Summer Update - 036

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Update - 036

Postby LordDarksea » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:31 am

gameboy1234 wrote: but it's good out of box thinking.

Would that be 'good out of the Arkentool-box thinking'???

;)
LordDarksea

Postby nerf-dweller » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:45 pm

moose o death wrote:he could see their stats, if he looked at the archons and didn't see their stats they would be roasting on an open fire not to mention units within move of each other would be sharing battlespace and turn order would apply.

no matter how you swing it. someone would know something was fishy

Just catching up on the thread. But a strange though occured to me. Could Jack use Foolamacy to put up false stats? That is make a unit's stats say 'Move 10', but it's actually 'Move 20'.
nerf-dweller

Postby imgran » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:43 pm

nerf-dweller wrote:
moose o death wrote:he could see their stats, if he looked at the archons and didn't see their stats they would be roasting on an open fire not to mention units within move of each other would be sharing battlespace and turn order would apply.

no matter how you swing it. someone would know something was fishy

Just catching up on the thread. But a strange though occured to me. Could Jack use Foolamacy to put up false stats? That is make a unit's stats say 'Move 10', but it's actually 'Move 20'.

I think that would have to be allowed in order to make Foolamancy properly effective.
imgran

Postby moose o death » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:50 pm

i guess so but what purpose does that serve? you can only see friendly unit stats
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby raphfrk » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:40 pm

moose o death wrote:i guess so but what purpose does that serve? you can only see friendly unit stats

It would be useful for spying. However, there is no indication that it is possible to spy.

Also, spies would need some way to circumvent standard turn orders. They would have to be able to move on other side's turns.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:14 pm

raphfrk wrote:
moose o death wrote:i guess so but what purpose does that serve? you can only see friendly unit stats

It would be useful for spying. However, there is no indication that it is possible to spy.

Also, spies would need some way to circumvent standard turn orders. They would have to be able to move on other side's turns.

I don't think that would be an absolute requirement to making spies useful.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby raphfrk » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:43 pm

DevilDan wrote:I don't think that would be an absolute requirement to making spies useful.

Well, at minimum, you need to circumvent battlespace effects.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Infidel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:35 pm

Well, Parson should be loosing some weight from all this exercise he's being forced to get.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby DevilDan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:34 am

raphfrk wrote:
DevilDan wrote:I don't think that would be an absolute requirement to making spies useful.

Well, at minimum, you need to circumvent battlespace effects.

Given how little we know about how "battlespace effects" work, that's a stretch.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby moose o death » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:50 am

Infidel wrote:Well, Parson should be loosing some weight from all this exercise he's being forced to get.

the next update explains why that isn't the case, neither parson nor anyone around him see's parson as a thin man. if they all got brainwashed and remembered parson looking like jim carrey, a month later it seems he would. possibly dependant on strength of belief for time taken.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:08 am

moose o death wrote:
Infidel wrote:Well, Parson should be loosing some weight from all this exercise he's being forced to get.

the next update explains why that isn't the case, neither parson nor anyone around him see's parson as a thin man. if they all got brainwashed and remembered parson looking like jim carrey, a month later it seems he would. possibly dependant on strength of belief for time taken.

Actually, existing Erfworld mechanics already explain it. At the start of every turn, - POP! - he's restored to how he was the day before.
Fat is an energy reserve. Whatever you used up the previous day would be restored.
Exercise doesn't work, because exercise actually damages the muscles and rebuilds them stronger than they were before. In Erfworld, your muscles would just pop back to the way they were - fully healed, but no improvements.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby raphfrk » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:21 am

MarbitChow wrote:Actually, existing Erfworld mechanics already explain it. At the start of every turn, - POP! - he's restored to how he was the day before.
Fat is an energy reserve. Whatever you used up the previous day would be restored.
Exercise doesn't work, because exercise actually damages the muscles and rebuilds them stronger than they were before. In Erfworld, your muscles would just pop back to the way they were - fully healed, but no improvements.

Well, the point seems to be that the appearance of a unit is a sign.

Update wrote:Our bodies and all the things we see and touch were supposed to only be Signs: symbols of their true nature.

Parson's appearance should therefore be representative of his true nature. Ofc, he could be an exception.

There could be a slow change as your appearance tends towards your inner true nature. Is Jillian changing or did she instantly change and her body is slowly changing to match her new true nature.

There was also talk that perhaps the charisma stat has an effect on what a person looks like. This would be an explanation.

Parson might have a low raw char stat, while Ansom's is high. He is someone who would be underestimated on first sight.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby imgran » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:46 am

Additionally confouding any possible weight loss is the fact that Parson's apparently classified as a Heavy unit. I'm just guessing here, but I'd say he's probably stuck with that.
imgran

Postby DevilDan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:27 pm

imgran wrote:Additionally confouding any possible weight loss is the fact that Parson's apparently classified as a Heavy unit. I'm just guessing here, but I'd say he's probably stuck with that.

No one can see his stats, but it seems that for at least some purposes Erf considers him the equivalent of a heavy unit.

Or maybe he just bloody well weighed to much for that dwagon.
DevilDan

Previous

Return to Reactions