Book 2 – Page 114

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 114

Postby Dalen Mantil » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:58 am

Tonot wrote:Agreed.

Would one of the disciplines make it more likely he checked ( or what do we say for winning rolls?. Rolled high? ) for hidden messages inside messages?. Is that something that sufficiently high skilled characters might do automatically?. Do any of the casters have something like a Turing Hat, or park themselves at Benchley ?. Is the sort of skill that lets you find people who are sneaking or hiding, ( is it Spot/listen ?,) something that you could routinely use when eavesdropping?.

Going back to Maggie's inner dialogue, "any Thinkamancer who plucked her would find this note in her G-String." So if that's true, then most likely Charlie picking up the note is a foregone conclusion, given the apparent abilities of the Arkendish. If he can pluck her, he can pick it up. And the GK Thinkamancer should be a top plucking target. The question is whether he can decipher the message, or rather, given his apparent intelligence, how long will it take him to decipher it.

In mechanical terms, I infer that the notches cause some kind of variation in the natural vibration of her G-string. Heh... Why do I imagine a Star Trek style bridge full of inner-circle Archons, and one of them (a dark-skinned stunner in a short red uniform dress) turns to Charlie (sitting in the captain's chair), puts her hand to her ear, and says something along the lines of "Charlie, I'm detecting some anomalous readings."
Dalen Mantil

Postby Zippy the Squirrel » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:39 am

I figured Charlie was able to intercept or listen in on naturally thought Orders, and either heard when Stanley designated Parson the Chief again or identified the weight of Parson's orders through Maggie. Or he's got a link to the Hobgobwins, considering he's almost certainly the reason why normal Gobwins aren't spawning for GK.

What does everyone think Wanda is gonna say or do when she learns Parson plans to go after Charlie?
Zippy the Squirrel
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby bpzinn » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Zippy the Squirrel wrote:What does everyone think Wanda is gonna say or do when she learns Parson plans to go after Charlie?

As long as she is told she is allowed to decrypt him afterwards, I think she will be okay with it, and just view it as Charlie having chosen "the hard way" in regards to his fate.
bpzinn

Postby No one in particular » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Considering how much a slave to Fate Wanda is (situations with Jillian aside), I think it depends entirely upon what Predictions Wanda's heard about Charlie, 'Tools, and everything else.

So, you know, "Finally! Took you long enough", "Fate says otherwise, you're just making yourself miserable" or "Whatever"
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Tonot » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:05 am

I have seen before about people saying Charlie is the reason for the Gobwin deficit. How do we know this, can someone explain in simple words of two or less syllables for me?.

Plus, I just read bpzinns comment as if he meant she was decrypting Parson.

:shock: :o COULD she decrypt Parson?. I do want to see that comic !.
Tonot

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:40 am

Tonot wrote:I have seen before about people saying Charlie is the reason for the Gobwin deficit. How do we know this, can someone explain in simple words of two or less syllables for me?.

Parson's Bracer pegged Charlie as being nearly 100% likely to be involved in the Great Gobwin Shortage.
Jabberwocky

Postby No one in particular » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:52 am

Jabberwocky wrote:
Tonot wrote:I have seen before about people saying Charlie is the reason for the Gobwin deficit. How do we know this, can someone explain in simple words of two or less syllables for me?.

Parson's Bracer pegged Charlie as being nearly 100% likely to be involved in the Great Gobwin Shortage.

Specifically: First Intermission 45
Narrator wrote: One thing he never volunteered in these meetings was that the bracer gave a 78% likelihood that there was something fishy going on with the lack of Gobwins and prevalence of Marbits.
And if there was, then there was a better than 92% chance that the agency behind it was Charlescomm.

Citation!
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Tonot » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:48 am

Thank you kindly. I can't remember if I read them or not, will look into them. (The stories, not the Archons.) :P
Tonot

Postby Kreistor » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:36 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:

Yep. There are a few speculative ways he could be doing it.

One of the most popular is "It's the Arkendish!" Some people think the Arkendish has the power to prevent some types of Units from popping in the environment.

My own theory is different. I think Charlie is using Findamancers to identify where Gobwins are, then sending out Archons to either wipe them out or recruit them. (Previously, I was just thinking Archons were wandering through the region scouting for them, the way GK's Archons hunted dwagons, but that leaves too much evidence.) If he is expecting GK to come for Charlescomm, he needs to change his force demographics and his defences. The serves Charles in two ways. It creates a defence under his fortress where it is not expected to be, and takes away the forces Parson would need to attack it with.

There are other ways, including Predictamancers to foretell where Gobwins will be, Mathamancers to change the probability of Gobwins popping, and so forth.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby drachefly » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:01 pm

It can be the Arkendish simply by way of his scanning for gobwins and then recruiting them by thinkagram. Also, depending on the normal spawn rules, he may be able to prevent them from spawning just by introducing sufficient marbits to the area (which I understand are in ample supply).
drachefly

Postby Kreistor » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:42 pm

drachefly wrote:It can be the Arkendish simply by way of his scanning for gobwins and then recruiting them by thinkagram. Also, depending on the normal spawn rules, he may be able to prevent them from spawning just by introducing sufficient marbits to the area (which I understand are in ample supply).

Can you have multiple tribes of the same Allies? Not really that important, anyway. The other problem is when you've got as many as you can feed. Once you've recruited to the limit, you can't take 100 more, and you can't just disband them and watch them poof. So, at some point, you can't afford more, so you've got to kill them to keep them out of GK. Whether or not he began by recruiting, he'll end by killing.

On a side note, pop a look at that Update. Among the Natural Allies Marbits won't work with is "witches". Love to see those as a replacement for the lost Archons. Flying casters, but a different skill set.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby Lipkin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:57 pm

Natural allies are related to thinkamancy, right? Or do we not know?
Lipkin

Postby wih » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:52 am

I'm pretty sure there's some natural thinkamancy involved in how they work, but nothing that I've read that says how they spawn, or how the alliances are made, is from thinkamancy.
wih

Postby Lipkin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:20 am

wih wrote:I'm pretty sure there's some natural thinkamancy involved in how they work, but nothing that I've read that says how they spawn, or how the alliances are made, is from thinkamancy.

I thought they were linked to the area via thinkamancy. If so, Charlie may have interfered with that, causing them to be able to move elsewhere.
Lipkin

Postby wih » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:35 am

A google search for "natural allies" thinkamancy site:erfworld.com/wiki brings up only two direct texts from the comic:
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/IPTSF_Text_45
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/LIAB_Text_4

"Rulers do not have a natural Thinkamancy sense of where their natural allies are located, so if she croaked them all, then Haffaton might not know what happened to them in time to find her here."
"Natural Allies know the will of their tribe’s Chief or Chiefs by Natural Thinkamancy, even from other hexes."

Sure, it's not foolproof, but pretty sure we haven't had any other major info on Natural Allies and Natural Thinkamancy.
wih

Postby Erk » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:26 pm

wih wrote:Sure, it's not foolproof, but pretty sure we haven't had any other major info on Natural Allies and Natural Thinkamancy.

My recollection, which is never never faulty at all never, is that it's rather the opposite... as your quote states, natural allies are if anything more separate from thinkamancy than regular units, inasmuch as they're exempt from regular ruler abilities.
Rumours of my croaking have been greatly exaggerated.

Race: Men
Class: Caster (Healomancer)
Level: 3
Special: Exhausted
Erk

Postby Lipkin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:56 pm

Why is this thread still at the top of the thread lists when a post hasn't been made since the 7th?
Lipkin

Postby 0beron » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:07 pm

I assume its associated with the technical difficulties. The most recent page of each story is always what's stickied, and since he didn't sticky today's update (presumably due to lack of video?) perhaps it jumped back to this page.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby junovalkyrie » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:33 pm

At any given moment since around the time Book 0 started there have been three threads stickied in the Reactions forum:

1. The thread for the latest comic update.
2. The thread for the latest text update.
3. The thread for the latest Book 0 update.

So if one of these categories doesn't get anything for a while, the thread for the latest page will stay at the top despite having no new posts. For example, the thread for Text Update 57 was stickied and would show up as the third thread on the list months into 2013 even though the last post was one I had made back in November 2012. Edit: Dammit, it happened again. Somebody post something!

The epilogue pages seem to have been classified as text updates (which makes sense) for the purpose of this system, so this thread will likely stay stickied until Book 3 starts and we get some more comic pages.
junovalkyrie

Postby Mrtyuh » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:47 am

Well, in light of recent revelations, I'll throw my two cents into this defunct debate. While it has recently been revealed that Charlie has an affinity with Natural Allies, whether through Thinkamancy or the Arkendish or whatever, I do not think that is why Gobwin Knob is unable to find gobwins. The affinity with Natural Allies does explain how Charlie got the High Elves to break alliance with Haffaton and how he got the Western Giants to break alliance with Jitterati, and I suspect it is what caused the Gobwins to break their alliance and execute King Saline IV. Still, I think the mechanic being used to deprive Gobwin Knob of Gobwins is Carnymancy. Carnymancy is about rigging the odds. Charlie is using it to reduce the odds of Gobwins popping near Gobwin Knob to zero. It is also why Stanley encountered so many Dwagons on his way to sack Faq. Charlie was boosting the odds of feral Dwagons popping in his path.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions