Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 070

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 070

Postby No one in particular » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:45 am

balder wrote:That was a typo. Should read 2/3 complete. Sorry, Reddit stalkers. Heh.

Darn! I was looking forward to a 210 chapter epic tome of backstory. Does this mean we're NOT getting a 60 chapter stretch learning about Sizemore & Misty? D:
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:43 am

Re-reading this update, I'm struck by a question "Is there a spell or item that can discern truth or at least 'truth as the subject knows it'?" You'd think a Dollmancer could whip up a polygraph or a Thinkamancer could rip it out of somebodies bleeding cerebral cortex. Perhaps a Signamancer examining the subject's signamancy(IE: Body language).

What else could probably tell if someone is deliberately lying? Shouldn't Jack, as a foolamancer trained to notice all details, have a chance of knowing when someone is bullshitting him?
Jabberwocky

Postby Lipkin » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:49 am

Jabberwocky wrote:Re-reading this update, I'm struck by a question "Is there a spell or item that can discern truth or at least 'truth as the subject knows it'?" You'd think a Dollmancer could whip up a polygraph or a Thinkamancer could rip it out of somebodies bleeding cerebral cortex. Perhaps a Signamancer examining the subject's signamancy(IE: Body language).

What else could probably tell if someone is deliberately lying? Shouldn't Jack, as a foolamancer trained to notice all details, have a chance of knowing when someone is bullshitting him?

Wanda, being the torture technician that she is, probably has her ways.

But I like the idea of a linked Dollmancer making a Lasso of Truth.

Also, small quibble, but I don't think Jack has been trained to do anything. Seems like Casters are popped with knowledge, and then they build on that knowledge through experience. There doesn't really seem to be teachers who hand down techniques.
Lipkin

Postby GWvsJohn » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:45 am

I know how it works. And I'm not that confident.
GWvsJohn

Postby 0beron » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:59 am

Lipkin wrote:I don't think Jack has been trained to do anything. Seems like Casters are popped with knowledge, and then they build on that knowledge through experience. There doesn't really seem to be teachers who hand down techniques.

Lipkin may be correct, with the exception of what GW is referring to. When attempting to master another school than their native one, it seems that a teacher at least helps the process. Perhaps the same goes for learning things in your own school as well, especially when it comes to advancing towards Master Class, we just haven't seen it demonstrated.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby multilis » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:41 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:Re-reading this update, I'm struck by a question "Is there a spell or item that can discern truth or at least 'truth as the subject knows it'?" You'd think a Dollmancer could whip up a polygraph or a Thinkamancer could rip it out of somebodies bleeding cerebral cortex. Perhaps a Signamancer examining the subject's signamancy(IE: Body language).

Yes, it is called a contract. Parson was magically compelled to tell Charlie the truth on his calculations.
multilis

Postby Lipkin » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:56 pm

multilis wrote:

Yes, it is called a contract. Parson was magically compelled to tell Charlie the truth on his calculations.

I assume you have to willingly enter a contract. And that prisoner would refuse to.
Lipkin

Postby Lilwik » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:14 pm

Lipkin wrote:I assume you have to willingly enter a contract. And that prisoner would refuse to.
If I were judging that trial I'd consider that an admission of guilt. On the other hand, I expect that Banhammer would consider it a violation of human rights to force witnesses to swear to tell the truth.
Lilwik

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:14 pm

Lilwik wrote:If I were judging that trial I'd consider that an admission of guilt. On the other hand, I expect that Banhammer would consider it a violation of human rights to force witnesses to swear to tell the truth.

Indeed. And speaking of Banhammer, can't he just order Wanda to provide a truthful and precise accounting of Olive's wrongdoings? What does Wanda's personal vendetta matter when she's magically bound to obey his command to be honest unless the entire side is immediately at stake?
Jabberwocky

Postby Lilwik » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:37 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:What does Wanda's personal vendetta matter when she's magically bound to obey his command to be honest unless the entire side is immediately at stake?
I think you've put your finger right on the problem in your question. Keeping Olive alive is obviously putting the the entire side in serious danger and even Banhammer knows it. Even if he ordered honesty from everyone he has no way to be sure that he'll get it in a situation like this, because duty could easily compel even his own people to lie if it could help make Olive dead. Even direct orders were just barely holding Jillian back from croaking Olive with a sword.
Lilwik

Previous

Return to Reactions