dogsx

Re: Epilogue 08 - Parson and Wanda Dissect the Battle

Postby Lipkin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:55 pm

dogsx wrote:OH boop! :oops: :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

That sums it up nicely.
Lipkin

Postby nargbop » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:59 pm

I could swear that that conversation happened just after Ossomer was dusted. "Decrypted can turn?" "I did not know!"
There's no problem with Ossomer's dust being in enemy hands - even the Arkenpliers can't raise something from dust.
The Decrypted Archon, on the other hand, is being moved as fast as possible to a rendezvous point with Charlie's forces, who can probably bring her to base in one turn with the prisoner handed off Archon-to-Archon.
nargbop
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby joosy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:00 pm

So.. I guess Parson must have lost his short term memory when he was hit on the head as he already had this discussion with Wanda back on page 81.

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/?px=%2F2012-07-17.jpg

Perhaps if it was retconjured as a reminder from Parson not as a revelation. (e.g. "Wanda.. decrypted units can TURN!" rather than "Decrypted can TURN?!"
Last edited by joosy on Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joosy

Postby understandslittle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:02 pm

Ansom, not Ossomer is in enemy hands.
understandslittle

Postby arin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:06 pm

joosy wrote:So.. I guess Parson must have lost his short term memory when he was hit on the head as he already had this discussion with Wanda back on page 81.

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/?px=%2F2012-07-17.jpg

I like it. A perfectly good IC excuse for the double-reveal. But not the only one, it could just be a re-iteration. I know this is a weird comparison, but, ever seen Phineas and Ferb: Across the Second Dimension? HOW many times did Phinneas turn to Perry and exclaim surprise that he was a secret agent? ;) Including once the danger had passed and he had time to catch his breath.

I'm trying to look at it that way here. Same idea - Parson's finally got a moment to breathe, so he re-expresses the surprise.

Admittedly, the italics on /turn/ just make it feel like a mistake, though. Meh. Not exactly the most plot-critical mistake in the world, no big.
arin
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Honestly all things considered, I really don't see this as a problem for GK. I seriously doubt there is any tactical information either unit has that would really benefit Charlie. After all, GK's dominance isn't from strategic thinking, it's from the decrypted. Even if you outsmart GK, they still come out with a win.
Another possible revelation is the fact that Parson isn't native to Erfworld and thus doesn't know the mechanics....but I feel Charlie already knows that.
Anyone seeing something I'm missing? What could Charlie learn that's of value?
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby ManaCaster » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Parson forgot to ask why Ansom wasn't with the flyers. Wanda must be Fated to screw up big time yet again.

I wouldn't worry too much about Ansom. He's Fated to have an interesting discussion with Jillian, Vinny, and Jillian's new heir about his new world view. And depending on what the new heir is like, it might even benefit Gobwin Knob in the long run. Even if Ansom does become Gobwin Knob's enemy again, it isn't a big deal.

The one I'd worry about is the captured Archon. With the Archons' worship of Charlie, it probably wouldn't be that hard to turn her. And even if she feels too betrayed by the bounty to turn, I'm sure Charlie will learn some interesting things about Decryption by studying her.
ManaCaster

Postby OneHugeTuck » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:04 pm

If Ansom turns, then assumably his new side will have a level 10 warlord that requires no upkeep. That's a plus.

What else would he have? Inside tactical knowledge of GK side/castle/leadership. Info on how decrypting works. Insight into how strong a hold the pliers have over decrypted. "Oh, decrypted can turn? Time for a 'hearts and minds' propaganda campaign."
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby joosy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:08 pm

0beron wrote:Honestly all things considered, I really don't see this as a problem for GK. I seriously doubt there is any tactical information either unit has that would really benefit Charlie. After all, GK's dominance isn't from strategic thinking, it's from the decrypted. Even if you outsmart GK, they still come out with a win.
Another possible revelation is the fact that Parson isn't native to Erfworld and thus doesn't know the mechanics....but I feel Charlie already knows that.

