Book 2 – Page 114

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 – Page 114

Postby balder » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:10 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 – Page 114

Postby xtrapwr » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Ok, now I really want to know what Jack can do. He looks ... happy?
xtrapwr
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby SteveMB » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:19 pm

The Carnymancer group has backed down for now -- the question is what do they do now (I doubt they'll just roll over and accept this as the permanent new status quo).
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:23 pm

OMGGGGG Jack and Ace look AWESOME!!!!
I hope this means that they walked through the portal freely, and weren't just decrypted in the MK.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby ftl » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:31 pm

Wow! Book 2 is over - I didn't expect that yet!

Bet a lot of bets over in the betting thread just got put to bet. Bed.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Jamus » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Jack does not look like he gives even one. His look creeps me out, and I had to go back to find living jack to compare to.

Jack was always very ashen, grey, almost green in complexion. Now he's pink. He had pink eyes, like Maggie. Now they're blue.

That's so weird. I'm more convinced than ever that there's some sort of signamancy or pattern to the faces and eyes. It's not just Jack's livery that changed. What are we missing there?
Jamus
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby technojunkie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:39 pm

"then you can expect to join my personal guard" OMG Parson is getting DARK! Methinks he and ruthlessness haven't parted ways just yet.

**edit** on a sadder note... I just realized this is the last update we'll see from Xin. Goodbye Xin, I will miss your contribution.
Last edited by technojunkie on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
technojunkie
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Goshen » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:43 pm

OhMyGodOhMyGod OH. MY. GOD!!! Please let decrypted casters still be able to cast! I just can't wait to see the insane stuff Jack, Ace, and Parson will cook up. 8-)

Jamus wrote:Jack does not look like he gives even one. His look creeps me out, and I had to go back to find living jack to compare to.

Jack was always very ashen, grey, almost green in complexion. Now he's pink. He had pink eyes, like Maggie. Now they're blue.

That's so weird. I'm more convinced than ever that there's some sort of signamancy or pattern to the faces and eyes. It's not just Jack's livery that changed. What are we missing there?

I suspect that jack was grey, just like Maggie still it, because of the first trimancer link they shared long ago with the unfortunate Misty. Way back in Book One. They had been linked for a long time, which is bad for one's health. His livery is Wanda's.
Goshen

Postby Pokota » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Congratulations on completing Book 2.

I've been following Erfworld for... about five years now. I started following it some time around when The Tool bailed out of Gobwin Knob, give or take a few strips. Everybody involved in working on Erfworld has done such a great job with it. Rob with the story, Jamie and Xin with the artwork.

Rob - I'm looking forward to seeing how the story evolves from here.
Xin - happy trails, and may you (continue to?) get paid doing what you love to do.
New Artist Dude - Sorry that I can't remember your name, but from what I saw of the Erfabet previews, you'll do fine.
zyxophoj wrote:Also, it depends rather heavily on Wanda ... not being Wanda.
Pokota

Postby Zeku » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:45 pm

What's happened to Jack is that he's no longer psychically crippled by his unrequited love for Jillian, or the damaging effects of the tri-link backlash. He is RENEWED, in the form of a selfless devotion to Wanda, and the opportunity to serve her.

Like all tricksters, once he is unburdened and unleashed, he is cruel and opportunistic. I'm looking forward to watching the forum hate the new Jack. I already love him. I want to BE him. I want to hurt people with deception. Wanda is already afraid of his new expression.

None of the argument about the fighting power of casters got resolved. Parson did a little eyerolling at our (my) sentiment that he coulda/shoulda just killed everyone in the MK.

Parson had a bit of of awesome, that was definitely fun. I guess he's not mad enough at the Thinkamancers to discard them as as allies.

It's really an ideal place to finally end Book 2, and thus we wave adios to Xin. Great job, great run, thanks for maintaining the quality to the end.

Edit: Oh and the continued signamancy of Sizemore's dissatisfaction. I mean it's so obvious that we forget to mention each time. He's definitely going to be betraying the home team eventually. And really, that's what makes Erfworld so great. When he does betray everyone, he won't be wrong.
Zeku

Postby Radagast » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:55 pm

Goodbye Xin and thanks for the great art!

So in the last panel we have Ace pensive, Sizemore sad, Maggie almost joyous, Wanda determined, Jack amused and who is the random grumpy warlord?
Radagast

Postby technojunkie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Radagast wrote:... who is the random grumpy warlord?

That would be Count Downer.
technojunkie

Postby Nihila » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:58 pm

Is it just me, or is Parson basically declaring war on everything? Demanding the right to go to anywhere though the MK seems provocative at best, and won't make any other sides happy with him, I don't think.

Will other sides start taking precautions against him? Moving important units (i.e. rulers and heirs) away from capital sites, placing portals under heavy guard?

Will the precautions be enough?

Also, goodbye Xin! Your art's been amazing to see, I hope that eventually there will be more for us to see, whether as part of Erfworld or not!
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby hajo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:01 pm

Goshen wrote:Jack, Ace .. His livery is Wanda's.

I don't see Wanda's sign (skull&flower) on the decrypted casters - just the matching colors.
-HaJo

You Only Live Twice or so it seems,
One life 'till you croak, and one 'till you dust.
hajo

Postby SriSyadasti » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:02 pm

No booping in the MK? Significant?
SriSyadasti

Postby technojunkie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:02 pm

hajo wrote:I don't see Wanda's sign (skull&flower) on the decrypted casters - just the matching colors.

Look at Ace's belt buckle...
technojunkie

Postby Diacritic » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:07 pm

Wanda looks so sad.
Diacritic
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Aquillion » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:09 pm

Jamus wrote:Jack does not look like he gives even one. His look creeps me out, and I had to go back to find living jack to compare to.

It was implied (if not explicitly stated) that his gray skin and eyes were a result of being in the Trimancer link for so long; Maggie and Misty had the same effects. Decryption healed all his wounds, including that. His smile, I think, is just the kind of expression I'd expect to see on Jack when pulling off a successful trick -- he likes clever strategies, so he enjoyed having Parson tell the Carneymancers to shut up. Of course I'd assume his personality and opinions have changed (at least where it regards Wanda), but probably not on a basic level -- remember, Ansom changed his opinions on everything, but was still the same fundamental guy underneath it, so I wouldn't expect Jack to be anyone but Jack, and aside from Wanda's livery the physical changes are mostly good, not bad. (Likewise, Ossimer showed us that the change of opinions is a one-time 'resetting of the dials' on one issue and doesn't have affect anything else or be permanent -- he became loyal to Wanda, but didn't suddenly start hating his father. Even Ansom found ways to justify fighting against his former kin by saying that it was for their own good, and it was clear he was bothered when Ossamer was killed out of hand.)

A more interesting thought: Parson knows that Thinkagrams aren't secure now, I think. By declaring his intention to kill Charlie over them, he's basically giving Charlie a declaration of war.
Aquillion

Postby Sixty » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:19 pm

Great ending to book 2! Can't wait to see where Book 3 goes (beyond the obvious war on Charlie thing at least)
Sixty

Postby No one in particular » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one weirded out by a rosy-cheeked Jack.

Also, I am SUPER happy to see Count Downer again! :D
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Next

Return to Reactions