Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 073

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 073

Postby Lipkin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:50 am

If Stanley got wrecked, why would Banhammer evacuate? Lulled into thinking he had beaten fate, he instead stays. Wanda, knowing better, croaks him.

My point wasn't that such an exact thing would happen, just that as soon as Banhanner attempted to do something to change his fate, it would already be too late.

I think Charlie was more involved than just making the call. Charlie being behind the Gobwin revolt means Charlie is responsible for Stanley becoming Overlord. Stanley being Overlord and having the hammer lead to the creation of the RCC. Suddenly, Charlie has a ton of new clients. Charlie created a world power, just so he could profit off the war to defeat him.

I think Charlie is responsible for all the extra Dwagons that Stanley found on his way. It would have been no good for Charlie had Stanley croaked in his assault on Faq. By ensuring Faq's destruction, Charlie ensures Stanley ends up growing powerful enough to be a threat to the world.
Lipkin

Postby BakaGrappler » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:37 am

Lipkin wrote:If Stanley got wrecked, why would Banhammer evacuate? Lulled into thinking he had beaten fate, he instead stays. Wanda, knowing better, croaks him.

I think you forgot that Banhammer and FAQ have a Lookamancer. They would see Stanley's numbers swelling unnaturally and know they are screwed long before the fact.
An epic space opera where you fully customize your Captain's Background, Military Career, and Court Martial.
Will you prevent civilization from fracturing and win back your honor? Or betray the Empress' trust and plunder the galaxy?
BakaGrappler

Postby Lipkin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:54 am

BakaGrappler wrote:
Lipkin wrote:If Stanley got wrecked, why would Banhammer evacuate? Lulled into thinking he had beaten fate, he instead stays. Wanda, knowing better, croaks him.

I think you forgot that Banhammer and FAQ have a Lookamancer. They would see Stanley's numbers swelling unnaturally and know they are screwed long before the fact.

Unless said Lookamancer is in a meeting talking about pointless stuff.

Banhammer is stupid, and fate is against him. That's alls I'm saying.
Lipkin

Postby Jinren » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:59 am

hajo wrote:
MonteCristo wrote:
Prediction: Banhammer and Charlie negotiate an agreement whereby the surviving Faq court returns to their prior lands and collectively promise never to reveal any of his secrets in exchange for Charlie's assurance that he will not reveal Faq's whereabouts.

Actually in the previous epilogue, Jack implied that Charlie payed a high price to keep his secrets. It won't be easy for Faq to rebuild after everything they have lost, but it could be that right now, Charlie is giving them a price for their silence; Faq agrees to remain silent about everything they heard in exchange for a huge payout that will help them rebuild.

FAQ only needs to rebuild 3 citys. Haffaton had about 50 citys.
When Jillian sacked Progrock of GK, she got 40000 schmuckers out of it.

So, just razing all that cities should be enough to get all the money FAQ needs for rebuilding.
No need for Charlie to actually pay something, so I think the "high price" will be something else...

FAQ have neither claim nor access to any cities other than el-Efbaum. Other sides with full-strength militaries are going to be swarming through the borders at the start of the next turn. It might even be that Haffaton was so big that new stuff starts popping in the vast emptiness to pad out the world (not that there's any evidence that things work this way, but...).
Jinren

Postby Slicer » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:33 am

What Parson is Fated to do isn't the actual plot. The plot is Parson against Fate and the rules of Erfworld in general. Wanda assumes that Fate is a force that cannot be denied, which is true only because it's part of the game of Erfworld. It, like everything else in Erfworld, is an artificial construct like the hex boundaries and the stats. Which Parson's real goal is to tear apart.

He already breaks a rule on a regular basis: he can swear. He gained this ability by sacrificing an artifact. Perhaps with all four reality-altering Arkentools- or even by sacrificing them- Parson could put an end to Erfworld's rules.
Slicer

Postby Oberon » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:26 am

Inner Peace (Through Superior Firepower) – Episode 073 wrote:The High Elves were Haffaton’s natural allies, and when the side fell, they could have continued their turn. They could have taken this city while everyone was incapacitated, sacked it for Shmuckers. Why didn’t they?

“What are they doing out there?”

“Celebrating, I suppose,” said Wanda. “It was they who burned the Garden.”
Yet more evidence of Charlie's influence over natural allies. The perfect screw job, because who suspects the cadet side that relies on you for their support every turn?

Gobwins turn on GK for but a single key turn, killing the royal leader and vaulting Stanley into the overlorship;
Gobwins vanish after the volcano erupts;
High Elves fail to take actions which are clearly in their best interests, passing their turn to Charlie and celebrating the burning of the Olive Garden instead of sacking the city and making a huge pile of shmuckers.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby davidj » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:32 am

Lilwik wrote:
Lipkin wrote:Since we haven't really seen evidence that Marie is incompetent, I think it's likely she lets it happen.
That's a delightfully wild and believable idea. Predictamancers are strange in that they look to the future to make their decisions in a way no one else can, so it's almost impossible to know what might motivate Marie to do whatever she does.

Besides prediction stuff, it's also been implied that Marie may have personal motivations involving Wanda. At least Janis thinks she may. And whatever Jack's reminding Jillian of.

If Banhammer was warned, he may not have tried to avert fate. He didn't with the first fall of Faq.
davidj

Postby CorrTerek » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:43 am

Oberon wrote:Yet more evidence of Charlie's influence over natural allies. The perfect screw job, because who suspects the cadet side that relies on you for their support every turn?

Gobwins turn on GK for but a single key turn, killing the royal leader and vaulting Stanley into the overlorship;
Gobwins vanish after the volcano erupts;
High Elves fail to take actions which are clearly in their best interests, passing their turn to Charlie and celebrating the burning of the Olive Garden instead of sacking the city and making a huge pile of shmuckers.

I'm wondering if that's the real reason Charlie put everyone under an NDA. While Parson is certainly clever enough to make use of what Jack has already told him, this seems like something that Parson would really want to know right now -- or as soon as possible. I wonder if Jack even knows? Wanda was the one who told Jillian about it.
CorrTerek

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:02 pm

“You told them where my father was?” said Jillian, alarmed. “They could croak him!”

Wanda’s lips curled, and she gave a slight shrug. She seemed dazed. “Then you would be Queen, and have your vengeance, I suppose.” She raised her good arm and put a bony hand on Olive’s shoulder. “As I have mine.”
Jillian would have her vengeance on Charlie, or Banhammer? The statement is ambiguous.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Mikalyaran » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:11 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:
“You told them where my father was?” said Jillian, alarmed. “They could croak him!”

Wanda’s lips curled, and she gave a slight shrug. She seemed dazed. “Then you would be Queen, and have your vengeance, I suppose.” She raised her good arm and put a bony hand on Olive’s shoulder. “As I have mine.”
Jillian would have her vengeance on Charlie, or Banhammer? The statement is ambiguous.

Can't it be both?
Mikalyaran
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby LordBiscuit » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:00 pm

Can't put my finger on why, but I feel touched by this update.

She stepped over to the uncroaked woman and touched her blonde hair, brushing a little curl out of her/it’s eye. Olive did not flinch, or even blink.

I'm gonna be terribly annoying here, but shouldn't that be "its"?
LordBiscuit
Tool + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Jinren » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:04 pm

Oberon wrote:High Elves fail to take actions which are clearly in their best interests, passing their turn to Charlie and celebrating the burning of the Olive Garden instead of sacking the city and making a huge pile of shmuckers.

Natural allies don't use shmuckers, apparently, and sustain themselves by non-combat ("realistic"?) means. Would there be any actual reason for them to attack once Haffaton is gone and no longer commanding them?
Jinren

Postby niklinna » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:52 pm

Slicer wrote:He already breaks a rule on a regular basis: he can swear. He gained this ability by sacrificing an artifact. Perhaps with all four reality-altering Arkentools- or even by sacrificing them- Parson could put an end to Erfworld's rules.

