Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby 0100010 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:30 pm

OOC:

you posted again before I did.

IC:
Luglul nods to your requests, but adds a condition. "Luglul, lonely, Luglug wants replacement for mate. Give Luglug enough smuckers to pop mate and Luglug will ally."

(I'll figure out exactly how much that costs later, but it will be about 2 to 3 times the upkeep cost of Special C) This does not not mean you can't continue to negotiate.)
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby BrimStone » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:51 pm

OOC: So for healing currently I can heal 2 points/day, are you now saying it is 2 points per move (I have 5) so that would be up to 10 points?

IC: I will prepare 5 portions of raw meat for my 5 move.
BrimStone

Postby Grand Diplomat » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:41 pm

OOC: When I realized that fact I fixed the my story to show how a Noble unit ended up on a Non-royal side. I'm currently under the impression that a new Ogre would cost between 240 and 360.

IC: "Chief Luglug, we would be happy to give you enough shmuckers to pop a mate. You mentioned looking for gems but I was under the impression that gems could only be found under hills and in mountains. If you can find gems here the boost to our purses would be exemplary. If Peter and our scout would be helpful in finding gems I believe they would be more than willing to aid you. In the mean I shall prepare some food," I say to him. I than go and use all 5 of my move to prepare some of the meats.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby 0100010 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:18 pm

OOC:
Also part Retcon:
I am going to aim to keep rules as close to canon when possible. So after rescanning the wiki, it seems that our Warlord Duke had to have been promoted to heir designate in order for his stack to survive. SO in a manner similar to Wanda's experinece for the briefest of moments you were Overlord of Columbii. (you were the only warlord alive far away from the conflict, at the time of your promotion)

You were promoted, and your purse was filled to maximum (2000s) with the leftover treasury, and Peter's purse was filled partially with the rest (950s) that didn't fit in yours. As the lights went out in the garrison, you saw Dollamancer Ken Carson's light switch to a captured state, and Turnamancer Autumn Season along with an allied (hired) thinkamancer, crossed the portal into the magic kingdom. You could tell Overlady Martha had dumped 1000s into Autumns purse as well before she crossed the portal. The Treasury was at zero when the last garrison unit died and you became barbarian. (this means there can't be any units in existence anywhere else, except Autumn whom you can't contact and isn't necessarily bound by duty anymore.

IC:
After everyone expends move to prepare food, the party is left with
30 raw provisions of meat,
10 raw provisions of fruit,
90 prepared field provisions.

Luglug nods affirmatively and you feel the quantity in your purse shrink. An alliance has formed between the Columbii barbarian faction and the Luglug Ogre Tribe, You expect the new ogre to pop at dawn.

The Ranger reports the the hex has been thoroughly search, no enemies are present, nor any signs of track beyond what was already found. There seems to be 'barrier' at certain places in the ruins, similar to hex boundary barriers. The barriers prevent access down the steps, or through the door of the intact building.

"Perhaps a movement boundary, disallowing us to cross into the other zones of the ruin hex, when it is not our turn." he speculates. You're inclined to concur with this observation, your command sense indicating that you are only in 'the surface' zone at present.

OOC:
Some rules about items
Unattended, non-magical, non-structural, non-secured, will depop at the start of your next turn.
Securing an Item means placing it in unit's inventory or a structural item's inventory.
Structural items are various construction, usually temporary field works. Made by dollamancers or fabricators, or other magic, but they are not necessarily magical themselves.
Some Structural items are portable, and some are not.
The raft Luglug made earlier was water-capable, non-magical structural item. but it was left unattended at the river crossing hex.
Structural items require basic maintenance, or they will decay and then depop. Structural items are maintained via the expenditure of move points by someone with the appropriate abilities. If a structural item contained inventory when the depop, the contained items are no longer secured, and will depop the next turn.

There are limits to individual units inventory space based on the unit race and type. Inventory capacity can be expanded with equipment such as backpacks and saddlebags made by a dollamancer or a fabricator.
An item is either capable of being placed in inventory or it isn't, Structural items cannot be placed in inventories. There is no "bulk" or size varying for inventory items. One item take up one inventory slot, no matter what the item is.

One problem you need to consider... there is not enough collective inventory space among all the survivors to hold all the provision & items currently in the hex. Thus anything left behind unsecured will depop when the party begins a turn in a different hex.

Magic Items do not depop, but they can be destroyed, stolen or looted.
Magic structures do not suffer decay and thus also do not depop. (but can be destroyed or stolen if portable)
the boat is a portable magic structure, with a cargo hold (inventory space) last known to be filled with expedition provisions.

Postby BrimStone » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:28 pm

OOC: What are the limits of our carrying capacity as we want to secure as much of the prepared provisions as possible.
BrimStone

Postby 0100010 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:30 pm

BrimStone wrote:OOC: What are the limits of our carrying capacity as we want to secure as much of the prepared provisions as possible.

OOC:
I'll spec that out when I complete character stats.

Postby Grand Diplomat » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:30 pm

Can the Ogres find gems?
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby 0100010 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:33 pm

Grand Diplomat wrote:Can the Ogres find gems?

OOC:
A chieftain is a command unit with the ability to convert gems into shmuckers. Though they have no purse they can use shmuckers to pop more tribe members, or pop rations to pay for upkeep. This is why Luglug is interested in them. I don't want to make Ogre's too overpowered, so I don't think I should let them have some advantage in finding gems over any other unit, especially since they are heavy and not tunnel capable, thus some inherent mining ability makes little sense.
Last edited by 0100010 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Grand Diplomat » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:10 pm

OOC: OK, Thank you.

IC: The Duke turns to look at his little company after the hearty meal of Monkey Jerky, Biscuits, Smoked salmon and dehydrated apple slices. He said, "My friends, we are all that is left of our side. That is except for two. Our Turnamancer escaped to the magic kingdom. Ken Carson was captured by our foes. We have just enough shmuckers to last 5 turns. But our situation is not all grim. We stand here upon the ruins which we took many turns to find and.." His voice cracks a little at this point. "Lost good friends to secure. On the Morrow we shall rise and search the sections that are barred to us right now. Then we shall secure a city and reestablish the Columbii. Then we shall reunite with Autumn season and he shall tell us who killed our over lady and destroyed our side. Than we shall let loose the hounds of War and rescue Ken Carson. No one left behind!" At this he raises his flask and says, "To those we have lost and to vengeance upon our Foes." And than he drinks and rests.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby 0100010 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:00 am

IC:
During the night everyone dreamed. Life as a barbarian, what was it going to be like? Harsh, you're sure. You've heard the stories, never knowing if your upkeep would hold.

For those who were not commanders, things felt a bit different now. You still felt some loyalty to your side, well what was left of it, and to Duke Mismeal the brief ruler of Columbii, but it is different now. The biggest component of your loyalty now cam from the fact that it was his purse that pays your upkeep, that keeps you alive. What would happen if someone made a better offer? Someone richer? Someone who had a greater chance of insuring your continued survival because they had a bigger purse? Or because they were backed by a treasury? These were thoughts you had never considered before.

Furthermore the desire to be a warlord was stronger now if it was present before, and came into existence if it wasn't. Some of you never gave it a though, but now, you know, that if somehow, you became a warlord, you'd have a purse, you be free, not tied to someone else's purse for survival but could in theory, strike off on your own, if it came down to it. Now it doesn't mean you still could not work together, but how? how could such a thing come to pass? How could you get promoted? That was a thing only rulers or chief warlords with a capital could do did. For now you were stuck, is stuck the right word for this feeling? It is not that different from before, Overlady Martha could disband you with a whim, and paid your upkeep, so you did as you were told. No you did as you were told because you were loyal,, right? Now it is confusing. You should do as your told, but your commander cannot disband you on a whim! Really? No, you don't think he can. However, he can just choose to not pay your upkeep on the next turn, so what's the difference?

Peter had his own troubled thoughts tonight. The magic kingdom was denied to him, that could have been a place that he could have fled to, if he had been in the capital but he wasn't. Now, he had to analyze his situation, find the clues and the reasons and the pathways for what he should do. One thing he knew, he was his own person, of sorts. Sure he felt, some loyalty to Duke Mismeal, Is Duke still the right term now? But he could, in theory strike off on his own. His purse was not zero, Duke Mismeal could not draw from it without his consent. If he managed to obtain any gems, he could fill it more. If the Duke, should titans forbid it, croak, he would live on, at least until his upkeep ran out. No, working together is a far better way to survive, but there was some comfort in knowing he could go off on his own if he wanted to. Would he? What if the Duke found a side to ally with, could he make his own deal? Turn to them, or just get to their portal room and into the magic kingdom? That would me he would be abandoning his friends. Could you do that? Would you ever want to? What if your life was at stake? What if your purse was empty? Also, what about the others, Magda, Teldin... You know you have the ability to pay for their upkeep, if you wanted to..they could work for you, but your not a leader, no leadership bonus from you. They would certainly fare better in a fight with Duke Mismeal leading them. But if something happen to him, you'd be a backup, you guess.

Ah life as a barbarian? What does it mean? Duke Mismeal dreamed as he tossed and turned on a hard flat stone block of the ruin. Your tribe lives on in you, and your side dormant, unless you find a capital site and claim it. The lives of these troops depend on your, you are their only source of upkeep, wait no that isn't true. Peter has his own purse, it isn't zero. You knew for that brief moment you were overlord where all the treasury funds had gone. You can't pull funds from any purse but your own without his consent. He could theoretically survive on his own, wait what does that mean? Does he have loyalty to you? You sense no such thing from Autumn, you don;t sense her at all, or Ken, and they are both far away. The troops, there is something different there too, but your not quite sure of it. Neverthessless, despite the great loss you have suffered, you feel this unnerving, powerful sense of...freedom... you are your own man, bound to no one. Do as you like. Perhaps being a barbarian isn't all bad, but perhaps that is just how all rulers feel. Its not like you had much time to dwell on it during your brief tenure, before taking the black. Taking the black? What an odd idea, what does that mean? Free from your old obligations, the politics of the past is behind you, but duty sworn to your brothers. Something to do with Raiment? You looked down at yourself in a your dream state to saw new black furred garb. Strange.

But what can a barbarian commander do? Well not much, but some things that you couldn't do before. You can use your purse to pay for upkeep of anyone under your command. You can convert gems to shmuckers, well you could do that before, but it is a comfort to know you still can. Your purse can buy rations and standard replacement equipment. You can receive and give away shmuckers from your purse to someone else who also has a purse, or to chieftains like Luglug here. You...cannot...disband those under your command, you knew you could briefly as an overlord, but now you can't? You guess it doesn't matter... you can choose not to pay for their upkeep, which will disband them all the same....unless...they turn to someone else who has a purse...or a treasury.... speaking of such, they know how much is in your purse, somehow you know they know. You won't be able to hide that fro them. Lowly troops never knew how much was in your purse before, though it had always been zero. They certainly never knew how much was in the treasury, you certainly didn't until you were briefly overlord. That means you won't be able to hide it if someone is in danger of getting disbanded from lack of upkeep. You wonder will that be a good or a bad thing?

But what elsecan a barbarian do? You can't take a city with so few troops! How can you get more? As you though of this, the answers came to you in the dream. You can always tame feral units. They have a minimum upkeep of zero, just make sure you can feed them, if you can't you need to buy them rations, with your purse. How else? You can take a city. Yes somehow you know that funds from a city can be used to directly purchase more troops even if your a barbarian commander, like how Luglug and natural allies can just pop more of their race. You can pop more of the race of men. Yu can do more though, you can pop other units types, units you have under your command already...but right now that is only ogres and men, and ogres don't count because they are a natural ally. Maybe tamed units, of if only that mount was still alive. None of that matters though, if you don't take a city. Right, how do gain funds form a city? By claiming one.. wait. Claim a capital city, what would be the point of buying more barbarian troops, other than to gain some instantly without waiting? no that wont work, you get funds form a city by razing it.... you probably don't want to raze a capital city, well maybe you do if it is crappy, you can just claim the site and rebuild. So non capital cities... you auto-raze them, get money, buy more troops (or just pay for upkeep longer)

How else can you get troops? Capture them, turn them loyalty may be dubious, especially if they are from a side. Other barbarian troops though, you could probably bribe them, if you have a bigger purse and can convince them they can survive better under your command. Wait, could Peter do that to your own troops? Would he? Why would he? No that's silly.

What else? You can make deals, alliances with other barbarians. Alliances with sides, and natural allies. A ruler could command units to turn to your command, become barbarian. That doubtful, but yo that could be done with beasts. Ask for some mounts in addition to upkeep payments, just plain capture some mounts or other beasts. Ask for items and equipment. You never had to think about logistics before, a mathematician would be handy. Maybe a ruler could give you city funds, let you pop more troops, more men, or the like. You're not sure if they would go for that, as long as they didn't feel threatened perhaps..... so much much to think about. Upkeep, provisions, equipment, obtaining more units, finding a city, finding gems... life as a barbarian isn't easy...

Everyone awoke to the sound of the jungle birds and howler monkeys screeching in the nearby jungle trees. A loud POP was heard, and an Ogre appeared. Her name was Gertie. Turn started at dawn. That is a good sign, no barbarian units moving before you do, no way to tell if anything will be moving after you though. Everyone's wounds are healed, their equipment repaired, clothes cleaned and the like. Time for the first turn in this new life as barbarian units.

OOC:
Still messing with stat stuff, and I'll update upkeep and provision counts later. I assume everyone ate, so upkeep is at 50% less at least. (However now you have 2 ogres, so starting next turn, total upkeep costs has gone up.) I originally said free form game and rules, so I don't want to find myself spending too much time fretting over stats and such. I kind of feel like I've spent to much time on that already but I have some ideas I want to try anyway. Remember though this needs to be player driven also. too, so that means frequent quality posting. (and frequent high quality posting will be the way you r characters gain XP)
Last edited by 0100010 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby BrimStone » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:44 pm

Well at least we have no enemies in this hex. Should we have our scout investigate the 2 hexes to the east and then some hexes around there for something of interest, feral animals, or mounts? I think overall we should stay here where we can have some safety and have our Ogre allies fabricate some items (backpacks, some crude housing), and the rest of us can turn the unprepared provisions into prepared to help us while we travel.
BrimStone

Postby 0100010 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:57 pm

OOC:
Note, a unit cannot enter the interior zones of a ruin unless they have full move and they are on turn (also a commander must be present), and when they exit, their move will be zero. If the scout leaves the hex, then the scout cannot join any party that explores the ruin, however from the looks of the underground entryway, It is doubtful the ogres will be able to follow (subterranean tunnels, barred to heavies that are not tunnel capable).
Last edited by 0100010 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby BrimStone » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:01 pm

OOC: Thanks I had forgotten about the ruins and that it takes full move to enter.

IC: I just remembered about the ruins, maybe we should investigate those this turn. The Ogres can still work on the backpacks as needed for us since they cannot go in. Duke, what are your thoughts?
BrimStone

Postby Grand Diplomat » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:59 pm

IC: I was already up when the sun rises. I had been up for a good 45 minutes. During this time I had thought long and hard about what to do. During that time I had stood in one spot watching the sun rise. Upon hearing the Knight ask my thoughts I turn to the little group. I look at each of them for just a moment. I than say, "This turn we will be splitting into 3 teams. Peter, you, Teldin, Magda and a stabber shall go into the building and search it for anything useful. Use Juice at your discretion, just keep in mind we are unlikely to be the only ones acting today. Luglug, you are in charge of Gertie and the ranger. We need gear and intelligence. Use resources at your discretion. I shall be taking the other stabber and searching down the stairs. Are there any questions?"
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby BrimStone » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:54 pm

IC: My Lord, since you are the only unit with a large enough purse to cover all of us are you sure it is wise? If we can enter the ruins together and we still have move until we leave why would we not travel together and explore both areas as a group?
BrimStone

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:07 am

"Aye," pipes up Magda "...splitting our meagre forces is a recepie for disaster. Begging your lordships pardon." She goes a pale shade of crimson before swallowing hard and continuing " We should start at a central point and work outward were it not that the steps over there mean we should be working in two directions. If the ogres " she nods at Luglug and Gertie " cannot go down there then they should guard our backs while we expolre. Then we can emerge and if we have no move left guard the stairs as they explore outward. if we have move we should accompany them. For now it's best we spend our turn in one group until we have 2 full stacks".
Werebiscuit

Postby Grand Diplomat » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:02 pm

OOC: In order to enter the ruins it takes half of every units move and in order to exit it takes half of every units move, Right?
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby 0100010 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:43 pm

Grand Diplomat wrote:OOC: In order to enter the ruins it takes half of every units move and in order to exit it takes half of every units move, Right?

OOC:
No, you just have to have max move and be on turn to be able to enter the interior zone, and when you exit the interior zone your move goes to zero. So don't exit until your done searching. You'll have full move while inside the interior zone, not that it matters too much, you're still all in the same hex. You can still exit the interior zone to the surface zero even if for whatever reason your move was zero.

Postby Godzfirefly » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:02 pm

Peter had slept in a bit, but was awakened by the orders of Minsmeal and Magda's dissent. He thought a bit about it and added as he got up from his bedroll, "I'm no warlord, but Magda may be right. Surely any exploration team would be better served in the case of an encounter if we had a warlord with us." Then, after a pause for thought, "And, without the Overlady's orders driving us, what gain do we hope to get from exploring this ruin anyway? Wouldn't we be better served spending our time looking for a nearby side that might hire us? Or foraging for food to extend our upkeep?"
Godzfirefly

Postby BrimStone » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:47 pm

IC: I think that exploring the ruins my Lord would give us a chance at finding either items that will help us to survive, or to find smuckers to ensure our ability to pay upkeep.
BrimStone

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games