Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Nnelg wrote:Fair enough. So then, it will be possible to take the enemy by surprise? What would we need to do in order to accomplish this? (Since we have no idea how far out from the walls the enemy can even see...)
Sort of. Note that, because of the Battlespace, units are always aware that an 'encounter' will occur that turn. Units in a city will be aware that *something* is coming, so they will always be on high alert when your units enter the city.

If they have no advanced information about an army at all, they'll at least have a unit or two watching in each direction. The moment something unusual occurs, the entire side becomes aware of it.

Based on the plan of attack your side commits to, you may or may not be able to get past the walls without serious resistance. That can be adjudicated without a map. Once the bulk of the forces on both sides collide, we switch to map mode.

Nnelg wrote:Actually, I'm not planning on doing anything that wouldn't be possible in a game similar to one from the Total War series.
Having never played Total War, I'll have to take your word for it, but that changes nothing. For reference, the game I usually envision when thinking about an Erf-like setting is Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.

Nnelg wrote:Ok then. What's the price of one of those? (My idea is to sneak someone in close to an unguarded wall segment, to create a small breach which would give our side an advantage. I guess we could just sneak in Coil himself, but I'd prefer using a more expendable unit.)
Typical scroll costs are 1000 shumckers / level required to make the scroll, with more rare & useful scrolls costing more. Tri-caster scrolls are negotiated prices, and are exceedingly rare. Players will not be able to create scrolls themselves, ever. (The reason for this is because I do not wish casters to blur into each other, and if players could make scrolls, healers would stock up on shockamancy and croakmancers would have healing standing by, etc.)
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby Nnelg » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:56 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Based on the plan of attack your side commits to, you may or may not be able to get past the walls without serious resistance. That can be adjudicated without a map. Once the bulk of the forces on both sides collide, we switch to map mode.

So then, does that mean no chance of an attack from multiple directions?

MarbitChow wrote:For reference, the game I usually envision when thinking about an Erf-like setting is Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.

You know, I was considering referencing AoW:SM instead of Total War... :lol:
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
User avatar
Nnelg
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 pm
Location: Internets the World of Webs

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:10 pm

Nnelg wrote:So then, does that mean no chance of an attack from multiple directions?
You can do that, but remember that it typically means you have to enter from different hexes, and only one set of your forces will thus encounter the bulk of the enemy forces in a given scenario. Splitting your forces like that is usually not a good move unless you overwhelmingly outnumber the enemy. I'll still end up running only 1 scenario, but most of your forces won't be in it initially. Assume at least 10-20 rounds (rounds are not that long) for units to cross a city, and most encounters to date have been resolved in less than 6.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby Nnelg » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:22 pm

Well, if we timed it right could we try and make it so that a flanking force made of fast units would arrive in the enemy's rear at the main fight?

(As in, we'd deliberately start the flankers early and/or take it slow on the main attack.)
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
User avatar
Nnelg
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 pm
Location: Internets the World of Webs

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby 0beron » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:27 pm

A few notes.
One, I think it can be easily assumed Logan's Run has been upgraded to at least a 2 given that it is close to the action. However if it were still somehow a Level 1, we could just walk right in because there are no Walls.
Two, I believe somebody said Bill should be Chief Caster, but I don't recall if that was just a recommendation or a final decision.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby ETheBoyce » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:35 pm

(OOC: Total War isn't a game like Erfworld though, Erfworld is based on turn-based strategy games that have turn-based battles like Age of Wonders

As for scrolls it would have to be a Caster no matter what, and it will take at least 5 actions to destroy a level 1 wall as it has 50 SP and Hoboken deals 12 damage max, even a City Gate will take a minimum of 3 Hobokens to destroy as it has 30 SP. However a simpler Strat would be to have Coil, Yuri, Rolf, Tod, and Nemo on Mounts in the hex Invisible, wait until we have readied actions then knock that sucker down! Though that's at least another level off as Crypsis requires level 3 <_<)

IC: At some point soon after the repulsion of the Elven counterattack T. Coil will approach Chief Diplomat Yuri, "Yuri, as you know the Elves are currently attempting to create a temporary peace with Ix so as to bring their full power against us and currently Ix is considering accepting that peace, I wish to convince them that such a deal is not at all in their interest. I would like to use one of the available Thinkagrams to make such a case."
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:42 pm

ETheBoyce wrote:However a simpler Strat would be to have Coil, Yuri, Rolf, Tod, and Nemo on Mounts in the hex Invisible, wait until we have readied actions then knock that sucker down!
Seeing as how most units cannot inflict Structure damage, Tod will only be able to boost Coil's Combat, and Nemo is there for Crypsis, but what will Yuri and Rolf be doing?
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby ETheBoyce » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Mining Picks?
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby 0beron » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:07 pm

Wait what? Did I just read you say Level 1 walls...?
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Think barricades or pallisades, not true walls. Enough to keep people out, but not for very long. Yeah, this is another area that we're diverging from the Comic. :D
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby 0beron » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:10 pm

-_-
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby Nnelg » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:38 pm

ETheBoyce wrote:(OOC: Total War isn't a game like Erfworld though, Erfworld is based on turn-based strategy games that have turn-based battles like Age of Wonders

Well, AoW also lets you come at a city from multiple directions, so there's not much difference here.


ETheBoyce wrote:However a simpler Strat would be to have Coil, Yuri, Rolf, Tod, and Nemo on Mounts in the hex Invisible, wait until we have readied actions then knock that sucker down!"

Actually, I was just about to suggest something similar (most of my thought experiments so far have been overcomplex).


However, now that I've had a bit more time to ponder the situation, I've realized that Marbit's right about it being hard to take the enemy by surprise. If there is only one gate, you can bet it will be guarded. And we don't have the firepower to break through walls in short order... Our sole advantage is the fact that the enemy does not yet know we have Foolamancy.

But neither does Nemo have enough Juice (yet) to veil enough forces to take the gate... Perhaps, we can try diversionary tactics instead?


Marbit, is there any chance of getting Ladders in for this one? They're the only way I can think of to surmount those walls that would be fast enough... Tearing them down would take too long (unless I'm misinterpreting the structure rules, and level 1 walls only have 25 SP) and Assault Towers are too slow.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
User avatar
Nnelg
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 pm
Location: Internets the World of Webs

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:46 pm

I will have to think about ladders a bit. They would be structures, and would probably need several units to use properly.

But you are aware that your side can pop flying mounts, right? That seems easier than the ladder method...
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby Nnelg » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:00 am

Not for the entire army. :|

This version of the plan involves a small, invisible strike team first clearing a section of wall (they would be the ones to use flying mounts/transports). Then they hold it until we can get the ladders up, and everyone starts pouring in. There may or may not be a diversion at the gate as well.

And I'm assuming that ladders are more equipment than structures (at least when they're being carried); their advantage being that they are quicker to deploy (as in, faster move). I'd imagine that a Squad equipped with a ladder would have to stick to a 2x4 formation. Maybe their move would be limited to the number of Units helping to move the Ladder (so, a full stack has 8 move, and a half stack 4, et cetera). Or something like that, since if it isn't faster than an Assault Tower then it's not what we need.


Overall though, I'm wondering if we might just have to stick to conventional siege tactics for this one. We just don't have the stuff we need to pull off something fancier yet.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
User avatar
Nnelg
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 pm
Location: Internets the World of Webs

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby WhirdCheese » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:23 am

"Dollamancer. I hear you make cloaks. Could me and the other new caster stop gambleing with our lives so much and get some that nullify fire actions?"

Basically I'm asking Vinny to make cloaks for Nemo and I
WhirdCheese
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby Nnelg » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:41 am

Meh, I suppose that's not a bad idea. :P It's not as big a problem for me because Melissa will catch arrows for Nemo, but a cloak wouldn't hurt.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
User avatar
Nnelg
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 pm
Location: Internets the World of Webs

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby WhirdCheese » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:56 am

I'm not certain if I get a mount. And if I don't get a mount the only way I survive a zed archer is if they roll a two.
WhirdCheese
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby Nnelg » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:02 am

There are plenty of other ways to guard against archery... :P
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
User avatar
Nnelg
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 pm
Location: Internets the World of Webs

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby Nnelg » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:12 am

You know, I've counted and including Melissa I've noticed we've got exactly 7 Naughty Kitties. With riders that makes 14 units, then adding in the Heck Pups gives an even 2 Squads of Heavy Cavalry.

Since the new rules for Fire don't allow for picking out single units (provided they stay adjacent to other units in their stack), we don't really need the Naughty Kitties for the Leadership corps anymore. May I suggest we pop some dedicated lancers? (And yes, we should use Spearmen for the riders... We don't need the higher defence or hits of Warriors, while the extra reach of the spears is always nice.)


In fact, there's a whole bunch of logistics that needs to be done. Reginald should take the Regent skill, obviously. Both he and the Garrison Archers need their stats updated as well (I won't presume to be experienced enough to do it myself). Reading back on the thread, it looks like some of this was already ordered, just not reflected on the reference thread.

Sto arrives in Dis City on Turn 12. The first few Turns he's there, we'll probably want to pop a "Breeding Population" to make sure we don't run out... Marbit, would it be possible to pop garrison gobwins?
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
User avatar
Nnelg
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 pm
Location: Internets the World of Webs

Re: Darkness Rising v2.0 - 'Tenebris Unleashed' Campaign

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:50 am

Nnelg wrote:Marbit, would it be possible to pop garrison gobwins?
Yes. King Creperum has popped a Garrison gobwin to act as Tribe Leader for Tenebris proper, as well as a couple stacks of garrison sappers to start mining.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
User avatar
MarbitChow
 
Posts: 2509
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest