ErfGame Open to all

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: ErfGame Open to all

Postby Safaquel » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:55 pm

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:
Safaquel wrote:There are so far only two rules to Erf magic.
1. There are disciplines.
2. Spells are malleable and their power and effect vary depending on caster level and juice expended.

That's it. Largely.

I agree here. Not much for the Erf magic system is set in stone, and any spells you put on a list like that are more or less just suggestions for more spells, which you could have made anyway, so it really isn't a big rules change or anything.

Golems on the other hand is something that needs to become a solid mechanic of some kind before too long. I think some people have means of creating golems, so what they make needs to be set before anyone can properly figure if they need to make golem making units or not, or at least at what point. I know alot of different ideas have been tossed around, and I like your suggestion overall.

On the weirdomancy thing though, I don't quite get the stat bonus from specials thing. What is the point of fire breath if you don't get the +8 to combat? I mean, you can start fires I guess, but I imagine there are way easier ways to do that than the most weirdomancy special in the game. Most specials that give stat bonuses are only useful because they give those stat bonuses, not giving them makes them pointless.

Golems are alive and have all their attributes as long as the caster that provided life/sentience/attribute is alive. This much can be inferred from Book 0. Mindless golems possibly can be alive even if caster is dead, but that cannot be confirmed.
If a golem was made with a caster link, then with the death of the caster a Golem may lose some vital attribute bestowed upon it by the caster, as evidenced in the case of Maxwell and the straw scarecrow golem.
Then again, this largely depends on how exactly the spell was cast and what attributes were affixed to the golem, and how.

Also, the webcomic is a very, very poor source of viable game rules, because everything is mostly up to the players and the gamemaster, and that is because it is a webcomic and it needs to be interesting.
Games aren't quite like that. So just play it without trying to set too many things in stone, eh?
Safaquel

Postby thlawrence » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:28 am

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:I agree here. Not much for the Erf magic system is set in stone, and any spells you put on a list like that are more or less just suggestions for more spells, which you could have made anyway, so it really isn't a big rules change or anything.

It is important that the rules and spells be placed publicly like this to ensure both a fair game, preventing players from being given unfair treatment, and to assist in the creation future games. Don't forget, the rules list, spell list, spell compendiumata, were all made for games that have since died. When our game dies we want to ensure that the next game can still use such information. After all, Wisdom is the most important Principle of Peace.

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:On the weirdomancy thing though, I don't quite get the stat bonus from specials thing. What is the point of fire breath if you don't get the +8 to combat? I mean, you can start fires I guess, but I imagine there are way easier ways to do that than the most weirdomancy special in the game. Most specials that give stat bonuses are only useful because they give those stat bonuses, not giving them makes them pointless.

The intent was to maintain the concept of the discipline. Modifying something in a way that is inherently opposed to its nature. While this is not canon it does make sense based on what we do know, and what we see of other disciplines.
If a unit could receive the stat bonuses then the discipline could be used for the intent of buffing units. It does make some specials pointless or extremely expensive. However the alternative is a fundamental difference to the discipline.

Golems are alive and have all their attributes as long as the caster that provided life/sentience/attribute is alive. This much can be inferred from Book 0. Mindless golems possibly can be alive even if caster is dead, but that cannot be confirmed.
If a golem was made with a caster link, then with the death of the caster a Golem may lose some vital attribute bestowed upon it by the caster, as evidenced in the case of Maxwell and the straw scarecrow golem.
Then again, this largely depends on how exactly the spell was cast and what attributes were affixed to the golem, and how.

Those golems were apparently designed for an express purpose of being alive. The caster achieved that by tying their own life to the golems. No other golems were seen like that, and they were considered unique because of it.
Book 0 - Page 56
thlawrence

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Tue May 20, 2014 6:16 pm

I think we broke him :(
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Grand Diplomat » Tue May 20, 2014 9:19 pm

Nope just busy.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Godzfirefly » Sat May 24, 2014 12:35 pm

Grand Diplomat wrote:Nope just busy.

So...are we ever going to pick this back up? And, if so, is there an ETA?
Godzfirefly

Postby Grand Diplomat » Sat May 24, 2014 1:23 pm

Yes, By Wednesday this round of turns should be finishing up.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Grand Diplomat » Tue May 27, 2014 9:41 pm

Sorry for the delay.
Besides Godzfirefly is there currently any one who has of yet has not finished turn 2?
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Grand Diplomat » Sat May 31, 2014 1:15 am

At one point you guys asked about new cities. I have decided to use city sites. Are there any other questions I failed to answer?
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Jacior » Sat May 31, 2014 1:17 am

I think we were just mostly talking about magic rules. Glad to see you're back.
Jacior

Postby Grand Diplomat » Sat May 31, 2014 1:24 am

I will take a leaf out of LT's book. The last turns of the day are THLawerence and GFirefly.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Grand Diplomat » Sat May 31, 2014 7:56 pm

I have also made some rule adjustments. Are there any questions?
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Jacior » Sat May 31, 2014 8:03 pm

What a the adjustments?
Jacior

Postby Grand Diplomat » Sat May 31, 2014 8:08 pm

Spells mostly.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Jacior » Sat May 31, 2014 8:12 pm

Nothing have to worry about yet then.

Should I submit my next turn yet? Or wait for Fluff rewards or whatever else I'd be waiting for?
Jacior

Postby Grand Diplomat » Sat May 31, 2014 8:29 pm

Yea thinking about what you want to do next is great but before I call for day 3 turns I have Barbarians/Feral units that I need to deal with after these turns.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Godzfirefly » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:50 am

Yay! I have information for more Flavor Writing! Yay! *Flails hands above head like Kermit the Frog*

Spoiler: show
Cilarnen leaned over the rail of his tower as he peered out at the adjacent hexes around Armethalieh. From here, there was no way he could actually see where his scouts were, but he imagined he could anyway.

He imagined he could see the new city site his scout had discovered and that he was even now saving shmuckers to afford founding a new city there. He could even now see the way that it would grow and the way the bells there would ring, much like the city he currently managed.

Turning another direction, he could imagine seeing in the distance the potential allies that he was already excited about meeting. True, they could be as dangerous as they are beneficial, but a good leader takes risks and this was once he was ready to take. Especially since he already has a fall-back plan just in case.

And, he looks out upon where his other scouts might be, securing the land about his city and giving him a true feel for the land around him.

A true leader has a connection to the land he rules as much as he has a connection to its people. He wasn't sure how he knew that, but it was as true as any other knowledge he had popped with. And, he knew that the land around Armethalieh would certainly be a strong and healthy land that would help the Side prosper and grow.
Godzfirefly

Postby Grand Diplomat » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:57 am

:D Surprise.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Grand Diplomat » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:40 pm

Turn 2 has taken much longer than expected. I would like to thank you all for being so patient. I would also like to thank THLawerence for all his contribution and I would like to wish him the best. Unfortunately while THLawerence is unavailable we have a spot *Possibly Temporarily* for some one to join.

There is only a little bit left of this turn so I figured now is a great time to tell everyone about what is changing in the sky.

Has you watch the stars above you see stars next to the sign of Utah shifting their position. The start moving faster and faster, swirling has they go, and than they slow very, very quickly. You watch has the stars align ever so nicely and lines of white light trace the shape across the sky. A capitol letter A within a circle.

The sun begins to come over the horizon...
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Godzfirefly » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:01 pm

So...Utah is in Anarchy? Interesting...
Godzfirefly

Postby Grand Diplomat » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:11 pm

Any one with a Library will find out what the new star Formation actually means.
Grand Diplomat
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games