Erfworld Matrix Game II

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Erfworld Matrix Game II

Postby LTDave » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:45 am

This game was last played over Christmas and New Year 2010 / 11. Time for another go I think...

An Erfworld Matrix Campaign
By Lt. D. Grounds, (BBusFiEconDis, BTh)
With editorial assistance from Mr Ronaldo Calliari, late of Her Majesty’s Secret Service.

Preamble:
There are a lot of games on the forum with at a tactical level, and some that try to replicate Empires in detail. This game aims to be Strategic and broad.
For more information on this style of game, use the Google and enter “Matrix Games Chris Engels”. Or visit this site: http://www.onr.com/user/bturner/far_col ... atrix.html which contains the basic rules I would like to use for this Campaign. All credit to Chris Engels for anything stolen from him (and or her – Chris is a pretty non-gender specific name where I’m from – but probably him).

The Game:
Each player controls an Erfworld Nation. The object of the Game is to capture the Capital of one of the opposing Nations. If at the end of a Round you have captured an opposing Capital and still control your own, you are the Winner (and Greatest Tool of the Titans).

Players:
Any number of players can join. I would like at least five.

How do we play:
In round 0, give your nation and ruler their names, and then give FIVE characteristics of the nation. Characteristics represent the strengths of your nation, and must consist of an Adjective and a Noun. For example: “Strong Military” is a characteristic. “Military” is not.
Characteristics are used as REASONS in your arguments.

Arguments
In round 1, and each round after, each player may propose an ARGUMENT. An argument consists of an ACTION and a RESULT. Each Argument may have up to three REASONS. Arguments may relate to any nation in the game, not just your own. But each player may only make one argument per round.
For Example:
King Jetstone creates a powerful army in his Capital.
Reasons: 1. Jetstone has a STRONG MILITARY
2. Jetstone has a LARGE TREASURY
3. The King is an ABLE ADMINISTRATOR

Ratings
At the end of the round, the GM will judge each argument, and rate them VERY STRONG, STRONG, NORMAL, WEAK, or STUPID, and then roll a d6 to determine outcomes.
VERY STRONG arguments will succeed on a roll of 1-5.
STRONG arguments will succeed on a roll of 1-4.
NORMAL arguments will succeed on a roll of 1-3.
WEAK arguments will succeed on a roll of 1-2.
VERY WEAK arguments will success on a roll of 1.
STUPID arguments will never succeed (An argument would have to be very stupid to be judged as such. For example: The King turns into a flying anchovy and devours the entire world, ending the game, and making me emperor of the pizza planet).

Ratings are based on Reasons and Results. If the result is pretty minor, the rating will be stronger than a disastrous Result. For Example: “My army wins the battle” is going to have a better rating than “My army destroys every living thing that opposes them.”

No discussion will be entered into as to ratings or dice results. The GM’s decision is final.

Counter Arguments
Players may attempt to use their argument to change the outcome of another player’s argument. For example:

"Yes, and…" arguments add an extra result to a previous argument and give +1 to the die roll.

"Yes, but…" arguments change the effect of an action.

"No, Actually..." arguments contradict both the action and the result, but give -1 to the die roll.

So, the Jetstone player make the argument above about creating a powerful army. Another player may use their argument to say “Yes, and the Army has a large amount of Heavy Units.” This “Yes, and…” is in effect helping the Jetstone player, whose rating and results are improved.

Another player might say, “Yes, but the army is not powerful. In fact, it is quite average.” If successful, this modification would change the outcome of the Jetstone argument. They would end up with an Average Army, instead of a Powerful Army.

Another player might try a “No, Actually the King decides to commission a work of art, and the Jetstone Treasury is wasted.” This argument is less likely to succeed, but if it did it would damage the Jetstone nation.

Another player might decide to support a previous “No, actually…” by adding a “Yes, and…” to it, increasing its chance of success.

A ”Yes, and...” argument can only relate to the nations invovled in the original argument, and the original action.
So player A says "A attacks B and wins".
Another player can only make a Yes, and... that relates to A & B (not C or D). So:
"Yes, A attacks B and wins, AND A's army has great morale" FINE.
"Yes, A attacks B and wins, AND C gets a brand new bicycle" NOT FINE.

