Epilogue 09 – Parson's Notes 01

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Epilogue 09 – Parson's Notes 01

Postby Lilwik » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Tonot wrote:A Regent is "A person appointed to administer a country because the monarch is a minor or is absent or incapacitated". So, still a Royal side.
I'm having a hard time imagining how you can have a regent in Erfworld. Surely the regent must be the actual ruler in order for the side to be categorized as a regency, but in that case what is the royal doing while not being king? Clearly the royal isn't a minor, therefore the royal must be one of those long-term incapacitated units that are being magically sustained, but in that case who was this royal before the incapacitation? He couldn't have been the ruler because then he would still be the ruler.

Perhaps the only way for this to work is for a king to be attacked and incapacitated so badly that a Healomancer couldn't completely revive him, but he drifts in and out of consciousness enough to abdicate his position as ruler so his heir can take over. The heir isn't a prince, because that would still be a kingdom, so the heir must be a regular warlord who is trusted by the king. This warlord becomes the new ruler and declares himself a regent, with the intention of returning the side to the king as soon as the king recovers. Of course, no matter what the regent calls himself, he's still actually an overlord.
Lilwik

Postby Oberon » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:35 pm

Tonot wrote:What is the punishment now?. Being sent to your room. Have you seen the average kids room these days?. The Spacy Parlours from my childhood would look barren in comparison to the average kids room these days.
Indeed. I recall a comic in which the kids were sent to their parent's room, since sending the kids to their own room wasn't a real punishment.

Lilwik wrote:I'm having a hard time imagining how you can have a regent in Erfworld.

Wasn't Olive essentially a regent? She ran Haffaton like it was her own kingdom, and kept the real ruler dependent on drugs of her manufacture to ensure that things would always be the way they were.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby ManaCaster » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Lilwik wrote:I'm having a hard time imagining how you can have a regent in Erfworld. Surely the regent must be the actual ruler in order for the side to be categorized as a regency, but in that case what is the royal doing while not being king? Clearly the royal isn't a minor, therefore the royal must be one of those long-term incapacitated units that are being magically sustained, but in that case who was this royal before the incapacitation? He couldn't have been the ruler because then he would still be the ruler.

Perhaps the only way for this to work is for a king to be attacked and incapacitated so badly that a Healomancer couldn't completely revive him, but he drifts in and out of consciousness enough to abdicate his position as ruler so his heir can take over. The heir isn't a prince, because that would still be a kingdom, so the heir must be a regular warlord who is trusted by the king. This warlord becomes the new ruler and declares himself a regent, with the intention of returning the side to the king as soon as the king recovers. Of course, no matter what the regent calls himself, he's still actually an overlord.

There are other possibilities too. For example, we know abdication is an option. Some king might decide he's ready for retirement, none of his children (if he even has any) are suitable to rule, at least for the time being, and he thus leaves the kingdom under the control of his favorite non-royal heir designate. The side is no longer ruled by a Royal, but Royals are still on the side.

Heck, if Haffaton had successful turned Jillian, maybe they would have been considered a Regency, since Jillian wouldn't rule the side, but would be a Royal on it. For all we know, Regency might just be the name of some sort of mechanic to enjoy the benefits of a Royal side (popping more nobles or royals for instance) without actually being ruled by a Royal.
ManaCaster

Postby Lilwik » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:29 pm

ManaCaster wrote:Heck, if Haffaton had successful turned Jillian, maybe they would have been considered a Regency, since Jillian wouldn't rule the side, but would be a Royal on it.
Oh yes, those are some better ideas. It seems unlikely that a king of Erfworld would ever make a nonroyal his heir when he has princes to choose from, considering how the royals know they are the Titans' chosen superior people, but life can be full of unlikely situations and maybe all of his princes are total fools. I like the idea of a side becoming a regency by turning a captured princess, but I doubt they would be called a regency unless the princess were the heir.

In Erfworld terms, I think it would make sense for any side with an overlord ruler and a royal heir to be called a regency. It proves they recognize the supremacy of royal units without actually being a royal side.
Lilwik

Postby Sir Shadow » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Well think about it this way, Haffaton WOULD have been a regency if Judy had been a royal.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby Chep » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi,

while I find your discussion on whether or not the ability to write cursive (in cursive?) should be taught at school interesting, I'd like to point out that at least for me as a non-native speaker (I read a lot in English, watch stuff in English and generally have C1/C2 level)....reading this was sometimes difficult, as a non-native you have a harder time figuring out what word could be there, if you don't recognize it at first, because you don't know if it is just a word you never heard before or if it's just due to the fact that you have trouble reading his handwriting.
In this update I could read almost everything without problems, but "wizard" and "tricks" in the last sentence were way beyond me, I just couldn't understand this last line. And while my English is still quite decent, I think most of the fans who "only" have level of English you get at school might have even more trouble.
So while it seems nice and cool, I agree that transcripts really help (or thinner lines, maybe).

edit: missed a word there -.-
Chep

Postby Erk » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:30 pm

I read doctors' handwriting every day, and I was thrown off a little because I didn't know the terms Sigint and Humint and assumed I'd misread them. Now can we please talk about something interesting?

Diplomacy with non-Royals. Will Stanley stand for it?
The Tool appointing an heir: there, it's in writing. Parson even nominated himself, albeit he doesn't seem excited about it. Man, I hope Stanley doesn't find this note.
Humint: Interestingly, while Team Parson has a lot of Archons, they haven't got much humint on Charlie they didn't have before. This is one fella who has covered his tracks... seems like he might have been expecting this to happen.
Rumours of my croaking have been greatly exaggerated.

Race: Men
Class: Caster (Healomancer)
Level: 3
Special: Exhausted
Erk

Postby Chep » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:03 pm

there is this one summer update describing this.
The archons regarded being decrypted and now working for Godwin Knob like the standard (but rarely used as it is incredibly expensive) "full service" option (or whatever they called it), so yeah, Charlie often hires archons out to other sides, and they are loyal enough to these sides for them but still don't spill much info on him (mostly due to the fact that none of them are in his inner circle)
Chep

Postby Erk » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:05 pm

Chep wrote:there is this one summer update describing this.
The archons regarded being decrypted and now working for Godwin Knob like the standard (but rarely used as it is incredibly expensive) "full service" option (or whatever they called it), so yeah, Charlie often hires archons out to other sides, and they are loyal enough to these sides for them but still don't spill much info on him (mostly due to the fact that none of them are in his inner circle)

I'm aware of the update. Most important is the observation in that one and in the book 2 writeup about the frightened Archon in the chimney, we learned that Charlie really doesn't spill the beans with his ladies more than he absolutely has to. Given that he didn't have any reason to doubt their Loyalty until Wanda came along, I think Charlie may have been planning this information blackout for a very long time, knowing that another Gale was going to come into play.
Rumours of my croaking have been greatly exaggerated.

Race: Men
Class: Caster (Healomancer)
Level: 3
Special: Exhausted
Erk

Postby Lilwik » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:12 pm

Erk wrote:Given that he didn't have any reason to doubt their Loyalty until Wanda came along...
My impression of Charlie is that being able to move your lips is reason enough for him to doubt your loyalty. Loose lips sink ships. The archons talk far too much to be totally trusted. That's probably why he depends mostly on golems for his capital defenses.
Lilwik

Postby Shai_hulud » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:15 pm

I assumed the golems were because of the sheer number of Dollamancers Charlie has.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby wih » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:02 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:I assumed the golems were because of the sheer number of Dollamancers Charlie has.

Which is 0.
wih

Postby GrandReaper » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:31 pm

wih wrote:
Shai_hulud wrote:I assumed the golems were because of the sheer number of Dollamancers Charlie has.

Which is 0.

Archons can have Natural Dollamancy as a special. Whether this lets them create Golems (and how effective they would be if they can) is unknown at this time, I believe.
GrandReaper

Postby wih » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:17 am

Good point, but he still has 0 Dollamancers. And the Dollamancy that they're noted as able to do is limited, so we're unsure if they could ever make Golems. Might be limited to healing them with juice, or making raiment, or things along that line.
wih

Postby programancer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:08 am

Tonot wrote:
Castamir wrote:So now we know Parson studied medicine.

Very good. Of course, the half of the people won't get it, which is sort of unfair too.

... Wait. Do you mean the stereotype that doctors have inscrutable handwriting, especially when writing receipts? And that people have a hard time reading Parson's handwriting, as if he were a doctor? If it was, then it took me a lot of time to figure it out.

Chep wrote:but "wizard" and "tricks" in the last sentence were way beyond me

Same problems here. After checking out the picture below, I figured out my problem with 'wizard'. I was introduced to a different shaped cursive z and Z at school.

http://www.listentolena.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/cursive.png
programancer
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby mortissimus » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:38 am

Regarding the regency discussion. Al Frappacino, a warlord of Transylvito, is described as regent. So, I am inclined towards the conclusion that Erfworld uses regent as a noble title, confusing as that would be given its Stupidworld meaning.
mortissimus

Postby Lilwik » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:27 am

mortissimus wrote:Al Frappacino, a warlord of Transylvito, is described as regent.
That's well spotted! Thank you. Someday I hope we will learn the meanings of all these various titles that Erfworlders have. After reading Summer Update 13, I wonder if being a regent has something to do with him running the city. He seems to be stationed there for a long term, almost like he owns the city.
Lilwik

Postby mortissimus » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:01 am

Hm, yes that is possible. The term "regent warlord" looks odd if it is simply a noble title.

Checking real world uses, Alois of Liechtenstein who is next in line for being prince (as in ruler, not child of king) is described as regent as he has taken over most of his fathers functions, while his father is still alive. So there is that in addition to being ruler while a royal heir grows up.

In general, I think the confusion spawned around noble and royal titels stem from Rob not being a nobility geek and is winging it. Could be wrong, but if that is right it isn't much point in trying to make sense of it, we will see in due time what counts as royal.
mortissimus

Postby WarFAN » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:31 am

Maybe a regency is a Royal side which had it's King croaked while it's popping a Royal heir. Maybe in this situation the side does not go neutral.

It would explain Don King's interest in FAQ beginning to pop a Royal heir before the battle of Spacerock.
WarFAN

Postby Lamech » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:11 am

wih wrote:Good point, but he still has 0 Dollamancers. And the Dollamancy that they're noted as able to do is limited, so we're unsure if they could ever make Golems. Might be limited to healing them with juice, or making raiment, or things along that line.

We know they can produce enchanted items at least. They offered Jillian weather proofing items. I note since Charlie only has 700 golems making them can't be easy or I suspect he would have a lot more. Or golems have an upkeep cost which would be interesting... Just based on that I would guess the Archons either can't make golems or find it very hard to make golems. However due to the only cloth golem nature I also suspect they DO synergize with the golems in some manner. Perhaps they heal the cloth golems or produce superior cloth for raw materials.
Lamech

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions