Darkness Rising - The New Batch

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising - The New Batch

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:58 pm

0beron wrote:I'm gonna think like Parson here, in order to prevent hax...Units that explode don't grant XP the their side either though, right? Cus their side isn't *really* killing them.
That is correct. Units on your side that are killed by your own side by any means(including through Explody, units firing on each other like the Archons did, and through harvesting) never grant XP.
MarbitChow

Postby tigerusthegreat » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:02 pm

So, we need to decide if we are sending in the kitty or not.
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 6/25/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 6/24/2014 (First Page)
Party Raid, a TCG Development Journal Updated 6/24/14
tigerusthegreat

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:16 pm

MarbitChow wrote:(Rules notes: Critical ranges are officially 11-12 for success, 2-3 for failure. Success grants +4 Combat / level. Failure grants -4 Combat / level.)

Eh wot? Is this valid for the other campaign thread also?

And why did it appear, was it meant to make the random factor more significant in a blow or something? If that's the case, is there a justification for that? Maybe the thinking goes that the random-er the results of an attack, the less likely the players are to micromanage the actions in lengthy strategising discussions?

I'm trying to figure this out because, full disclosure, so far Will could afford to care not much about rolls (which was sort of the point, or one of them, of maxCombat). So I'm a bit biased against, obviously :P
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:58 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Eh wot? Is this valid for the other campaign thread also?
Not yet. It's part of the new rule set (which 'The New Batch' are getting to playtest). Once Dis City is done and the players are merged, it will likely be in effect for all,
BLANDCorporatio wrote:And why did it appear, was it meant to make the random factor more significant in a blow or something?
It's part of introducing Luckamancy. The random factor becomes more significant, giving the luckamancer more to do. Boosts mitigate critical failures, and increase critical successes. I plan to introduce a spell or two to increase the critical ranges to make them even more likely in the final draft.

Honestly, I'm thinking that Will and the Luckamancer would become fast friends. With Boosts to get 2 rolls per shot, and increased critical ranges, Will's got a decent chance to get a +16 damage bump on a given shot (even more at level 5+), and almost no chance for critical misses.
MarbitChow

Postby LTDave » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:55 pm

CroverusRaven wrote:Whump will smash MS01 the next chance he gets.

"Good work, Whump. But you missed, and killed that pig golem instead. Focus, Whump, focus."

"Also, why are you laughing? You just took 9 hits from the pig golem."
LTDave

Postby tigerusthegreat » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:15 pm

"Let him laugh, we just killed two of their strongest melee units. If we could only kill those archers, we would have an easy day." Regus turns to Killroy and Moe. "Archers! If those enemy crossbow marbits stop dodging, make pincussions out of them. I'll bring in some more legionaires to help protect you! Its clear foolamancy isn't going to work today."

That bluff isn't very good, but we've wasted too much juice on these veils. Lets hope it works.

"Whump, Wegio, its good work so far...you too Zed...lets keep this up and hope we don't get to be pincushions before the archers have a chance to act. We need to get rid of those mice as well."

OOC: So, with the free restack at the beginning of the turn, I'm going to include Whump in the stack, but I'm not sure who to get rid of to facilitate it. I'm tempted to drop one of the casters, since they will be staying out of hex for a little longer, but if they do enter they will need every bit of defense they can get (not to mention the combat bonus if they're going to be using shoot actions).

I think we need to feed some mice to our naughty kitty.

Also, Marbit, what program do you use for those maps?
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 6/25/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 6/24/2014 (First Page)
Party Raid, a TCG Development Journal Updated 6/24/14
tigerusthegreat

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:52 pm

LTDave wrote:
I'm sure Whump meant to target the lower-Hit, higher-Combat unit, and it was just a typo. 'P' is right next to 'M', after all, and 'G' is right next to 'S' on the keyboard. An easy mistake - it happens all the time.

tigerusthegreat wrote:Also, Marbit, what program do you use for those maps?
I use GIMP 2.8 for all images.
MarbitChow

Postby CroverusRaven » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Yes... I totally meant to kill the lower Hits one. In my defense I posted that right before passing out from sleep deprivation.
CroverusRaven

Postby LTDave » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:16 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
LTDave wrote:
I'm sure Whump meant to target the lower-Hit, higher-Combat unit, and it was just a typo. 'P' is right next to 'M', after all, and 'G' is right next to 'S' on the keyboard. An easy mistake - it happens all the time.

What kind of keyboard do you have?

My next question is why the Pig got to fight back - didn't it use its attack already in hitting Whump when he moved into the hex? Do all units that get attacked get to fight back? If so, why didn't Wegio get to hit back at the Marbit Warrior who smacked him with that cute little axe? Or am I missing something?

Wegio swelled with Pride as the Commander said he had done a good job. "About time I get some recognition." he thought. "I chopped up that Pig-thing pretty nice."
LTDave

Postby Nnelg » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:34 am

LTDave wrote:What kind of keyboard do you have?

DVORAK, maybe?

MarbitChow wrote:
Nnelg wrote:And finally, we should NOT send either of the casters in until those archers have been eliminated, no matter how long that takes.
Are you aware that, while mounted, a mount absorbs all Attack, Strike, and Fire actions that are aimed at its rider? The mice are the only real threat to Nemo while he's mounted, and he can fire from the mount freely.

