Book 2 - Epilogue 01 - Artemis Decrypted

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Epilogue 01 - Artemis Decrypted

Postby arkerpay » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:00 am

I think I'd prefer it if Rob had hired Ben Stein to do the voice work.
arkerpay

Postby arbo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:03 am

Beeskee wrote:"Heheh. Dude, we're, like, in the army now."
"Yeah, let's kill them with fire! FIRE!"

I so hope Rob is reading this. :lol:

That would explain why unled units auto-engage...
“Run this same calculation ten times in a row. Go.”
arbo
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby effataigus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:09 am

splintermute wrote:
No one in particular wrote:I think it's the nostrils. It looks like someone farted, and everyone is trying to figure out what the smell is.

The stabber leaning in towards Parson's bracer arm in the first panel is clearly the one who dealt it.

I think you're assuming it was accidental. I'm imagining that Parson is saying...

"Hey guys. Check it out. POOT!"

Your guy is just the only one who found it funny.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby drachefly » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:20 am

THe first image is good.

The second... what are Parson and Artemis doing? He's just standing there with a blank look on his face, and she's, like, trying to grab an illusion or something. Neither is issuing orders. Neither is ready for action, nor getting ready for action.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:24 am

I assumed she was standing up for the first time in that image.
edit* But yeah, on looking closer, the wall is clearly blown open at that point. Maybe she is just shocked and is reaching for the entrance/magic kingdom/tunnel of light?
edit** You move towards that light soldier! You move toward that light and you give those angels an ass full of boot! That's an order!
Edit*** No wait, that's not the damaged wall, that's just how the roof is shaped? Then, maybe that IS her getting up for the first time, and the panel layout is just weird?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby m4onixtj » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:22 am

I'm a little torn. On the one hand, I really do like the new format. The voice actor is excellent as well as the addition of the artwork in conjunction with the story.

On the other hand, I'll be a little sad not to see the "comic strip" format at all, if it goes away. I understand the reasoning for it, and definitely look forward to more frequent updates.

I guess I just like to eat my cake, and then eat some more cake. ;)
m4onixtj

Postby the_tick_rules » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:23 pm

This is a very unique page wasn't it?
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby GWvsJohn » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:07 pm

m4onixtj wrote:I'm a little torn. On the one hand, I really do like the new format. The voice actor is excellent as well as the addition of the artwork in conjunction with the story.

On the other hand, I'll be a little sad not to see the "comic strip" format at all, if it goes away. I understand the reasoning for it, and definitely look forward to more frequent updates.

I guess I just like to eat my cake, and then eat some more cake. ;)

Why are people acting like the normal strip might go away? Isn't this (and the next few) like the summer updates 2009, short stories between books?
GWvsJohn

Postby laeelin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:59 pm

I loved the voice over! I also second the vote for either dropping the caption or changing to YouTube's caption system so we can hide the text.

While I would prefer the original full page comic, the idea of getting so many updates to the story is more than worth it!

While I'm in here, I would buy an audiobook in a heartbeat!
laeelin

Postby mortissimus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:22 pm

GWvsJohn wrote:Isn't this (and the next few) like the summer updates 2009, short stories between books?

Yes.

GWvsJohn wrote:Why are people acting like the normal strip might go away?

Dunno, maybe they don't scroll down and read

So...Finally! Here's the experiment I have been planning for a year. The Book 2 epilogues will consist of about 25 updates, each with a short page of text and two full-color illustrations by David Hahn. Accompanying each update is a video of 2-to-2 1/2 minutes in length, which we're calling an "illustrated audiobook," for want of a snappier term.

Or maybe they don't interpret it the way I do - this is an experiment, normal Erf will return afterwards - because they are to used to finding hidden meanings in Rob's writing.
mortissimus

Postby The_Rats » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:39 pm

It seem Sizemore switched outfit between book 1 and 2, more specifically between the end of the battle for Gobwin knob, and his visit to Marie in the Magic Kingdom where they discussed his leveling up and his new insight in his discipline.

I suppose at the end of the turn, or start of theirs signamancy made him switch outfit, to reflect his new abilities. He mixed both outfit as of his learning of Erfworld, reading the books he remembered sizemore in bare hairy legs, and in late comic pages we barely saw his jeans/legs.
The_Rats
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:00 pm

But this is between scenes of the end of book 2...
drachefly

Postby Enepttastic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:39 pm

Alrighty, someone already mentioned Sizemore's disappearing pants so I won't mutter any more about that.

I'll admit, I was a bit worried about the art style when I saw the previews of the Erfabet book, I recall one of them showing Parson and was not impressed in the slightest then. There's improvement from that here(either skill or just a better grasp of drawing the Erfworld style). Now, while I'm not blown away by the art, I think that's more due to being used to Xin's style than anything and will give myself time to adjust.

As for the voice-over, I'll be honest and say I didn't care for it. This has nothing to do with Arthur's work, in fact he sounded pretty damned good as a narrator, it's just that if there's a choice between reading and listening, I always opt for reading.

I am happy to know that updates inbound and on a schedule, always good news.
Enepttastic

Postby ManaCaster » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:09 pm

0beron wrote:Well, that's assuming she is indeed stuck there. There are two ways she could still get out:
  • Portal only disbands incoming traffic
  • Decryption renders the unit unrecognizable by the Portal, meaning they don't disband in either direction.

Another alternative. There was that discussion in a previous thread about expanding the Magic Kingdom. Maybe that'll actually happen. The Magic Kingdom will become the new Erfworld and she will be one of its early pioneers.
ManaCaster

Postby Vorpa1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:25 pm

I enjoyed the narration. However, I would be very disappointed if this was the intended format for book 3 and onwards. I felt that it worked well for the epilogue, but book 3 NEEDS to be a proper comic, not some text and a couple of pictures. On another note it would be really enjoyable if the narration was done for IPTSF.
Vorpa1
Tool + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:21 pm

GWvsJohn wrote:Why are people acting like the normal strip might go away? Isn't this (and the next few) like the summer updates 2009, short stories between books?
He talked on the facebook page (or maybe it was google) about maybe making this the book 3 format months (years?) ago when Xin first started having her update problems.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:42 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:He talked on the facebook page (or maybe it was google) about maybe making this the book 3 format months (years?) ago when Xin first started having her update problems.
That's disturbing. I hope we get a confirmation that there is no longer a possibility of that happening. The new drawing style seems slightly rough, but I'm sure that will disappear once we have the natural continuity and flow that comes with panels in a comic page. As a series of isolated scenes there is far more potential for people to find faults, but being immersed in the drawings will give people a better understanding of what to expect from the style.

For example, Artemis's pose is a bit unclear because it lacks context. Some people suggested that she is standing up and getting her balance and that explains it well, but people didn't immediately see that because the image lacks context. In context we would see that she was lying down in the previous panel, or perhaps in the next panel we would see what she is reaching for. Either way, the problem would be solved. That's why it's so important to see this drawing style in a proper comic so that we can properly appreciate it.
Lilwik

Postby Somna » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:42 am

I'm going to agree with others that I wouldn't want to see this as the "standard" format.

However, using it for something like the Klogs, on the other hand...
Somna

Postby wih » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:04 am

Pretty sure that was years ago. Very much doubt we'll see it in the standard comics.
wih

Postby Doctor Foreman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:22 am

the_tick_rules wrote:This is a very unique page wasn't it?

No, just unique. Something is unique or it isn't.
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions