Book 2 - Epilogue 01 - Artemis Decrypted

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Book 2 - Epilogue 01 - Artemis Decrypted

Postby balder » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:48 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Book 2 - Epilogue 01 - Artemis Decrypted

Postby Whispri » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am

On the one hand, it's good that she got her answer, on the other, it's so sad that she's trapped there.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Chadim » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:57 am

A great big "Yeah!" for the new updates, and greetings to our new artist, awesome! I
am all pumped up for the ride.

Yes, it is a shame Arthemis can (as seems now) not leave.

Did I mention "the Mistress" scares me?

Best,
Chadim
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Urf » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:58 am

HIGH FIVE

Voice acted narration, animation. etc.

Bravo!
Urf

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:07 am

Oooooh I'm liking this! I especially like this because it's along the same line as Wanda popping, its very cool to see the perspective of a "new" Decrypted unit and compare it to what a unit feels when popping.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby effataigus » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:11 am

All very well done, but I prefer the voiceless comic format. Voice overs can't help but interpret content... and this voice over didn't fit with the tone that I had assigned to Erfworld. I'm going to try to avoid clicking on the play button in the future.

This would be a fun experiment for the epilogue, but I'd argue against switching to this format for book 3 if that is the intent... for continuity, but also because the comic pages are worth it.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby GrandReaper » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:13 am

Well, first update in a new direction with a new style, so I'm going to offer up some opinions and I hope I don't hurt any feelings.

First off, the narrated comic is a very cool idea. I liked still having the text and the scrolling "camera" with the shading helped focus my eye and was very enjoyable and high quality. My only problem was the voice actor. I think he does a fine job but I don't think the style really works with this comic well. It's very proper and controlled whereas Erfworld is often a hectic and chaotic place which might have been better served with more urgency, especially from Parsons orders. It almost felt like listening to one of my kids narrated stories.

Secondly, I was pleasantly surprised by the art this update. The costumes and scenery are all looking really nice. The odd character has a bit of a "herp-a-derp" expression that made me snicker but overall nicely done.

Now we just need to give Artemis an excuse to shoot somebody and I'll be happy.
GrandReaper

Postby MarbitChow » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:21 am

I love it, especially having the choice of the narration or plain text. It's like ordering a sandwich and being given a second, slightly different sandwich that you could also choose to consume. :D
MarbitChow

Postby Deo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:30 am

So some answers on Parsons setup then.

90 units.

Two stabber stacks.
Archery stack. all archer units at least level 3.

It is curious that they still are considered garrison units within the magic kingdom. This might imply the possibility of shared territory being staffed and controlled by multiple factions outside of the MK, erfworld equivalents of the Berlin wall and so on, that might have multiple factions garrisoning units.

I think Parson is likely going to have some sort of fortification going up in the MK, leaving his troops in the open will give people ideas and time to plan. Having them stashed in a makeshift fort or hideaway will make it harder to keep tabs on them and whatever defensive measures they might take.

Cant wait to see how book 3 plays out.
Deo
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby MonteCristo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:40 am

Whispri wrote:On the one hand, it's good that she got her answer, on the other, it's so sad that she's trapped there.

Indeed. She may come to realize that this is more a curse than a blessing by the titans. Artemis was one who saw glory in battle and found the role of Garrison to be boring... and now she is permanently a garrison unit.

Deo wrote:It is curious that they still are considered garrison units within the magic kingdom. This might imply the possibility of shared territory being staffed and controlled by multiple factions outside of the MK, erfworld equivalents of the Berlin wall and so on, that might have multiple factions garrisoning units.

Changing a unit from garrison to field unit requires a promotion that costs smuckers; as such just finding a loop hole that allows you to move a garrison unit out of the garrison would not change their status. The magic kingdom seems to function as one large city; the casters use zero move when moving around the magic kingdom and thus the garrison units with their zero move will have no trouble getting around either
Last edited by MonteCristo on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:42 am

Well, that's assuming she is indeed stuck there. There are two ways she could still get out:
  • Portal only disbands incoming traffic
  • Decryption renders the unit unrecognizable by the Portal, meaning they don't disband in either direction.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Vorteks » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:44 am

I think the narrator did a good job in the video, but I'm afraid I agree with the others that I will probably just read the text in the future. The video didn't add anything for me, since the text and artwork were already on the page. As I listened to the video, I kept feeling like I wanted more energy in the reading, and wanted the reader to speed up a bit. He did modulate well when reading Parson's lines faster and with more energy though.

The content of the update was good though, and having the option of the video didn't take anything away from it. In the future, I might read the text myself first, and then listen to the video when I re-read the update on a subsequent day.
Vorteks
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby frei » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:47 am

I can't watch the video until I'm home from work, but even it was just the text/image, I love the new format!
frei

Postby Finn MacCool » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:54 am

hmm, in the first panel, parson somewhat resembles one of the boys from Bad Machinery.
Finn MacCool

Postby Smoker » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:12 am

I remember when Xin took over from Jamie. I was so invested in the Erfworld characters that I hated to see them represented differently to how I already knew them.

Now, having completely fallen in love with Xin's art, I find myself in the same position. Xin's representation is how I imagine the characters now, and it will take time for me to translate my investment in these characters to new art. I'm sure it will happen. Maybe.

The words though, I KNOW that will be hard. I have a tone and pace for Rob's narrative, plus all the nuances of voice for all of the characters... I dont know if I will ever be comfortable with someone else's interpretation of them. However, like others have said: I can simply elect to read.

In any case, I approach this with an open mind, and feel some kind of inspired confidence from Rob's enthusiasm for the project, so we will see how this works over the next few updates.

If feedback is of any use, I would say to speed it up, (although I suspect the current speed was to stretch out the length,) and stop making it sound like every line is so fascinating. It kinda lacked the steady buildup of the scene... having said that, if this is the interpretation of Artemis' POV, who am I to argue? I shall also be fair and recognise that this is a first, and the readers and artists all need to find their feet anew.
No, no. It hit him in the brain because it killed him. - Dante
Smoker

Postby Zippy the Squirrel » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:23 am

I like the new art. It's not Xin's, but it's not bad, either. And 25 2-panel pages of the new art should warm everybody else up to it as well.

That narrator sounds familiar. Kinda reminds me of Thomas Was Alone. I'll have to look up the VA guy later, see if he's done anything else.

Do all swordsmen not have scabbards or other ways to store their swords when not in use? Looking at them like that kinda bugs me.
Zippy the Squirrel
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Mawks » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:25 am

It may sound harsh, but this update was a low point for me in this series. The writing in this comic has always been superior, having someone else read it is awkward and unnecessary. It feels a lot like someone standing at a stop sign yelling "STOP". When something is as well written as Erfworld, the reader gets it. There is no confusion in content or feeling, it doesn't need to be spelled out by a narrator.

The new David Hahn art is meh at best compared to that of the previous artists. The second panel with Artemis centered is..well, just bad in both style and content. The style may just be a me thing, but it feels very high school art class. As for content if I focus just on the Artemis panel, she is reaching for nothing in a weird pose, and there doesn't seem to be any reason for this. As the archers are all stacked, from the writing, I am assuming they are "at the ready", but she has her bow in the wrong hand. I say its the wrong hand as in a previous comic (see Book 2-Text 52), she is right handed. Also, her arm guard is on the arm opposite the bow, which is not how that works. It looks like the new artist wanted to showcase the bow, and made the scene weird just to do it. I am not a fan of that.

At this point, I get that my argument could be discounted. One could argue that she is just holding it in the opposite hand for a moment. Fine. Sure. My follow up argument/question is then what happened to Sizemore's pants? On page 112 prior to the enclosure he has pants on. On page 114, when the enclosure is opened, he has pants on. For this update which is chronologically between them, no pants. I get making small errors, but not looking at what each character was wearing in the comic just prior is sloppy at best.

I am sorry that I am negative in this post. I have been a fan of the series since its start on the OOTS site, but the new art and format here pale in comparison.
Mawks

Postby No one in particular » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:27 am

Minor art quibble... shouldn't Sizemore have pants?

I know he had pants for most of LIAB, but it looks distinctly like leg hair & knees in the second pic there, and not just stains and wrinkles (as you'd expect from a dirtamancer).

Other than that, I'm not saying anything about the art, pacing or reading. Change is always hard to accept, and a single data point does not make a graph. I'll get back to you in a few more updates.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Not Me » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:33 am

MonteCristo wrote:Changing a unit from garrison to field unit requires a promotion that costs smuckers; as such just finding a loop hole that allows you to move a garrison unit out of the garrison would not change their status. The magic kingdom seems to function as one large city; the casters use zero move when moving around the magic kingdom and thus the garrison units with their zero move will have no trouble getting around either

We've already seen this "garrison unit moving out of the garrison" without the need of this loophole (decrypting bodies in the MK) at the end of Book 1 when Parson went through the portal and the garrison status was never lost. Parson only changed his status when he promoted himself in Book 2, but when I think about it, it seems there was no need for him to have promoted himself to do what he has done.
Garrison units have 0 move. He had 0 move before entering the MK in Book 2 and also had 0 move when entering Spacerock's portal.
Only question would be if despite not needing move to do it, being a Garrison unit would have prevented him from entering another side's Garrison. It's the only way I can see to justify Parson promoting himself at the time instead of waiting for GKs next turn to do so.
Not Me

Postby Frostbeard » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:55 am

0beron wrote:Well, that's assuming she is indeed stuck there. There are two ways she could still get out:
  • Portal only disbands incoming traffic
  • Decryption renders the unit unrecognizable by the Portal, meaning they don't disband in either direction.

It's also possible that the Magic Kingdom is a geographic area in Erfworld rather than something separate, in which case she could fly, ride or walk out.
Frostbeard
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Next

Return to Reactions