Parson and Links

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Parson and Links

Postby Vanvidum » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:27 pm

Since Parson is going to be secure and surrounded by Thinkamancers for a while, it occurred to me that he might be able to explore his magical potential through a link with Maggie, with the other thinkamancers being able to help guide the process or break the link if it doesn't go well. Figuring out just what kind of magic Parson can do would be an important discovery for him, and it might be a lot faster to try a link instead of a slow process of elimination of attempting to cast from each school of magic in turn.

I specifically suggested Maggie instead of Isaac, because apparently trust and comfort is important for successful links. Odds are, Parson would find it easier to link with Maggie than any other thinkamancer.
Vanvidum

Re: Parson and Links

Postby 0beron » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:39 pm

Honestly I'm not sure he'd be comfortable with Maggie either. Let's look at his history with her:
  • He knows she killed Misty to save herself
  • She initially showed pretty minimal concern for Jack's state as well after the link
  • She Suggested Stanley to get her way, against Parson's wishes
  • Parson just found out she has been keeping a LOT of info secret from him.
So even if he says consciously that he's over that and can forgive her, I don't think it'd be as easy on a subconscious level to trust her.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Sir Shadow » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:27 pm

I'd just like to point out that Stanley had some say in how the link was broken. He wanted a fully functioning Thinkamancer and Foolamancer, so he let Misty take the brunt.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby 0beron » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:41 pm

I don't recall him making any commentary, he just said to break it, Maggie decided how. True, she was making a strategic decision and that was based in part on her innate anticipation of Stanley's needs, which is why Parson came around to forgiving her for it. I just think that on a more subconscious level he'd have trouble trusting her and that could hinder the link without him even being aware of it.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby GWvsJohn » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:22 am

I also wonder if they'd even be able to form the link given Parson's current "state" of casting. In order to prep the mind for a link, Maggie says to think of the first spell they ever cast and focus on their discipline. Parson has never cast a spell and doesn't know his discipline, if he even has one.
GWvsJohn

Postby 0beron » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:36 am

Oh dur, very good point GW. He's gonna have to be taught by someone to try and cast..which is probably what Janis will be needed for next. If he does have a primary school at all, I think it's gotta be Signamancy.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby GWvsJohn » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:37 am

0beron wrote:Oh dur, very good point GW. He's gonna have to be taught by someone to try and cast..which is probably what Janis will be needed for next. If he does have a primary school at all, I think it's gotta be Signamancy.

Personally, I think Date-a-mancy (if any). He can definitely "do" Mathamancy which is on the same axis. His destiny seems to be to stop war and improve relationships between units. Just makes sense to me. I do take Janis at her word when she calls him a Hippiemancer and think it's Date or Sign.
GWvsJohn

Postby 0beron » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:41 am

Hmmmm good point, but there is also the way he sees things. He picks up on all the puns of Erfworld and makes comments on them, and relates their appearance to their function. On top of that, he named the streets of GK City, and I believe signs popped to match. So he definitely seems to practice Signamancy as well....so this makes it tough to say.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:28 pm

He didn't pop the signs, he had them built. Also, why would signamancers understand pop culture references from our world?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:33 pm

We know two very concrete things about Signamancy.
  1. it's the Form=Function school, things in Erfworld appear certain ways because they fit certain roles. Recognizing the pop culture references is Parson's way of seeing that.
  2. They influence cities, changing their layout and appearance to produce some benefit. Even if he had the signs built rather than popping them with Juice, he's still naming things.
He certainly hasn't been actually CASTING Signamancy spells, so he might not be producing appreciable/measurable effects yet, but he's certainly got the senses and talent for it.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:21 pm

Just as most casters have a primary discipline and can dabble in others, maybe he is the opposite? He dabbles in everything, but doesn't have a primary?

I could see a strong argument for date or signamancy. I'd also think carnymancy would fit him well, as would Hippymancy. A fool or lookamancer would also make sense, as Jack is constantly talking about looking at things in different ways and such, and that seems to be very much what Parson does. Mathamancer would work as well. Yes he has and uses the bracer, but he knows the odds fairly intuitively even without it for more straightforward calculations.

I still like the 'classless' idea though, as it would fit him so well in that he breaks yet another rule by not having a primary school that he uses, and instead is equally good (or bad) in all of them.

Heck, he might even be a retconjurer (or at least have access to it), but that seems unlikely.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby wih » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:58 am

Signamancy makes the most sense to me. In addition to what Zeroberon said: Whether or not Janis told the correct truth about him being a Hippiemancer, if it is the truth, it's a fit for Signamancy. Signamancy is about seeing the truth behind the form (just as Natural Signmancy is what changes the form over time to become more like the function). To Signamancers, "all Stuff is Foolamancy"..Parson figures out how the world actually works, as opposed to how people generally use it, which as far as I can tell is the fundamental concept behind Signamancy.
wih

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:17 am

Jack has said that's a fundamental part of foolamancy too. Still, I agree, signamancy would make sense for him, since he sees links others don't. It would also be an interesting way to explore signamancy for the reader.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:47 am

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:Jack has said that's a fundamental part of foolamancy too.
I expect that Jack meant that Eyemancy is about seeing the true form of things, seeing the world as it really is, and getting other people to see the world as you want them to see it by veil, by thinkagram, or simply by blinding (Erf axis magic is always so crude). I think that Signamancy is far deeper than that because it is about the meaning behind the forms of things. For example, imagine a page of text written in some strange language; Eyemancy can help you see the words exactly as they are written, but can't tell you what they mean. Signamancy can tell you what the text is trying to say.

At least that's what I guess. I really wish we could see a Signamancer in action at least once.
Lilwik

Return to Everything Else Erfworld