Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby Grand Diplomat » Sat May 31, 2014 9:07 pm

Here are my thoughts on the stats according to the rules of my game. They're in the spoiler in the "Open to all" Topic.
Stabbers 5/5/3/5 30 upkeep
Archer 5/7/2/5/Ranged 40 upkeep
Scout 6/1/1/20/scout 30 upkeep
Knight 10/3/3/5/Rider, 14 points 100 upkeep
Findamancer 6/3/3/5/Findamancer 250 upkeep
Warlord 10/5/7/5/leadership, Rider, Noble 150 upkeep
Ogre 17/10/10/6/Heavy, Fabrication 120 upkeep

If it would be easier on you if I could use a different system.
The purse total is 4500 (thanks to math errors I was incorrect before).
Last edited by Grand Diplomat on Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Godzfirefly » Sat May 31, 2014 10:52 pm

0100010 wrote:Another miss.. Its a Findamancer not a Foolamancer. :)

At least that time it was a typo instead of a real mistake. :D
Godzfirefly

Postby Godzfirefly » Sat May 31, 2014 11:50 pm

Peter Falk was a Findamancer, and he enjoyed his work. Everything about Findamancy was amazing to him. He loved figuring things out for the Overlady, whether it be the answer to an argument among her subjects or the location of the nearest enemy scout. Findamancy gave him excellent distance determination, and he could use just a little bit of juice to find which enemy in a stack was most vulnerable and who to hit in order to best eliminate an enemy leader's screen. Plus, it gave him a natural sense of where things were in the hex around him, almost like a ruler or warlord has! And, it made him feel as special as a ruler too.

It was a good thing he had these skills, too, because he might not be alive now otherwise. On the trip across the ocean, he'd been the one guiding the ships around storms and through the reefs. In the jungle, it was him that had identified the mosquito swarms as the source of the recharge-preventing illness. And, if he hadn't been able to tell the stack of pikers he'd been grouped with which of the fruit brutes had been weakened by Duke Minsmeal's stabbers before they broke past him, they might not have been able to keep him alive long enough for Duke Minsmeal to make it back to save him. Though, that hadn't helped the pikers stay alive. Lastly, there might not have been as many survivors among the current group if he hadn't been able to use some of his remaining juice to find the scattered members of the expedition before the local wildlife got to them.

Peter was pretty disheveled most of the time in the shabby brown raincoat he wore over a rumpled suit and high topped shoes. Now, he was even more so as he sweat his way through the white shirt and had small rips and frays in the raincoat where it had caught on thorns or the claws of fruit brutes earlier in the day. Even so, his eyes darted about him as though he was distracted by every little sound like they always did, even though his fellow Columbites knew he was simply trying take note of everything. Every so often, he'd pull a pad of paper and a small pencil from one pocket and take notes about something in the same way he did when he was scouting the area for the Overlady.
Godzfirefly

Postby Grand Diplomat » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:56 am

Duke Minsmeal turns to his people and says, "Our mission has changed. We now need to rally any and all remaining Columbii together and reestablish the side. This mission will be difficult but if we work together we can accomplish any thing."
"Current objectives to the reaching of this goal are to:
-Maintaining current forces. We need to stretch our shmuckers has far has they'll go.
-Gathering of forces. Also if there are any other Ogres in Luglug's tribe he could call them to him.
-Locating a city
-Gaining that city by any means necessary"
"So I think when the Peter gets juice we need to start searching (in order of Importance) Rations, any other surviving Columbii, Enemy forces, City sites and possible allies."
I also require a reminder if a non-command unit ends up has a barbarian they can unstack from the command unit's stack without disbanding, right?
"Any thoughts?"
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Godzfirefly » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:10 am

Peter was patting down his raincoat and the pockets of his suit as the Duke was talking. Eventually, as the Warlord came to the end of his priority list, he seemed to find what he was looking for...a small scrap of paper with some scribbled mathamancy written on it. He reads it as the Duke finishes thoughts, then shoves it back into his pocket and responds to Minsmeal's question by saying, "Well, we know noone that came inland from the boat survived except us, since no one could leave this hex for the past two days and we did role call when we arrived. And, the units didn't have leadership when we left, so unless our overlady had shmuckers to spare for promoting a unit from the boat crew to Warlord, they are probably de-popped. I should be able to find out if any of them survived by doing Findamancy for former Columbii units outside of this hex, but I think it'd be a waste of juice since we can barely even get there anyway with the purse we have. I'm no warlord, but wouldn't it be better to look for some side that might be on this side of the water first. Maybe someone we could hire out to so we can pad our purses?"
Godzfirefly

Postby 0100010 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:20 am

Grand Diplomat wrote:I also require a reminder if a non-command unit ends up has a barbarian they can unstack from the command unit's stack without disbanding, right?
"Any thoughts?"

OOC: lets stat using OOC/IC tags for such now, just to keep things clear.
IF you want to find out if Luglug has more tribe members you should probably ask him.

From the Wiki:
Barbarian units fulfill the classic roles of wild or "rampaging" monsters, and mercenaries.

Barbarians must rely on mercenary work or hard labor (such as farming, mining or hunting) to pay their upkeep, or forage for provisions. Having no city to call home, a Barbarian Warlord has a purse in lieu of a treasury, and must take care to manage this small budget well to maintain any units under his command. Without a purse to store Shmuckers to pay for Rations, an unled Barbarian must hunt wildlife for provisions. It is said that Barbarian commanders pay the upkeep of any units in their stack at the start of their turn from their purse.

Barbarian commanders seem to have a cap in how many units they may personally keep. When Wanda became a barbarian, her field army of five hundred de-popped and she was left with only her personal stack of 9 units, counting herself.
----------------------------------------
In my interpretation:
All units capable of leading other units have a purse. Most of the time this purse is empty, but it can be filled or emptied at will by the ruler. The owner of a purse can transfer the funds within it to another purse, thereby creating a way of transferring funds between two sides if the command units of two different sides are in the same hex. The corpse of a command unit can be claimed by another command unit. doing so instantly removes shmuckers form the slain unit's purse and places them in the claimant's purse up to that purse's limit. (inventory items, which can include gems, can be looted also by any unit with sapience, but that is a different concept)

So yes, units can unstack and even run around and leave the hex, but, it is probably a good idea to be back in the stack before the next turn starts.

There is a discrpancy though, all the wiki info about provisions indicate that can reduce a fair portion of the upkeep but not all of the upkeep. Yet right there above, it says than unled barbarians must hunt and forage for provisions. But if provisions don't pay for all upkeep, then an unled barbarian might disband at the next turn anyway, despite finding provisions. This seems to make it really hard to be a barbarian, but that might also be the point. It also might be possible that a special ability for barbarians only, is the ability to pay 100% of upkeep via provisions, where units that are part of a side can only pay a portion of their upkeep with provision. This latter explaination makes much more sense for feral units, who maintains their upkeep only by foraging or hunting prey.

As for non feral, barbarians with sapience, warlords and even casters are describe as capable of popping in the wild, but it is very rare. Is it rare that the popping happens at all or rare that they manage pop somewhere they can gain shumuckers immediately to be able to pay their upkeep next turn? (Mines seem to be the only non-city schmuckrs source primarily via gems. Command units at least have the ability to convert gems into shmuckers, but all those unled barbs do not.
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Grand Diplomat » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:37 am

OK. Thank you.
The Duke turns to Peter and says, "How many Things can you find each day? Chief Luglug, do you know if there are any others left in your tribe? The reason for this is that if a hire ranking command unit is still out there it is my duty to bring all my forces to him or her. If you can find more than 3 or so then we should be alright. 1 to look for surviving Columbii command units out side of the current hex, 1 to find the nearest city and the third just in case. But those searches won't be necessary if there happens to be an Ogre already in opportune location."
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Godzfirefly » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:39 am

OOC: The discrepancy probably comes from how recently we learned about how food affects upkeep. We only learned about it in Digdoug Episode 21, less than two weeks ago. But, in that example, the people described were barbarian casters eating to reduce income, so I doubt that the comic intends barbarians to have the ability to appease upkeep completely with food. And, in the examples we've seen of feral casters, they still had to hire themselves out to sides to maintain upkeep.

All that said, it is always up to the GM to decide how they want any given rule to work. I recommend just deciding how provisions work for the purpose of your game and go with that.
Godzfirefly

Postby 0100010 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:05 am

IC: Luglug looks up from the haunch of ape leg he is drying over the fire. "Chief Luglug is only member of Luglug tribe. Luglug is lonely."

Godzfirefly wrote:OOC: The discrepancy probably comes from how recently we learned about how food affects upkeep. We only learned about it in Digdoug Episode 21, less than two weeks ago. But, in that example, the people described were barbarian casters eating to reduce income, so I doubt that the comic intends barbarians to have the ability to appease upkeep completely with food. And, in the examples we've seen of feral casters, they still had to hire themselves out to sides to maintain upkeep.

All that said, it is always up to the GM to decide how they want any given rule to work. I recommend just deciding how provisions work for the purpose of your game and go with that.

OOC: What example of feral casters hiring themselves out are there? Or did you mean Barbarian caster and/or Natural Ally casters?

To clarify terms Feral is untamed beast, technically a "barbarian" in the sense that they have no side and move at the same time as them, but without sapience, and cannot speak. (hence a beast)

Here are some homebrew rules for provisions as it will be important to keep track of:
Unprepared provisions come from foraged edibles, hunted game, and other harvested sources.
One 'unit' of unprepared provisions reduce upkeep by 25%.
It costs 1 move to 'prepare' unprepared provisions (cooking/mixing/whatever)
Prepared provisions reduce upkeep by 50%
Heavy Units reduce double provisions for the same effect.

Beast units (feral or tamed) can have 100% of their upkeep paid for via provisions (double for light beasts or quadruple for heavy) If tamed, either someone else has to provide them provisions, they are left to forage/hunt on their own, their upkeep is paid by someone else, or some combination of thereof.

Hunting/foragaing provides X units of provisions based on numerous factors such as terrain type, skill, and size of the hunted beast.

I have not decided yet whether or not I'll allow sapient barbarians or Natural allies the ability to pay 100% of their upkeep with provisions or not.

Also, as for the stats above at the top of this page.
Those are ok for now, but I'll probably be tweaking things tomorrow.

Build the Ogre up as if he is a Special C, but the only specials he has is Fabrication and Heavy.

Postby Godzfirefly » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:29 am

0100010 wrote:OOC: What example of feral casters hiring themselves out are there? Or did you mean Barbarian caster and/or Natural Ally casters?

OOC: Specifically, in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6632

Lady Tisha Necrosis is listed as "popped feral" and in her description it is said she "sustained her upkeep by contracting out for basic long-distance Thinkamancy services and espionage" for nearly 2000 turns.
Godzfirefly

Postby 0100010 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:54 am

Godzfirefly wrote:Peter was patting down his raincoat and the pockets of his suit as the Duke was talking. Eventually, as the Warlord came to the end of his priority list, he seemed to find what he was looking for...a small scrap of paper with some scribbled mathamancy written on it. He reads it as the Duke finishes thoughts, then shoves it back into his pocket and responds to Minsmeal's question by saying, "Well, we know noone that came inland from the boat survived except us, since no one could leave this hex for the past two days and we did role call when we arrived. And, the units didn't have leadership when we left, so unless our overlady had shmuckers to spare for promoting a unit from the boat crew to Warlord, they are probably de-popped. I should be able to find out if any of them survived by doing Findamancy for former Columbii units outside of this hex, but I think it'd be a waste of juice since we can barely even get there anyway with the purse we have. I'm no warlord, but wouldn't it be better to look for some side that might be on this side of the water first. Maybe someone we could hire out to so we can pad our purses?"

IC:
Peter assesses his situation and some things come to mind. First, he doesn't have very much juice left. He used alot of it during the battle. He can cast perhaps one or maybe two low level findamancy spells (or hobokens) before running dry, then he'll have to wait for dawn.

Findamancy is all about the phrasing, and finding the right phrase to use at that. He pulls out his compass, a focus for very simple findamancy spells, ask where something is, and it points in the direction of where it lies. It does have an odd behavior of spinning wildly sometimes if when something goes wrong, usually via a poorly phrased question, and wont spin at all if there is nothing to be found. Or course direction doesn't say how far, so getting more concrete answers requires higher level spells.

You think to yourself, as for finding other Colombii units, well it is very probably that there are some alive outside thew hex, probably to the north. Overlady Martha is probably alive, even though the capital fell, if she hadn't been we'd all be depopped rather than turned barbarian. We sailed south so naturally surviving units will be located north. The think is, the boat is also located to the north. If you ask where surviving former Colombii units are located, it is going to point north, but how will you distinguish between any that might be on the boat vs. those on the other side of the ocean?

A thorough search of the hex reveals:
16 fruit brutes corpses (1 already butchered by Luglug), [produced 5 provisions of meat (raw/unprepared)]
8 feral monkey corpses (1 provision of meat (raw))
10 provisions worth of unfamiliar fruit (raw/unprepared) recovered from feral monkey corpse inventories. (Note no one in your group has ever encountered beasts with inventories before.)
22 former Columbii unit corpses.
1 formerly allied Ogre Corpse.
1 Standard Horse corpses (former mounts) [harvestable] (Former Captain Custer's former mount)
48 prepared provisions (what remains of what was originally taken with the party)
(The two ogres were the only heavies you had with you.)

You know that many more provisions had been left behind on the boat. (it was a very long trip after all) The boat will have not depopped, because it is actually a magic item construct.

OOC:
SLIGHT RETCON:
Ended turn in ruin hex:
Currently Off turn:
Next turn (turn did not start at dawn, could have been due to barbariann encounter or the unknown side that would be attacking across the ocean)
Barbarian/Feral turn segment starts at dawn: Are attacked by feral units.
Battle won, gathering survivors and restacked.
Baribarian/Feral turn segment is over.
(Some unknown non-predicitive amount of time passed, capital falls)
Colombii units turn barbarian. Al unled field units depop. All command and led units have move replenished, but they are still "off turn" because barbarian/feral turn segment is already over.
Present time:
Move can be expend in hex only. (hiding, foraging, camp fortifying etc.)
Expected near future:
Sun is setting night will fall.
Expect start of turn at dawn during barbarian/feral segment.

Note this means everyone is still currently injured from the battle. (Because your turn hasn't started yet)
To halve your upkeep, you still need to prepare & eat provisions.

Other generic info:
Columbii originally had 3 casters, a Chief Caster Autumn Seasons (Turnamancer). Ken Carson (Dollamancer) and most recently a Peter Falk (Findamancer)

Postby Grand Diplomat » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:53 pm

One thing that is brought up in the Summer Updates was Mending Equipment which may constitute the Remaining costs (Like sharpening a sword or getting new arrows). I just thought I'd bring it up in case no one had already thought of it.

I would like to order the Knight and the stabbers to use all move in preparing the monkey meat, the fruit and the Fruit Brutes (Is the 5 provisions before or after Luglug butchered the Fruit Bruit?). I will Harvest the Horse and use 1 of my move to prepare the final bit of Fruit Brute meat. I would also like to ask Luglug if he would assist in gathering the corpses of our Fallen Comrades to do a proper ceremony. If any other players want the Knight or the Stabbers I will withdraw the orders to that unit.

I will leave the Magda, Peter and Will Danforth to their own initiative.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Werebiscuit » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:05 am

[ooc] Whoa a lot's happened since Friday...apologies for not checking in. Happy to keep the archer for now as I think with some activity we'll attract players for knight/stabbers/scout (unless LittleLoki looks in...but with a now 7 month absence it's highly unlikely) etc. [/ooc]

Magda shoo's off anyone trying to see to the archer squad corpses unless they're willing to follow her instructions. She will drag them to the centre of the grid requesting help for the burlier members of the squad, apologise to each corpse personally and then set about lashing them upright against the ruins with vines, facing outward. To anyone one helping her she explains
"They volunteer'd for the expedition so do not deserve this, but death is a price each squad member was willing to pay. So if their vigilance in death helps the expedition complete it's task then they've another claim for the Titans. But treat them with respect..."
After her work is done she reports to Duke Mincemeal
"It probably wont last long as a ruse but it should enable us to smoke out any futher ambush. Hopefully they'll feel the first stings of any attack..... any further orders for me ?"
If not given any orders she will see to providing herself with any armour, arrows and then set about finding wood and building a fire at the mouth of the stone steps. She will use the fire to roast fruit and monkey meat using a helm as a pot/oven.
Werebiscuit

Postby Grand Diplomat » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:58 am

The Duke turns to Magda and says, "I need you to fill your quiver and stack with Peter. Keep an eye out for trouble. I'll have the Will and the Knight join you."

He than turns and moves over to where where Luglug is sitting and asks, "Luglug what can you do with that building over there, the one with the door? We need to Fortify this position while we're here."

And than I go find Will and say, "Mr. Danforth, we have need of your skills. Will you stack with Peter and Magda and use you fantastic senses to warn them of in coming foes?" (Has a note all of that is given with the force of an orderan order)

I than go over to the Knight and say, "When your finished stack and screen the Caster."

I will than search the entire hex up and down, under every rock and behind every door for anything that might hint at who or what has been here before us.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby 0100010 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:01 am

LostTribeMap.jpg
LostTribeMap.jpg (106.33 KiB) Viewed 89 times

Red Lines = hexes previously visited by the exploratory force and/or scouts. You're all located in the ruin hex at the bottom.

Original approach was from the north (pretend there is a long line of ocean hexes zigzagging to avoid storms extended out northward, but I am not going to add that to the map)

The boat was last left on the beach hex that has a red line entering it from the sea.

Postby BrimStone » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:00 pm

Teldin was a level 1 knight who was selected to join this expedition. While following orders and stacked with a group of knights to provide a strong stack to protect the leadership. Teldin recently popped knight who had only seen 1 engagement before and was close to reaching level 2. During the fight the knights had not received orders due to the quick attack and confusion. This had started out messy and ended even worse. Teldin's stack had held high-ground until the attackers stopped coming, the Knights had all used their healing to keep the ground held. When it had ended Teldin had reached level 2 and was the only survivor in his stack. After hearing the order to regroup Teldin picked himself up and joined the remaining survivors.

Knight 10/3/3/5/Rider, 14 points 100 upkeep (Base)
Knight 13/9/6/5/Rider/Healer, 14 points 100 upkeep (Teldin)
Once per day, the unit can restore 1 hit/level to another unit

Edited to make minor corrections.
Last edited by BrimStone on Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrimStone

Postby Grand Diplomat » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:36 pm

Would Teldon's stats be closer to:
13/9/6/5/Rider, Healer (It's 1.5 hits per point spent there)

The Duke a stops has he begins to walk away after having issued orders to the knight. He turns back and says, "Forget my previous orders Teldon. I want to ask you a question, of the units here who would you have guarding the caster?"
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby BrimStone » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:48 pm

OOC: Yes you are correct it would be 13/9/6/5/Rider, Healer The name is Teldin.

IC: I can volunteer for that, with basic healing abilities I can extend Peters ability to survive. However, with the bonus from being stacked with you we can keep attackers from reaching Peter more successfully. So I will defer to you in this. As far as actions this turn I can help turn unprepared provisions into prepared provisions for some of us. Given that there are 7 of us, plus a heavy to look after I would need help on that to prepare enough provisions. Currently we are getting our bearings I recommend that we forage and prepare as much as we can while we are here with food to be gathered/prepared.
BrimStone

Postby Grand Diplomat » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:23 pm

The Duke turns to Luglug and says, "Luglug, will you ally with us?"
If he says yes immediately great if not I want to make a point of the fact that We have plenty of food to share with him, that there is strength in numbers and that I am currently in possession of 2000 shmuckers. After that he should with a little luck ally with us.

After he becomes our ally these are my orders

*Teldin, The stabbers and the Duke will turn all unprepared food into prepared stuff. We will be in one stack and will be keeping an eye on The caster stack and the edges of the ruin

*Luglug, Magda, Will and Peter shall stick together while Peter assists Luglug in strengthening any weak sections of the building. The four of them should also be in a stack.

If any one has any thoughts I am ready and waiting to hear them.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby 0100010 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:24 pm

OOC:
I'll cover unit stats in a later posts. For now assume Grand Diplomat's rules are in use except for where I say something will be different.
Base stat & upkeep will be one of those those difference but only slightly.
Other known changes will be:
I going to have upkeep not be increasing per level so now assume base upkeep is for level 2. (so still 100 for the knight, but remains at 100 for all level above 2, same for casters and warlords)

Anything that says once per day (like the healing special) is 1 move cost instead. I guess these Knights are/were a Hospitaler variety.

The scout spot is still open as the prior player hasn't made an appearce but I aim to modifiy the unit slightly. It is still a scout but of a ranger type, and still of the race of men. I'm going to use the speculation that only men can have scouts that move on the enemy's turn, thus bypassing the natural predictamancy of turn order encounters, but at a cose of move that is more in linve with other races of men. (and thus not a creature that might have higher move due to a different biology) I'll specify this out later when I make official stats for everyone.

Another thing to note, since you came from a non Royal side, the warlord does not have the noble special. Though he can still call himself a Duke if he wants, just because. (or maybe he is royal but was a turned unit?) This is up to the player.

Spots still open for new players:
Scout-Ranger
Stabber 1
Stabber 2
-I can come up with another slot if there is still interest and all the above slots are filled.

IC:
Luglug does not make any moves toward helping either with the bodies of the fallen, even his own dead kin, or in response to the Duke's inquiry about the building. He continues expending his move to prepare the met from the Alpha Brute he had slain and claimed.

"Luglug not allied, cannot take orders. Luglug must make food for upkeep, then Luglug go search for gems to make more ogres."

Night falls no one is in danger of being attacked anymore (until next turn).

Unspent Move is free to be expended safely on other activities mainly harvesting and preparing. From the combined corpse of monkey, brute and horse, the party now has:
72 raw provisions of meat, 10 raw provisions of fruit, and 48 leftover prepared field provisions.

Minimal signs of presence were found. most tracks were pretty well trample in the battle. The distinct tracks found (apart from your own) were those of fresh monkey, old jaguar tracks, fresh brute tracks , and an old unknown humanoid track (definitely not the race of men), barefoot and about the same size, so probably not a heavy track. (Finding tracks is trivial with both a ranger and a Findamancer in your party)

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games