The GMTTA Transcribed

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

The GMTTA Transcribed

Postby Mikalyaran » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:33 pm

Issac Cipher
Side of Origin: Scytale
Level: 11
Class: Headmaster (Master of Thinkamancy and Lookamancy, Adept of Foolamancy)

Quote: "I once dreamed that I was following my own Grandiocosmic String to its source, pulling myself downward, hand-over-hand. I was heading toward a place of ultimate meaning, perhaps Ark itself. But then my hand grabbed onto the part of the string responsible for creating the dream, and I woke. I wish I hadn't grabbed it so hard."

Issac served three different sides over a long career. Popped in Scytale, he was eventually traded in a diplomatic agreement with Viagara Falls. After more then 5000 turns there, he was captured by the Republic Domain, turned, and resided there until his release when the side suddenly expired 7,600 turns ago.

Although he was always a competent and reliable Thinkamancer, it was only as a barbarian caster that he discovered an interest in the fundamentals of magic and to explore his discipline. He was accepted early into the Great Minds that Think Alike, who appreciated his clam and polite demeanor as much as his intellect.

As he turned his studies to other forms of Eyemancy, Issac made some deeply disturbing observations and discoveries. In particular he discovered important implications about Charlie's attunement to the Arkendish. These revelations began to turns the Great Minds away from the petty gossip of the Magic Kingdom and towards the exploration of broader questions about their world.

Issac often hires out to sides all over Erfworld, but prefers short contracts. By means of his long lifetime of active casting, he recently achieved the rarely reached level of 11. Although this makes his the highest Headmaster in the Magic Kingdom, Issac leads only when necessary. His mind is usually elsewhere.
Mikalyaran
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Re: The GMTTA Transcribed

Postby Mikalyaran » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:41 pm

Roger Victor Clarence
Side of Origin: Overthrone
Level: 10
Class: Headmaster (Master of Thinkamancy, Adept of Foolamancy, Novice of Lookamancy)

Quote: "Thinkamancy is a beacon, a lantern which casts shadows. By our studies, we become increasingly enlightened. But the more brightly we shine, the more those in the shadows will complain about the darkness."

The oldest of the Great Minds that Think Alike, Roger is revered for his great power and keen judgement. He usually speaks little and listens intently, except when he is lecturing on Titanic scripture. He has lived in the Magic Kingdom most of his life, having been hastily dismissed from service by King Napoleon XIV as enemies came to take him away.

Roger see Thinkamancy as the "purest" discipline of magic, arguing that reality is entirely of the mind. He is also a strict beleiver in the Toyal Titanic mandate, and only offers his services to Royal sides.

He has followed the events surrounding the Arkentools with increasing dismay, having served three members of the Royal Crown Coalition at various times. At the time of the Battle for Gobwin Knob, he was in the employ of Queen Bea of Unaroyal.
Last edited by Mikalyaran on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikalyaran

Postby Mikalyaran » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Lady Tisha Necrosis
Side of Origin: none, popped feral
Level: 9
Class: Master of Thinkmancy

Quote: "Most people keep their fundamental flaws well-hidden by their superficial flaws."

A caster popping in the wild is a particularly rare occurrence. Tisha popped in a ruin at the top of a mountain, with rain and lightening pounding the crumbling towers and fallen stone arches all around her.

For nearly two thousand turns, she calls the rain soaked ruin her home. She reached out to nearby side by mental contact, never showing herself physically. She sustained her upkeep by contracting out for basic long-distance Thinkamancy services and espionage.

By experiencing a variety of minds at a distance, the analytical Tisha began to form theories about personality and thought. Eventually she shared her ideas with the only person she called a friend: the Overlady of Jungstown, who was called Pink Freud. Overlady Pink invited Tisha to come in out of the rain. Tisha accepted, and became a subject of Jungstown.

For another eleven thousand turns, the two of them developed complicated theories of the mind together. But then the Overlady popped a turbulent new heir, a son named Edifice Wrex. Within forty turns, Jungstown was in ruins, the Overlady and her son were both slain, and Tisha fled to the Magic Kingdom.

Tisha is now known for applying her concepts to the healing of minds and is much in demand among rulers and casters alike. She is perhaps the most trusted Thinkamancer for handling link-ups, and she herself formed the link which created the scroll to Summon the Perfect Warlord.
Mikalyaran

Postby Mikalyaran » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Kommissar Jintao Oowa'o
Side of Origin: Tar Zhay
Level: 6
Class: Adept of Thinkamancy, Adept of Foolamancy

Quote: "Don't turn around"

Kommissar Jintao is the most reticent of the Great Minds. He tends not to verbalize, but tends not to sub-vocalized with other Thinkmancers unless directly questioned.

Originally from the strange and inscrutable jungle empire side of Tar Zhay, Jintao is one of the few Magic Kingdom caster to be freely released as a barbarian by a healthy and successful side. The Kommissar visits his former capital frequently. He is known to hire out to side which Tar Zhay has an interest in "studying" but his upkeep is apparently covered by his old side when necessary.

It is said that Tar Zhay's ruler is permanently incapacitated, and the side is giverened by a ruling council of commander units called kommissars. Jintao retains this title, and will discuss the matter with no-one.
Last edited by Mikalyaran on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mikalyaran

A.V. Club
Side of Origin: Napster
Level: 8
Class: Master of Thinkamancy, novice of Foolamancy and Lookamancy)

Quote: "We live in a world that's completely dependent upon magic, in which hardly anyone knows anything about magic. Dangerous, isn't it?"

Popped in the city of Grokster for the non-royal side of Napster, A.V. was well liked for her curiosity and sunny disposition. Boredom with her duties often got the better of her at home, though, and her experiment to understand aspect of her discipline sometimes went badly. She was frequently in trouble with one or more factions of her deeply fractious side.

A.V. tried to spend as much time as she could among other Thinkmancers in the Magic Kingdom. She spent her extra juice on calls to the Thinkamancers of sides far away. As often as allowed, she would link with Napster's other caster's, sometimes creating new spells and magic items of various degrees of usefulness.

One of these creations, a headband that allowed the wearer an intuition for Signamancy, proved to be her entire side's undoing. Squabbles in the capital lost them the war, and A.V. was released to the Magic Kingdom in an act of spite by the Chief Warlord against the Ruler.

Like most barbarian Thinkamancers A.V. has no trouble maintaining her upkeep by hiring out in short contracts to s few favored sides. She spends much of the rest of her time helping headmaster Issac tinker with his experimental equipment, or playing abstracted strategy or word games with the other Great Minds.
Last edited by Mikalyaran on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mikalyaran

Radiant Magical Empress Snacki Saltina
Side of Origin: Dystokyo
Level: 6
Class: Adept of Thinkamancy

Quote: "In the magic Kingdom there is much thought and little action. Outside the Magic Kingdom the reverse is true.

Empress Saltina is one of a tiny handful of casters in the Magic Kingdom who ever ruled a side. She led Dystokyo until it fell to the Margarine Empire 1,300 turns ago.

Saltine was a favorite of the Imperial court of Dkstokyo, almost from the turn she popped. She leveled quickly, proving her usefulness time and again as counsel and confidant to Emperor Scup, who ultimately promoted her to a position as Cheif Thinkamancer and made her his heir.

Scup fell in a battle that he was advised by his Predictamancer not to led. Saltina found herself occupying the throne, with enemies closing in for the final blow. Ill-equipped to lead a war, she also attempted to direct a battle herself, only to be stranded in the field as her capital fell.

Thus captured by the notoriously slippery tactics of Imperial Margarine, she was taken prisoner and held at the capital. She refused to turn, though, and eventually escaped by means of a Thinkamancy suggestion. She fled through Margarine's portal into the Magic Kingdom, where she has since remained.

