Charlie and the boop filter

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Charlie and the boop filter

Postby randint » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:22 pm

So, I was bored, and re-reading the archives.

Noticed this:
On book 1, page 84a (link), Parson's Klog describes some stuff about loyalty etc. Parson, wondering about free will says "WTB?" - which actually means "WTF?". I'm assuming if parson was able to write out WTF, he would have (as he's fond of both cursing and bending the rules).

So the assumption here is, he thought "WTF?" but the eyebook recorded "WTB?"

Now, on book 2 page 108 (link), Charlie addresses Parson thought the Eyebook - but he manages to say "GTFO" and not "GTBO" - essentially bypassing the booping filter.

Not sure if its intentional, but it gives more credence to the idea that Charlie is another Player from Parson's world. And I thought it was interesting... :P
What Parson's slogan should have been: "We break things. Sometimes that even works."
randint

Re: Charlie and the boop filter

Postby Lilwik » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:31 pm

randint wrote:I'm assuming if parson was able to write out WTF, he would have (as he's fond of both cursing and bending the rules).
Parson also has a sense of humor, and WTB is funny. He'd probably also gotten into a habit of using boop.
Lilwik

Postby randint » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:38 pm

Lilwik wrote:Parson also has a sense of humor, and WTB is funny. He'd probably also gotten into a habit of using boop.

Yes, its possible he said that as a joke.

But I don't think its very probable (imho) - he's not intentionally saying 'boop', he's constantly tried to curse (and gets quite happy on even minor things like 'hoosed'). Plus, it would probably be funnier if he went around saying WTF (spelling it, confusing everyone what it means, when they ask him and he replies it means "what the boop")

It just occurred to me that another possibility is that when Parson broke the boop filter at the end of book 1, he may have broken it for everyone, but I don't remember any evidence of that, and I think its just more likely Charlie is able to break it as well.
What Parson's slogan should have been: "We break things. Sometimes that even works."
randint

Postby drachefly » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:22 pm

or it meant Get The Fire Out? ;) Wouldn't exactly fit in context though.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:24 am

They replace "fuck" with "flip". So GTFO out becomes "Get The Flip Out"
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby mantimeforgot » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:48 am

Considering Erfworld's penchant for using near-phrases in their naming schemes I do not doubt that any sufficiently similar euphemism could be considered for Erfworld canon. Perhaps Get The Fudge Out is a normal phrase? Until we receive actual evidence of Charlie cursing I am actually inclined to believe that he can't. Carnymancy seems a lot like Wishing through the Genie of the Lamp; you never know how your wish will get twisted, but you will always get something Like the effect that you were trying to get. So Carnies might do something like "Cheat your Fate: You don't croak in the fire now, but you croak painfully in a fire later). Incidentally, that is what I think happened to Sylvia.

I am inclined to think that Parson's ability to bypass the Filter exceeds the boundaries of normal Erfworld units until shown otherwise.

MTF
mantimeforgot

Postby ShieldOfAthena » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:45 am

"WTB" is "Want To Buy."

Seems pretty clear contextually. He is talking about how, in Erfworld, only Rulers have free will. I'd want to buy that.
ShieldOfAthena
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby SNfinity » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:57 pm

Earlier, Stanley tried to think of a curse word that starts with 'F' - that's evidence that the profanity filter is permanently broken.
SNfinity

Postby drachefly » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:08 am

SNfinity wrote:Earlier, Stanley tried to think of a curse word that starts with 'F' - that's evidence that the profanity filter is permanently broken.

Eh. He was casting about for purposes of alliteration, wasn't it? And he couldn't think of anything.
drachefly

Return to Everything Else Erfworld