RP tools

Your campaigns, your favorite systems, and gaming news.

RP tools

Postby malekith » Sun May 10, 2009 10:49 am

Just thought it'd be nice to plug this brilliant set of free, open source (I believe not a programmer meself so don't know) software tools for running Pen and Paper RPGs.
link:
http://www.rptools.net/
about:
just a little bit about them really, it's better for you to check the site than read this rubbish.
RPtools is essentially a VTT (virtual tabletop) system that allows GMs to run their games either face to face with a little enhancement or even remotely (as long as the players have access to computer with the tools and internet obviously :P). They include a brilliant tool called MapTool, which simulates pretty much anything you want it to and they're working on including/improving features constantly. MapTool allows you to create a map, place your token/minitures on it (if you so wish) run around it and interact on all levels - including vision blocking! then you connect your players (if you're online) and away you go with the campaign. The forums have a wealth of knowledge and content for the tools and even just for the general RPG gamer/GM there's a lot of discussion going on. I would definitely recomend this software above any free software and well on par with any commercial software, it trumps any VTT i have seen anywhere else and can hold character sheets and automate battle systems as good as any character sheet software, with the right macros (sets are available pre-coded and easily d/led and installed on the forums). They also have indepth dice rollers and intiative tools for use out of MT (more for face to face games) among other things, but what's in their main tools is just as good for gaming and is always being improved.
so that's all the babble i can think of right now, go and check the site and forums and tutorials for more info on these amazing tools!

Mal
malekith

Re: RP tools

Postby jioan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:48 pm

I tried visiting the site and got an error. I don't know if it was me or the site, but I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.
jioan

Postby Prometheus » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:02 pm

I'm getting an error, too. The site won't load.
The first step to being right all of the time is to admit that you're wrong most of the time.
Prometheus

Postby jioan » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:26 pm

I tried again and it worked for some reason. I downloaded Maptool and got really confused. I'll probably watch the tutorial videos soon.
jioan

Postby malekith » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:44 pm

if you guys need help just pm me and i'll see what i can do for you

M
malekith

Return to General Gaming