Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Swodaems wrote:Is it possible for a rider to dismount from his exhausted beast and continue under his own power? (For that manner, does the Rider use any of his move while riding?)

As you guessed, yes (and no), in keeping with another tradition of games in these here parts, the TBf<> scenarios.

Swodaems wrote:Would the stack that did the capture get the same exp for capturing as for croaking? (I'm trying to level NPC Bee by feeding him a perfect 100 exp.)

Somehow, no. Capturing a unit doesn't provide XP to croaker because no croaking happened. Yes, common sense dictates that what offers the XP is the combat, but things are as they are.

Swodaems wrote:BLAND, am I reading the rules right when I interpret them to say that ETheBoyce loses his leadership ability when he hits level 3 and cannot buy it back at later levels?

Only partially. Yes, Leadership is lost as a natural ability at level 3 if the path chosen is Force. However, that doesn't prevent it from being bought back again as a perk.

On the wolf situation:

I remained "agnostic" of the wolf location because as far as I could tell there wasn't yet a consensus as to what to do with it. So the corpse, and the new Jolly Bee, are still at the Mine location.

So anyways, what plan did y'all converge on?
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Swodaems wrote:However, I would like to ask that the issue of who goes to croak the bear be decided by a GM run coin flip. (Numerically, that 12 EXP from the cow duo would be the only EXP advantage I would have over E after he gets 72 EXP for eating the Bipolar bear.

The issue is not how MUCH XP you get, its the simple fact that you're level 2 already and Ethe is not, so he needs to level. If you go instead of him, he doesn't get that chance to level. Your multiple plans have me so confused right now I have no idea what's happening, but here's my opinion:

If it is possible for Ethe to make level 2 and thus get Leadership so he can go duo with the Jolly Bee, then he should do so instead of you, no coin flip. But if I'm wrong and Ethe won't level before the duo fight, then Swod can do it.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:17 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Updated list ...

ETheBoyce: Melee (/Might/Force): Patty flipper

The Colonel: Melee/Magic/Skill: Bob Posgen, Patty flipper; wishes to be known as HEAD CHEF

With the location of the wolf carcass resolved I'd like to have agreement on me eating it as our best tactic. It would give me (80*.9*.6) =43 xp and I level at 40. Giving the stack a Grillphon archer with 5 dmg instead of 2 and 16 hp instead of 4. The fact that I'd now take up 2 slots (one in the front as well as the back row) only serves to protect the melee unit that I'd have as a rider, unless I'm interpreting the rules wrongly.

Would ETheBoyce's patty flipper or The Colonels also get the 43 xp as they also match 2 of the paths ? In which case it may be better to have either of them eat it and go to 53xp (43 +10 stack xp) thus levelling allowing a stronger frontline with some wards in The Colonel's case or a stronger frontline and the possibility of 2 led stacks in ETheBoyce's
Werebiscuit

Postby The Colonel » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:22 am

We need leadership more than wards, I thing, so leadership.
The Colonel

Postby Swodaems » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:27 am

0beron wrote:If it is possible for Ethe to make level 2 and thus get Leadership so he can go duo with the Jolly Bee, then he should do so instead of you, no coin flip. But if I'm wrong and Ethe won't level before the duo fight, then Swod can do it.

I have to ask which duo fight you are refering to. There are two in my current plan: A duo fight against the Mad Cow (MCDuo) and a second duo against the Grizzled Bear GBDuo.
sequence of events:
this turn: Bob Enweave eats wolf corpse, MCDuo occurs, Player party moves to the hex 1 away from Bipolar bear and 5 away from house.
In between turns: because we are 1 hex away, Bipolar bear attacks us. (Party gains 12.5 exp from fight if everyone lives. EtheBoyce can now eat the bear's corpse and level.)
2nd turn: player party goes to House, Bob Enweave drops GBduo player off next to the capital, GBDuo player and NPC Bee proceed to spot 1 hex away from Grizzled bear
In between turns: Grizzled Bear attack the GBDuo group.
(Note: my plan is for the player units participating in both duo fights (either me for both, or possibly Bob Enweave for the MCDuo if he chooses the leadership perk (natural armour means he'll have either 1.4 damage or 2.1 damage after fighting the cow)) to abuse the movement rules to also be able to help out the party with the Bipolar bear and the house battle. The full stack of 8 players is present for both mass player battles.)

On to the topic of having one of our patty flippers eat the mad cow. The way I figure it, for EtheBoyce or TheColonel would get 12 exp from the MCDuo fight (Dementia means that a patty flipper trying to solo the Mad Cow will likely fail and croak). They would then get another 48 exp from eating the corpse (80*60%). Combined with the 10 Exp from the wolf fight, this puts them at 70 EXP.
BLANDCorporatio wrote:Patty flipper - Melee
XP to next level: 80

So they would not be able to level by eating the cow. WaterMonkey could lock his character in as Melee/magic/force and be able to get 24 more exp from the Cow's corpse, so he could level, but then he would gain Wards instead of leadership.
Swodaems

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:51 am

Swodaems wrote:
0beron wrote:
BLANDCorporatio wrote:Patty flipper - Melee
XP to next level: 80

Ah so the patty flippers level at 80 xp.... not sure where I got the 50 xp idea from but it means that the only one that can level from the wolf carcass is yours truly. (Since our other archer only gets 22 xp due to path misalignment) I trust that no one has any objections to me consuming it then ?

Note : It's worth 43 xp to me and only 8 xp to our Starchild.
Werebiscuit

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:58 am

Okay yes Werebiscut may eat the Wolf, and Swod may depart on his duo idea. Because I gather the leadership-boosted heal of a Jolly Bee is required to pull off the Bipolar Bear Duo, and Ethe would not be able to achieve Leader status until AFTER the Bipolar bear fight.
We proceed with Swod's plan then.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:29 am

The one proviso I have before declaring the wolf consumed is that Watermonkey agrees. He being the only other unit that could level from the wolf assuming he specifies his patty flipper as melee/might/skill.

It may be more beneficial to us to have the slightly higher damage of 2 manager units and the possibility of forming 2 led stacks than have the higher Hp and move that a Grillphon would give
Werebiscuit

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:32 am

0beron wrote:Okay yes Werebiscut may eat the Wolf, and Swod may depart on his duo idea. Because I gather the leadership-boosted heal of a Jolly Bee is required to pull off the Bipolar Bear Duo, and Ethe would not be able to achieve Leader status until AFTER the Bipolar bear fight.
We proceed with Swod's plan then.

From my interpretation of his plan, we're all in the Bipolar fight. The other duo is subsequently against the Grizzled Bear and that will be after ETheBoyce levels. BTW his plan for getting to the Grizzled Bear so quickly depends on my levelling and becoming a Grillphon
Last edited by Werebiscuit on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Werebiscuit

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:41 am

Werebiscuit wrote:The one proviso I have before declaring the wolf consumed is that Watermonkey agrees. He being the only other unit that could level from the wolf assuming he specifies his patty flipper as melee/might/skill.
It may be more beneficial to us to have the slightly higher damage of 2 manager units and the possibility of forming 2 led stacks than have the higher Hp and move that a Grillphon would give

There are 10 more wolves on the map. We'll get Watermonkey his dinner very soon, I think. I don't think we can have 2 stacks in the same fight, and I don't think Leadership stacks, so for the moment, optimizing our other units makes sense, and we'll all keep getting more XP towards that next level.
MarbitChow

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:54 am

MarbitChow wrote:There are 10 more wolves on the map. We'll get Watermonkey his dinner very soon, I think. I don't think we can have 2 stacks in the same fight, and I don't think Leadership stacks, so for the moment, optimizing our other units makes sense, and we'll all keep getting more XP towards that next level.

Noted, it works either way though, IF watermonkey specifies and eats the wolf I can then eat a subsequent wolf (or barberian).
The choice about improving our frontline first becomes moot since as a heavy I become frontline (and also back !). So the choice is as I stated
6 dmg for the manager vs the 5 that I bring
and
the *POSSIBILITY* of becoming 2 led stacks (taking on different tasks) vs the extra move & carrying capacity that I bring.

NOTE ALSO the choice is moot unless Watermonkey specifies as a melee/might/skill patty flipper
Werebiscuit

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:15 am

BTW Just Worked out ....
It would make good sense for me to eat the Wolf and take MarbitChow into the Mad Cow fight as a rider alongside Swodaems and our Jolly Bee. We'd drop the mad cow possibly before it had a chance to hit depending on who struck first between the cow and Swod. The jolly bee would cure any damage in either case . All 4 would get 6xp bringing Marbit to 16 and once he'd consumed the cow and got the extra 24 he'd be 40 and level giving a second Grillphon for the Bipolar fight.

[EDIT] Bland...the THAC0 Bell levels at 40 xp ...Not once he goes over 40 ? Right ?
Werebiscuit

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:27 am

Okay...well Swod's walls of texts are hard for me to interpret (partially because I don't have unit stats memorized as he seems to) So I'm leaving this up to Marbit. Whatever Marbit suggests we do, I'm behind. I'm sick of debating detailed strategies that go 4 turns into the future, I much prefer to ACT NOW (while having a general plan for future turns, rather than a detailed plan that could very well get messed up)
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:38 am

Ok, I'm going to fight my normal compulsion to argue a topic to death. We go with Swodaems' plan, and a note that we'll want to make sure that XP is distributed as equitably as possible, as soon as possible, once we get past these first two turns.
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:55 am

Werebiscuit wrote:The fact that I'd now take up 2 slots (one in the front as well as the back row) only serves to protect the melee unit that I'd have as a rider, unless I'm interpreting the rules wrongly.

You're interpreting them correctly. Unless attacked by ranged units (Archers, Archons, some Supports), a Rider is safe from Melee as long as the Mount lives.

Werebiscuit wrote:Would ETheBoyce's patty flipper or The Colonels also get the 43 xp as they also match 2 of the paths?

Aye.

Werebiscuit wrote:Bland...the THAC0 Bell levels at 40 xp ...Not once he goes over 40 ? Right ?

Once 40XP or more are gathered, the THAC0 Bell levels. Any extra XP (that is, anything that was above 40) is kept by the character to assist in the next level up.

So anyways, a consensus formed on Werebiscuit's Bob Enweave to consume the last wolf corpse. **sluurp** this provides, by my math, 48XP. Which is enough for Bob Enweave to level into a Grillphon, leaving 18 XP to spare. You get to pick a perk between Leadership, Nat Armor (+10%Def) and Fleet Foot (+2Move).

MCDuo battle occurs! {Manager (<blank>, Swodaems), <blank>, <blank>}, {Jolly Bee, <blank>, <blank>, <blank>} vs. {<blank>, Mad Cow 10/12H, <blank>, <blank>}.

Mad Cow strikes, hits for 2.4Dmg and causes Dementia. Swodaems's Manager strikes, does 7Dmg. Jolly Bee heals 3Dmg points. Next round repeats these events and Mad Cow is croaked. Manager and Jolly Bee get 12XP each (so manager has 14/500 needed for lev.up, Jolly Bee has 12/100).

I'll assume the Jolly Bee you popped is Support/Magic/Force. I thought I saw somewhere that you want it to eat the Mad Cow. Please confirm if that's the case.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:00 am

Swodaems wrote:we can use this to get us a level 2 NPC support/Magic/* unit in short order for better healing. If Watermonkey doesn't want to set his path to melee/magic/force (completing our collection of the 4 melee paths) and eat the Mad cow, then we can set the NPC jolly's path to magic/force. Using just me and him to solo the Cow and then letting him eat it gives him 60 exp.(24/2 + 80*.6)

Confirming that the Support/Magic/Force Bee eats the cow.
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:03 am

I did want to point out that in future combats, the NP-Bee should be BEHIND a melee unit, not open and exposed by being diagonally back from one.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:25 am

0beron wrote:I did want to point out that in future combats, the NP-Bee should be BEHIND a melee unit, not open and exposed by being diagonally back from one.

It's not exposed. As long as there's at least one Melee unit anywhere in the front row, it's protected from Melee units.

So anyways, Bee eats Cow and gains 48XP raising it to 50/100XP.

Player stack reforms and moves as indicated. Jolly Bee moves towards capital.

Anything else you want done before ending turn?
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:32 am

If we're out of move and have done everything in Swod's plan, than I guess end turn.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:38 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:So anyways, Bee eats Cow and gains 48XP raising it to 50/100XP.

Player stack reforms and moves as indicated. Jolly Bee moves towards capital.

Anything else you want done before ending turn?

I believe Swod intended to rendezvous with the rest of us, mount Bob Enweave as a rider and have us move as a stack to a spot thats 1 hex away from the Bipolar bear and 5 hexes away from the house. ( and hope the bear would attack of it's own accord ! ) I'm guessing that's what you mean as moves as indicated.....
Werebiscuit

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games