Yes, I know that and having Nemo ride into the 'safe zone' that Kilroy and Moe have made was part of my original plan. However, Nemo's fire alone is much less likely to do any damage as the Kitty's own melee attack is, and I was trying to adapt Werebiscuit's idea so that we could reach a consensus easier.

tigerusthegreat wrote:That bluff isn't very good, but we've wasted too much juice on these veils. Lets hope it works.

No, they aren't wasted. They're simply prospects that didn't pan out. After all, it's not like I have any other spells to pour juice into.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:49 am

LTDave wrote:What kind of keyboard do you have?
Normal QWERTY. I was just being goofy.

LTDave wrote:My next question is why the Pig got to fight back - didn't it use its attack already in hitting Whump when he moved into the hex?
No, it didn't. Only the spearmen attacked on Phase 6, since they were going to lose their delayed action that phase. The pig had a delayed action from 8, and he used it as soon as there was a non-dodging target adjacent to him.

Delayed actions can be used at any time, and similar actions that occur during the same phase are simultaneous. Everything resolves at the end of the phase, so if you have a readied action, you can use it to drink a potion before you die, for example.

Nnelg wrote:Yes, I know that and having Nemo ride into the 'safe zone' that Kilroy and Moe have made was part of my original plan.
Got it. We're at Phase 3 now, so both Nemo and Chance can act. As a reminder, place official orders for your characters in bold, and remember to include destination coordinates when you move.
MarbitChow

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:53 am

Damn ! I just thought of a fancy wheeze..we could have pulled. Veil Rudy as Anex and Anex as Rudy. The Veil'd Rudy( Who is Anex) will go stand behind Kilroy ( who is veiled as Anex). The veil'd Anex (Who is RUDY) will stand behind Moe. When Both their veils drop as they act they will appear to have shifted to stand behind themselves.. The Marbit crossbows will hopefully be so confused they won't know which one to fire at. Hopefully that delay will allow our shots enough time to hit that if we kill outright they will die in confusion without returning fire.

At the very least it should see the crossbows unable to all co-ordinate on a single target which makes their attacks less devastating.

Seem like a plan ?
Werebiscuit

Postby Nnelg » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:19 am

Good idea, but too late now, since I'll lose my action if I veil anyone. Maybe save it for next time?
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:46 am

Since I've been allowing units behind the hex border (for this combat only) to freely get veiled / boosted before entering, I'll allow it if you want to do it. (Especially since, if they get veiled, move in, and fire immediately, I don't need to change the art-work; I just need to change Nemo's current juice.) Just give the order in bold, and let me know if the mount's also going in, and if so, where.
MarbitChow

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:05 am

Like Nnelg I thought the idea came too late since we were talking about Nemo dismounting...which would also require his action. As would the casting of veils

Are you saying you'll allow them both Marbit ? i.e. Dismount AND veils or it is dismount OR veils ?
Werebiscuit

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:11 am

Both. I've been allowing veils to be added w/out action this entire round. He can continue to do so (1-time offer), and still dismount and send the kitty in this turn.
MarbitChow

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:22 am

To my Mind, its a no-brainer , then.

kitty goes to block and deal with mice. Rudy and Anex goes in veiled and fire at crossbow marbits.

With their cover/dodge we'll probably have to both target the same marbit.. who may lose his dodge in confusion as he fires ( if he does so he's toast) as Rudy will be 2d6 and Anex will be 2d6+3.. but it's also likely that Rudy could be 2d6-6 and Anex be 2d6-3 if the confusion sees them continue to dodge. If we can even negate cover by our position we're likely to take out a marbit crossbow.

If veiled Anex will move to G8 and dodge to wait for Rudy

P.S. She will enter the hex at D8 so she has to bypass Rudy spreading even more positional confusion.

MA03 is looking the likely target..as Rudy may break his cover
Werebiscuit

Postby bob the 6th » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:48 pm

you don't want rudy to far away from anexa, as he needs to buff her.
bob the 6th

Postby Nnelg » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:28 pm

Werebiscuit, I don't see why you're so worried about the mice. At the moment, their only available targets are Kilroy and Moe, both of whom can take 1 blast certainly, and have a decent (~40-50%) chance of surviving two (which I think is unlikely to happen). Neither unit is especially powerful anyways, and their players have expressed a willingness to take one for the team. (WW and Whump might be targeted as well, but Whump laughs at 2d6 and WW deserves what he gets imo.)

In contrast, the archers are a much more serious threat. Specifically, they threaten Anex, our highest-combat unit, who has the potential to become this group's version of Coil as she levels up. They also threaten the casters, either of which they could potentially croak in one shot.

So, how about this plan:

Nemo dismounts the Naughty Kitty, which then proceeds to O/P-13/14 and pounces on MA03. I highly doubt the marbits will do nothing in response to that. Anex and Rudy move in to H1 and H2 respectivly on Phase 1 or as soon as one of the other marbits takes its shot. From there they can choose whichever target looks best.

The casters hold back until the last marbit archer is dead. Then they can move in wherever and take potshots where needed to help with the mop-up operation.

Hm...
Marbit, can Leroy and Moe possibly stop dodging without wasting their action? (To make themselves better targets for the archers..)
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:33 pm

Nnelg wrote:Marbit, can Leroy and Moe possibly stop dodging without wasting their action? (To make themselves better targets for the archers..)
Yup. You can stop dodging at any time. You must stop once you attack.
MarbitChow

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games