Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby 0100010 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:05 pm

IC:

"Well, your a findamancer. Can't you find out if there is treasure in there?" The ranger asked. "Won't gems or such if there are any in there help pay our upkeep? I'm no mathemancer, but I'm pretty sure we don't have enough smuckers to get home, and we don't know where the nearest side is, we might not have enough shmuckers to get there either."

Luglug had gathered some sticks, fat from the previously butchered corpses and strips of previously skinned hides, and strips of long grasses in the hex. "You want Luglug and Gertie make torches, Lord? Ogres not fit down stairs."
0100010
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby Godzfirefly » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:03 pm

Peter raised an eyebrow at the ranger and shrugged. "Well, I can try finding free gems in the ruins before we go in, if that will help us make decisions. I can also look for threats that might defeat such a small group of us or for threats that could defeat our full expedition. But, without knowing exactly what I'm looking for, it'll use up a lot of juice, and the information won't be more than if those things are there and in what direction they are. I'm a Findamancer, not a Lookamancer or a Predictamancer or even a Mathamancer. The more abstract the goal, the harder it is to Find and the more juice it will take to keep track of. And, the more juice I use now, the less I'll have for inside the ruins." Peter shrugs again and looks to Minsmeal. "Which information will best help you decide our disposition? I'm happy to help, within reason."
Godzfirefly
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:51 am

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby BrimStone » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:40 pm

IC: I defer to your knowledge of your magic, but can you find out if there are or how many enemies are inside? Meaning what is the risk of spending our turn exploring.
BrimStone
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:25 am
Location: Bay Area, California

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby Godzfirefly » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:11 pm

Pulsing his lips, Peter replies, "Only vaguely, I'm afraid. Finding threats is a minor challenge. Finding details of the threat is the realm of Eyemancers, though. And comparing a threat to our own ability is Mathamancy. I'm afraid I'm too inexperienced to have much practice in spells outside my discipline right now." He sighs, as much at his own limitations as anything else. "By the same measure, I can find the most valuable treasure we can carry in the ruin, but it is harder to say if that treasure is worth seeking. And yes, I can use effort to catalogue the number and direction of each threat and treasure, if I were willing to drain myself for the effort and there weren't too many of either."
Godzfirefly
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:51 am

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby Werebiscuit » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:22 am

All through these exchanges Magda has been sucking at her lips " With your lordships indulgence.." She salutes Mincemeal and turns to Peter " Can you find the most imminent threat to our survival.. or closest threat if that is too vague ? We then have the choice to head in that direction or not, I would suggest not, for the moment, till we increase our strength." she casts a sheepish look toward Mincemeal to accompany the suggestion "That information may impact our decision to explore below. Could you also find the direction of the closest aid..or is that too vague ? "
She turns to back towards Mincmeal " It seems to me, m'lud that with some thought and the right questions before we act we can greatly increase our chances of survival." She pauses in thought
"If we can only get direction.?..." A questing brow in Peter's direction looks for affirmation ".... then distance should be part of our question." Can Peter limit the range of the spell by either word or juice to a turn's move ? " Again she turns from Mincemeal to Peter. "Can you , Peter ?"
Werebiscuit
 
Posts: 1136
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:45 am

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby Godzfirefly » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:42 pm

Peter directs a faint smile to Magda. "You have a good sense for Findamancy, Magda. I can search for threats currently within our Move range. But, when the things I Find are outside of my hex, it takes more juice to find an accurate distance. And, threats can be mobile, so they might move into our Move range (or our current hex) from outside our Move range. So, there is a danger in limiting my Finding like that. As a general rule, simpler questions use less juice, but yield less useful results. If you want a more useful result, it takes more juice. Really, it all comes down to our priorities."

OOC: I'm kinda waiting for a final word from the Warlord before I use my juice, since I'd hate to waste juice on questions that don't affect disposition of troops.
Godzfirefly
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:51 am

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby Grand Diplomat » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:47 pm

IC: "You are all correct to some degree. Teldin, you are correct we need to do exploration together. Magda you're correct we need to find distance and direction. Luglug, we will need torches. Now Peter what will you need to find the distance to the nearest capital site. After that I shall take every one except the Ogres and the ranger," I say with a smile.

OOC: I'll be out of touch for the next 48 hours or so.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:41 am

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby 0100010 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:18 am

IC:

Lullug nods, and he and Gertie begin assembling torches. It won't take long for them to have crafted more than one for everyone capable of entering the tunnels.

OOC:
I think that's cue for our Findamancer to start casting.
0100010
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby Godzfirefly » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:56 am

Peter nods to Minsmeal and sits on a nearby moss-covered stone with the compass in his hands. He focuses his juice on the compass and murmurs, "Hudson, Oxley, Cook." The compass starts by spinning wildly in his hands as he casts a spell to Find the direction and distance to the nearest capital site.
Godzfirefly
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:51 am

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby Werebiscuit » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:37 am

Magda salutes " If your lordship does not have further direct orders for me I'll keep a watchful eye on our findamancer. "

She goes about collecting arrows to restock her quiver and making sure she has a tight second string for her bow before going over to watch Peter about his business. She will stand quietly out of his direct sightline so as to give him minimum distractions and continue to observe him and the surroundings, preferably with her back to Mincemeal all the while awaiting a suitable break in the proceedings to grumble quietly
" Finding a capital site is all very well but it seems to me that we're trying to run before we learn to walk." A long pause to check for anyone in earshot before continuing " I mean we've already lost my squad... and most of the rest of the expedition... by knowing naught about what we were walking into. We need to deal with the here and now, and that requires increasing our strength and avoiding threats. I hope you've enough juice left to at least attempt finding an answer to one or both of those queries."

" As far as increasing our strength goes either allies or gems to help us pop more units or ogres would suffice. However allies are likely to be mobile and the information will quickly be useless..while gems not so mobile although possibly guarded.
Similarly threats are likely to be mobile unless we specify their camp or base but we want to avoid going there as it would only lead to vengance and they're likely to be better trackers than us. "

" Had you any thought on the matter , Peter ? "
Werebiscuit
 
Posts: 1136
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:45 am

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby BrimStone » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:21 am

Seeing Magda near Peter defending him, Teldin will place himself near Mincemeal to ensure that all leaders are protected. I am making sure that the straps on my armor, the grip on the hilt and the shield are all still in top shape.

I feel that we should make sure we figure out what is here and while doing that hopefully our 2 ogre allies will be able to have backpacks or other traveling items ready for is so that hopefully next turn we can start traveling somewhere to help our upkeep issue.

Once Peter finishes casting I will ask, Peter I just had a thought. Can you find put if there is a nearby mine? We might be able to help with upkeep if we could find that easier and it would probably be less defended than a capital site.
BrimStone
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:25 am
Location: Bay Area, California

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby 0100010 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:18 am

Godzfirefly wrote:Peter nods to Minsmeal and sits on a nearby moss-covered stone with the compass in his hands. He focuses his juice on the compass and murmurs, "Hudson, Oxley, Cook." The compass starts by spinning wildly in his hands as he casts a spell to Find the direction and distance to the nearest capital site.


IC:
Peter casts a spell to find the location of the nearest capital site outside this hex. After the spell is finished, he watches the needle of his compass anxiously. The needle of his compass does not move at all.

OOC:
Location and direction are two different spells. Location if it is in range automatically provides direction. Do you still want to do direction as a separate spell casting also at greater range?
0100010
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby Godzfirefly » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:22 pm

Frowning at the lack of results, Peter focuses again. This time, he seeks to Find just the direction to the nearest Capital site within range. Murmuring, "Cabrilho, Perestrelo, Zarco," he sends the needle point spinning again with greater freedom.

Once results are found, he gets up and stretches a bit. Glancing at Magda, he replies, "I'll have juice enough for finding threats, I think. As long as we don't try to do all our searching for everything today, I'll be able to get some readings and save half my juice for exploring ruins and combat if that becomes necessary."
Godzfirefly
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:51 am

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby 0100010 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:03 pm

Godzfirefly wrote:Frowning at the lack of results, Peter focuses again. This time, he seeks to Find just the direction to the nearest Capital site within range. Murmuring, "Cabrilho, Perestrelo, Zarco," he sends the needle point spinning again with greater freedom.

Once results are found, he gets up and stretches a bit. Glancing at Magda, he replies, "I'll have juice enough for finding threats, I think. As long as we don't try to do all our searching for everything today, I'll be able to get some readings and save half my juice for exploring ruins and combat if that becomes necessary."



IC:
As the spell is cast, and the compass is watched, again it fails to come to a definitive resting point, only stopping when the normal moment has run out. It does not track the direction when you turn the compass around to test the result, leaving you with only the conclusion that there is no capital site within the range of your spell to find, or if there is, it is being hidden by some other magic.
0100010
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby Godzfirefly » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:16 pm

Turning to the Warlord, Peter sighs once more. "I'm afraid I have only bad news. There seems to be no Capital site within 200 hexes of this location. We may be alone out here. I advise that we change focus to local matters for now, since seeking civilization out here may not be as fruitful as we had hoped. Magda is likely correct. My juice will probably be best spent seeking out threats."
Godzfirefly
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:51 am

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby BrimStone » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:33 pm

In my mind this solidifies the need to search these ruins and afterwards to search for a mine or something. Peter, can you verify either where the largest reward or the largest danger in these ruins would be?
BrimStone
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:25 am
Location: Bay Area, California

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby Godzfirefly » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:59 pm

"Certainly. Either or both. But, as a reminder, finding the biggest treasure doesn't mean it'll be useful treasure and finding the biggest threat won't mean either we should avoid it or that we shouldn't. Not without further investigation."
Godzfirefly
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:51 am

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby Grand Diplomat » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:41 pm

OOC: OK I'm Back.

IC: I look at every one has they gather around, "OK, Now it is time to enter these ruins and search them from top to bottom. Luglug, You are to wait outside the ruins with Gertie and the Ranger. Everyone else is to stack with me. We are going to search this place from basement up." I take the Torch he offers me and light it on my way to the ruined arch that marks the main entrance to the heart of the Ruins. Has I step through the Arch I draw my sword and begin to move towards the stairs. I say to Peter, "Save your juice for any unexpected guests that we may meet later. Every one, We will be screening Peter from anything we may meet along the way has he is the most valuable asset available to us."
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:41 am

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby 0100010 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:32 pm

IC:
The torches were passed around and soon the part of five descended the stairs, pausing a moment before the zone barrier before passing though. There is no going back now, anyone who does can't come back till dawn. The stairs led down to a series of dark tunnels, a few shafts veering off to the sides, a brief exploration showing they led to empty rooms.. Cobwebs hung about, occasionally burning up in a wisp of flame when a torch got too close. Spiders and cave crickets scurrying about with other generic non-threatening wildlife. The sounds of the howler monkeys in jungles beyond became more distant, until replaced by the sounds of your own footfalls, and the occasional drip of water. Now after a corner was turned, the light of the stairs was beyond reach, and only the torches showed the way.

the party stood at the entry way into a large room, the torchlight showed two exits on the on opposite sides of the far wall. Old rotting wood lay across the middle of the room in misshapen planks, a rotting tapestry laid onto of the planks. Perhaps it was some old furniture of some kind, it had a vague resemblance to a broken table.

OOC:
Everyone should probably reply before proceeding. Also decide what order people are in, who's taking point? Who's second, and in the middle? Who's at the rear?

Some players should check PMs first before replying.
0100010
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Barbarians! The Lost Tribe of [____]

Postby BrimStone » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:02 am

Given that I can heal I recommend that I take second spot with Peter right behind me so I can heal if needed.
BrimStone
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:25 am
Location: Bay Area, California

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CroverusRaven and 1 guest