Desolation of the Titans (CLOSED)

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Desolation of the Titans (CLOSED)

Postby 0beron » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:14 pm

Okay folks, the moment you've been waiting for is here! I'm done with all the "front end" rules updates! I'm still finishing up the back-end Titan's-Eyes-Only stuff, but I hope we will be back on the move again tomorrow morning or even late tonight if I'm especially industrious.
The new rules are located below, and I'll update the Reference Thread accordingly.

Rules 2.0!!

Changes to note:
  • General layout is (I hope) easier to read with less needless fluff.
  • Command units have been clarified
  • Leadership has it's limits now (when taken by Specials)
  • Some new specials added, including "Tactical Special", which more accurately represents the ability of the Archons in comic.
  • Leveling bonus are now known
  • Trapped [Zone] now has a known mechanic.
  • Knight pop rate buffed
  • Updates to the Magic system:
    • Scrolls
    • Learning other Disciplines
    • Magic Items
  • A very shaky spell list that is mostly my ideas so far. It will grow quickly in the next few days, but remember to avoid applying this info in-game.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby GWvsJohn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Very nice.

I like the edits and new specials.

Under Courtier, it says $660, should be $1100, right?
I know how it works. And I'm not that confident.
GWvsJohn

Postby 0beron » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:28 pm

Ah yeah, relic from an earlier time when city income was lower. Good catch
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:26 pm

In the caster section, did you mean look AND thinkamancy, or look OR thinkamancy? Because AND seems like a really high requirement for a non-combat unit to give a bonus to non-combat units in combat.

Also, do Dollamancy units require upkeep?

I would truly fear a side with a turnamancer and a dollamancer... and a thinkamancer? Ye Titans!
Taikei no Yuurei
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:31 pm

Yes the AND was deliberate. I'm intending it to mimic the Transylvito bats strategy, where the massive swarm stack becomes a feasible tactic. So yes it would be a high requirement based on an 8-stack model, but the mechanics make it viable when using a swarm.

No magical units ever have upkeep, so yeah that includes Dollamancy. I'll make that more clear.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:07 pm

If they could give the bonus remotely that'd be potentially valuable as a very high mobility strike force. Couldn't hit anything real strong, but could always be at targets of opportunity.
Taikei no Yuurei

Postby 0beron » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:22 pm

Hm not a bad idea, that'd cost juice though.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:34 pm

It's usefulness would be very very limited otherwise. If it couldn't be done remotely, you'd have to stick the caster on a flying (most likely) mount with high move (so C or D special most likely) to keep up with the scouts, and you'd be putting one of the most valuable units in the game in a force with a decidedly low chance of survival. And at that point you really may as well just substitute a warlord for the caster, much more expendable and much stronger in the fight.
Taikei no Yuurei

Postby 0beron » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:39 pm

A Warlord couldn't do the same thing. It's a tactical trade-off the player would have to decide on, given how powerful it would be. It worked very well for Transylvito, they would have won and croaked Stanely if it weren't for Jack.
And I'd allow it remotely, it just requires juice, which is also a fair trade-off.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:52 pm

How would it not work with a Warlord? Warlords give a bonus to all units (It's how Trans did their combo, a look/thinkamancer had nothing to do with it), including scouts. Warlords are easier to produce, more expendable, and stronger in combat. I don't see how it would be a viable tactic without the remote use. I understand you're allowing it to be used remotely, but I'm curious why you thought it'd be useful (much less powerful as you indicated) outside of that, since that seems to have been your original thinking on the idea.
Taikei no Yuurei

Postby 0beron » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Making a swarm stack like that is not normally possible/effective. We don't know why, but presumably the bonus usually decays or something of the sort. There is something special about Bats that allows them to be used that way, otherwise other sides would be using the tactic. The Look/Think ability is just my idea of a way to allow that mechanic to work without the scouts themselves having an inherent special.
So what I'm saying is that without a Think/Look present in the battle or remoting in, a huge stack of scouts wouldn't normally be all that scary, regardless of who is leading them.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Sir Shadow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:58 pm

<_< There's nothing special at all... I imagine other Sides do not do it because Doombats as some kind of natural creature are easier to produce in some way.

Another thing, it's been stated that there is no limit on stack size... at all. All those Uncroaked fighting with wanda? They were all in her stack.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby GWvsJohn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:14 pm

Sir Shadow wrote:<_< There's nothing special at all... I imagine other Sides do not do it because Doombats as some kind of natural creature are easier to produce in some way.

Another thing, it's been stated that there is no limit on stack size... at all. All those Uncroaked fighting with wanda? They were all in her stack.

Where does it say that? When Ansom attacks the ring he mentions max stack. When Stanley flees GK he says there's a limit on how many knights he can take. I think it's strongly implie there is a maximum stack size. Something around 30, based in he stack Stanley flees with.
GWvsJohn

Postby 0beron » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:16 pm

Yeah, GW took the words outa my mouth. There is definitely a max stack, and we only see it used when a special circumstance makes it strategically viable to do so. I am being a little creative and providing one such situation. But if you'd prefer, I'll happily take it away and return Eyemancers to never giving a bonus at all. Feel free to keep looking the gift horse in the mouth.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby understandslittle » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:32 am

The Thriller fight had over 100 uncroaked in one stack. If they weren't stacked with Wanda they wouldn't have been dancing.
understandslittle

Postby GWvsJohn » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:57 am

understandslittle wrote:The Thriller fight had over 100 uncroaked in one stack. If they weren't stacked with Wanda they wouldn't have been dancing.

Where does it say this? Perhaps Commanders can lead all the troops in a hex in a dance fight?
GWvsJohn

Postby LTDave » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:16 am

LTDave

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:01 am

Ok perfect, that exactly proves my point. Stanley specifically uses the term "max stack" when he flees GK, and Wanda's horde clearly exceeded that number. So we know that there is a limit on stack size except for special situations. My ruling will stand.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Sir Shadow » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:26 am

Where does it say that Stanley took a max stack? I keep looking through the relevant pages but I can't seem to find it.

Not really arguing or anything, I just can't find it and want to know the context and whatnot for the purpose of this discussion. <_<

Also, have you guys thought of the possibility that different unit types count differently for the purpose of what maxes out your stack? A stack with dwagons might not be able to have the same # of units as a stack of Infantry.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:39 am

The first mention of "max stack" actually came much earlier, from one of Jetstones elves. Stanley later alludes to a hard limit on the number of units he can flee with. We never get a number for that Jetstone stack, but we have a rough count for Stanley's stack as about 35+ (I'm gonna guess 40, since it's a multiple of 8)
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games