Commanders - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Commander - Sign Ups [CLOSED] and Discussion

Postby Acorntail » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:37 am

Please stand by guys; I made the stupid mistake of describing the world narratively before creating a map to go along with it, so now I'm quickly making one in Hexographer. I have Manly's post all ready minus the map, if you'd like me to post it early.
Perpetually locked in a Mathamancy/Turnamancy link.
Acorntail

Postby Acorntail » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:41 am

Isn't it just a teensy bit funny how the two casters are doing the strategy stuff? XD

Also, a clarification on how city setup will work. It differs just a pinch from the comics to allow for different tactics. There are outer zones and garrison zones. The outer zones consist of Tunnels, Outer Walls and Airspace. The garrison zones are the Dungeon, the Courtyard (Which also includes the inner walls) and the Tower.

Controlling the Garrison means you own the city. Controlling only the outer zones means you are laying siege to the city. Laying siege prevents that city from access to the side's treasury, and that city must survive off its own income. This will eventually reduce the amount of units to one the city can support on its own.

Laying siege to a city also allows you to construct siege equipment on the field if you have diggers, a warlord, a caster with an appropriate spell or the like. Siege Towers allow infantry to scale walls that are occupied, as do ladders. Siege Towers and Siege Tents screen diggers so they can attack the walls. Catapults and Ballistas let you attack the walls from afar, as well as lay pot shots into the courtyard and tower. Some casters can let you aim more accurately, such as taking out individual units.

Units with siege can attack walls, but they can also burrow into tunnel zones. Burrowing from the outer walls will land you in the tunnels, whilst burrowing from the inner walls will land you in the dungeon. There is no need to burrow in the tower zone, as it has stairs, but doing so will land you in the dungeon as well. You can enter any zone from the Airspace except for the tunnel and dungeon zones.

In the case of Lore, their dungeon zone acts as their primary garrison location, and is where their city buildings are found. Whilst all zones in a garrison must be held to capture the city, controlling the primary garrison location will deny the defending side that city's income and production should they repulse your forces long enough to last another turn. Knowitall's primary garrison location is the courtyard.
Acorntail

Postby 0beron » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:52 am

Acorntail wrote:Isn't it just a teensy bit funny how the two casters are doing the strategy stuff?

Hehe yeah, I think it's partly due to when people happen to be online. Though to be fair, we are both caster types who need a good tactical mind in order to perform best, and we're discussing long-term strategy. When it comes to hands-on battle though, I know I for one plan to take a big step back.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:04 am

Well, as long as I'm leading uncroaked, I'm as good as a warlord :-P
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby understandslittle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:39 pm

Basically I feel confident that three stacks of ranged units will keep me safe long enough for you to get through the tunnels. The tunnels will be better guarded, and as long as I don't try to take the inner walls I'll be safe.
understandslittle

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:51 pm

I doubt the tunnels will be very guarded. The tower force will see more fighting than the tunnel in all likelihood because the tower force will reach the courtyard first. Plus the majority of our forces will be coming through the tunnel since any opposition should be ended swiftly
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Postby understandslittle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Um... My plan is just to sit tight in the tower and fight what comes to me. Not charge into the courtyard. Tank is not suicidal.
understandslittle

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:15 pm

You have to take the courtyard as soon as possible so any Units on the outer walls are forced into the bottleneck of the Inner Walls and keep them from pouring into the Tunnels. The Flying force should instantly take the Tower while the Tunnel force will take more time getting to the dungeon due to any traps or troops that might be in the tunnels.

If the Flying force does not take the courtyard, all the forces can just pile into the Dungeon like in the King's story. The Flying force has to take the courtyard--or at least contest it--as soon as possible if we're going to go with this plan, which I believe is the best one. That's why I said most of the leadership should go through the air.
Sir Shadow

Postby Acorntail » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:20 pm

Sir Shadow wrote:You have to take the courtyard as soon as possible so any Units on the outer walls are forced into the bottleneck of the Inner Walls and keep them from pouring into the Tunnels. The Flying force should instantly take the Tower while the Tunnel force will take more time getting to the dungeon due to any traps or troops that might be in the tunnels.

If the Flying force does not take the courtyard, all the forces can just pile into the Dungeon like in the King's story. The Flying force has to take the courtyard--or at least contest it--as soon as possible if we're going to go with this plan, which I believe is the best one. That's why I said most of the leadership should go through the air.

I think the confusion you're having arises from how combat works when forces are unled. Units with no commander in their hex cannot move between zones. Even if there were a thousand soldiers on the outer walls, you could take the garrison by air and not have to worry about them (Unless they were ranged, of course, which most wall units are). So long as the city you pick does not have a commander unit in it, warlord, caster or special unit with leadership, you do not have to worry about units moving between zones.

In Manly's story, there were command units in the hex; there was a warlord in Fourshadow when he attacked it, and Lore's ruler and casters in Lore, thus the units were capable of moving from zones and make it more difficult for Manly.
Acorntail

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:23 pm

That's only IF-- and a big 'if'-- there are no command units in the city. We figure there is at least one caster out there, and it makes sense that Lore could have him/her in the city closest to Knowitall where they could have expected combat.

Not to mention, there could very well just be a Warlord in the city.

Pardon me, but I like to err on the side of caution. :P
Sir Shadow

Postby Acorntail » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Sir Shadow wrote:That's only IF-- and a big 'if'-- there are no command units in the city. We figure there is at least one caster out there, and it makes sense that Lore could have him/her in the city closest to Knowitall where they could have expected combat.

Not to mention, there could very well just be a Warlord in the city.

Okay, you guys really ought to be putting this stuff in the actual play thread so I can respond as Manly; we're starting to get into the area where I need to reveal story details but can't. All of this is valid; you're level 1 warlords. You're allowed to ask about the combat system in character.

But, basically, you can do both. Just send a Craven in to check if there's leadership, then decide who's strategy you'll use.
Acorntail

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Can a Craven do that? What if the leadership isn't obviously visible? Then again, with Lookamancy power, an Archon would likely be better suited anyways.
Sir Shadow

Postby understandslittle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:37 pm

So my plan will work.
understandslittle

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Only if there is no leadership.
Sir Shadow

Postby Acorntail » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:39 pm

Sir Shadow wrote:Can a Craven do that? What if the leadership isn't obviously visible? Then again, with Lookamancy power, an Archon would likely be better suited anyways.

Hmm, true, an Archon would be better suited. Preceded by a Craven or two to set off any air defences, the Archon goes in, and attempts to identify leadership. Find any, Cicatrix's strategy. No leadership, Tank's.
Acorntail

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:45 pm

Acorntail wrote:
Sir Shadow wrote:Can a Craven do that? What if the leadership isn't obviously visible? Then again, with Lookamancy power, an Archon would likely be better suited anyways.

Hmm, true, an Archon would be better suited. Preceded by a Craven or two to set off any air defences, the Archon goes in, and attempts to identify leadership. Find any, Cicatrix's strategy. No leadership, Tank's.

Sounds sound. Though, with Lookamancy, the Archon probably wouldn't need to be in the hex, unless it's very limited Lookamancy? <_<?
Sir Shadow

Postby understandslittle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:49 pm

Okay then.
understandslittle

Postby Acorntail » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Sir Shadow wrote:Sounds sound. Though, with Lookamancy, the Archon probably wouldn't need to be in the hex, unless it's very limited Lookamancy? <_<?

Well, Archons don't have natural Lookamancy, they have natural Eyemancy, which is made up of Foolamancy, Lookamancy and Thinkamancy. Meaning, they have very limited abilities. They can Ping, Zoom Vision and Shimmer, with their abilities advancing as they level. At most, they'll get up to Thinkagram, X-Ray and Veil, or level 2 caster potential in each discipline. Their juice pool will keep expanding as they level, though.
Acorntail

Postby understandslittle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:04 pm

Tank calls those above him (Ruler, Chief Warlord) Sir. Otherwise it's Prince, Diplomat, Croak/Thinkamancer.

He may get better about this later, by you are no Sir :P
understandslittle

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:14 pm

Lol, I just immediately see Sir and think me due to my name :P Plus you weren't talking IC (with quotes) so I thought you were talking to me.
Sir Shadow

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games