Erf - The Erftorian Era

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Erf - The Erftorian Era

Postby Harry1991 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:09 am

Imagine an erf where erfrything and erfryone is different. Long past the age of ark and going deep into the turns of Erftoria, Queen of the largest Empire Erf has ever known, holding many separate sides as their Monarch. Wars are fought by rifles and cannons, not stabbers and pikers, and technology has over taken magic in most of the Kingdoms and Twibes of Erf.

For the thousand score turns she has ruled and Erf has been at peace for the last hundred score. All is not well though and Queen Erftoria is ill. Upon croaking each of her many heirs will inherit a side. Will they be friends? will they be allies? Or will the wars begin a new after so long at peace? Only you can decide!

coming soon to a forum near you!
Harry1991

Re: Erf - The Erftorian Era

Postby tigerusthegreat » Thu May 08, 2014 6:56 pm

So.....rules?
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 6/25/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 6/24/2014 (First Page)
Party Raid, a TCG Development Journal Updated 6/24/14
tigerusthegreat

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Thu May 08, 2014 10:23 pm

Must... join... steammagipunk erf game! Or whatever the exact tech level is. I will go make a hat so I can throw it into the ring.

Edit: Also, if that isn't the general theme, I think I know my side's theme already ;)
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Harry1991 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:58 am

rules are coming now :P

Welcome to Erftoria! Home of techno-machines and steam-punk elves with voodoo cannons.

Rules

PREMISE

Erftoria is a cross between steampunk, Diplomacy the board game and Empire Total War. Players take the role of Emperors/Kings/Queens/Empresses of a newly split off kingdom following the death of The greatest Empress Erf has ever known... AKA your mother. The great Empress Erftoria has ruled the known world for thousands of turns in one universal empire, maintaining each side as an independent Kingdom with her as Queen, but now that she is dead (under mysterious circumstances!) her former realms have separated and war comes once again to erf.

SIDE CREATION

Each side begins as a pre-established kingdom. Players will be free to design the particular fluff of the Kingdom to their own likes. I have room for 5 players, in the far flung corners of the Empire. Erf no longer use's 'cities' but instead 'regions' to define things. Each kingdom starts with a similar number of regions but not exactly the same (each kingdom will have hidden advantages, tech level, number of generals etc etc)

Everybody will have 3 Unit Types they can produce in EVERY region those being, militia, line infantry and officers. Upgrading regions allows them to unlock further unit types for creation, such as specials A - D and Generals. These units are customizable as per these rules.

COSTS FOR STAT UPGRADES
Hits: 1 point per 1.5 hits
Attack: 1 point per 1 attack
Defense: 1 point per 1 defense
move: 1 point per 2 move.

Militia (5 extra points) - lowest grade men armed with cheap weapons. Base stats: 3 Hits, 1 Attack, 1 Defense, 2 Move and Home Guard.
Line Infantry (5 extra points) - the standard unit of battle. Base stats 3 Hits, 2 Attack, 2 Defense, 2 Move.
Officers (5 extra points) - minor nobles and those troops who have earned a commission. Base stats: 3 Hits, 2 Attack, 2 Defense, 2 Move, 1 Basic Special (your choice!)

Now specials are entirely different. You design them yourself based on a number of points with no base stats what so ever.

Special A - 15 points (maximum 2 basic specials)
Special B - 15 points (maximum 2 basic specials)
Special C - 20 points (maximum of EITHER 1 advanced special or 2 basic specials)
Special D - 30 points (maximum of EITHER 2 advanced specials or 1 advanced special and 2 basic specials)

Character Units (Your Generals, Engineers and Casters) are different and their stats are randomly assigned upon popping. You should specify when trying to pop them what KIND of character you are hoping for (strong, fast, hardy etc etc etc) and it will be taken into account.

Please remember that this is going to be a steampunkish world where technology is always developing. Additional units will be RESEARCHABLE as the game progresses and just because you start with a small kingdom doesn't mean your going to be overrun immediately because you will have special advantages to help make the game more balanced.

MORE RULES TO FOLLOW LATER.
Last edited by Harry1991 on Sat May 10, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry1991

Postby Harry1991 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:40 am

heres the game map. Players take control of one of the five kingdoms on the outer edge of the former erftorian empire.
Attachments
regional-map.jpg
regional-map.jpg (56.15 KiB) Viewed 474 times
Harry1991

Postby Harry1991 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:07 pm

REGIONS

Each region has several zones and performs a variety of functions depending on its level.

Level 1 regions produce 1000 shmuckers a turn and can produce basic units. They have a 'city' zone, a field zone and an airspace zone.

Level 2 regions produce 2000 shmuckers a turn and can produce basic units and specials A&B Units. They have a fortified city zone, a field zone and an airspace zone.

Level 3 regions produce 3000 shmuckers a turn and can produce basic units, and specials A,B&C Units. They have a Fortified City Zone, A defensive emplacements zone, a field zone and an airspace zone.

Level 4 regions produce 4000 shmuckers a turn and can produce basic units, and specials A,B,C&D Units. They have a Fortified City Zone, 2x defensive emplacements zones, a field zone and an airspace zone.

Level 5 regions produce 5000 shmuckers a turn and can produce basic units, and specials A,B,C&D Units. They can also research new units for production. They have a Heavily Fortified City Zone, 2x defensive emplacements zones, a field zone and an airspace zone.

Upgrading a region costs 5000 shmuckers times by the level you are upgrading to. (EXAMPLE: upgrading to a level 2 zone costs 10,000 shmuckers).

A field zone is the outermost edges of a region, it can be moved into and offers no defense bonuses to defenders. This is the first zone ground based attackers must enter in order to take a region.

Defensive Emplacement Zones represent layers of defenses erected around a regions governing centre. These confer a +1 defense to all defenders using them and must ALL be taken before ground forces can move on to a city zone.

A city zone represents the governing city of the region and offers a +1 defense to all units defending from it. (+2 for fortified city zone, +3 for heavily fortified city zone)

The airspace zone, obviously, represents the airspace above a region. It can be used to attack ANY zone by flying forces and confers no defensive bonuses HOWEVER fliers cannot capture a city zone without ground forces being at least present in the region as well.

It costs 1 move to travel between zones in an enemy region but defending troops may redeploy freely (except if they are in a zone actively engaged in combat)
Harry1991

Postby tigerusthegreat » Fri May 09, 2014 5:40 pm

I'll bite, and claim yellow (unless they are randomly assigned, which might not be a bad idea).

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Fri May 09, 2014 7:02 pm

I want the boot toe! Which I assume is light blue, or maybe just regular blue. Also, are we fighting in Louisiana or something?
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby tigerusthegreat » Fri May 09, 2014 9:02 pm

Alliance, Taikai? we eat out way to the middle and split the boot

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Fri May 09, 2014 9:27 pm

tigerusthegreat wrote:Alliance, Taikai? we eat out way to the middle and split the boot

Sounds good. The soul is mine, you may have the..... non-.... souly parts. Also the toes, I get the toes of course.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby CroverusRaven » Fri May 09, 2014 10:31 pm

This sounds very interesting. And this time I'll play a less negotiable side and crush everyone under my heel.

I want red if that was too subtle and the regions are not randomly assigned.
CroverusRaven

Postby Azure Aaliyah » Fri May 09, 2014 11:14 pm

id like to throw in as purple if there is still space
Azure Aaliyah
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Jacior » Sat May 10, 2014 12:28 am

If uh, no one has bitten onto Green, I might take a swing at this. ((If that's ok))
Jacior

Postby Harry1991 » Sat May 10, 2014 4:37 am

Right, that's 5. You'll all get the colours you requested :) over the next few days ill finish the rules off and pm you each a start pack containing your bonuses and starting tech level etc
Harry1991

Postby Harry1991 » Sat May 10, 2014 1:35 pm

TECHNOLOGY

Right the real meat and gravy of Erftoria is tech development. For this you need 2 things (well... I say that) a level 5 region and an Engineer or Caster. Casters will be able to research new spells of ever increasing potency while engineers can research advanced projects such as new units or even new zones for your regions. The sky is literally the limit.

Research works by PMing me your project. So if you wanted to develop machine rifling which would improve the accuracy of your bullets (so a +1 to attack for all units) you would PM the project to me and I would assign it a scmuckers cost. Now the general rule of thumb is that a project will cost of a minimum of 5,000 scmuckers for something small and 50,000 for something large BUT there are always exceptions to this and there is one big glaring thing I've yet to mention.

You have a 'base tech level' which determines just how advanced your Kingdom is.

These levels are:

-1 Medieval
0 Renaissance
1 Industrial
2 Early Modern
3 Modern
4 Post Modern
5 Futuristic.

A Medieval Kingdom wouldn't have rifles they'd have crossbows and swords, just like a modern society wouldn't have spaceships but they would have tanks. Most Kingdoms start in the Industrial level and will have access to industrial level technologies (NOTE: this does not preclude steampunkish or gaslampish stuff, it just limits it. So at level 1 your giant steam powered robot won't be so effective but at level 5 it would be like titan fall levels of awesome)

Tech levels themselves have a cost of 100,000 scmuckers x the level you are going to (so 500,000 for level 5) and require an engineer to research (though a turnamancer or a carnymancer could in theory be used to hurry the process hint hint)

ALSO worth mentioning is that for every engineer you have on a project the cost will decrease by 5%, this is capped at 25% the cost of the entire project.

EDIT: OH and you can spread the scmuckers out for projects over as many turns as you like. Pay it all in one go and have it next turn or spread it over 10 turns to make the payments less of a drain. Your choice :))
Harry1991

Postby Harry1991 » Sat May 10, 2014 1:54 pm

COMBAT

Combat is very simple in this game. Total attack, as modified by leadership bonuses etc, against total defense, as modified by leadership bonuses etc, with the excess representing 'damage' which is then spread out by the player to his own units (some direction by the game masters may also be given in certain circumstances eg 'a character must die due to heavy losses')

Damage is dealt simultaneously except in certain circumstances (a general with first strike or magic of some kind)

EXAMPLE COMABT

Empire 1 sends 10 line infantry into battle against 10 militia of Empire 2.

Empire 1 Attack: 20
Empire 1 Defense: 20
Empire 1 Hits: 30

Empire 2 Attack: 10
Empire 2 Defense: 10
Empire 2 Hits: 30

So in round 1 of combat The Empire 1 line infantry would deal 10 damage to the militia of empire 2 (their 20 attack v the enemies 10 defense) while the poor empire 2 militia wouldn't even scratch the line infantry one bit. Now heres the part of the game that can be tactical (not in this example though) because the owner of those militia decides how damage is dealt. He can deal 1 damage to each man and still have full defense in the next round (dragging the combat out longer) or he can have some of his weaker units take damage rather then potentially losing his uber unit (again not applicable here).

Generals influence combat based on their level, giving 50% of their level in bonus to attack and defense of all units on his side in the battle (minimum of +1). So running that battle again but with a general on the side of Empire 2 would see a stalemate. INTERESTING to note is that in this era of technology generals did not often fight on the front lines so they themselves do not have combat abilities instead relying on their skill at command to turn the tide of battle, if you choose to send your general into battle he provides 100% of his level as a bonus (and combat power) to his troops but puts himself at risk in the process (so its entirely up to you if you dont want to risk a valued unit or if you take the risk)

Combat is further influenced by the skill of your Field Marshal (chief warlord) who provides a further 50% boost to all units of his side (minimum +1).

So lets run that battle again taking these things into account.

SECOND COMBAT EXAMPLE

Empire 1 has 10 unled line infantry attacking Empire 2's 10 militia and their young general.

Empire 1 Attack: 30 (20+10 from a level 1 field marshal)
Empire 1 Defense: 30 (20+10 from a level 1 field marshal)
Empire 1 Hits: 30

Impressive, i'm sure you;d agree BUT

Empire 2 Attack: 30 (10+10+10, 10 from their stats and 20 from their level 1 general and field marshal)
Empire 2 Defense: 30 (10+10+10, 10 from their stats and 20 from their level 1 general and field marshal)
Empire 2 Hits: 30

So now the combat is a stalemate with neither side being able to advance or claim victory!

Not too shabby for a bunch of militia is it?
Harry1991

Postby Harry1991 » Sat May 10, 2014 2:12 pm

TABLE OF STARTING SPECIALS

More specials can be researched and assigned to units. It takes 1 turn and 100 shmuckers per unit to respec to their new special (yes you can change them IG on a whim though it requires an engineer in your capital region) BUT it renders them useless for that turn. (so if you were going to change your officers from being Home Guard to being Raiders you would need 100 shmuckers per officer and they would all be useless on the turn it is being done)

BASIC SPECIALS - all basic specials,unless otherwise ntoed, cost 2 points

Home Guard - when in a region you control this unit has no upkeep cost.
First Strike - In the first turn of combat this unit gets a special 'pre-battle' round in which it deals damage to the enemy but the enemy is unable to deal damage back. This takes the same format as a regular combat round but has no risk to these units. In the event both sides have first strike units then these units share this pre-combat round just as in regular combat.
Scout - This unit can look into neighboring regions and see the number of units stationed there. It has a 20% chance of seeing veiled troops.
Flying - This unit can fly and may enter airspace zones. (AS THIS GAME USES MUSKETS AND RIFLES ALL UNITS CAN ATTACK FLIERS IN THE AIRSPACE ZONE, but this is at a 50% reduction to attack)
Rider - This unit can ride a mount (gains +1 against unmounted infantry)
Mount - This unit can be mounted. (carries as many passengers as it has hits). If a Unit is mounted then the mount must take damage before the rider.
Anti-Infantry - this unit gains +3 attack against an army containing infantry.
Anti-Mounted - this unit gains +3 attack against an army containing mounted units (flying mounts count)

ADVANCED SPECIALS - all advanced specials unless otherwise noted, cost 4 points.

Tough - This unit will deal damage for a single combat round after it has died.
Heavy - This unit cannot ride mounts but gains +5 to attack and defense and +6 hits.
Basic Caster - This unit can cast from either Shockamancy, Thinkamancy or Foolamancy (level 1 and 2 spells only)
Machine - This unit is a machine. It gains +10 defense and + 5 attack but requires and engineer present in region for it to be constructed.
Disciplined - If stacked with 9 other units of its type this unit (so 10 total) this unit gains +1 to attack and defense.
Raiding Force - This unit can 'raid' while in an enemy regions field zone which generates 10 scmuckers per turn. Raiding takes a whole turn meaning you cannot advance further into the region or retreat.
Last edited by Harry1991 on Sat May 10, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harry1991

Postby Harry1991 » Sat May 10, 2014 2:37 pm

Characters

This game has 4 main types of character

YOU, the sides newly appointed monarch. You are an heir of the greatest empress ever known and despite being popped out here in the backwaters of her empire you know her imperial blood courses through your veins. You count as a General, having the same stats as a one in fact.

General - Your commanders, your warlords. These men and women are fearless and with-out equal... well you know what I mean.
Generals pop with randomized stats. 1D6 for attack and defense, 1 D8 for hits and 3+1D2 for move. They also have a 5% chance of popping with an advanced special or a 20% chance of popping with a basic special. (you get to choose which one from the list of those available)

Engineers - These men are new to Erf. They appeared one day after a thinkamancer, a carnymancer and a dirtamancer linked up in the days of Old Erf. It is said the Carny and the Dirty changed the rules of the whole world introducing technology into erf. Engineers are needed for research and they are needed to construct machine units. They are NOT commanders.

Casters - A dying breed ever since the magic kingdom disappeared but still very valuable. Casters pop in the same manner as Generals and have 1D4 for attack and defense, 1 D6 for hits and 3 for move. They also have a 1% chance of popping with an advanced special or a 10% chance of popping with a basic special. (you get to choose which one from the list of those available) These units are commanders as well (but confer no bonus except on certain troop types) and come with the ability to cast with-in their discipline (a GM will tell you which type of caster you got!). They come with a juice pool of 50.

LEVELING CHARACTERS

When a character (with the exception of engineers who dont have levels) has done something special or has fought/led enough battles they will level. A GM will tell you when this has occurred. Casters gain +10 their juice and access to more powerful spells while generals (and you) gain +1 to attack and defense at each level and a new chance to gain a special.

AN HEIR.

You can choose to pop a General as your heir. They gain no special bonus for this but in doing so you will gain the security of your empire continuing if you meet your untimely death. You may also promote a general to heir for 5,000 shmuckers.
Harry1991

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Sat May 10, 2014 4:40 pm

Very cool. I almost considered taking green, cause it was smaller, so I thought it might have more tech, but I'm happy with my boot toe for now.

I think the Disciplined special needs to be changed. Right now it gives 2 points worth of conditional bonus for a 4 point special. You'd be better off taking those four points and just increasing attack and defense by 2 each. I'll keep my thoughts on the others quiet since others may see them differently, but this one is a simple math comparison to show it is clearly inferior to any alternative. Now, if it was +3 attack and defense.....

I thought I saw a limit on the number of units/stacks in a given region, but now I can't find it. Is there a limit of any kind?

Can the 3 basic units get specials at all? Do we design our units now as a side, or as we build them, since you indicated we can trade out specials on the fly, or is that only after they've been popped? If we design them now, should we post them here and now, or wait till we learn what our side's advantages are which might have a bearing on how we design our units?

How much is upkeep on the various units? How long do they take to pop?

Okay, enough questions for now. Time to go back to planning the takeover of Louisiania.

Edit: What exactly is the benefit of having a higher tech level? I mean, plenty of thematic differences obviously, with using a gun vs a crossbow, or a steam tank vs a hover tank, but does that translate into some flat stat bonus or what?

Edit2: Does the 50% attack reduction on flying units only count if they don't fight back, or is it always present vs non-flying units?
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sun May 11, 2014 8:24 pm

When is the game officially starting? I need to read over all of this.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Next

Return to Your Games