Summer Update - 036

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Summer Update - 036

Postby balder » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:05 am

New one is up. All of these will eventually get guest art.
balder

Re: Summer Update - 036

Postby cloudbreaker » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:17 am

Jack is such a pimp. :P
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Zolon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:23 am

He is too.

Interesting update, not as much information as the last few, but it's nice to see Jack again.

Parson has a staff. Only a matter of time before he ditches the armor for some kind of robe.
Zolon

Postby KiltedNinja » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:33 am

Nice :)

Good to see that nothing untoward has befallen Jack. Everything at GK seems to be ticking over nicely..

So, 3 turns since the last update, 7 turns since poor Wrigley pined for his spear.. A lot can happen in 7 turns - I'm wondering how many more cities Wanda & Co have decimated... Bound to be a few by now. Word has likely spread to the rest of Erfworld about these events, perhaps we'll see some decisive retalliation soon..

Edit:
Yeah jack does seem to have that pimp thing going for him... for some reason though when reading Jack's description, I got an image of the illustrious Willy Wonka.. I'm unsure why.

(And I wonder if Parson's Hamstard will glow in the dark like Gandalf's staff.. mebbes (if it does) he can project an image of a giant hamster onto the clouds.. *shrug* I dunno why.. it's early..)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...I'm still holding out for the Arkenoid...
KiltedNinja
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:41 am

jacks annoying as all hell. if i was parson, i'd prefer to take stanley on the walk next time. you'd get a more intelligent conversation...not saying jacks not intelligent just terrible conversationalist
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Pentegarn » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:42 am

Judging by his comment about the Dwagons, it seems Jack is very perceptive in a way that belies his outward eccentricity
Was the dopest post I ever wrote... in '94
Pentegarn
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby KiltedNinja » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:46 am

moose o death wrote:jacks annoying as all hell. if i was parson, i'd prefer to take stanley on the walk next time. you'd get a more intelligent conversation...not saying jacks not intelligent just terrible conversationalist

On the face of it, that's true.. however, you can learn a lot about a person just by letting them talk and listening to how they think. A wise man never freely gives easy information to the unwise.. it's always in riddles, metaphors.. the nature of the understanding of incredibly complex concepts, restricts how easy it is to tell someone else what you know. It's easiest to use the metaphorical riddle situation and allow the person to come to their own understanding.

Or something like that.
...I'm still holding out for the Arkenoid...
KiltedNinja
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby JustDoug » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:55 am

Rather than thoughts concerning the mechanics of Erfworld and pondering upon the machinations of the characters as most seem to be doing, this latest update lends some support to ideas I've formed concerning the story itself.

It is, after all, a tale rather than a game.

I'll stay a little cryptic, but the latest information has me wondering if perhaps one of the Titans is named Dave Arneson, who had what seemed like a neat idea upon some changes to the rules toward improving the group's gaming experience recently.

If what I think is the case, a certain Stabber- and many others- might find their life spent as an NPC better than one spent as a unit chit.
Last edited by JustDoug on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JustDoug

Postby moose o death » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:57 am

or he bought himself a "get out of long walks for free" card. he's only proven himself too annoying to engage and it could prove to be a problem later
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Simons Mith » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:14 am

More likely he's a foolamancer with the emphasis on 'fool'. Just think how Shakespearian he was when he was still suffering link-break trauma. Now he's compos again, but he's plainly still cast in the same mould as Feste from Twelfth Night. Who is one of my favorite characters, and has a lot to him.
Simons Mith

Postby Frogpop » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:49 am

Jack's talent for Veiling cities and units leaks into his speech and veils his thoughts. This could be because he's still not quite all there, it could be force of habit so that Stanley couldn't tell how smart Jack is (and then feel threatened by it), it would even allow Jack to blow off some steam by making fun of Stanley right to his face and not getting disbanded for it, or all of the above.
Frogpop
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Wixit » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:52 am

I can't help but imagine Jack having a deep, slow voice. Slightly sinister, mocking even. He's right though, men are inclined to do what they do best. In Parson's case, to develop, consider and execute military strategies, from logistics to battle deployment. And since he has nothing else to do with his time, his compulsion to do what he does best will get to him.
War is delightful to those who have had no experience of it.
Erasmus
Wixit

Postby teratorn » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:02 am

Why would a guy who spends his time making fake stuff care about non-purpose buildings? His remark about the prison is particularly grim. Wanda is in fact putting shackles around all those that she decrypts, terrible shackles that they love. And his words may be premonitory, Parson may end up doing something even more terrible than what he did last time.

Now excuse while I go for some bacon.
teratorn

Postby Steve-D » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:33 am

That reminds me, did anyone figure out why Jack helped Stanley escape Jillian, way-back-when?

It wasn't explained by Wanda's backstory, in the end.
Steve-D

Postby fruityjanitor » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:40 am

I finally got around to registering just to say that Jack is awesome. It was great to finally "see" him again. I like how even though he is no longer insane, he pretty much talks like he is. :D
fruityjanitor
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby gaiaswill » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:50 am

I finally got around to logging in just to say that Jack is awesome.

He really is. Reading his words is a treat. I hope he gets even more lines and screentime in the future.
gaiaswill
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby joosy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:32 am

It must be either really fun or really tasking to write dialogue for Jack Snipe - in any case, it is very much appreciated!

I also like how Jack's habit of glancing around mimics his namesake. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Snipe

re: the city. Thank you for bringing back up and explaining at length the odd existence of buildings that exist but aren't really 'used' . Now I can't play SimCity, Caesar III, Pharoah, Stronghold, etc. without now wondering if the grand coliseums, libraries, etc. are even used by the populace that is apparently merely appeased and pleased by their very existence.

Jack's manner of speech may be cryptic but speaking in riddles and parables is the hallmark of many wise people. They leave it up to others to form their own opinions and to come to their own conclusions. Hopefully they use that knowledge for the better but sometimes it leads to disastrous results (e.g. Matthew, Mark. Luke & John).

I did find Jack's last comments to Parson to be very insightful. Despite Parson's wish to not cause the death of anyone else, he is still working toward that goal. Until Parson stops doing anything that would contribute to the ongoing war effort (e.g. everyday life in Erfworld) then he is still contributing to the 'problem'. He either must accept his role and be the best Warlord he can be or work harder in trying to end ALL war in Erfworld.

As I have said before - I would be perfectly content to just have Erfworld continue with these types of updates but I'm sure Jamie's upcoming art will sway me back to the original format :)

Good job once again, folks! Thank you for this delightful diversion and entertainment.
Last edited by joosy on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joosy

Postby HandofShadows » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:21 am

Finally getting to spend some time with Jack. He may be playing the fool, but he clearly is not one (as others have said). Interesting to see a little how he thinks. And something that I don't think others noticed. Jack is not bothered by Wanda (and her power). Of course he has known her longer than anyone else in GK. But I get the feeling that Jack knows a LOT more about what is going on then he is telling Parson (or anyone else). I think it a real good canidate for bring part of the group out to "break the world".
HandofShadows

Postby askafroa » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:27 am

Wow, he was a bit interesting before, but with this update I'm expecting Jack to be one of my favorite characters going forward. Got to wonder if Jack was criticizing Parson for not following his new convictions, criticizing him for not embracing his talents, or simply pointing out what was likely to him an obvious contradiction. (Maybe a little of all of them?)
askafroa

Postby THRILLHO_use » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:43 am

HandofShadows wrote:Finally getting to spend some time with Jack. He may be playing the fool, but he clearly is not one (as others have said). Interesting to see a little how he thinks...
I think it a real good canidate for bring part of the group out to "break the world".

Here, here! I enjoy Jack's character quite a bit. Playing the fool allows him a chance to hide his true feelings and/or intentions.

re: "Break the World"
Parson not wanting to do his summoning & being able to NOT follow orders.
Jillian off to "re-pop" the Kingdom of Faq
Ansom & Wanda grinding their way across the planet - unchecked/unstopable... for now
Translvito "bound" to Faq
Charlie, the consumate wild card
and Stanley. Paranoid. Short-tempered. Feeling inaddequate. Amassing an ARMY OF DWAGONS!!! Won't be long until he feels un-croakable and something sets him off!

I think I'm enjoying the summer updates more than the book itself!
“Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it.”
Beatrice Hall, “The Friends of Voltaire”, 1906
THRILLHO_use

Next

Return to Reactions