Page by page discussion of the comic.

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby balder » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:51 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby Fjord » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:55 am

<3 Charlie :D

So, I guess the question: "Is Fate an active force" will be answered soon enough.
Epic update overall
Fjord

Postby 0beron » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:05 am

Oooooooh my!!!!
Interesting update, and for the rules-catalogers among us, this serves as a very good solid confirmation that Disabanding CAN consciously be done at-will by a Ruler...but also tells us that (given the fact we know Jillian lives) some things can block/interfere with that, perhaps the same way that the auto-disbanding doesn't always kick in if a unit believes it is acting in accord to Duty over Obedience.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Morni » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:08 am

Jillian might refuse to disband, because her duty compels her to proctect her father/side from the "hard reality" of the erfworld.
Morni

Postby Amado » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:10 am

What rejection could hurt worse to an Erfworlder than to be disbanded by your own father?

I say, Jillian has good reason to hate her dear departed daddy.
Amado

Postby fehler » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:12 am

A misdirect. He disbanded the gwiffon, nothing more.
fehler

Postby kravechocolate » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:16 am

Rob, can you just write these all day? Your writing is superb and sometimes I think it is even better without pictures, as it allows my imagination to fill in what I'm reading.

We know Jillian doesn't disband, so it looks grim for Olive. Charlie seems keen on not letting any information about his mysterious past get out, at any cost. I Predict that Charlie is the one who sets up the unlikely conditions for Stanley to swoop in and conquer FAQ, to snuff out the knowledge of Olive and her relationship to Charlescomm.
kravechocolate

Postby 0beron » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:17 am

fehler wrote:A misdirect. He disbanded the gwiffon, nothing more.

Ooooooh yes good catch, that's certainly possible. Still confirms the at-will disbanding order so that's meaningful at least.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Vorteks » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:28 am

Ah, very smart. That hadn't occurred to me, but now that you mention it it seems likely. Sizemore seemed to think it was ridiculous when Parson suggested that Stanley couldn't disband him. Based on that, I doubt Banhammer could fail to disband Jillian if he decided to do so. He's probably disbanding something else.
Vorteks
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Whispri » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:42 am

Well that was unexpected.

It could be he's going for the mount, but how would that save Olive from Gillian? It shows where she gets her evil from in anycase, he's either trying to execute his own daughter of performing a mock execution on of her, either way...
Last edited by Whispri on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:44 am

Vorteks wrote:Sizemore seemed to think it was ridiculous when Parson suggested that Stanley couldn't disband him.

Fate has done some pretty wonky/remarkable things to preserve it's precious units, so I would definitely believe it if Parson and Jillian could both defy a direct Disband order, the former because of the Spell, and the latter through force of will/Fate shenanigans. But yes, I agree it's prolly the Gwiffon he's hitting. Enforces his point, and saves some upkeep so he could potentially justify paying Charlie.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Fjord » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:47 am

Ooooooooh, spoilers!
Fjord

Postby roninpanda » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:52 am

I disagree that Banhammer was disbanding the mount. This update shows that some units can ignore a disbanding. This means that when the tool threatens to disband Parson in the beginning of book 1, Stanley probably doesn't have the power/authority.
You are in what may be the worst, most Titans-forsaken place in all of Erfworld,” said Judy. “This is the Olive Garden.”
roninpanda

Postby 0beron » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:56 am

I think that if he really IS trying to disband her and she shakes it off, that could have very scary/dangerous implications. Namely, it would be unshakable proof that she believes completely that she is following her Duty above Obedience, and that her father just took actions that are directly opposing the side's survival. It would be grounds to justify some patricide of her own.
I think a unit as old as Banhammer would know it's possible to resist a disband order, and since he knows Jillian's mind and stubbornness, I don't think he'd even try it, given the possible consequences of her very probably refusal.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Mikalyaran » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:56 am

You know...I wonder what sort of "resolution" Banhammer thinks Charlie is talking about! I really dont understand how after Charlie has pretty much said he's not going to tell Banhammer anything Banhammer needs to know to make his verdict, and then follows up by offering to come in and save her bacon (for a very steep non-schmuckers fee in the end I think), Banhammer can justify his choices.

And does disbanding her mount really acheive what Bnahammer wants? That just puts her sword closer to olives neck once Jillian lands with Olives beneath her.
Last edited by Mikalyaran on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikalyaran
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby pseudoboo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:00 am

he killed her mount
pseudoboo

Postby arkerpay » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:08 am

A flaming beam will fall from the ceiling, knocking Banhammer unconscious.
arkerpay

Postby M.A.D » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:10 am

Amado wrote:What rejection could hurt worse to an Erfworlder than to be disbanded by your own father?

That would be the rejection towards the father when his disbandment of the daughter didn't work.
M.A.D

Postby Whispri » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:13 am

I've said it before, but all information relating to the fall of Faq comes either from Wanda or from people who've come within range of her ability to rewrite their memories. Perhaps this is, in truth, where Banhammer dies, croaked in defence of Gillian. Wanda would do it, I'm sure. And this really is the perfect set up for Banhammer to fall over dead.

There's also retconjury to consider.

Actually, Gillian's an heir right? Well maybe rulers simply can't disband heirs on a whim? Banhammer's never really seemed that bright and there could easily be loopholes he's never heard of.
Whispri

Postby Xarx » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:19 am

Disbanding the mount has the immediate effect of freeing Olive from suffocation. It also makes Jillian fall, which as we know could injure, incapacitate, or even croak her. Of course we know the latter won't happen, but Banhammer doesn't.
Xarx

Next

Return to Reactions