Foolamasters (Erf Card Game)

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Foolamasters (Erf Card Game)

Postby Overdroid » Tue May 27, 2014 4:38 pm

I'm creating an entry here to discuss my Erf card game submission so as not to clutter up that forum.

NEW VERSION! Updated 6/3/2014

Spoiler: show
Foolamastery
A game for 3 or 4 people and 1 or 2 decks of cards.

Some Terms:
WARLORD: The current player.
FOOLAMANCY: The face up card in front of each player. May never be a JOKER.
TRUTH: The face down card in front of each player.
TARGET: The sought after card played by a WARLORD each turn face up in the middle of the table. May never be a JOKER.
AGENDA: The card chosen by each player at the beginning of the game and placed aside. The suit and number of this card will have an effect on their score.

BACKGROUND:

Several ERF sides were once at war, and each one fielded a master foolamancer. After the battle was over and one side stood victorious, some said that the Rulers in this great war had been manipulated by the Foolamancers they had employed, and that the real battle was amongst these Casters, to discover which one was the true Foolamaster!

GOAL:

To capture as many cards as possible. Each card is worth 1 victory point. Each card that is the same suit as your AGENDA is worth 2 victory points. Each card that is the same number as your AGENDA is worth 3 victory points.

If a player has a JOKER as their AGENDA, they ONLY score points if they have the LEAST number of points (otherwise the player with the most points wins). All cards captured by a player with a JOKER as their AGENDA are worth 3 points. If two players with a JOKER AGENDA tie, neither wins.

STARTING THE GAME:

Leave the JOKERS in. Shuffle the DECK. If you would like a longer game, Shuffle TWO decks together. Note that JOKERS can never be played as FOOLAMANCY or TARGET cards.

Each player is dealt a hand of 3 cards. The player who looks most different today from how they normally look goes first. This player is known as the WARLORD. When their turn is over the next player becomes the WARLORD.

Each player chooses a secret card from their hand known as their AGENDA. They look at it, note its suit and number to themselves, and put it away to the side away from the play area. A good layout is to put all cards CAPTURED by each player face up so all other players can see them, beneath or near the AGENDA.

Each player puts their other two cards into the play area. One FACE UP, called the FOOLAMANCY, and one FACE DOWN beneath it, called the TRUTH. Note that the FOOLAMANCY can NEVER be a JOKER.

Each player draws back up to 3.

PLAYING THE GAME:

- The current player (THE WARLORD) may (if they want to) discard their current FOOLAMANCY and replace it with a card from their hand.
- The WARLORD then plays a card from their hand FACE UP in the middle of the play area. This card is known as the TARGET. The TARGET may NOT be a JOKER.
- The WARLORD then turns to each player starting with the player CLOCKWISE from them and asks if they would like to challenge for the TARGET.
- If NO ONE challenges, the WARLORD captures the card they played.
- Only ONE other player may challenge (the first player to do so), once that challenge is resolved, the turn is over.

At the END of every turn ALL players replace any FOOLAMANCY or TRUTH cards they may have lost during the turn AND THEN draw back up to three cards, starting with the WARLORD and going CLOCKWISE.

CHALLENGING:
If a player challenges the WARLORD for the TARGET, then the WARLORD can do one of two things.
1. GIVE IN: The TARGET card is CAPTURED by the player that challenged.
2. CALL THEIR BLUFF: The challenging player reveals their TRUTH and the challenge is resolved like this:

The WARLORD’S Score is equal to their TARGET card plus the WARLORD’S FOOLAMANCY card.
The CHALLENGER’S score is equal to the CHALLENGER’S FOOLAMANCY card + the CHALLENGER’S TRUTH card.

With these caveats:
ACES are worth 1, KINGS are worth 11, QUEENS are worth 12 and JACKS are worth 13.
A pair is equal to the value of ONE of that pair + 13.
I.E 2 Aces are worth 14. Two JACKS are worth 26
A JOKER and any card is equal to 26 (the value of 2 JACKS) + the value of that card.
Ties always go to the WARLORD.