Reasons:
All arguments and counter arguments should have three Reasons to support them. If the arguments are characteristics of the relevant nation, this will help improve the rating of the argument. Reasons may also be based on successful arguments of previous rounds. If the Jetstone Nation was successful in creating a Powerful Army in a previous round, they could use this as a reason to defeat their enemies in battle.
Our Army crosses the border and defeats the army of Gobwin Knob in the field.
Reasons:
1. Powerful Army
2. Strong Military
3. Lots of Heavy Units

Rounds and Time:
Players will have 48 hours from the start of the round to make their argument. They will then be rated by the GM, dice rolled, and outcomes listed on the forum. A new round will then begin. Arguments can be made about any nation in the game, and do not have to relate to earlier arguments at all.

Competing Arguments:
Let’s say Jetstone makes an argument that “the Jetstone Army fights the Gobwin Knob army and routs them from the field.”
And the Gobwin Knob player argues “The Gobwin Knob Army fights the Jetstone Army and defeats them, wiping them out.” Only one result can be true.
In this case, the GM will rate both arguments and then roll dice until one fails.
For example, the Jetstone argument could be judged as Strong, while the Gobwin Knob argument is Normal. Dice are rolled until one fails.
One of the arguments will succeed (unless it is Stupid)

So How do I win?
You win by making an argument that leaves you in control of another nation’s capital. If your argument is “My army attacks and defeats the garrison of the Escotian capital, and we capture it.” And this succeeds, you win the game. Probably every other player will want this to fail, so you’ll have a lot of counter arguments. It’ll be hard to do. You’ll need to build up a series of good reasons to win an argument like that. So you might spend a turn marching close to the Escotian Capital. The next turn you might besiege the city. The next turn you might breach the walls. And then you could argue for capture and victory. But other players will be trying to stop you!
If someone proposes an argument that might win them the game (ie, the result of the argument involves occupying another player's capital), then the time allowance for argument posting will be increased by 24 hours, and players who have proposed an earlier argument may change it if they wish to do so.

And is there a map?
No. The world exists as the players describe it in their arguments.

And, what, no numbers?
And no, no numbers. Very strange for one of my games. Instead, it is about adjectives. If a Powerful army goes up against a Strong army, it will be up to the GM to decide which has the advantage. You might try to argue for superlatives, like “Invincible Army”, but they’ll be rated tougher as a result.

Can an argument change a past event?
No. If in Round 1 it is found that your army defeated the enemy, no one can argue in round 2 that the enemy actually defeated your army in round 1. They could argue for a new army, or a complication, but what has been declared to have happened has happened.

Can an argument be used again and again?
Yes. If an argument was very strong last round and failed, try it again this round. You might get lucky.

What if a player does not post an argument?
Then they don’t get an action that round. Players will have 48 hours from the GM’s post to give an argument. If you hold back, waiting to counter something else, you might miss out.

Goal:
The aim of this game is to be entertaining and fun. You might not win, but hopefully you’ll enjoy the experience.
Last edited by LTDave on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LTDave

Re: Erfworld Matrix Game II

Postby LTDave » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:46 am

Any takers?
LTDave

Postby The Colonel » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:14 am

Nobgrub is an awesome country!

CHARACTERISTICS

STRONG MILITARY
LARGE COFFERS
HARDWORKING WORKFORCE
ABLE ADMINISTRATION
CLEVER WARLORDS
The Colonel

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:22 am

I'm interested (and yay for the Escotia shoutout in the rules!). I'm not sure if I'll bring Escotia back though...
WaterMonkey314

Postby LTDave » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:02 am

Thanks for the interest so far. As a slight change, here's a map of our world. As part of describing your nation, tell me where your Capital is situated.

Spoiler: show
Last edited by LTDave on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
LTDave

Postby LTDave » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:36 pm

The Empire of the Rising Hedgepig

The Empire is ruled over by the vicious and cut-throat Mrs Nobblytwink. The Empire extends over a swathe of the Southern Part of the World, from the Two Islands in the North, to the Swamp in the West, to the Mountains in the South, and to the Sea in the East. No one can stand against the invincible legions of the Hedgepig.

The Hedgepig have:
An Impressive Ruler
A Sizeable Empire
Excellent Infantry
Capable Navy
Fantastic Spies
Last edited by LTDave on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
LTDave

Postby ETheBoyce » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:24 pm

Ye Olde Righteous and Formidable Kingdom of Stoneheart.

Led by King Obs Dian the kingdom of Stoneheart is situated in the mountains just Northwest of the center of the map, the one with the forests to its west. Those who try to assail it find themselves buried under an avalanche of destructive Force.

Stoneheart has:
Abundant Mines
Adept Casters
Superb Defenses
Unerring Ranged Units
Honorable Reputation
ETheBoyce
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:58 pm

The Principality of Acotise

The Commonwealth of Escotia flourished for millenia after ESCORKAND's victory in Arkadia, but all things must come to an end. The capital of Argenta was lost to the sea; the empire it commanded dissolved.

Or so the world thought.

Unknown to the rest of Erf, a core of the Escotian Commonwealth survived in secrecy in the sunken city of Argenta; the brilliance of Escotia's casters had Predicted its fall and taken appropriate precautions. Led by the Lord Principal, the Principality of Acotise survives undetected beneath the waves of the Silver Sea to the east of the Two Islands.

Acotise is blessed with:

An UNDETECTABLE NAVY
An UNDERWATER CAPITAL
MASTER-CLASS CASTERS
AMPHIBIOUS INFANTRY
UNDERSEA RICHES
WaterMonkey314

Postby Exate » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:37 am

The Kingdom of Flimsywhimble, centered at the spot where the two major rivers meet in the east-and-slightly-north of the map, has...

GREAT LUCK
VICTORIOUS DESTINY
PLUCKY WARLORDS
SAGE ADVISERS
MIGHTY BEASTS
Exate
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby LTDave » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:39 am

Map updated. At least two more players needed to make for a good game.
LTDave

Postby ETheBoyce » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:13 am

You know, I seem to have trouble distinguishing my east from my west, I mean the Mountains north of the ones I'm currently located, with the forests to the East <_<
ETheBoyce

Postby LTDave » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:18 am

East is Right. West is Left. Unlike, you know, in the real world, where the West is Right, and the East tends Left.
Of course, I live in the Global South, but still part of the right leaning West.

(I'll move your Mountain Stronghold when next I update the map...)
LTDave

Postby The Colonel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:47 am

Waagh of Nobgrub

A "country" with Loads of space. Its capital is situated to the north of the continent, west of its rolling hills on the shore of the sea.

It's an offshoot of the original Nobgrub, they are survivors of Nobgrub's Eastern Exploration fleet.

CHARACTERISTICS

STRONG MILITARY
LARGE COFFERS
HARDWORKING WORKFORCE
ABLE ADMINISTRATION
CLEVER WARLORDS
Last edited by The Colonel on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Colonel

Postby Werebiscuit » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:07 am

LTDave wrote:East is Right. West is Left. Unlike, you know, in the real world, where the West is Right, and the East tends Left.
Of course, I live in the Global South, but still part of the right leaning West.

(I'll move your Mountain Stronghold when next I update the map...)

Actually Dave, I think you'll find that the West is Righteous and the East tends to be Left alone :twisted:
I saw what you did there...
Werebiscuit

Postby LTDave » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:12 am

And your nation is...?

join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us or die join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join usjoin us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us join us...
LTDave

Postby The Colonel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:19 am

EDIT YOUR MAP!
The Colonel

Postby LTDave » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:34 am

USE APOSTROPHES CORRECTLY!
LTDave

Postby The Colonel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:39 am

I DID NOT MISUSE APOSTROPHES!

your
   [yoor, yawr, yohr; unstressed yer]
pronoun
(a form of the possessive case of you used as an attributive adjective): Your jacket is in that closet. I like your idea. Compare yours.

EDIT (CHANGE) YOUR (THE MAP BELONGS TO YOU) MAP (IT'S A BLEEDING MAP!)
The Colonel

Postby LTDave » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:51 am

The Colonel wrote:Waagh of Nobgrub

A "country" with Loads of space. It's capital is situated to the north of the continent, west of its rolling hills on the shore of the sea.

Apology accepted. And I'm working on the map. Don't nag me. Geez.
LTDave

Postby The Colonel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:53 am

Look again!
The Colonel

Next

Return to Your Games