Battle for Wesnoth

Your campaigns, your favorite systems, and gaming news.

Battle for Wesnoth

Postby tribble » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:27 pm

So I found this game in the "best strategy games" thread and downloaded it today, instant addict. however, after I got frustrated with one of the missions I deleted all my saves and tried to start a new campaign. I get an error message telling me that the programming is missing a closing bracket. Now I can't even restart the campaign I deleted.
-can I fix this? or do I need to delete the entire game and reinstall?
- Is the deletion of my save files related to this?
-If not, what would have caused this?

those who are not programmers can feel free to discuss the game here also.
tribble
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Battle for Wesnoth

Postby Ferrous » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:57 pm

It was probably an error on the coding on their part - it's an open-sourced program, and can be prone to errors. Did you download the stable version or the development version?
"Those who live in fear deserve what they get." -Ivan Moldavi
Marooner | Banjoist | Mapamancer
Ferrous
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: Battle for Wesnoth

Postby chrono » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:45 am

tribble wrote:So I found this game in the "best strategy games" thread and downloaded it today, instant addict. however, after I got frustrated with one of the missions I deleted all my saves and tried to start a new campaign. I get an error message telling me that the programming is missing a closing bracket. Now I can't even restart the campaign I deleted.
-can I fix this? or do I need to delete the entire game and reinstall?
- Is the deletion of my save files related to this?
-If not, what would have caused this?

those who are not programmers can feel free to discuss the game here also.


Did you delete the saves from inside the game or did you remove any files manually? Either way, reinstalling will likely be the fastest solution and you don't lose anything since you already removed the saves.
As you're using the game it means the program is built (so you don't have access to the code and brackets aren't an issue at this point) this probably means that this is a problem with one of the campaigns - either the original one or if you've downloaded any of the user-submitted ones. You can try deleting and re-downloading any campaigns you have.

Anyway, an old open project like Wesnoth is actually a lot less likely to have overlooking mistakes like a "missing bracket problem" than a cheap commercial game.
I Am A: True Neutral Human Sorcerer (4th Level)
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
User avatar
chrono
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Battle for Wesnoth

Postby tribble » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:29 pm

chrono wrote:
tribble wrote:So I found this game in the "best strategy games" thread and downloaded it today, instant addict. however, after I got frustrated with one of the missions I deleted all my saves and tried to start a new campaign. I get an error message telling me that the programming is missing a closing bracket. Now I can't even restart the campaign I deleted.
-can I fix this? or do I need to delete the entire game and reinstall?
- Is the deletion of my save files related to this?
-If not, what would have caused this?

those who are not programmers can feel free to discuss the game here also.


Did you delete the saves from inside the game or did you remove any files manually? Either way, reinstalling will likely be the fastest solution and you don't lose anything since you already removed the saves.
As you're using the game it means the program is built (so you don't have access to the code and brackets aren't an issue at this point) this probably means that this is a problem with one of the campaigns - either the original one or if you've downloaded any of the user-submitted ones. You can try deleting and re-downloading any campaigns you have.

Anyway, an old open project like Wesnoth is actually a lot less likely to have overlooking mistakes like a "missing bracket problem" than a cheap commercial game.


No, I tried to start a different campaign altogether. when that didnt work, I tried to start the same campaign I had canceled, and that didnt work either.

I deleted the files from inside the game. I don't delete game stuff manually if there's an in-program method to delete it.
tribble
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Battle for Wesnoth

Postby Skystriker » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:05 pm

Did you download add-on campaigns? I haven't had an actual error with a mainline campaign with Wesnoth in -years-. They're quite professional.

Add-on campaigns, of course, are totally nonvouched. I'd say 80% of them don't work properly (but the 20% that pop up at the top are generally pretty legit :D)
Skystriker
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: Battle for Wesnoth

Postby Skystriker » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:41 pm

Well, since the topic's here already:

What is everyone's favorite campaign in 'noth?

I'd have to say my favorite mainline campaign is UtBS (Under the Burning Suns). Just excellently written, and rather challenging (to me at least) on the most difficult setting).

For UMC, I'd have to say the Ooze Campaign. Every map is so interesting, and so unlike any mainline campaign or the other maps (with the possible exception of the second map, which I recall is somewhat more routine).


If you play multiplayer, do you use the ladder? What's your preferred style? I'm a 1v1 fan myself, and would be totally willing to throw down with any Erfworlder :3. I'm a bit rusty since I haven't been playing much for the past couple years, but I'd totally head back :D
Skystriker
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: Battle for Wesnoth

Postby tribble » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:21 pm

Skystriker wrote:Well, since the topic's here already:

What is everyone's favorite campaign in 'noth?

I'd have to say my favorite mainline campaign is UtBS (Under the Burning Suns). Just excellently written, and rather challenging (to me at least) on the most difficult setting).

For UMC, I'd have to say the Ooze Campaign. Every map is so interesting, and so unlike any mainline campaign or the other maps (with the possible exception of the second map, which I recall is somewhat more routine).


If you play multiplayer, do you use the ladder? What's your preferred style? I'm a 1v1 fan myself, and would be totally willing to throw down with any Erfworlder :3. I'm a bit rusty since I haven't been playing much for the past couple years, but I'd totally head back :D

I like Liberty. that guy is just incredibly badass, like one the level of Kamina. what other PC has the cojones to tell a necromancer they're scum to their face in a diplomatic meeting?

EDIT: I reinstalled the game.
tribble
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Battle for Wesnoth

Postby Skystriker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:19 pm

New stable version out! 1.8 is pretty rockin :D
Skystriker
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: Battle for Wesnoth

Postby SteveMB » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:06 pm

(posted by Aster Azul on another thread where it is off-topic)


Just wanted to pitch in and say that WESNOTH IS GRATE.

I made a topic about finding a good multiplay analogue of Warcraft II, and this was recommended to me. I was skeptical at first, and I still don't like the campaigns. But I'm in love with the animations and the multiplayer. This is hands-down the best multiplay computer strategy game for me, especially given an abyssmal slow internet connection. The game is turn-based but very fast-paced, and has a chess clock, so you can get action without having to worry about losing because of a hiccup in the connection.

Also, the game very much rewards long-term planning and strategy over micromanagement. Micromanagement will be able to win you scuffles, but you can also win the gane with a clever strategy, especially on bigger maps. Wonderful game. Damn, now I really wanna play it.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
User avatar
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:12 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Battle for Wesnoth

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue May 04, 2010 2:14 pm

Wesnoth is okay, but that's mostly because it's free.

I hate the way large battles become absolutely tedious, what with having to command a ton of units one by one. Not cool.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
User avatar
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 am

Re: Battle for Wesnoth

Postby Skystriker » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:25 pm

Generally that only happens in certain campaigns; there are a number of smaller size ones. Unfortunately, they're also often the easiest. If you want a pretty tough campaign without tons of units, try Descent Into Darkness for one.
Skystriker
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:03 pm


Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest