Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Disciples of Erfworld - The Contagion - rules and signup

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:37 pm

Swodaems wrote:I suggest we first try to enter a longer conversation with the man (What did the voice sound like? Loud,soft? Male, Female? actually disinterested in us or trying to get use to come back later.) to try and figure out exactly what he is trying to sell us and to haggle the price down a bit. If that doesn't work, we take a shit on his porch and maybe try setting his house on fire if his answer to our attempts at conversation are rude enough.

The voice was high-pitched, but male. Think the 'it's alive!' guy, with extra cackle and rudeness.

You have a strong feeling that whoever's trapped in a lonely house somewhere in the mountains, unable to raise 1000Schmuckers and terminally rude, will also not be particularly powerful, connected, or missed. Surely you could off whoever's inside with no regrets. Whatsoever.

Still, the fellow inside really seemed to want those 1000Schmuckers.

As far as I can ascertain, the player party is together at the house, deciding whether to poop on it or burn it down or -le gasp- trying to figure out what's going on here. I'll assume you're the ask questions first, eat corpses later kind of fellows, so one of you decides to make the obvious inquiry-

"If we bring you 1000Schmuckers, what do we get?"

The cackling from inside stops.

"Darkness! Cover of Darkness! The ability to move free from inquiring eyes! With just one ingredient my research will be complete and I'll show them all!"

I'll now go and parse for the GBDuo battle specs.

It would help if, in the future, orders you want carried out are listed concisely and in bold, to stand out from the rest of the text for me. (Also put questions in bold, for the same reason, please).
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:45 pm

I think we should clear the area, build up our cities to at least level 2 or 3, and buy the last ingredient he needs to get the Cover of Darkness ability before we start expanding.

Question: Other than increased revenue, are there any advantages to higher-level cities?

Question: Do we have a portal to the Magic Kingdom yet, or do we have any idea what it takes to get one?

Question: Can newly-popped units be consumed for any XP, by the Star Child for example?
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:51 pm

MarbitChow wrote:I think we should clear the area, build up our cities to at least level 2 or 3, and buy the last ingredient he needs to get the Cover of Darkness ability before we start expanding.

Question: Other than increased revenue, are there any advantages to higher-level cities?

Question: Do we have a portal to the Magic Kingdom yet, or do we have any idea what it takes to get one?

Question: Can newly-popped units be consumed for any XP, by the Star Child for example?

Last ingredient, oddly enough, is 1000Schmuckers.

Answer 1: Defense scores. Level 5 adds a whopping 50% to def, and that is one Massive boost. (I'll go with an odd choice here and restrict a side to have on L5 city; they'll be big fights to take, requiring a lot of pre-buffing).

Second question: Nope, and Nope.

Third question: yes. It would provide 0XP.

On the GBDuo- that's a fairly easy battle to run, but I'm having trouble parsing who dropped who off and where.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:02 pm

Aah wait, I see that you've all come to an agreement on where to drop off and where to meet:

Werebiscuit wrote:
Swodaems wrote:Do you see the hex that is two hexes south of Ground 0? It has the properties of being 5 away from the Grizzled Bear, 3 away from the house, 3 away from the ruins, and 4 away from the tetra wolves. If Bob Enweave heads there from the house, he can pick me up and we can rejoin the party for either the ruins or the wolves.

See it...and I'll get there to rendezvous and ferry you back.

Which places Bob Enweave one hex away from Ground Zero, two hexes away from the house.

Ok, GBDuo. I'll assume Swodaems alternates between {sequences of} Attack and Defense actions, and waits to get fully healed by the Jolly Bee before delivering the finishing blow to the Grizzled Bear.

So it's the last round, Bear's on its last hitpoints, but having higher combat, it strikes first. And misses. Random.org really loves you, apparently.

Manager kills the Bear. Manager and Bridget each get 40XP. You also have a Grizzled Bear corpse. (Melee/Might/Force)

Stats:

Spoiler: show
Manager (ETheBoyce):
----Melee/Might/Force;
----122/500XP;
----15/15HP
----Nat Armor

Patty flipper (Watermonkey314):
----Melee/Magic/Skill
----23/80XP;
----4/10HP

Grillphon (Bob Enweave: Werebiscuit):
----Archer/Might/Skill;
----31/800XP;
----16/16HP;
----Nat Armor

Patty flipper (Bob Posgen: The Colonel):
----Melee/Magic/Skill
----22/80XP;
----10/10HP;

Bridget: Jolly Bee (kriss1989):
----Support/Might/Force
----22/100XP;
----6/6HP;

THAC0 Bell (MarbitChow):
----Archer/Might/Force
----23/40XP;
----4/4HP;

Manager{NatArmor} (Swodaems):
----Melee/Might/Skill
----66/500XP;
----15/15HP;

All-a-paino (Harkin: 0beron):
----Archon/Magic/Force
----23/100XP;
----4/4HP;

NPC Sprite:
----Support/Magic/Force
----0/500XP;
----12/12HP;

Your treasury has 353Schmuckers
Last edited by BLANDCorporatio on Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Swodaems » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:21 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Which places Bob Enweave one hex away from Ground Zero, two hexes away from the house.

Manager kills the Bear. Manager and Bridget each get 40XP. You also have a Grizzled Bear corpse. (Melee/Might/Force)

Jolly Bee (kriss1989):
----Support/Might/Force
----62/100XP;
----6/6HP;

NPC Jolly Bee:
----Support/Magic/Force
----60/100XP;
----6/6HP;

Actually the NPC Bee was supposed to be the Jolly Bee helping me, not kriss1989, (Who I think couldnt reach as he was with the house party and we only have one mount.) This should level NPC Bee to level 2.
Swodaems

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:13 pm

Ah. Right ya are, fixed the listings.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:39 pm

So, thoughts for this turn:

Swodaems & NPC be drag the Bear corpse 3 hexes SE (to the hex right above the word 'Frankenfurter'). Units at the house rendezvous at the same hex. I eat the bear, and level.

PHASE 1 : We create the following stack:

Front Line : { Watermonkey314, Werebiscuit, MarbitChow, The Colonel}
Rear Line : { NPC Sprite, ETheBoyce, Swodaems, kriss1989 }

We go after the 4 pack of wolves, who are doing about 5 damage per attack. Our entire front line defends, so we take approx 10 damage total. We heal 9 (6 heal & 3 heal w/ leadership). Our warriors concentrate on 1 wolf, dropping it in 2-3 turns. At that point, we should be able to heal as fast as the wolves damage. We should be able to clear out the pack without any losses. The down-side is that 0beron would need to be left out.

PHASE 2 : ETheBoyce drags 4 wolf carcases towards home. We create the following stack:

Rear Line : { NPC Sprite, 0beron, Swodaems, kriss1989 }

Same as above, but it takes longer since 0beron isn't doing as much damage as ETheBoyce was. We go after the 6-pack of wolves. The only difference is that we drop whichever wolves don't have wolves behind them in the 2nd row before we drop the rest.

We split into 2 stacks and drag 6 wolf corpses back.

We should be able to use the corpses to make 10 more mounts, giving us the ability to split into 3 stacks w/ mounts protecting all of the melee, archon, and support we want to create. We'll already have 2 leaders. Now we should be able to start exploring in some safety, as well as taking the 2nd city. Thoughts?
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:41 pm

We also haven't moved very far, there's more discussion and debate than action, so you're not missing too much between log-ins
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby ETheBoyce » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:46 am

I don't think wolves in the back row can attack at all until the entire front row has been defeated, at least I'm pretty sure that's how Disciples did it
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Swodaems » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:04 pm

MarbitChow, I have some concerns about your plan.
MarbitChow wrote:Swodaems & NPC be drag the Bear corpse 3 hexes SE (to the hex right above the word 'Frankenfurter'). Units at the house rendezvous at the same hex. I eat the bear, and level.
First, I believe, as written, this manuver uses up all of the move of the melee members of the house party. We would have to devote a turn to leveling you. Second, I don't think it is based on an accurate idea of where everyone is. Bland decided to go with the version of events "Which places Bob Enweave one hex away from Ground Zero, two hexes away from the house." Due to movement restrictions, this means I am not actually in the hex that has the Grizzled bear image on it. NPC Bee and I stopped in one of the two hexes north east and south east of it and let it attack us. The hex right above the word frankenfurter (assuming you meant the middle of the word, not the beginning or end,) is actually either 2 hexes SE of me or 2 hexes SE and 1 S of me. Third, are you sure you want to eat the grizzled bear corpse? It shares 2 of your 3 paths, so you would get 60% exp from it (I think you would get 160*.6= 96 exp). That is enough to level you to 2 this turn, but you already have 23 of the 40 exp needed to level. You could soon level to 2 without eating and then use your once in a lifetime slurp to eat a target that would provide you with better exp later. (If you helped take out the wolves as part of an 8 man team, that would be enough exp to get to 2.)

Also, if NPC bee and I both do the dragging, then our range is actually less then what it would be if only NPC Bee dragged. With a 2/3 movement penalty, NPC Bee and I use up 3 move per mountain hex and I only have 10 to start with, meaning I can really only move 3 hexes. With just NPC dragging, it suffers a 1/2 penalty and spends 4 move per mountain hex. However, since NPC Bee starts with 22 move, it has a range of 5 mountain hexes. This is the same range I have without dragging anything.(These rules about moving corpses don't say anything about increased dragging penalties for the dragged unit being a mount or heavy.) I can get back to Bob Enweave's current position and leave NPC Bee to drag the corpse to either the capital or somewhere else.

If you do want to eat the corpse, I suggest you seperate from the group and have NPC Bee meet up with you in one of the 3 hexes that is both 5 hexes away from where we fought the Grizzled bear and 2 hexes away from the house. (These hexes consist of Bob Enweave's current position and the two hexes south of it.) You have depending on how the increase to your move is applied, you should be able to get to the meet up with and rejoin the party for either the ruins or the wolves.

MarbitChow wrote:PHASE 1 : We create the following stack:

Rear Line : { NPC Sprite, ETheBoyce, Swodaems, kriss1989 }

We go after the 4 pack of wolves, who are doing about 5 damage per attack. Our entire front line defends, so we take approx 10 damage total. We heal 9 (6 heal & 3 heal w/ leadership). Our warriors concentrate on 1 wolf, dropping it in 2-3 turns. At that point, we should be able to heal as fast as the wolves damage. We should be able to clear out the pack without any losses. The down-side is that 0beron would need to be left out.
If you do end up deciding to eat the bear corpse, I think you are underestimating the amount of damage the units that you are tell to defend can do and over estimating the wolves' damage. The wolves have 50 combat and, with leadership, our melee will have 55 and our archers 65. Also with leadership, our managers will do 7 damage, our Grillphons 6 and our patty flippers do 3. If we assign 1 of each to attack the 2 middle wolves, then, after accounting for the CTH, we would have a 57.8% chance to croak each of them before they can attack.
If you take natural armour and we put the managers in the front row and the the patty flippers on top of the Grillphons, then the entire front row could have 20 def after leadership is applied. It would be enough to decrease the wolves damage per attack from 5 to 4.

MarbitChow wrote:PHASE 2 : ETheBoyce drags 4 wolf carcases towards home. With 4 corpses in tow, he'll suffer a 1/5 movement penalty.
It will use all 10 of his move just to move thru 1 of the mountain hexes he needs to cross. This means that dragging the corpses to the capital takes him 6 turns to do.

BLAND, do you need a perk chosen for NPC Bee before ending the turn? (Natural armour seems like the best choice here. NPC Bee should be traveling with units that already have leadership and he already has 22 move, so fleet foot seems unneeded. (Of course, having 24 move instead of 22 means that he can drag the corpse 1 mountain hex further.)) I don't think were going to pop anything, and we should probably take a look at the map again.
Swodaems

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:24 pm

Swodaems wrote:If you do want to eat the corpse, I suggest you seperate from the group and have NPC Bee meet up with you in one of the 3 hexes that is both 5 hexes away from where we fought the Grizzled bear and 2 hexes away from the house. (These hexes consist of Bob Enweave's current position and the two hexes south of it.) You have depending on how the increase to your move is applied, you should be able to get to the meet up with and rejoin the party for either the ruins or the wolves.
Sounds good. I'd assumed the Bee would drag it as close to us as possible, using all it's move, then it could ride me at least one or two squares back once I become a mount. I'll let the choice of targets determine where I need to be. My assumption is that we're getting to the point where all our targets have full front lines, which means that our center two units have to be able to survive 3 attacks for 2 turns in a row.

I've got no issues eating the bear now unless we've got a better use for it. I'm going to be a front-line fighter, and probably a front-center fighter until we get some more NPCs, so I'm assuming I'll experience at least one death, and sooner rather than later. I'd rather grab a decent amount of XP now (which will convert 90% to my next life upon my death); it will be a decently long time before we find a 3rd+ level Archer/Might/Force unit (2nd level only needs 40 xp, so that's only 36 for me), so I'm guessing the bear's going to be the best chance I get for a while, and if we do find one, I'll retire this mount to NPC status and take the newly-popped on if it puts me ahead XP-wise.