Preferring to offer her services to other casters rather than hire out to a side, Saltina is one of the better-known Thinkamancers around the Magic Kingdom. She retains her full title and formal rainment. Despite its proscription, there are rumors that she may be interested in founding a new Dystokyo someday.
Last edited by Mikalyaran on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mikalyaran

Postby Mikalyaran » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:56 pm

Pamelor Ambien
Side of Origin: Hoffspace
Level: 7
Class: Master of Thinkamancy

Quote: "Powerful truth is like powerful wind. Let's blow our minds again and again."

The seaside city of Hoffspace, although now conquered, remains legendary. Its naval power was as feared as its quality of life was envied. Its mysterious and eponymous ruler The Hoff preacher morale as a central pillar of a successful side. Consequently, the days in the capital were filled with recreation and the nights with revelry.

Lady Pamelor was popped in the Capital, and took to life their life a red-breasted duck to water. Her party pranks involving Thinkamancy made her an instant darling of the side. Her attractive Signamancy didn't hurt, either.

The fall of Hoffspace fo the Pittwater Council left Pamelor down and out in the Magic Kingdom. She has bounced back, though, becoming the youngest Thinkamancer to join the Great Minds.Her free-form Thinkamancy style she impressed her peers. Her attempts to loosen them up and apply The Hoff's ideas about recreation, though, have been met with skepticism.
Last edited by Mikalyaran on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikalyaran

Postby No one in particular » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:09 pm

*froths at mouth*

So... much... info! Ages! Full names! So good!

Thank you, very much.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Shai_hulud » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:54 pm

Welp, the mysterious Unaroyal Thinkamancer revealed at last.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby ManaCaster » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:53 am

Since Balder said transcriptions of the extra info is OK for the wiki, I guess someone should add it. How should the page(s) be titled?
ManaCaster

Postby Lilwik » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:30 am

ManaCaster wrote:How should the page(s) be titled?
They should be titled by the names of the Thinkamancers. Many of these Thinkamancers already have pages and this just means that their canon information section should be expanded.
Lilwik

Postby Mikalyaran » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:44 am

While I am happy to have had the chance to transcribe this info for everyone I would also like to say this: Buy the book! So worth it. The drawings (which Rob requested not be added) are absolutely wonderful and everything you'd expect from Xin and reading it myself from the source was quite nice. Purchase earns a well worth it.

Did anyone else almost lose is when reading that A.V. Club was released to the MK against her rulers wishes! CW apparently have a lot more powerful than we realized. And if what's rumored from Tar Zhay is true...I can only suppose CW somehow has the ability to set production for a side as well when it comes down to it.
Mikalyaran

Postby 0beron » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:07 am

Shai_hulud wrote:Welp, the mysterious Unaroyal Thinkamancer revealed at last.

I wouldn't be so sure that Roger is who she was referring to in her note, because how could a Ruler demand anything of a Caster that wasn't actually hers? A Contract isn't the same as them fully turning to your side. Now, why she ever would have bothered to hire a second Thinkamancer when she already had one of her own plus Bunny, is beyond me. So perhaps she was referring to Roger in her letter, and was simply being a pompous stuck-up queen thinking that she had any say in his future career.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:57 am

Mikalyaran wrote:Pamelor Ambien

The fall of Hoffspace fo the Pittwater Council left Pamelor down and out in the Magic Kingdom. She has bounced back, though, becoming the youngest Thinkamancer to join the Great Minds. He free-form Thinkamancy style she impressed her peers. Her attempts to loosen them up and apply The Hoff's ideas about recreation, though, have been met with skepticism.

