New format

Page by page discussion of the comic.

New format

Postby Gamer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:17 am

The new format allows for more frequent updates of Erfworld, which is good. However, I must say I still prefer the original format. It no longer feels like a cartoon. The images are too few, and thus too spread out, to tell the story independently. They now are just illustrations to the text. My personal opinion is that Erfworld was better conveyed by, and better suited to, a cartoon than to an illustrated text. I realize that making great drawings take time, but I think it's worth it. The story in Book 2 was marvellously told by Xin's drawings.
Gamer

Re: New format

Postby wih » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:47 am

It's likely this format will only be for the Book 2 Epilogue.
wih

Postby Gamer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:19 am

Perhaps. But Rob asked for feedback on the format, and that's what I'm offering. I hope others will voice their opinions on this matter too. And I really hope you're right, and that Book 3 will consist of "ordinary" cartoons again.
Gamer

Postby Doctor Foreman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:10 am

Weirdly, I feel uncomfortable with your use of the term "cartoon" to describe the art. I think in my head "cartoon" describes humor or satire rather than sequential art.

This is not at all a statement about Arthur Chu's abilities as a voice actor, but the reading doesn't do a thing for me. Tinkering with media is all very well and something of which the world could use more, but vocal talent is somewhat wasted to me when you've got motionless art and the text right in front of you. It's like those script readings where you're constantly bored because your eyes have scanned the page much faster than anyone could read it, and now you have to wait for it to be repeated so you can move on.

Of course I could just watch/listen rather than read, but to be terribly honest I don't need more excuses to not read things.

I would have said similarly curmudgeonly things about the text updates if it weren't for the mitigating behind-the-scenes stuff.
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby meowx » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:41 pm

I absolutely loved Erfworld, book 1. Jamie Noguchi's unique art style was superb, and really drew you in.

I've also enjoyed book 2. The art feels a bit limited - for the sake of consistency, Xin is forced to emulate Jamie's style (or at least, that's what it looks like). But it's still very nice looking.

These new epilogue pages.... ehhhhh. The art is very amateur. The format is very non-standard.

I'm always glad to see people trying new things, but please keep Erfworld as a (superbly illustrated) comic. That is what its fans are here to see.
meowx

Postby Shai_hulud » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:45 pm

Why do so many people say the art is amateur or that he can't draw in general? The stuff on his homepage seems ok.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby ftl » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:09 am

Because they're contrasting it with Xin's incredibly detailed style.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby TheLiontamer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:Why do so many people say the art is amateur or that he can't draw in general? The stuff on his homepage seems ok.

Because the art in the text updates compared to his Comic Book fanart on his homepage looks Amateur? It was literally depressing for me to view these last few text udpates...
TheLiontamer

Postby Lamech » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:11 pm

ftl wrote:Because they're contrasting it with Xin's incredibly detailed style.

Basically this. Its solid art, but its a different style and Xin had years of drawing Erfworld on the new guy. The new guy has great art.
Lamech

Postby Kreistor » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Please go back to the first few pages of Book 2 and review Xin's art. It has evolved and improved throughout the comic. People made the same complaints in her first days, too, because anytime you switch an artist, you are initially disappointed simply because it is different, and can't really act as an objective judge because you have preformed expectations.

The new guy is just starting. expect the same. The art will improve with practice, and us getting used to the new imagery.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby Finn MacCool » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:24 pm

Kreistor wrote:Please go back to the first few pages of Book 2 and review Xin's art. It has evolved and improved throughout the comic. People made the same complaints in her first days, too, because anytime you switch an artist, you are initially disappointed simply because it is different, and can't really act as an objective judge because you have preformed expectations.

i know i didn't have any complaints back then. because her style, while different, still fit the bill.
David's style, on the other hand, no matter how good he is, just seems somewhat off to me.
Finn MacCool

Postby Gamer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:08 am

I'm definitely willing to give the new guy a chance. I agree that a new artist will take some getting used to. But I DO hope that the format will return to a "regular" comic format by the start of book 3. Two drawings and text may work for the epilogue, but to me, it won't work for an entire book.
Gamer

Postby alowe » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:59 pm

Takes a little getting used to but Erfworld is evolving. There's text only parts. Different arts styles all excellent. Now audio focused on a few scenes. As people grow in confidence they'll explore new ways. All it needs is a little faith and foresight from the readers. There's more than enough potential here to justify this.

At the end of the day what matters to me is the ambiance and depth of story. Lose either one and Erfworld dies. Everything else can change as long as those two factors remain. I think it's working and it's till early days for the new format.
alowe

Postby mmooneybsa » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:55 pm

Tuesday, I checked out the update (Monday's) on my phone, and found out the format really sucked on phone screens:
  • Comic updates can be viewed 1 panel at a time.
  • Text updates conform to phone width.
  • The new format with text as an image is not legible (for lack of a better term). Text does not conform to phone width, forcing you to scroll side to side with each line, making it not worth the effort.

I'm glad to see the update today is in 2 columns, which make it legible on a phone again.
I don't talk on forums much, because I'll be a dick ;)
mmooneybsa
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Darkdiashi » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:44 pm

Gamer wrote:I'm definitely willing to give the new guy a chance. I agree that a new artist will take some getting used to. But I DO hope that the format will return to a "regular" comic format by the start of book 3. Two drawings and text may work for the epilogue, but to me, it won't work for an entire book.

I completely agree. I love all the experimentation Erfworld has in terms of formatting all the extra parts, but I'll be devastated if they replace the regular comic pages with this.
Darkdiashi

Postby King Mir » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:41 pm

IMO the best is a bona fide commic, with the setting given through pannels instead of text. But for the walls of texts in this epiloge, I like the naration and prefer it to reading the text myself, such as is the format for Book 0.
King Mir

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:21 pm

Hasn't it been stated that this format is just being used for the epilogue? Just like how they did the 'summer updates' back during the transition from book 1 to book 2?

That said, I'd like it if the text was removed from the youtube clip. It is kinda annoying as I automatically read the lines put up, then have to wait for them to actually be said, which really takes alot out of it. I'm fairly sure you can embed cc into the video as something that can be turned on and off, so giving that option would be really nice.

Whatever else can be said about these updates, I have to say I'm loving getting an update every few days. Seems like every time I look at erfworld, there is another update.

I'm sure the comic will return to a comic once we hit book 3, and I look forward to that. A new artist will always feel odd, and I think that these summer updates are already showing some improvements on the Erfabet pictures. This will honestly be a great chance for him to get more practice with Erfworld before he starts throwing up full page comics. While I don't think he'll match Xin (every artist has their own style after all) I do think he'll be able to do a stand-up job once he really gets his Erf-legs (eyes, hands, pencils?) on.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby YesNinja » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:41 am

I'd be cool with it if it basically did what the text updates did. It's here for a while, and then the comic comes back, and whenever they can't do comic updates (for whatever reason) they do this little mini-update just to get in people's heads or explain what's going on in a different part of the world or whatever. If that makes sense.

I'm trying desperately to be coherent and I don't think it's working. XD
YesNinja

Postby LordAcme » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:33 pm

I am ok with the short format, provided the writing maintains the quality we've seen so far. While I love the graphic novel format, I'm equally good with a straight-up novel with illustrations. I wish Books 0, 1 and 2 were available in novel format, I'd buy them all right now.

However, I don't watch the voiced-over videos. All of the delivery methods between still pages and full animation seem to be an "uncanny valley" for me - give me something to read or something to watch, nothing in-between please.
LordAcme
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Return to Reactions