Swodaems wrote:If you take natural armour and we put the managers in the front row and the the patty flippers on top of the Grillphons, then the entire front row could have 20 def after leadership is applied. It would be enough to decrease the wolves damage per attack from 5 to 4.
Which is still enough to do 12 damage to a single unit; 6 if they defend. My assumption is that, since our healing is less than the damage the enemies put out, our entire front line should be defending until we drop at least one or two of the attackers. Since we want the highest hit/def tanking, that means our damage dealing is greatly reduced, so I wanted to make sure that we could completely withstand the entire sequence of attacks until we were able to drop one or two attackers and switch to offense.

Mostly I'm just throwing out ideas and letting them get fine-tuned, though, so that we can continue to progress.
MarbitChow

Postby 0beron » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:12 pm

I just skimmed through so I can't comment in detail, but I DO seriously dislike the idea of being left out. And also I do way MORE damage remember, because I attack all units at once. So when we go against groups as apposed to single units, I'm highly valuable.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:47 pm

Then let's just move all the PCs to the Ruins and roll the dice, and let's get the first couple of PC deaths out of the way. Death is only a 10% XP penalty, so we might as well learn to embrace it.
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:49 am

ETheBoyce wrote:I don't think wolves in the back row can attack at all until the entire front row has been defeated, at least I'm pretty sure that's how Disciples did it

Yep, and this remains valid here. In fact, the odd 'melee units in back row' thing is a bit of a lampshade hanging/shout out to the source material, as such stacks did indeed crop up from time to time (and often, with wolves).

Swodaems wrote:BLAND, do you need a perk chosen for NPC Bee before ending the turn?

Yes. Also, I'd prefer if questions and orders were bolded, for quick visibility, please.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Swodaems » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:07 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
Swodaems wrote:BLAND, do you need a perk chosen for NPC Bee before ending the turn?

Yes. Also, I'd prefer if questions and orders were bolded, for quick visibility, please.

NPC Bee takes natural armour. And we end turn without popping anything else.
Swodaems

Postby The Colonel » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:33 am

I take leadership!
The Colonel

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Map coming right up for the new turn.

And yeah, hexographer is kinda ugly with its icons. I'll probably just add those over, in GIMP from now on, and use more visible things a-la juniorgenerals.

Anyway.

Stats:

Manager (ETheBoyce):
----Melee/Might/Force;
----122/500XP;
----15/15HP
----Nat Armor

Patty flipper (Watermonkey314):
----Melee/Magic/Skill
----23/80XP;
----10/10HP

Grillphon (Bob Enweave: Werebiscuit):
----Archer/Might/Skill;
----31/800XP;
----16/16HP;
----Nat Armor

Patty flipper (Bob Posgen: The Colonel):
----Melee/Magic/Skill
----22/80XP;
----10/10HP;

Bridget: Jolly Bee (kriss1989):
----Support/Might/Force
----22/100XP;
----6/6HP;

THAC0 Bell (MarbitChow):
----Archer/Might/Force
----23/40XP;
----4/4HP;

Manager{NatArmor} (Swodaems):
----Melee/Might/Skill
----66/500XP;
----15/15HP;

All-a-paino (Harkin: 0beron):
----Archon/Magic/Force
----23/100XP;
----4/4HP;

NPC Sprite:
----Support/Magic/Force
----0/500XP;
----12/12HP;
----Nat Armor;

Your treasury has 444Schmuckers

Notable events- a Jolly Bee belonging to the Burgers explored the mine, found it empty and claimed it for the Burgers. It appears not to have noticed you or your city yet, but one has to wonder what goes on in the minds of the Burgers when the Mad Cow they've blasted with a spell (spoiler, THAT's why it was missing 2 hits) vanished into thin air. And if they could blast the Cow, then they could see it, and if they could see it, then they could see you when attacking it.

The Colonel wrote:I take leadership!

Noted. When levelling up that's what I'll record as your selection.
Last edited by BLANDCorporatio on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:32 pm

Okaaaaay, so with the Burgers noticing our presence I think we have to make a move on some big target, and then prepare for a Burger scouting party. I'm thinking the Sixpack of Wolves, or maybe even the ruins if we feel especially brave.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Swodaems » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Bland, what would happen if we attack the Jolly bee with the sprite? Neither 1 has the the ability to do damage.
Swodaems

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Swodaems wrote:Bland, what would happen if we attack the Jolly bee with the sprite? Neither 1 has the the ability to do damage.

The universe would collapse into a singularity as a division by zero damage occurred in the estimation of combat rounds to end of battle.

Now seriously, the two critters will awkwardly look at each other, exchange coldly polite pleasantries, do small talk about the weather, horrible bosses and how there's not one decent bar left in town.

After which they will leave each other's company, with the Burger Bee still in the mine.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games