If the WARLORD has a HIGHER SCORE or EQUAL score, the WARLORD captures the TARGET and another card - either the CHALLENGER’S FOOLAMANCY or the WARLORD’S FOOLAMANCY - the WARLORD decides which.
If the CHALLENGER has a HIGHER SCORE (but not EQUAL), the CHALLENGER captures the TARGET and either the CHALLENGER’S FOOLAMANCY or the WARLORD’S FOOLAMANCY - the CHALLENGER decides which.

Note that TRUTH cards are never captured, and JOKERS are never captured (they can only be played as TRUTH or AGENDA cards)

At the end of the challenge the CHALLENGER discards their FOOLAMANCY (unless it has been captured) and their TRUTH. They then replace these cards from their hand.
If the WARLORD’S FOOLAMANCY card has been captured they replace it with a card from their hand. Otherwise it remains.

Only AFTER these cards are replaced do players draw back up to 3.

ENDING THE GAME:
Play until a player ends a turn with less than 3 cards and can’t draw any more because the deck is exhausted. Reveal AGENDA cards and score the game.
Last edited by Overdroid on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Overdroid
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Re: Foolamasters (Erf Card Game)

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Tue May 27, 2014 7:37 pm

As I expressed on the other thread, my only major concern is that people will always challenge for the target. Either because their cards are good, and they think they'll win, or because their cards are bad, and they want a chance to replace them. They really don't stand to lose much of anything by challenging, even if they lose, because win or lose, they lose the cards in front of them. About the only time they wouldn't challenge would be if they had a very high card as their Foolamancy, and a low card as their Truth, and wanted to keep their good Foolamancy for when they are Warlord.

It's also important to note that people can't change their cards at all (either in play, or in their hand) without a challenge occurring (or the end of the round), which means there is quite a bit of stagnation, and really nothing at all for half the players to do.

P.S.
This game has a 5 person limit with only 1 deck of cards.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Overdroid » Tue May 27, 2014 7:46 pm

Takkei. Yep. Those are all good points and I am certainly noodling them. I'm hoping I can get my game group or at least a few nerds together to test this version (and some permeations) soon.

One thought is that each player has a pile of NEGATIVE cards that score against their points. Challenging (or losing a challenge) forces you to play into this pile. Maybe players could play into this pile to redraw their hand or change their Foolamancy/Truth cards.

RIght now I like the complexity level, and I'm trying hard not to add too any new rules, which a negative score stack would do... Hmmm...
Overdroid

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Tue May 27, 2014 8:35 pm

Don't remember if I suggested it or not, but one possibility is that if a person challenges and loses, the Warlord also gets to blind pick one of the cards from the loser's hand. This adds more of a penalty for challenging and losing, and also makes it so that you might lose your good card that you wanted to replace. To give people a chance to switch things up still, any time they don't challenge, let them discard either their truth or foolamancy, and replace it with a card from their hand, or discard a card from their hand and draw a new one (and if someone challenges, everyone who hasn't already passed can do this as well.)

These tweaks should give more risk to challenging, and create an incentive to not challenge, as well as making sure everyone at least gets to do a little something each turn.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Overdroid » Tue May 27, 2014 9:43 pm

Yes! You did suggest that on the other thread, and it's also a good idea.
Overdroid

Postby Overdroid » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:38 pm

So I finally had a chance to playtest with my group and I've updated for the final version here. We played with 3, but the principle of the game should still work with 4. Probably you would want 2 decks of cards if you play with 4 people.

Taikei - based on our play of the game the extra card captured by an opponent (and thus an extra score for them) was enough incentive for people to think very carefully about challenging. The first player definitely didn't always challenge, and several times no one challenged. There are plenty of surprises possible with the face down card. Also the game plays pretty fast, so there was very little stagnation, instead you have to think ahead when placing your FOOLAMANCY and TRUTH cards. I'm actually really happy with the way the game works.

Also we surprisingly had a JOKER come up twice as an AGENDA in the games we played. Which is why cards captured by a player with a JOKER agenda are worth 3 points. If the Joker is very sneaky and has a good game face, they can win, but if people guess you are a JOKER they just have to pass on a couple TARGETS to mess up your plan. Unless you were only pretending to have a JOKER...
Overdroid

Return to Your Games