Remember that Charlie hasn't been able to get his Archons into the airspace around Gobwin Knob because of the decrypted Archons. Assuming the captured Archon turns to Charlescomm: Charlie now knows what was (and wasn't) told to Parson about himself. He now knows the layout and weak spots of the capitol. He knows the troop deployment at GK and possibly how many Archons it would take to conquer it. He may also know the what is in production queues, etc. If Ansom turns then not just Faq but, thanks to Vinny, Transylvito will have all of the info that Ansom knew as well. Also, Ansom, if he turns, may have a completely different view about Wanda and GK in general.
Last edited by joosy on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joosy

Postby ManaCaster » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:16 pm

Arkentool resizing... I imagine there's some limit on ordinary magic items, but I wonder just how big the Arkentools can grow. The Titans, who are said to have used them once, have been depicted as giants. You don't suppose it might be possible to weaponize Arkentool resizing?"
ManaCaster

Postby kefkakrazy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:35 pm

The real boop factor that I suspect Parson just realized is that damned Archon.

Forget what Charlie can learn by interrogating her; if he can use her as a test subject and find a way to "hack" a Decrypted unit, it means big trouble, and Parson knows it.

More importantly, if there's anybody in Erfworld likely to be able to figure out a way to hijack a Decrypted unit's loyalty, it'd be a Carnymancer with master-class Thinkamancy abilities.
kefkakrazy

Postby drachefly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:50 pm

I smell a retcon coming up. Perhaps a rewording, just a tweak. Adding an 'oh yeah', or something.
drachefly

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:51 pm

kefkakrazy wrote:More importantly, if there's anybody in Erfworld likely to be able to figure out a way to hijack a Decrypted unit's loyalty, it'd be a Carnymancer with master-class Thinkamancy abilities.

Who potentially has access to a turnamancer with an axe to grind against GK. ;)
Taikei no Yuurei
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby davidj » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:00 pm

Wanda seems awfully down. Maybe she knows they'll have to go against Charlie, and she doesn't like it? Or "I may have...strayed from Fate's path. At the moment, I can't quite see how."

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -04-14.png

Parson didn't even ask her about Jillian....maybe he knows there's no point.
davidj

Postby GrandReaper » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:01 pm

It sounds like Rob might have gotten himself mixed up with this one. Considering all the balls he has in the air with the story alone (in multiple timelines) on top of all the extra stuff going on in his life it was unavoidable. I am curious to see how it is resolved though.
GrandReaper

Postby Shai_hulud » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:20 pm

davidj wrote:Wanda seems awfully down. Maybe she knows they'll have to go against Charlie, and she doesn't like it?

Yeah, I suspect she doesn't want to croak Charlie, at least permanently, since she both has been telling the Archons she is fated to be on the same side as Charlie, and told Jillian she would never attack Charlescomm.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby joosy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:42 pm

GrandReaper wrote:It sounds like Rob might have gotten himself mixed up with this one. Considering all the balls he has in the air with the story alone (in multiple timelines) on top of all the extra stuff going on in his life it was unavoidable. I am curious to see how it is resolved though.

Probably just the revelation of a DejaVu-amancer,
joosy

Postby MonteCristo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:30 pm

Honestly, i want to know more about how Wanda feels about Parson wanting to fight Charlie. Wanda seemed to indicate she did not want to fight charlie, so frankly i think she would have atleast something to say about the idea that Parson is supposed to croak Charlie; it should really mess with her head since would be enough for her to think that she may be interpreting her fate wrong... heck she should atleast be surprised to hear that Charlie was involved in this battle against them; i don't think Parson has had a chance to tell her that he was behind Jojo's interference and everything else.

0beron wrote:Honestly all things considered, I really don't see this as a problem for GK. I seriously doubt there is any tactical information either unit has that would really benefit Charlie. After all, GK's dominance isn't from strategic thinking, it's from the decrypted. Even if you outsmart GK, they still come out with a win.

Ansom was a strategist, not just one for brute force and he was in charge for the most part up until this last turn; and Wanda used her influence over him to allow Parson to have an indirect say in matters. Ansom will know how GK has operated up to this point; he will know how much their is in their treasury, their unit total from before the battle, know the defenses of all of their cities, their patrols, the locations of the dwagons for GK's relay system and so on. GK's enemies will be able to make a lot of use out of that kind of information when planning their counter attack on GK... Parson will have to do a great deal of reshuffling throughout the entire side.

The archon would at the very least be able to tell Charlie what Parson knows about him; thus allowing him to reshuffle his own defenses.
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Next

Return to Reactions