outbox vs sent?

Something not look right? Please explain in detail.

outbox vs sent?

Postby Doktor Jones » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:30 am

I've sent someone a PM; however, it has taken up residence in the outbox, rather than the sent folder. Even when I edit and resubmit the message, it remains in the outbox.

Does the message remain here until it's read (and thus permit editing), or do I need to do something to actually get the message off to its intended recipient?
Doktor Jones
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Re: outbox vs sent?

Postby Ichthus » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:36 am

Yeah, it doesn't pop into the sent box until the other party has received it. This is a nice little way you can tell if they've read it.
Ichthus

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:00 pm

Bump, because I have the same problem of my Outbox bogarting the PMs.

This is confusing (emphasis mine):

Ichthus wrote:Yeah, it doesn't pop into the sent box until the other party has received it. This is a nice little way you can tell if they've read it.

Are you saying that until the message is not clicked on in the receiver's inbox, then it stays in the outbox? Because I could interpret "receive" as the message being written to whatever chunk of database represents the receiver's Inbox, regardless of whether they are even online, let alone read it. I don't know how the scripting works, it's not impossible that clicking on the send button does not send it immediately.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby atteSmythe » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:47 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Are you saying that until the message is not clicked on in the receiver's inbox, then it stays in the outbox? Because I could interpret "receive" as the message being written to whatever chunk of database represents the receiver's Inbox, regardless of whether they are even online, let alone read it. I don't know how the scripting works, it's not impossible that clicking on the send button does not send it immediately.

Correct. Unlike email, the message stays within the same system. There's no delay between pressing send and the message being sent - once the recipient opens the mail, it moves from your outbox to your sent items folder.

Given that it works differently than email, it's unfortunate that phpBB uses the same terminology, but it is what it is.
atteSmythe

Return to Bug Reports