Biohazard (A genetics Game) OOC/Rules Thread

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Biohazard (A genetics Game)

Postby Harry1991 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:47 pm

Dr Malcolm Badguy (pronounced bad-gee) grabs himself a healthy, armored progenitor with genes for ranged defense and health. For somereason he figures these things will come in handy in his quest for the escape ship.
Harry1991

Postby tigerusthegreat » Fri May 09, 2014 5:45 pm

Harry1991 wrote:Dr Malcolm Badguy (pronounced bad-gee) grabs himself a healthy, armored progenitor with genes for ranged defense and health. For somereason he figures these things will come in handy in his quest for the escape ship.

Health is not allowed as a progenitor gene (for REASONS), so pick a different gene, please.
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 6/25/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 6/24/2014 (First Page)
Party Raid, a TCG Development Journal Updated 6/24/14
tigerusthegreat

Postby Godzfirefly » Fri May 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Doctor Ian Malcomb slips away with a tough looking crab-like creature that looked scrappy enough to hold its own in a fight. The good doctor's keen eye had noted a pure strain of both the melee attack and the melee defense strain of genes in his new companion.
Godzfirefly

Postby LTDave » Fri May 09, 2014 6:28 pm

Stefan Murgleroy has been on the island for a very long time. At least five days.
This telephone handset sanitiser was dumped here with the rest of society's non-essentials after the great retrenchment.

He has a progenitor with excellent genes of fertility and dodge.
LTDave

Postby tigerusthegreat » Fri May 09, 2014 6:50 pm

LTDave wrote:Stefan Murgleroy has been on the island for a very long time. At least five days.
This telephone handset sanitiser was dumped here with the rest of society's non-essentials after the great retrenchment.

He has a progenitor with excellent genes of fertility and dodge.

Guess he missed the Ark Fleet Ship B

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Fri May 09, 2014 9:42 pm

Really, the gene modifications weren't that illegal. And it was only one army of clones. And she was going to report her findings.... eventually. And it was only a small government she planned on toppling. But would anyone listen to that? Nnnnooooo, they had to send her to this little ball of a planet... but it did have all these lovely little critters, and that wonderful goop looked like it had alot of potential. And so it is with rising hopes that Marienne Dolly adopted the cutest little Batopod she saw during her tour of the research facility. Unguided tour. Unauthorized unguided tour. Stole... while breaking into. The little tag on it claimed that it was particularly fertile and was good at shooting a little volley of spines at things. Fun! Just the sort of thing to make government overthrowing armies with! Time to leave though, those alarm sirens mean the end of the tour.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby tigerusthegreat » Fri May 09, 2014 11:46 pm

So far we have:

CroverusRaven: Mad Malcolm with a ranged attack and dodge progenitor.
Harry1991: Dr. Malcolm BadGuy (bad-gee) with a ranged defense and ???? progenitor.
Gofzfirefly: Doctor Ian Malcomb with a melee attack and melee defense progenitor.
LtDave: Stefan Mugleroy with a fertility and dodge progenitor.
Taikei no Yuurei: Marienne Dolly with a fertility and ranged attack progenitor.

Going to give 48 hours for additional players. Dang we got a lot of Malcolms.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Sat May 10, 2014 7:51 am

I doubt it was intentional, but everyone so far has a name that starts with M.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Harry1991 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:14 am

oh go with melee defense too then :P
Harry1991

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Sat May 10, 2014 12:14 pm

So your prognator is a rock?
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Harry1991 » Sat May 10, 2014 2:13 pm

I think a turtle is the most rock-like animal I could have so i guess he's a turtle :P
Harry1991

Re: Biohazard (A genetics Game) OOC/Rules Thread

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sun May 11, 2014 11:54 am

IC Thread is up: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6841

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby Godzfirefly » Sun May 11, 2014 1:43 pm

One quick question...what is the benefit of the Solvents to analyze the parts of DNA? Will we need to research all four to actually analyze the DNA of a creature properly?
Godzfirefly

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sun May 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Godzfirefly wrote:One quick question...what is the benefit of the Solvents to analyze the parts of DNA? Will we need to research all four to actually analyze the DNA of a creature properly?

They allow you to look at dna by breaking it down by the relevant nucleotide. I think you could do reasonably well with 2 of them but 4 would be ideal

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Sun May 11, 2014 4:15 pm

tigerusthegreat wrote:
Godzfirefly wrote:One quick question...what is the benefit of the Solvents to analyze the parts of DNA? Will we need to research all four to actually analyze the DNA of a creature properly?

They allow you to look at dna by breaking it down by the relevant nucleotide. I think you could do reasonably well with 2 of them but 4 would be ideal

DNA is made up of Adenine, Cytosine, Guanine, and Thymine (ACGT) in a long chain. The chain is read in order, and certain combinations of the four molecules create certain effects. As far as this game is concerned, I'm guessing we'll be able to break down tissue samples from our progenitors (or other batopods) to figure out what the 'code' is for various benefits, and then recombine particular DNA sequences and make clones or inject them into batopods or whatnot. I'm sure the benefit of our original progenitors is that they have 'pure' expressions, so it should be easy to figure out what the minimum requirement is to get the two benefits we've picked, provided we have all the solvents. Missing some means some guessing. Having unpure examples of genes likely means it'll cost more resources to recreate, since we'll be making junk sequences along with what we actually need.

Personally I think the point when we get to start gene splicing and whatnot will be quite a bit of fun. In the mean time, it's army time!

Edit: What do our batopods do if they go somewhere to collect resources, and there is another batopod there? Will they ignore each other if they both have collect orders? What if one has an attack/defend and the other just has a collect order? Will the collector run off, fight in order to be able to collect, or what?

Will our little batopods fight to the death, or just like a round or two of combat?

What is the benefit of having two batopods fight in the arena instead of simply examining them? Both require an action from the batopod, but no action from the character.

You mentioned it over on the OOTS, but you never put in the posts here about the lab defenses.

Edit2: What is the benefit of crossbreeding over regular breeding? Are there different species of batopod then?

Edit3: Just remembered one of my original questions: How do Batopods and Humans interact when they aren't friendly? Can I attack someone's Batopod if I find it? Or will it attack me? Will it kick my ass outright, or the other way around, or are we fairly evenly matched?

Edit4: Do we set up camp in neutral areas, or can we make camp in one of the resource points, possibly trying to claim it as our own? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to that beyond the possibility of denying other access? Can we attack each other's structures? Can we fortify our structures, or make things like walls or little forts for our Batopods to use?
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sun May 11, 2014 8:11 pm

You are spot on about the way the solvents work.

Bases gain no benefit and suffer from no penalty for being located at a resource. Their location is completely fluff.

The Defend action puts a batopod at a location, and has him fight any batopods that try to attack or collect from that resource. Unless there is a defending Batopod, any batopods gathering from the site don't interact with one another.

Fights consist of two rounds, a ranged and melee round for each batopod (see the original post for an example). Typically, one batopod will be injured and retreat. Enough damage can be done for this to kill a batopod, but usually they will just be injured.

The Arena differs from the Examine action slightly. Examine shows the presence of genes, while Arena shows you the relative number of genes between two batopods. So if A has 2 ranged attack genes, and B has one ranged attack gene, then examine would show the same results, but fighting in the arena would tell you that A has more ranged attack than B.

The research lab has significant defenses that you will have to overcome.

Regular Breeding randomly takes nucleotides from each parent (adding in a small amount of mutation). Crossbreeding is significantly different.

Say A's genotype is AAAACCCCGGGGTTTT
and B's genotype is TTTTGGGGCCCCAAAA
If you crossbreed them where A is the right parent and B is the left parent, and a random number generator says that the splice is at position 6. This would mean that the child gets:
From A: AAAACC----------
From B: ------GGCCCCAAAA
So the child is: AAAACCGGCCCCAAA (though it undergoes a small mutation as well).
I'm considering renaming this splicing because that is closer to what it actually is.

All batopods are of the same species. Calling them different types like rabbits or crabs is merely flavor, and at best hints at what traits they have (but no guarantees).

Humans and Batopods do not have any mechanics for combat interaction. Batopods were genetically engineered not to be hostile to most humans. If they did, most batopods would be as dangerous as wild animals are to humans (so most could kill you).

As for PVP for camps, essentially any batopod not tasked with defending another area counts as being defending their home base. Attacking a camp can get you resources, allow you to destroy buildings, maybe steal research....specific goals should be set when you decide to attack. Fortifications are not available at the start, but could be a future research topic.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Mon May 12, 2014 10:59 pm

Should we assume a turn is a day? Or will there be some sort of day/night cycle in the turns that we need to worry about?
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon May 12, 2014 11:38 pm

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:Should we assume a turn is a day? Or will there be some sort of day/night cycle in the turns that we need to worry about?

There is no day/night cycle (or at least none that impacts gameplay). A turn is an abstraction, so a day or a few days is probably accurate.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby Godzfirefly » Tue May 13, 2014 2:04 pm

So, what is the point of the Steam Vents? Will we eventually use those, or are we just automatically assumed to siphon the heat away for our experiments?
Godzfirefly

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Tue May 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Godzfirefly wrote:So, what is the point of the Steam Vents? Will we eventually use those, or are we just automatically assumed to siphon the heat away for our experiments?

I'm guessing as we build up tech and such, we'll be able to build powered structures, like electric fences or something, and we'll need to build power plants on the steam vents to get that power. Just a guess anyway.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games