Darkness Rising - The New Batch

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising - The New Batch

Postby bob the 6th » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:05 pm

yeah, that is the problem...

be better to grab heavy, or baring that well protected, beefy, block, and guard.

Though I do agree with the sentiment... just freekin charge, will clear out the expendables and make them all stop dodging.
bob the 6th

Postby Werebiscuit » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:28 pm

tigerusthegreat wrote:Once stacking/buffing is done, Regus will move to I9

Anex looks over at Regus and perks a tired brow. "Oh you, brave, impetuous fool ! How like you to berate the men and then try to save them by imperilling yourself" she dodges behind a rock at G12 ducking and weaving all the while preparing to unleash her discus at the splody mouse (SM02) should it get to the J line next to Regus and not explode.
Werebiscuit

Postby Werebiscuit » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:44 pm

Please note that the splody mice can reach the k-line between k1- k12 for SM01 and the i-line between i5 -i14 for SM02 and plan your moves accordingly.
We've already got 2 characters who'll be damaged by their explosions on turn 1.
Werebiscuit

Postby Nnelg » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:59 pm

For anyone who doesn't object to this plan:

On Round 6, a Lesser Boosted and Veiled (as T. Coil) Whump moves to L3 behind the rock and dodges.

We wait to see if the Splody Mouse takes the bait, then everyone else (except Fort and Wegio, who's needed as a bodyguard) will prepare to enter on round 4 (or 5, if the enemy moves first).
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby CroverusRaven » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:57 pm

It doesn't have immediete benefits compared to the having numerous other abilities, but gaiing an extra 3 combat stats and higher base stats seems to be nice.
CroverusRaven

Postby Exate » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:02 pm

The Colonel wrote:Is it wise to learn heavy?
Yuri has no complaints.

That said, there are an increasingly broad array of options available, and mounts are very, very nice. You might want to glance over the newest proposed rules and consider your build several levels out into the future before making a decision.
Exate
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:31 pm

tigerusthegreat wrote:Additional Abilities are unique modifiers. Each can only be purchased once.

Unless I missed an exception.

I'm pretty sure you can take them repeatedly - how else did William Tell get such a ridiculously high Com score?
WaterMonkey314

Postby bob the 6th » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:18 pm

leveling, a lot... also being a heavy while leveling. gives some nasty buffs, though mounts are really sweet.
bob the 6th

Postby tigerusthegreat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 pm

Seems that a heavy flier is the best of all worlds: lots of stats perlevel and lots of movement speed
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 6/25/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 6/24/2014 (First Page)
Party Raid, a TCG Development Journal Updated 6/24/14
tigerusthegreat

Postby bob the 6th » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:03 am

also a big fat target, with no way to gain cover... and no mount to suck up the damage.
bob the 6th

Postby Nnelg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:49 am

Nnelg wrote:For anyone who doesn't object to this plan:

On Round 6, a Lesser Boosted and Veiled (as T. Coil) Whump moves to L3 behind the rock and dodges.

We wait to see if the Splody Mouse takes the bait, then everyone else (except Fort and Wegio, who's needed as a bodyguard) will prepare to enter on round 4 (or 5, if the enemy moves first).

So, can I take it nobody objects? Can we lock this in for our actions up through round 6?

Edit: I would like to make one change though; it should be a Lesser Curse that's on Whump, since he can easily soak the damage and give us some good karma. (Which we'll be using on Anex).
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:21 am

Heavy is the gift that keeps on giving (apart from movement). Heavy flier is probably the best of all possible permutations as you have great stats and superb speed...and exactly the same defensive cover options as everyone else (note: not available while flying). However Heavy archer is not to be sniffed at either as the range completely negates the heavy's disadvantage of fixed movement in most situations and even when the opponents find cover you are no worse off than a heavy warrior in the same situation. Infact the archer is still better off as he still can hit (at a deduction) or do the same as a warrior and move to a position where he has an unobstructed hit.

Yes, the lack of mounts is a disadvantage but one that neither Yuri or Rolf is finding disabling as yet (depending, as they are, on their massive def and hits as a damage soak). In fact heavy has some hidden advantages in that it allows usage of siege weapons, as Rolf seriously wants a mobile ballista in Darkness Rising and if it's his tower that goes down is considering strapping the ballista to a naughty kitty saddle :twisted:
Werebiscuit

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:42 am

Nnelg wrote:
Nnelg wrote:For anyone who doesn't object to this plan:

So, can I take it nobody objects? Can we lock this in for our actions up through round 6?

Edit: I would like to make one change though; it should be a Lesser Curse that's on Whump, since he can easily soak the damage and give us some good karma. (Which we'll be using on Anex).

OOC Much as I'd love to use your good karma, from my reading of the luckamancer rules we don't actually get to specify where WE use the built up karma...good or bad... that the GM's perogative. We get to specify where we use the luck...again good or bad. So from my reading karma isn't as specifically applicable as luck. I'd rather we used the bad luck on them... sepcifically SM02 which will tear up Regus fairly badly even on an average roll ...and there's 3 crossbows to follow :shock: :( Not to mention the freakin Cloth golem lumbering behind them. :!: All of which can reach him. /OOC

From behind her rock Anex sizes up the situation and calls out "Zed -2 ! Your commander needs you ! NOW !"
Werebiscuit

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:53 am

WaterMonkey314 wrote:I'm pretty sure you can take them repeatedly - how else did William Tell get such a ridiculously high Com score?

As mentioned, levelling, Heavy's bonus to AP and stat points, AND an obsessive spending of said APs and stat points on Combat (almost) exclusively. Hopefully, Will shall eventually have some Siege ability a-la Discworld's The Piece-Maker so that the cannon-archer build would be complete.

Zed-2 is taking the other route of max-defense. I've yet to decide whether to purchase Heavy or not.

Speaking of Zed-2 ...

I presume you want Anex Guarded. Zed-2 does so, trying to keep a stern face wielding the puny shield while shaking in his boots.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:06 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Speaking of Zed-2 ...

I presume you want Anex Guarded. Zed-2 does so, trying to keep a stern face wielding the puny shield while shaking in his boots.

OOC Although she may have an authoratative voice Anex has no leadership and is thus just a grunt like Zed-2. Regus is the group's commander and is likely about to be blown up, shot and then thumped by a cloth golem (PG02).
He could do with some guard actions. Much as I H8 to suggest it there is one square beside Regus that the splody mouse can't touch and that Zed-2 will recieve cover from any crossbow bolts while being able to give guarding actions...but much as I H8 to say it the cloth golem (PG02) can still attack there... Can you guess where it is yet ? ;)

It's H8 just in case you hadn't guessed
/OOC
Werebiscuit

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:24 am

BTW Marbit...just for info.
I understand that if we use lesser curse and the spoldy mouse rolls twice but the second roll is higher that we accrue no karma since it's the original roll that counted anyway so luck changes nothing.
But does that mean we've used a juice point also...or does that only apply when luck/karma takes a hand ?
Werebiscuit

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:12 am

Werebiscuit wrote:if we use lesser curse and the spoldy mouse rolls twice but the second roll is higher that we accrue no karma since it's the original roll that counted anyway so luck changes nothing.
But does that mean we've used a juice point also...or does that only apply when luck/karma takes a hand ?
Lesser Curse is like a Ward. The caster spends Juice when he casts it, to place it on the target, and it remains until it's used. If the 2nd roll is higher, the curse isn't used up, and no Karma is accrued.

Also, I apologize for the lack of progress. Work has been a bit heavy lately. I hope to run the next turn tomorrow morning.
MarbitChow

Postby Nnelg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:25 am

Werebiscuit wrote:OOC Much as I'd love to use your good karma, from my reading of the luckamancer rules we don't actually get to specify where WE use the built up karma...good or bad... that the GM's perogative. We get to specify where we use the luck...again good or bad.

I meant that we'd be putting a Lesser Boost on Anex, which would cause bad karma (therefore cancelling out and using up any good karma we have).

EDIT:
Werebiscuit wrote:Regus is the group's commander and is likely about to be blown up, shot and then thumped by a cloth golem (PG02).

Actually, I don't think Regus has actually moved yet; since he only has combat of 5 and Whump's moving out in phase 6.

I think the only thing remaining to determine is stacking, so...
Everyone but Kilroy, Moe, and Zed 2 are in Regus's stack (since those three are the least likely to be needing his leadership bonus this round).
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:48 am

Nnelg wrote:I meant that we'd be putting a Lesser Boost on Anex, which would cause bad karma (therefore cancelling out and using up any good karma we have).
Ah got you now Chief. :D Yes I'm with the program on that one.

EDIT:
Nnelg wrote:
Werebiscuit wrote:Regus is the group's commander and is likely about to be blown up, shot and then thumped by a cloth golem (PG02).
).Actually, I don't think Regus has actually moved yet; since he only has combat of 5 and Whump's moving out in phase 6.

Nor has Anex moved as her orders are taken with a view that she waits till Regus has moved... but both of them have given detailed orders to move and Regus's order puts him in an extremely vulnerable position. Note the enemy ALSO move on phase 5 along with Regus so we can't stop them attacking him.
Nnelg wrote:I think the only thing remaining to determine is stacking, so...
Everyone but Kilroy, Moe, and Zed 2 are in Regus's stack (since those three are the least likely to be needing his leadership bonus this round).

If Zed-2 is moving to protect Regus like I asked he will need every point he can muster...and that includes Regus's leadership boost to Com & Def. Since Zed -2 could be attacked by PG02
{EDIT} BTW it is tigerusthegreat that determines his stack, though there's nothing to stop you suggesting the above stacking to him
Last edited by Werebiscuit on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Werebiscuit

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:11 am

For reference Anex plans to delay her fire actions until the marbit crossbows have taken an action and indeed into next round. So she will still be dodging if they fire at her ( or Whump or Regus).

At the Start of round 2 she will declare Mighty Blow ( which will probably only affect her second shot -the one on phase 10 that's not delayed) and fire on phases 11 & 10 :o with a com of 11 on phase 11 (assuming Regus made it through the 1st round) & 14 on phase 10. I'm not sure how that affects the luck boost, whether she get's it for both shots or not but I'm assuming from Marbit's description that she'll get 2 chances for it to affect her if the first one doesn't use it up.
Werebiscuit

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games