I don't think Parson gained that ability by sacrificing the artifact. He just asserted himself in great anger, and showed Erfworld who was the boss of him by tossing the crutch It thought he needed. Regardless, Parson has indeed shown he can defy a law—however minor-seeming—of Erfworld, and so he may well be able to defy Fate itself.
niklinna
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby niklinna » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:54 pm

MonteCristo wrote:I feel like the high elves may have always hated Olive for how she used the garden to pervert hippimancy. though It does beg the question though why they never broke their alliance like we have seen other natural allies do if that's how they felt about her... could be that they feared her and Faq too much. or could be part of their nature that they would never betray a side they become a part of. However, Once Olive was captured the High elves saw their chance to get rid of the despised garden and be rid of Olive for good; hence why they made no effort to help olive or take the city afterward

Are you sure they didn't do it just to get a really awesome buzz from all the, er, "medicinal" plants she had there? ;)
niklinna
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby SNfinity » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:05 pm

As far as the Banhammer/Fate/Marie issue goes, is there any reason to believe he wasn't in on the whole thing? This whole "peace on Erf" thing seems right up his alley, and he wouldn't be the first ruler to be involved. Also, why does everyone seem to think he would try to stop Fate from croaking him? He was resigned to his first Fate, and his second Fate was literally "you will sacrifice yourself for peace on Erf". He was probably thrilled.
SNfinity

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:23 pm

niklinna wrote:
Are you sure they didn't do it just to get a really awesome buzz from all the, er, "medicinal" plants she had there? ;)

I was about to say..

Also, has anyone else noticed that Fate seems to really like smoke and fire? Flaming log, smoke sky writing, setting fire to the garden, a volcano.. Erfworld's GM is a pyromaniac.
Jabberwocky

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:37 pm

So the GM was Sylvia all along?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Tonot » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:12 pm

Lipkin wrote:. Suddenly, Charlie has a ton of new clients. Charlie created a world power, just so he could profit off the war to defeat him.

Aha. That thought had not really occurred to me, but it does seem like Charlie-ish business tactic.

Shai_hulud wrote:So the GM was Sylvia all along?

lol. Do GMs ever get to do that?. Play a character in some sort of depth even as they GM?. That would seem like adding fun to the match, if they could somehow balance their responsibilities.

Sad that I grew up on a farm, and any spare time I might have had for games like D'n'D, was spent milking cows :x :(
Tonot

Postby mortissimus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:41 pm

Tonot wrote:
Shai_hulud wrote:So the GM was Sylvia all along?

lol. Do GMs ever get to do that?. Play a character in some sort of depth even as they GM?. That would seem like adding fun to the match, if they could somehow balance their responsibilities.

Sad that I grew up on a farm, and any spare time I might have had for games like D'n'D, was spent milking cows :x :(

It happens. It is rarely a good thing.

The Comic Irregulars made fun of the topic in Darths&Droids: http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0333.html and onwards. Pete, a munchkin playing R2D2 gets to take over as GM for the droid factory scenes, explaining both why those scenes are there in the first place and why R2D2 suddenly can fly...
mortissimus

Postby BakaGrappler » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:19 pm

Slicer wrote:What Parson is Fated to do isn't the actual plot. The plot is Parson against Fate and the rules of Erfworld in general. Wanda assumes that Fate is a force that cannot be denied, which is true only because it's part of the game of Erfworld. It, like everything else in Erfworld, is an artificial construct like the hex boundaries and the stats. Which Parson's real goal is to tear apart.

He already breaks a rule on a regular basis: he can swear. He gained this ability by sacrificing an artifact. Perhaps with all four reality-altering Arkentools- or even by sacrificing them- Parson could put an end to Erfworld's rules.

Actually, what Parson is Fated to do IS the plot. He's fated to reform the world of Erf and to do what the Titan could not when they made Erf. Make it a better world. And he's gonna do that by breaking all the rules.
An epic space opera where you fully customize your Captain's Background, Military Career, and Court Martial.
Will you prevent civilization from fracturing and win back your honor? Or betray the Empress' trust and plunder the galaxy?
BakaGrappler

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions