Equilateratoria

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Equilateratoria

Postby MarbitChow » Thu May 09, 2013 6:48 pm

If a player spends all actions gathering resources, and can repeat those actions, those actions will become their default for the next turn.
Once I start declaring time limits for turns (typically 2-3 days), any players that have not yet responded and have a default action will take those actions.

I've listed the actions below, plus what you expect to get out of them. Let me know if any corrections are required.

Actions for the next turn:
WhirdCheese (George) : Gather food (3 actions), (free) eat
    expected gain 6 food, 1 banked action (since granary is expected this turn, no food should spoil; all construction will already be complete, so banking action)
0beron (Arthemy) : will spend 3 actions going South, and with his last action Calm a pig. Then Forage.
    expected gain 1 calm pig
LTDave (Eric) : will free eat, spend one turn gathering wood, and then move SOUTH into the pig-triangle.
    expected gain 1 wood
ETheBoyce (Texas) : will man up hardcore style and spend all 4 of his actions attacking the Skele-man, any leftover actions will be spent Gathering Food
    expected gain skele-man corpse + X food ??
Werebiscuit (Hyde) : Gather stone (4 actions), (free) forage/eat
    expected gain 2.67 stone
Swodaems (Dod) : will use one of his actions mining stone, then (waiting until all stone has been gathered for the turn), use his remaining actions and the mason's workshop to build a granary in the upper right corner.
    expected gain .67 stone + granary
Cnor (Katara) : will "go with the plan."
    expected gain - nothing
turbler (Jordan) : Pending [Default: Gather wood (4 actions), (free) eat]
    expected gain 4 wood

Does anyone want to suggest a course of action for Katara?

(edit: Confirmed George's and Hyde's actions.)
Last edited by MarbitChow on Fri May 10, 2013 10:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby WhirdCheese » Thu May 09, 2013 10:01 pm

George only gathers as much food as the number of people in triangle. Other than that he helps building if he has actions.
WhirdCheese

Postby 0beron » Thu May 09, 2013 10:03 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Does anyone want to suggest a course of action for Katara?

It seems that not many people are gathering Wood on this coming turn, so that might be a good idea. That or also move South to Calm another Pig like me.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri May 10, 2013 4:12 am

Swodaems wrote:Werebiscuit, I'm assuming you'll be spending your actions mining again, so I'll get to work on building the granary.

Dod will use one of his actions mining stone, then (waiting until all stone has been gathered for the turn), use his remaining actions and the mason's workshop to build a granary in the upper right corner.

We should decide what to build after the granary. Any one of the 3 training structures (Shrine, target range, training dummy) would be relatively inexpensive. A road would be useful, but would require a lot of resource gathering effort. (If we do decide on a road, I think we should mine all the stone here, but gather the 10 wood required from the trees in the zone to the south. That way, we only need to transport 2 stone across the border to build the road.)

I'm quite prepared to have Hyde keep up production of stone to try to build an excess. I'm thinking that we reserve one corner of the original zone for a quarry and when either of us gets stonecaller we call nodes into the outer column or row so we can build a quarry in the inner 4 squares. This means we can surround the quarry (apart from 1 square) with stone nodes

Hyde will use all 4 of his actions to gather (communal) stone. If claiming food does not require an action Hyde will claim 2 pieces

I appreciate the spirit of all the food being declared communal but it will spoil unless it's held so it may be an idea for us to 'claim' as much of the excess as we can. It can be declared communal as needed without requiring an action. Between us we have a 'virtual granary'.

As for structures Swodaems it makes sense to build the smallest (in Stone requirements) first as Stone will be our bottleneck. You don't have to use up many build actions and can use free'd up actions to supplement my stone gathering. If we don't want them all to be in the original zone then people going south can transport resources as they go by claiming resources then delcaring them communal in the next zone

N.B. Texas's current zone is a good place for a watchtower !
Werebiscuit

Postby LTDave » Fri May 10, 2013 5:36 am

The wood source in the original angle is almost depleted. I think Katara should head south with Eric to expand our influence.

Ought we be carrying resources across the border as we go?
LTDave

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri May 10, 2013 6:41 am

LTDave wrote:Ought we be carrying resources across the border as we go?

yes but not stone ;) ....well not just yet..maybe later when we've an excess.
Werebiscuit

Postby LTDave » Fri May 10, 2013 6:57 am

Eric and Kat will both eat for free, spend one action gathering wood, pick up two wood each, and then move south.
LTDave

Postby MarbitChow » Fri May 10, 2013 7:29 am

Werebiscuit wrote:Hyde will use all 4 of his actions to gather (communal) stone. If claiming food does not require an action Hyde will claim 2 pieces

I appreciate the spirit of all the food being declared communal but it will spoil unless it's held so it may be an idea for us to 'claim' as much of the excess as we can. It can be declared communal as needed without requiring an action. Between us we have a 'virtual granary'.
Food spoils at the end of the turn after it was picked, unless it's in a granary. It doesn't matter whether it is being held or not, and it doesn't matter whether it's claimed or communal.

Also, 'claimed' status only applies to resources you just gathered. Once resources are communal, they're always communal.

(Claimed vs. communal is primarily a mechanism to limit griefing - someone eating the food you just picked for yourself, for example. Being able to claim communal resources would allow a player to claim all stone & wood and completely halt production. Griefing is allowed, but the easiest way should be through combat, not game mechanics.)

LTDave wrote:Eric and Kat will both eat for free, spend one action gathering wood, pick up two wood each, and then move south.
Note that since Kat is not a Forester, she's only gather .5 wood. It may make more sense for Kat to bank the action this turn, and have 5 actions available in the next round.

Orders (in previous post) have been updated up to this point. Once I have Kat's final orders, I'll process the turn.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby LTDave » Fri May 10, 2013 8:25 am

Good point. Kat will bank that action, eat, and move south.
LTDave

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri May 10, 2013 9:18 am

MarbitChow wrote:Food spoils at the end of the turn after it was picked, unless it's in a granary. It doesn't matter whether it is being held or not, and it doesn't matter whether it's claimed or communal.

Also, 'claimed' status only applies to resources you just gathered. Once resources are communal, they're always communal.

MarbitChow wrote:Basic Rules
Each turn, players declare their actions. All players start with 4 actions, and may gain more from structures and skills. All players automatically get a free Eat action at the end of each turn as well, if any food is available. Note that if the player is fully healed and has spent a regular action to eat this turn, this free eat action is lost (and players with Forage thus cannot try to find food). Note: The basic Food Resource decays at the end of the turn unless held or placed into storage. Other items that count as food (such as meals and brews) may last longer.

I was basing my supposition on the coloured statement. That may well have changed ...or need to be changed to reflect the desired situation.

if it's to do with griefing then simply making the rule that only 2 items can be held and that communal items remain communal should be enough to stop griefing that way. Allowing players to pick their own food and save it indefinitely via holding isn't going to be a game-changer as it limits them from using other items while doing so.
Werebiscuit

Postby MarbitChow » Fri May 10, 2013 9:30 am

Werebiscuit wrote:The basic Food Resource decays at the end of the turn unless held or placed into storage. I was basing my supposition on the coloured statement. That may well have changed ...or need to be changed to reflect the desired situation.
Brain fart on my part. That should have said "held in a container". I'll update the front page.
MarbitChow

Postby Swodaems » Fri May 10, 2013 9:53 am

MarbitChow wrote:Swodaems (Dod) : will use one of his actions mining stone, then (waiting until all stone has been gathered for the turn), use his remaining actions and the mason's workshop to build a granary in the upper right corner.
    expected gain .33 stone + granary

Since Dod is a miner, shouldn't the expected gain from his actions be .67 stone + granary?

LTDave wrote:Eric and Kat will both eat for free, spend one action gathering wood, pick up two wood each, and then move south.

Actually, could you please leave all the wood you've gathered where it is? Or to be more exact, please leave at least 5 pieces behind. (We have 9 already and the granary will take 4, so 5 pieces amounts to everything you don't gather this turn.) I would like to use these 5 pieces to build a shrine, a target range, and a training dummy for the characters that can use them.

MarbitChow wrote:Does anyone want to suggest a course of action for Katara?
I would like her to spend at least one action helping out with mining. (Should leave us with a stone that is 2/3s gathered at the end of this turn.) If she does, then we can gather 4 stone on the turn after this if Hyde uses his 4 actions to mine and Dod uses 1. This will give us the 4 stone required for Dod to build a shrine, a target range, and a training dummy during that same turn.

After the training structures are done, (at end of turn 4), I think it is time to work on building a road. For effiency's sake, we should limit the amount of resources carried between zones and gather the 15 stone here and gather the 10 wood in the zone to the south. If they use all their actions mining, Dod and Hyde can gather 5 & 1/3 stone per turn, so the two of them could gather the stone required by the end of turn 7. Dod can use his turn 8 actions and the mason's workshop to do 12/13 of the actions required for this side on turn 8. On turn 9, he can do the last action for this side and carry 2 stone across the border. (Or someone else can do this on turn 8.) Depending on the amount of help Dod has on the other side, he may be able to complete the road on turn 10. (With more help, we could get it done sooner.)

As you can see, building the road will require a huge investment in time and effort. While the actions saved by road itself may not pay back this investment, building the road will give us a lot of mining and building experience. Hopefully, we'll get enough of both over the course of the project that we'll gain the ability to create stone nodes where we need them and the ability to create higher level structures.

Also, if he can do it freely, Dod will place the food on the ground in the granary.
Swodaems

Postby MarbitChow » Fri May 10, 2013 10:21 am

Swodaems wrote:Since Dod is a miner, shouldn't the expected gain from his actions be .67 stone + granary?
Yup. Fixed.
MarbitChow

Postby MarbitChow » Fri May 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Just waiting for Kat's orders at this point. There are two different suggestions for her actions.
MarbitChow

Postby LTDave » Fri May 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Cool cool.

I agree - Kat to eat free, one action mining, then move south. Carry no wood.

Eric to eat free, spend one action gathering wood, then move south. Carry no wood.
LTDave

Postby MarbitChow » Fri May 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Triangle Man, Triangle Man
Triangle Man hates Person Man
They have a fight, Triangle wins
Triangle Man

Some important new rules notes:

1) Characters are incapacitated when they reach 0. They die when they reach -9 Hits.
2) You can force-feed incapacitated characters to heal them. Force-feeding only restores 1 Hit per food to an incapacitated character, though. (Brews restore their full amount, since it's easier to administer.)
3) You can spend an action to feed another character even if they are not incapacitated.
4) Incapacitated characters do not gain any actions during the turn they are revived, including any free actions and foraging.
5) Characters who are not fed will lose 3 hits at the end of the turn. (This is important once healing becomes available - you may want to force-feed an incapacitated character on the turn you revive them to prevent hit loss.)

(Note: I'll be creating another thread to accumulate rules, unlocked skills / structures / items, etc. for reference eventually, but with only 5 pages I assume it's currently pretty easy to find stuff still.)

Map:

Turn Actions:
Spoiler: show
ETheBoyce vs. ??? : Initiative!
ETheBoyce: 5 <- Wins
???: 1

WhirdCheese (George) : Gather food (3 actions), bank 1 action, (free) eat
0beron (Arthemy) : Move south (3 actions), Calm a pig, (free) forage/eat
LTDave (Eric) : (free) eat, Gather wood (1 action), Move south (3 actions)
ETheBoyce (Texas) : Attack '???' (1-4 Action), Gathering food (0-3 actions), (free) forage/eat
Werebiscuit (Hyde) : Gather stone (4 actions), (free) forage/eat
Swodaems (Dod) : Gather stone (1 action), uses Mason's Workshop (+2 build actions), builds Granary (5 actions), (free) eat
Cnor (Katara) : (free) eat, Gather stone (1 action), Move south (3 actions)
turbler (Jordan) : Gather wood (4 actions), (free) eat

Results:
(Quick note on combat: You don't see the enemy's level / skills unless you use the 2nd Level Hunter skill "Evaluate Enemy".

Combat
Texas: Off 7 vs. ???: Def 19 (1 action)
Texas MISSES! Texas feels like he's getting better at being a Warrior (1 combat action)
???'s Bone Armor absorbs the blow

???: Off 14 vs. Texas: Def 7 (1 action)
??? hits! Texas loses 4 hits. (6 of 10 Hits)

Texas: Off 7 vs. ???: Def 18 (1 action)
Texas MISSES! Texas feels like he's getting better at being a Warrior (2 combat actions)
???'s Bone Leggings absorbs the blow

??? hits! Texas loses 1 hit. (5 of 10 Hits)

Texas: Off 7 vs. ???: Def 17 (1 action)
Texas hits! ??? loses 1 hit. (9 of 10 Hits) Texas feels like he's getting better at being a Warrior (3 combat actions)
???'s Bone Helm absorbs the blow

??? hits! Texas loses 3 hits. (2 of 10 Hits)

Texas: Off 7 vs. ???: Def 16 (1 action)
Texas MISSES! Texas feels like he's getting better at being a Warrior (4 combat actions)
???'s Bone Armor absorbs the blow

??? hits! Texas loses 2 hits. Texas collapses! (0 of 10 Hits)

Non-Combat
WhirdCheese (George) : George gains 6 Food. George feels like he's getting better at being a Farmer (10 food-gathering actions**)
0beron (Arthemy) : Forage Succeeds! Arthemy calms a Pig. Arthemy feels like he's getting a bit better at being a Mystic (0.5 creature calming actions**) (Arthemy suspects he'd learm more if he tried to calm an agitated creature.)
LTDave (Eric) : Eric gains 1 wood. Eric feels like he's getting better at being a Forester (4 wood-gathering actions**)
ETheBoyce (Texas) : Unable to forage or eat. Texas loses 3 Hits. (-3 of 10) Texas will die if he reaches -9 hits.
Werebiscuit (Hyde) : Forage Fails! Hyde gains 2.67 stone. Hyde feels like he's getting better at being a Miner (11 stone-gathering actions**)
Swodaems (Dod) : Dod gains 0.67 stone, consumes 6 stone, 4 wood towards Granary. Dod feels like he's getting better at being a Stonemason (7 build actions**)
Cnor (Katara): Katara gains 0.33 stone,
turbler (Jordan) : Jordan gains 4 wood Jordan feels like he's getting better at being a Forester (12 wood-gathering actions**). DING! He has!

Jordan gains Forester Level 2.

Jordan gains Craft Wood Items/Weapons : Every action spent crafting wood items/weapons counts as 2 actions for this player

Jordan unlocks Carpentry Workshop Structure - Grants 2 free Craft Wood Items/Weapons actions
    2x2, 5 Stone, 5 Wood, 1 User
Jordan unlocks Wooden Spear (weapon) : +3 Offense
    1 Wood, 2 actions
Jordan unlocks Wooden Staff (weapon) : +3 Offense
    1 Wood, 2 actions
Jordan unlocks Wooden Shield (item) : +4 Defense
    1 Wood, 2 actions
Jordan unlocks Cart (item) : Requires 2 hands. Can hold any combination of 6 resources.
    3 Wood, 6 actions, NOT SAFE FOR FOOD

1 Mushroom is Entirely Consumed!

Communal Resources
Wood : 9 (existing) + 5 (new) - 4 (build) = 10 remaining
Stone : 3 (existing) + 3 (new) - 6 (build) = 0.67 remaining
Food : 8 (existing) + 6 (new) - 6 (eaten) = 8 remaining (in granary)

Arthemy, Eric, Katara move South

** - I've decided to change the "xp" tracking system (so that players can audit it and correct mistakes). Players typically need to spend 12 actions for non-martial skill trees to gain the 2nd level. Free actions (granted from structures, for example) do not count towards this total.
Some actions may count as more or less than a single action.

Players
WhirdCheese : "George" the Leatherworker / Farmer [Craft Leather, Gather Food] Offense 5 / Defense 5 / Hits 10 of 10
0beron : "Arthemy" the Mystic / Scout [Calm, Forage] Offense 5 / Defense 5 / Hits 10 of 10
LTDave : "Eric" the Hunter / Forester [+1 Off/+1 Def, Gather Wood] Offense 6 / Defense 6 / Hits 10 of 10
ETheBoyce : "Texas" the Warrior / Scout [+2 Off/+2 Def, Forage] Offense 7 / Defense 7 / Hits -3 of 10
Werebiscuit : "Hyde Goseek" the Scout/Miner [Forage, Gather Stone Block] Offense 5 / Defense 5 / Hits 10 of 10
Swodaems : "Dod" the Miner / Stonemason [Gather Stone Block, Fast Construction (simple)] Offense 5 / Defense 5 / Hits 10 of 10
Cnor: "Katara" the Mystic / Hunter [Calm, +1 Off/+1 Def] Offense 6 / Defense 6 / Hits 10 of 10
turbler: "Jordan" the Leatherworker/Forester 2 [Craft Leather, Gather Wood, NEW Craft Wood Items/Weapons] Offense 5 / Defense 5 / Hits 10 of 10

Zones:

As always, let me know if any corrections are required.

(Bag icon originated from http://www.unlok.ca/wayward/, which I recommend checking out.)

(Edit: grammar correction. :) )
Last edited by MarbitChow on Sat May 11, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarbitChow

Postby ETheBoyce » Fri May 10, 2013 7:29 pm

So what you're saying is...Green Warrior needs food badly!
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Sat May 11, 2013 12:25 pm

Oh so we get teleported back to the Stone once we hit 0?

Arthemy will continue moving onward, into the bone-thingy's zone. Immediately upon arriving, he will Calm it. If it is not there anymore, he will Calm a pig instead.Then Forage.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Sat May 11, 2013 12:47 pm

0beron wrote:Oh so we get teleported back to the Stone once we hit 0?
Yeah, I'm going to have to ret-con the intro paragraphs. The Summoning Stone doesn't recreate you when you die. It summons you home when you become incapacitated. -9 Hits is perma-death. (The down-sides of making up the game as you go along... I've got most of it in my head, but as nebulous concepts that don't become formalized until they impact the game or Swodaems forces my hand. :D Now that the combat rules have become formalized, I'm in the process of reworking some of the upper-level martial skill sets, since they don't make much sense any more.)
MarbitChow

Postby ETheBoyce » Sat May 11, 2013 12:52 pm

My suicidal tendencies are helping!
ETheBoyce
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games