Point of clarification: should that be "Her free-form Thinkamancy style impressed her peers," "With her free-form Thinkamancy style she impressed her peers," or "He free-form Thinkamancy style she impressed her peers. [sic]"?
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Mikalyaran » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:06 pm

Corrected
Mikalyaran

Postby 0beron » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:13 pm

I'm intrigued/impressed that Pamalor somehow managed to reach level SEVEN so quickly, despite having (from the sounds of it) never seen much or even any battle at all!
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby MadZuri » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:23 pm

0beron wrote:I'm intrigued/impressed that Pamalor somehow managed to reach level SEVEN so quickly, despite having (from the sounds of it) never seen much or even any battle at all!

That's a LOT of "party pranks."
MadZuri

Postby drachefly » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:00 pm

Yes. I did some simple division. I assumed that the XP progression was 2^Level * 1000 XP like classic D&D and got these results. They're silly of course since you'd expect a higher level character to be able to gain XP quicker than a lower one. Still, could provide a guideline.

Isaac:
2M XP/21.5kt (14 kt before MK)
~ 100 xp/turn overall

Roger:
1M XP/28.8kt
~ 30 xp/turn

Tisha:
500k XP/20.2kt (13kt before MK)
~ 50xp/turn

AV
256k XP/14kt
~ 19xp/turn

Jintao:
64k XP/9.5kt
~ 7 xp/turn

Saltina:
64k XP / 6.7kt (5 kt before MK)
~ 10 xp/turn

Pamelor:
128k XP/2.9kt
~ 40 xp/turn

So, we see that Pamelor has been gaining XP at a rate more typical of a very high-leveled unit like Tisha or Roger...

Anyway... I can see ways she could have levelled up that much. If they werre an oceangoing side, then it's likely they were attacked from air. Setting off air defenses would be something she could do. Especially if they repelled one or more assaults and so were able to restock before the final assault. And doubly especially if ships can have spells hung on them, not just city towers.

How so? Well, using naval power against shore units would have been a common tactic, and could have led to her getting out of the city often, running the magic component of the fleet's air defenses. Then she could have been in the field frequently. And as we've seen, fighting is a fast way to level.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:32 pm

drachefly wrote: And doubly especially if ships can have spells hung on them, not just city towers.
Is that just speculation, or something that was actually discussed at Gencon or something?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Mikalyaran » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:41 pm

drachefly wrote:Yes. I did some simple division. I assumed that the XP progression was 2^Level * 1000 XP like classic D&D and got these results. They're silly of course since you'd expect a higher level character to be able to gain XP quicker than a lower one. Still, could provide a guideline.

...math removed to save space...

So, we see that Pamelor has been gaining XP at a rate more typical of a very high-leveled unit like Tisha or Roger...

Anyway... I can see ways she could have levelled up that much. If they werre an oceangoing side, then it's likely they were attacked from air. Setting off air defenses would be something she could do. Especially if they repelled one or more assaults and so were able to restock before the final assault. And doubly especially if ships can have spells hung on them, not just city towers.

How so? Well, using naval power against shore units would have been a common tactic, and could have led to her getting out of the city often, running the magic component of the fleet's air defenses. Then she could have been in the field frequently. And as we've seen, fighting is a fast way to level.

Word of the Titans

Higher levels cost more, on a kind of exponential scale that may vary by a large number of factors including the type of unit leveling, the type and number and levels of units croaked, and other activities involving the leveling unit's special abilities that may not even constitute combat. But the main thing is that you should imagine something like a logarithmic curve (not saying it literally is logarithmic), whereby low levels are achievable with a little combat, but levels above 10 or 11 become extremely difficult to obtain, and something like a level 20 unit is completely unheard of. Also notable is that not all of the numbers are available to the units and commanders to calculate, and so the existence of a predicable system of leveling at all is in the realm of the theoretical Mathamancers. Units cannot actually predict when they are going to level (Jillian is being flippant when she tells the Archons, "Cmon, it'll be fun. You'll level." but it would be a reasonable bet they might if they took out a stack of dwagons.)
Mikalyaran

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld