Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby Lilwik » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:29 am

ManaCaster wrote:Why doesn't the farming option work? If dying in battle or not getting enough upkeep from other sides is the only way for casters die, then why hasn't the Magic Kingdom built up a large army of farming Florists over the many centuries?
It might actually be possible for that to happen, especially with Dirtamancers building more Magic Kingdom, but even Hippiemancers are Erfworlders and that probably causes them to get themselves croaked often enough by going out into various battles and working for dying sides. They probably hope to keep people from being croaked unnecessarily, but in order to do that they need to be on the battlefield. Perhaps all casters take jobs outside of the Magic Kingdom and eventually croak.

On the other hand, maybe Dirtamancy doesn't have the power to turn ocean into land, so even if the casters were inclined to play it safe they still couldn't exceed a certain maximum population. Dirtamancers are mere mortals, not Titans, so there must be some limits to their power.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby WarFAN » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:58 am

On the other hand, maybe Dirtamancy doesn't have the power to turn ocean into land, so even if the casters were inclined to play it safe they still couldn't exceed a certain maximum population. Dirtamancers are mere mortals, not Titans, so there must be some limits to their power.


Dirtamancy cannot change the type of terrain without a Trimancer Link. Sizemore told Parson that changing the terrain type of Gobwin Knob -something he didn't think possible- made him feel "like the Titans themselves".
WarFAN
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:39 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby ManaCaster » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:25 pm

WarFAN wrote:
On the other hand, maybe Dirtamancy doesn't have the power to turn ocean into land, so even if the casters were inclined to play it safe they still couldn't exceed a certain maximum population. Dirtamancers are mere mortals, not Titans, so there must be some limits to their power.


Dirtamancy cannot change the type of terrain without a Trimancer Link. Sizemore told Parson that changing the terrain type of Gobwin Knob -something he didn't think possible- made him feel "like the Titans themselves".

First of all, he changed an extinct volcano hex into an inactive volcano hex with lava pools. Sounds pretty advanced. Second of all, "like the Titans" could just refer to the sheer scale of the work, modifying the entire hex with a single spell. Tunnels don't disappear when you dig them. Sizemore could probably gradually convert a mountain hex to a grass hex or vice versa on his own given enough time. The only way to stop him would be for there to be some rule saying "the amount of Erf cannot go outside of a certain range before the hex resets". And even if such a rule does exist, they could still expand the Magic Kingdom quite a bit with a series of rafts to put their farms on. Nothing short of a barrier is going to stop the Magic Kingdom from expanding if they have the need. And, while our knowledge of the Magic Kingdom is still pretty limited, it doesn't sound like they're experiencing a population pressure problem, so they probably haven't had the need.
ManaCaster
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:06 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:27 pm

As for feeding the Magic Kingdom.. Fishing is a viable way to get rations as I recall. They're surrounded by hex upon hex of water and have all the casters they need to harvest the sea for provisions. (I wonder if they can make underwater farms? Aquaflorists!)

And this is besides the military industrial complex that I'm certain the Dollamancers and Mathmancers are running.
Jabberwocky
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby bladestorm » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:36 pm

Charlie may not want all of Erfworld united because the Dish has expanded his mind to the point that he understands how the Titans made Erfworld and for what purpose. The rules aren't set up for resource management, just for turn-based warfare. Trying to change that would be against the will of the Titans.
bladestorm
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby Lilwik » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:42 pm

bladestorm wrote:Trying to change that would be against the will of the Titans.
I would be very surprised if the will of the Titans is important to Charlie. I rather suspect that suddenly exposing a Carnymancer to the most powerful Eyemancy in the world was a great shock that made Charlie open his eyes to the fact that Erfworld is full of people that he dislikes.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby 0beron » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:40 pm

Lilwik wrote:...a great shock that made Charlie open his eyes to the fact that Erfworld is full of people that he dislikes.

Soooo...he found 4-chan?
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3159
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby zilfallon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:47 am

0beron wrote:
Lilwik wrote:...a great shock that made Charlie open his eyes to the fact that Erfworld is full of people that he dislikes.

Soooo...he found 4-chan?


That would youtube rather than 4-chan, I guess.
rkyeun wrote:Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

Image
User avatar
zilfallon
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:47 am
Location: Magic Kingdom

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby mortissimus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:07 am

Do we have any indication of how old Erfworld is? Could be just that the Magic Kingdom has not filled up yet, or that it is sufficiently large that it won't during Erfworlds lifespan (however long that might be).
mortissimus
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:04 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby 0beron » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:11 am

mortissimus wrote:Do we have any indication of how old Erfworld is?

Yeah, it's really old. Wanda and the old FAQ casters are definitely very old personally, and it was mentioned that Banhammer had been alive for so long that any sides who once knew him had long since fallen. I think the term "thousands of turns" was even used to describe how long ago that was.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3159
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby drachefly » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 pm

So, at least 6 years old.
User avatar
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby Tathar » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Zeku wrote:Im pretty sure that "Charlie wants endless war" is just a forum speculation, it has not been confirmed in comic, and only recently hinted at. The only thing we've heard in-comic (from Olive) is that Charlie is no longer interested in Peace on Erf.

As the leader of a mercenary side, Charlie is dependent on war to fund his side. World peace would leave him without a means to fund his (expensive) units' upkeep. Charlie doesn't just want endless war, he needs it.
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby Mikalyaran » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:06 pm

It would be interesing to get an idea of the average turn-span of an Erfworlder. I think the only popand croak dates we have are for Merika Neagle of FAQ from her memorial.

http://www.erfworld.com/2012/09/inner-p ... isode-043/
User avatar
Mikalyaran
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:03 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby ftl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:44 pm

Tathar wrote:
Zeku wrote:Im pretty sure that "Charlie wants endless war" is just a forum speculation, it has not been confirmed in comic, and only recently hinted at. The only thing we've heard in-comic (from Olive) is that Charlie is no longer interested in Peace on Erf.

As the leader of a mercenary side, Charlie is dependent on war to fund his side. World peace would leave him without a means to fund his (expensive) units' upkeep. Charlie doesn't just want endless war, he needs it.


Well, recent updates have shown us that he wanted world peace at one point, but then abandoned that idea - BEFORE he became a mercenary.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby Tathar » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Lilwik wrote:On the other hand, maybe Dirtamancy doesn't have the power to turn ocean into land, so even if the casters were inclined to play it safe they still couldn't exceed a certain maximum population. Dirtamancers are mere mortals, not Titans, so there must be some limits to their power.

Well, there was the whole volcano uncroaking thing, and there's no reason why we can't have underground volcanoes. It needed a tri-link, but it proves that casters are capable of changing a hex type.
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby Tathar » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:16 pm

ftl wrote:
Tathar wrote:
Zeku wrote:Im pretty sure that "Charlie wants endless war" is just a forum speculation, it has not been confirmed in comic, and only recently hinted at. The only thing we've heard in-comic (from Olive) is that Charlie is no longer interested in Peace on Erf.

As the leader of a mercenary side, Charlie is dependent on war to fund his side. World peace would leave him without a means to fund his (expensive) units' upkeep. Charlie doesn't just want endless war, he needs it.


Well, recent updates have shown us that he wanted world peace at one point, but then abandoned that idea - BEFORE he became a mercenary.

The thing is, the Charlie and Endless War thing has to do with Charlie as the mercenary ruler, not before. As a mercenary ruler, he is dependent upon war to obtain customers for his business. Therefore, peace as anything more than an alliance to fight a common enemy is a threat to his business. If his business fails, he either finds a new means of supporting himself, or he goes bankrupt and units start disbanding from lack of upkeep. This mercenary thing is pretty much the only thing he's good at, and it keeps him in the shadows. Of course Charlie's going to act in his own best interest, so of course Charlie's going to try and sabotage any attempt at world peace.

Before he became a mercenary, Charlie may have been interested in other things. But that's not the Charlie we're talking about.
Beeskee wrote:I was reluctant to assume Charlie was the Wizard, since it seems like if a butterfly farts in an unmapped hex, we're all ready to assume it's somehow part of Charlie's grand schemes to control the wind or whatever.
Tathar
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:58 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby GWvsJohn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Tathar wrote:Well, there was the whole volcano uncroaking thing, and there's no reason why we can't have underground volcanoes. It needed a tri-link, but it proves that casters are capable of changing a hex type.


They're capable of it, but I doubt they'd ever think of it. It took Parson to come up with that idea. I think a big "point" of the comic is that Erfworlders are capable of a lot more than they realize, but only Parson thinks of that sort of thing.
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby Lipkin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:37 pm

Tathar wrote:The thing is, the Charlie and Endless War thing has to do with Charlie as the mercenary ruler, not before. As a mercenary ruler, he is dependent upon war to obtain customers for his business. Therefore, peace as anything more than an alliance to fight a common enemy is a threat to his business. If his business fails, he either finds a new means of supporting himself, or he goes bankrupt and units start disbanding from lack of upkeep. This mercenary thing is pretty much the only thing he's good at, and it keeps him in the shadows. Of course Charlie's going to act in his own best interest, so of course Charlie's going to try and sabotage any attempt at world peace.

Before he became a mercenary, Charlie may have been interested in other things. But that's not the Charlie we're talking about.
You are wrong. Charlie abandoned his dreams of peace when he got the Arkendish, and then began withdrawing. This was even before he founded Charlescom. Olive even said he was an amazing Overlord, matching wits with two other powerful sides and winning. Being a mercenary is not the only thing he's good at. He's a merc by choice, but could be a standard Ruler if he wanted to.

He doesn't want endless war to sustain himself as a mercenary. The desire for endless war came before that.
User avatar
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 am

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby Lilwik » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Lipkin wrote:You are wrong. Charlie abandoned his dreams of peace when he got the Arkendish, and then began withdrawing. This was even before he founded Charlescom. Olive even said he was an amazing Overlord, matching wits with two other powerful sides and winning.
Are you citing Olive as a reliable source while she testifies for her life? I prefer to trust Wanda's version of the story, but I'm not sure that even Wanda is entirely honest. Wanda might be trying to take the easy way with Fate by fudging the facts. We really don't know that there ever were any dreams of peace.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 069

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:21 pm

"There wasn’t even time for her to cry out. She made no sounds now, either."

*shakes trees* Perhaps Jillian just ganked a foolamancy Olive. Though I have no idea why Jack do such a thing or how Olive could've pulled it off.

What a tweest! Olive was foolamancy this entire time!
Jabberwocky
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Daefaroth, Google [Bot], kefkakrazy and 14 guests