Commanders

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Commander

Postby 0beron » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:20 pm

understandslittle wrote:"Ah, but if we can take the city of Foreshadow first we'll have additional income, and have a larger force for our assault on Plot."
"And we will have to eventually backtrack, delaying income at a later point. Whether or not we draw on units from our existing cities, it is still most efficient to strike Plot first, as my good comrade Metter points out. Better to begin at one end and proceed in a straight line from one city to the next."
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby understandslittle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:36 pm

"In what way is Plot closer than foreshadow? Plot is 17 hexes away, mostly of an unknown terrain type, and from there it's 14 hexes back to foreshadow, compared to 5 hexes of plains then 3 more hexes of more movement intensive terrain to Foreshadow, then 14 to Plot. Foreshadow is obviously closer, so unless we're going against my recommendation of leaving Garrisons in other cities alone I don't see the point in taking Plot. Farther away, and closer to one of our cities so it's likely to have a larger garrison."
understandslittle

Postby 0beron » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:22 pm

"Because we have to take all three cities, so if we don't go for Plot first, we have to backtrack one of those distances eventually!" I reiterate, a bit amazed that my peers were being so dense about this basic geometry.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:24 pm

"If we take Fourshadow first and manage to get a few levels, then we can split up as all of you seem so eager to do. One group can take Plot and the other take Twist. Then the two forces can meet up and finish off Diagetic while we figure out how to handle the Fifth."
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby 0beron » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:28 pm

I shrug in response to this. "It's a possibility. It would mean weakening our army, and separating some of our uncroaked from their master, thereby lessening their effectiveness. All in all it makes far more sense to take all 3 cities with the same army, but if our Warlords wish to split up, then yes the geometry issue would be solved."
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby GWvsJohn » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:30 pm

"I agree with Ogmah. Striking Plot first may delay us by a turn or two now. But we are dedicated to taking all 5 cities. Taking those extra turns now will allow us to swiftly run wild over the three closest cities, without having to split our forces. Good idea Thinkamancer, oh yeah!"
I know how it works. And I'm not that confident.
GWvsJohn

Postby LTDave » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:31 am

"It is of course entirely up to the King. But striking Plot, and then swinging around in a circle, keeping the army together, within reach of the capital, with good interior lines of communication is eminently sensible."

"I again urge the use of a small scouting and strike force to operate north and west of the capital, in the region of Degacity, and seraching for the fifth city. Bon!"
LTDave

Postby understandslittle » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:34 am

"I support the Diplomat's recommendation. Also, I know when to back down, so I will no longer argue against the four of you about striking Plot first.
understandslittle

Postby LTDave » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:23 am

"Ah! La Accord! Bon!"

"Of course, it is a matter of where our priorities lie - haste, or expediency. What I mean is this - If the great need is to take the cities now, at any cost, then we should split up. If the great need is to preserve our forces for future challenges, then we should stick together."

"I note that there is a farm hex, south east of here. I suggest we send a small force to claim it immediately. We will surely need the upkeep support."

"Do we have statistical knowledge for our other units? Move for the uncroaked, as well as the various Infantry units?"

[ooc: I looked, couldn't see it. Sorry if it is there somewhere]
LTDave

Postby Acorntail » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:03 am

Spoiler: show
Move for infantry defaults at 5, except for scouts, who have 20. Uncroaked units retain the same stats they had in life, but their hits stat decays as they do. I made the units with my unit creator program, so they operate under the Erfgame 2.0 rules.

Manly looked over his squabbling commanders. He had never seen more than a single level 1 warlord before; himself. He was popped into his father's court, brother of the future queen; a naive clean shaven boy who thought he knew everything. He saw a lot of himself in these five, most significantly in Macho. They were a disorganised troop, but they were surprisingly intuitive. The next few turns would prove their mettle, surely.

"Then its settled." He finally spoke. "Plot will be our first target. Three Archons will travel to Diagetic to ensure Noway takes no action. But I would not split the leadership, for one reason: levels. You are all too low, and you all need experience. Capturing Plot would level you nearly twice, and for that reason I am ordering you to stay together. Cravens will pop next turn, and Archons are due to pop in Knowitall and Copout in two turns time. Lore fell with a full treasury, but most of that was expended in rebuilding and hiring casters. That farm hex would be invaluable. Capture it if possible, then continue to plot. The journey should take three turns; meanwhile the cities will pop more units for the attack on Fourshadow. Capturing the city is essential; do not let them be razed or destroyed. The most decayed of the uncroaked will last three turns at least. If there is a delay, then you may need to think of something else. I will remain in Lore. Understood?"

A tightening of your muscles into attention tells you that was an order, not a question.
Perpetually locked in a Mathamancy/Turnamancy link.
Acorntail

Postby LTDave » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:49 am

"Bon. Let us go. Glory awaits!"
LTDave

Postby Sir Shadow » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:10 am

I was glad the King finally put his foot down concerning us splitting up. The path which we took was not of terrible importance to me at least. "It would seem all that's left to decide is how much of our force should stay here to defend the city."
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Postby GWvsJohn » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:38 am

Macho was relieved when Father settled the debate. Arguing about strategy was tiresome. It would be better when, well, if, he becomes Chief Warlord.

"We also need to decide what to do with the troops in Copout and Busybody. It appears these Lore cities are extremely well defended. I believe we should nearly empty all three cities. Leave the living Pikers and a few stacks of Archers here with Father. Leave a few stacks of Pikers or Stabbers and a few stacks of Archers in Copout and Busybody. We can reassign some troops from Knowitall to better defend the border and allow them to pop replacement defenders.

The terrain between here and Plot is largely unknown. If it consists of mostly Mountains or Forests, it will likely take us 5 or even 6 turns to arrive. Rax, will the uncroaked last that long? If not, it might be prudent to hit Fourshadow first. Use of current uncroaked while we can, and replenish from the enemy's losses."
GWvsJohn

Postby Acorntail » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:45 am

GWvsJohn wrote:The terrain between here and Plot is largely unknown. If it consists of mostly Mountains or Forests, it will likely take us 5 or even 6 turns to arrive. Rax, will the uncroaked last that long? If not, it might be prudent to hit Fourshadow first. Use of current uncroaked while we can, and replenish from the enemy's losses."[/b]

"Do not worry about that, son," Manly interjected. "The way is light forests and plains. We may not have scouted hexes, but the documents we recovered from Lore described this region as a box canyon, with mountains to the north, south, east and west but flat land within. One of the Archons could be sent to scout the way should you still be concerned."
Acorntail

Postby Sir Shadow » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:28 am

"The uncroaked I've seen in advance decay should last three to four turns. With some attention, I might be to squeeze a few more than that out of them."
Sir Shadow

Postby GWvsJohn » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:50 am

Sir Shadow wrote:"The uncroaked I've seen in advance decay should last three to four turns. With some attention, I might be to squeeze a few more than that out of them."

"Excellent. Then I say we do not delay and set out for Plot at once. We can use Peekers to scout until the Cravens pop."
GWvsJohn

Postby 0beron » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:53 am

Now that the general course of action was decided on, I saw no further need of my perspective in planning and decided now might be a good time to excuse myself. "Sir, if I may, I request permission to spend the remainder of the turn in the Magic Kingdom, for it would appear we have no need of my juice this turn and I would like to study some more offensive applications of magic. I could catch up with the army at dawn tomorrow if we leave a Dire Wulf behind for me." The question was directed to either Manly or Rax, whomever saw fit to decide.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Acorntail » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:06 am

0beron wrote:Now that the general course of action was decided on, I saw no further need of my perspective in planning and decided now might be a good time to excuse myself. "Sir, if I may, I request permission to spend the remainder of the turn in the Magic Kingdom, for it would appear we have no need of my juice this turn and I would like to study some more offensive applications of magic. I could catch up with the army at dawn tomorrow if we leave a Dire Wulf behind for me." The question was directed to either Manly or Rax, whomever saw fit to decide.

"Absolutely not." The Emperor growls. "I forbid you, or any caster for that matter, entry to that wretched place; we have no friends and too many enemies there now." His voice is controlled but intimidating. An order, and one fuelled by anger.
Acorntail

Postby 0beron » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:11 am

Acorntail wrote:"Absolutely not." The Emperor growls. "I forbid you, or any caster for that matter, entry to that wretched place; we have no friends and too many enemies there now." His voice is controlled but intimidating. An order, and one fueled by anger.
I look deeply troubled by this reaction...perhaps more so than I should, and shift my weight nervously from side to side. "Might I be so bold as to ask why you feel that way sire? You were able to hire casters to rebuild cities and pop us, so it can't be that everyone is hostile. Besides, Rax and I are new, so whatever quarrels the Barbarian Casters had with our predecessors shouldn't affect the way they view us."
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Sir Shadow » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:20 am

I had been thinking that entering the Magic Kingdom would be to risky, but hearing the king's outburst was startling. "That's a rather optimistic view, Omgah."
Sir Shadow

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games