of us to take out the Mad Cow before it can attack, leave the corpse for the empty handed NPC jolly to get later, and then help the rest of the group croak their Bear of choice this turn using your higher move. (Can the main group reach the Bipolar bear's location this turn? I'm having trouble with telling where it is due to the labeling. What of the Grizzled one?) (If WaterMonkey doesn't want the Mad Cow corpse, then it might be better if the Mad Cow fight was just me and the NPC jolly so we can do the jolly leveling plan stated above. I'd just have to be able come back to the group and get carried to the next fight for this.)

Um, if I were to choose to stun a bear instead of finishing it, what exactly could I do with it?
Swodaems
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby The Colonel » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:56 am

What's happening? My internet went KAPUT for a few days.
The Colonel
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:56 am

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby 0beron » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:05 am

*head spins in confusion* wow you guys are seriously overthinking this lol.
I think our priority should be to get whichever units get Leadership to level asap, so we can split up with our own stacks. I think making the Archers into mounts should be our LAST priority because that defeats the whole point of them being Archers in the first place.....crap, the more I read this over the more I realize that Might Archers are screwed. They're ARCHERS...that are forced to be in Melee range...and they have no Defense score....Yeah I'm just gonna shut up cus I have no suggestions anymore...(if it were up to me, I'd never pop a Might Archer at all now....)
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3153
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:11 am

0beron wrote:*head spins in confusion* wow you guys are seriously overthinking this lol.
I think our priority should be to get whichever units get Leadership to level asap, so we can split up with our own stacks. I think making the Archers into mounts should be our LAST priority because that defeats the whole point of them being Archers in the first place.....crap, the more I read this over the more I realize that Might Archers are screwed. They're ARCHERS...that are forced to be in Melee range...and they have no Defense score....Yeah I'm just gonna shut up cus I have no suggestions anymore...(if it were up to me, I'd never pop a Might Archer at all now....)

It helps if, instead of thinking of them as archers, you think of them as tanks with extended range.
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby 0beron » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:13 am

MarbitChow wrote:It helps if, instead of thinking of them as archers, you think of them as tanks with extended range.

But but but...they're NOT tanks, they have NO DEFENSE SCORE lol.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3153
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest