Biohazard (A genetics Game) OOC/Rules Thread

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Biohazard (A genetics Game) OOC/Rules Thread

Postby tigerusthegreat » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:50 pm

This is a game I am running on giantitp forums and thought I'd try a version here as well, if there's interest.

premise: You are an exiled military commander, mad scientist, sociopath, or IRS auditor who has been marooned on a far off research planet. The scientists here are performing genetics research on a seeded population of organisms called batopods. The whole planet is one long-running experiment. Naturally you see the researchers, and their return rocket, as a good opportunity to escape back to civilization. Thus begins your plotting, but you are not alone. Others stranded like yourself have the same goal, and there is only enough space in the rocket for two people.

RULES:

Socially there are no rules. You can lie cheat and steal if you want, but keep in mind you each are going to be in command of an army of very dangerous creatures.

VICTORY: The only way to win is to be on the rocket when it takes off. There are only two seats, so only two of you (at most) are going to succeed.

ACTIONS: Your character and each batopod get an action every turn. At the start of the game the following actions are available:
Character:
Gather resources (gathers resources from a particular source)
Search for Batopods (looks and attempts to capture batopods)
Build a building (builds one building per turn)
Perform Research (requires a basic work area. One action required per research item, provided you have all the items required).
Heal Batopods (can heal multiple batopods. Requires basic medical facility)

Batopods
Attack (go to an area and attach any batopods there, then return)
Defend (go to an area and defend it. If other batopods are already there, they will attack them, then stay at the location until told differently).
Breed (select two batopods and they breed, creating a new baby batopod)
Examine (Batopod acts normally and you can observe, requires no action from the character)
Gather Resources (Batopod goes to gather resource)
Rest/Nothing (Batopod will sit in its pen doing nothing. It can heal from minor wounds)
Arena Practice (Two batopods spar in the arena, showing what traits they have. Requires an Arena)

Free Actions:
Deposit resources for research
Observe a batopod (batopod must use examine action).

Resources:
Mutagen Pools: These are naturally occurring pools of liquid high in mutagenic properties. Small amounts can be siphoned off without hurting the pool, but it can also be exploited, drawing off large amounts of mutagen, or dumping batopods into the pools to rapidly mutate their genetic code. Mutagen pools will regenerate over time if they are damaged in this way.

Fungiforests: These are quick-growing molds that are very strong. They only grow in a few spots on the island and are used as building materials and a food source. They can be carefully harvested, or outright stripped, but the latter can permanently damage the forest.

Steam Vents: Steam vents provide a large amount of raw energy. Unlike other resources, this is not depleted with use.

Scrap Piles: Scrap piles are large collections of metals left over from experiments and crashes. Slow and careful exploitation will yield best results overall, but quick exploitation will get more resources quickly. Used primarily as a building material.

Combat Process:

Combat has two phases, where each batopod acts in turn. Typically, the first phase is ranged and the second phase is melee (later you will be able to train/teach your batopods to try to stay at range or close quickly to melee, but until then, by default they will make one ranged attack, close to melee and make one melee attack).

At the beginning, I compare the number of speed mutations/genes each has, plus one. I then roll a random number generator from 1 to (speed A + speed B), and where it lands determines which goes first. (example: Batopod A has a speed of 2 (1 base + 1 speed mutation), Batopod B has a speed of 1 (1 base, + no mutations). This means A has a 67% chance of going first (2 speed / (2 A's speed + 1 B's speed)) = 2/3 = 67%). The order persists for the combat.

A ranged attack is performed similarly, except instead of comparing speeds we compare 1 + # of ranged attack mutations to 1 + # of ranged defense mutations. Where the role lands determines if it is a hit or miss.

A Melee Attack is performed similarly, except instead of comparing ranged values we compare melee values. Where the role lands determines if it is a hit or miss.

After an attack hits, if the batopod has dodge, then there's a chance that the attack is negated. I'm not going to go into the particulars of this, but the more dodge mutations, the better the chance that he will dodge. Batopods without a single dodge mutation cannot dodge.

A successful attack does 1d(attack stat) damage. Batopods have HP equal to 1 + number of health mutations (HINT: your progenitors have a high number of these mutations). If total damage is higher than their HP, then they die. If total damage is equal to or greater than half their HP, they need a medical facility to recover, otherwise they can recover using the rest action.

The only gene/mutation not mentions so far is fertility, and that increases the brood size of the batopod, meaning the more mutations, the more babies (minimum 1).

Obviously this means that you can have multiple copies of each gene.

GENES:
Batopods can have one or more copies of the following genes:
Melee Attack
Melee Defense
Ranged Attack
Ranged Defense
Dodge
Speed
Fertility
Health

Character Creation:
At the start of play, you have your character and one progenitor. The progenitor is a batopod with pure examples of two genes. These were stolen from the lab (and are very valuable). You can pick any two genes except health (and they must be two distinct genes).
Last edited by tigerusthegreat on Sun May 11, 2014 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 6/25/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 6/24/2014 (First Page)
Party Raid, a TCG Development Journal Updated 6/24/14
tigerusthegreat

Re: Biohazard (A genetics Game)

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:34 pm

Sounds like it should be alot of fun. Count me in!
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby tigerusthegreat » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:00 pm

One down. I'd like at least five total players.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:33 pm

I suppose I should have waited to throw in my hat. Clearly everyone is afraid to challenge me for supremacy of the Batopods.

1v1 me researchers!!!
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:43 pm

Going to update the rules above when I have some time as a few things have changed/been discovered.

Here is the current play thread for the giantitp forum (this forum will have its own on here if I get a few more players) http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthre ... etics-Game)

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby tigerusthegreat » Thu May 01, 2014 10:29 pm

Doesn't look like there will be enough interest here. The game on giantitp is going well, so I invite anyone to join that one if they would like.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby CroverusRaven » Thu May 01, 2014 10:52 pm

I'd be interested to join.
CroverusRaven

Postby Godzfirefly » Thu May 01, 2014 11:55 pm

I think I'd also be interested, though I'm not quite clear 100% on how the game works, yet.
Godzfirefly

Postby tigerusthegreat » Fri May 02, 2014 12:34 am

Read through the play thread, seeing it in action can help explain it better than I can.

The basics of it are, you have critters called batopods. You can breed them, genetically mutate or alter them, and your eventual goal is to take over the research station and escape. To do so, you will need to gather an army of powerful batopods to take down the research center's defenses and defend the rocket until you can take off. This might mean forming alliances with other players, or being a lone wolf. I'm trying to condense the ruleset into a readable document (as bits and pieces are spread throughout the play and OOC threads).

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby Godzfirefly » Fri May 02, 2014 2:36 am

The theme I get, and I like it a lot. I'll try reading through the play thread until I get the gameplay itself better. ^_^
Godzfirefly

Postby Godzfirefly » Fri May 02, 2014 3:19 am

Okay, sorry for the double-post. But, I read the play thread from giantitp forum, and it's really interesting. I am definitely in, once you're ready.
Godzfirefly

Postby tigerusthegreat » Wed May 07, 2014 9:39 pm

Updated first post with rules

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby Godzfirefly » Thu May 08, 2014 2:19 am

Looking forward to it!
Godzfirefly

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Thu May 08, 2014 10:49 pm

Neat to see the rest of the rules. Must decide what kind of progenitor to... ummm... 'borrow' from the research facility. When you say pure examples of 2 genes, how many points is that worth? Not that it matters a ton, but I'm curious.

Also, are you going to add the buildings/research as well?
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby tigerusthegreat » Thu May 08, 2014 11:21 pm

Building/Research Example:

Buildings:
Spoiler: show
Basic Work Area:
Everyone needs a place with some counterspace and equipment.
Enables: Regular Breeding, Research
Resource Cost:
10 Fungiwood
10 Scrap Metal

Pens:
A place to keep batopods that you have acquired.
Enables: Storage of 10 batopods (can be built up to 10 times) (your progenitor is kept for free). Resting (heals some wounds)
Resource Cost:
100 fungiwood

Arena:
A place that allows you to test your batopod's combat skills without much risk of them dying.
Enables: Combat Examination
Resource Cost:
250 Fungiwood
50 Scrap Metal

Basic Medical Facility:
A place to heal and treat injured Batopods.
Enables: Healing (recovers from most wounds)
Resource Cost:
200 Fungiwood
50 Scrap Metal
10 Mutagen (any purity)

Silo:
A place to store resources
Enables: Resource storage limit increase by 1000 scrap, 1000 wood, and 50 mutagen (Base is 1000/1000/50)
Resource Cost:
100 Fungiwood
100 Scrap Metal

Central Research (these cost twice as much to research on your own)
Spoiler: show
Crossbreeding:
This research unlocks the ability to chemically cross two distinct batopods (trying to cross the same one will always fail, but two distinct beings with the same genes (clones) can be crossed). The result is a new batopod that has some characteristics of each.
Resource Cost:
0/1000 fungiwood
0/100 mutagen (purity doesn't matter)
0/100 scrap metal

DNA Solvents:
The lab needs to modify some equipment to begin producing DNA solvents to help analyze DNA fragments (NOTE: This research is required for the central lab to research solvents, but not for each player to research them independently.
Resource Cost:
0/100 fungiwood
0/100 mutagen (purity doesn't matter)
0/100 scrap metal

Basic Adenine Solvent:
This is a basic solvent that dissolves Adenine compounds in DNA for analysis.
Resource Cost:
0/500 fungiwood
0/250 mutagen (Moderate purity or better)
0/250 scrap metal

Basic Cytosine Solvent:
Resource Cost:
0/500 fungiwood
0/250 scrap metal

Basic Guanine Solvent:
Resource Cost:
0/500 fungiwood
0/250 scrap metal

Basic Thymine Solvent:
Resource Cost:
0/500 fungiwood
0/250 scrap metal

Not sure what you mean by points. The progenitor has one copy of each of two genes, and does not have any other genes (except health genes)

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Fri May 09, 2014 7:25 am

Oh, okay. When you said pure examples I wasn't sure if that meant something special, like they were worth multiple mutations or something.

Anyway, hope we get a few more players so we can start this, very much looking forward to it.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby tigerusthegreat » Fri May 09, 2014 8:48 am

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:Oh, okay. When you said pure examples I wasn't sure if that meant something special, like they were worth multiple mutations or something.

Anyway, hope we get a few more players so we can start this, very much looking forward to it.

Well, they are valuable for research purposes, because if you were to analyze their DNA, you'd be able to clearly see the genes (with the right research and solvent of course)

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby CroverusRaven » Fri May 09, 2014 11:42 am

So, when are we gonna get started with character creation? I'm ready to start mutating creatures and making them fight for my needs.
CroverusRaven

Postby tigerusthegreat » Fri May 09, 2014 12:30 pm

Go ahead and post characters when ready. Hopefully I get at least 4

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby CroverusRaven » Fri May 09, 2014 3:26 pm

Mad Malcolm grabbed an aggressive batopod to help him get a spot on that escape ship. With quick reflexes and acid spit, his progenitor has pure examples of Ranged attack and Dodge genes.
CroverusRaven

Next

Return to Your Games