Epilogue 09 – Parson's Notes 01

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Epilogue 09 – Parson's Notes 01

Postby LordAcme » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:38 am

Jabberwocky wrote:Enigma Machines + Hat Network!

Thinkamancer + Mathamancer + Dollamancer built Enigma Machines! Have fun cracking that, Charlie.

Nice one!
LordAcme
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby LordAcme » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:56 am

Erk wrote:I read doctors' handwriting every day, and I was thrown off a little because I didn't know the terms Sigint and Humint and assumed I'd misread them. Now can we please talk about something interesting?

Diplomacy with non-Royals. Will Stanley stand for it?
The Tool appointing an heir: there, it's in writing. Parson even nominated himself, albeit he doesn't seem excited about it. Man, I hope Stanley doesn't find this note.
Humint: Interestingly, while Team Parson has a lot of Archons, they haven't got much humint on Charlie they didn't have before. This is one fella who has covered his tracks... seems like he might have been expecting this to happen.

No surprise about Humint, Charlie's class (Carnymancer) is heavily slanted towards manipulation of others via information imbalance (those who have it are rewarded for conning those who haven't). And then he gets the Arkendish, which gives him an incredible broad-spectrum presence, AND apparently let's him "be on as many calls at once as he wants". So it somehow duplicates his consciousness / pulls some other trick to the same effect.
Spoiler: show
(I would speculate his Carnymancery is at work there too, and won't that be an interesting reveal :)

You betcha he's using the dish to ensure that the information imbalance is tilted just as far towards his advantage as he can get it. Even within his own side - he has a coterie of Archons that never leave the castle, and he only contacts the field units through the Arkendish.
LordAcme
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby raphfrk » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:29 am

Lilwik wrote:I'm having a hard time imagining how you can have a regent in Erfworld. Surely the regent must be the actual ruler in order for the side to be categorized as a regency, but in that case what is the royal doing while not being king?

Another option is a side where there is a level 1 Prince and the King sets the Chief Warlord as Heir. Once the Prince has enough experience, he would be promoted to Heir. If the King dies, you get a Regency. The Overlord/Regent could set anyone else as Heir, but keeping the Prince as Heir gives the side more legitimacy as a Royal (ish) side.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Oberon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:32 pm

Lamech wrote:I note since Charlie only has 700 golems making them can't be easy or I suspect he would have a lot more. Or golems have an upkeep cost which would be interesting.
Golems have an upkeep cost. Olive used the high upkeep of the lion, woodsman, and straw golem as the excuse for forbidding the dollamancer from making any more.
How using capslock wins arguments:
Zeroberon wrote:So we know with 100% certainty that THIS IS HOW TRI-LINKS WORK, PERIOD END OF STORY.
Oberon

Postby Thydron » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Oberon wrote:Golems have an upkeep cost. Olive used the high upkeep of the lion, woodsman, and straw golem as the excuse for forbidding the dollamancer from making any more.

True, but those were thinkamancy-linked-upgraded talking golems, so upkeep costs for them might not be representative of all golems
Thydron
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Skorj » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:51 pm

multilis wrote:On the handwriting... may be generational issue.

I had no problem with it, but newer generation of people grow up with computers and calculators/spreadsheets everywhere, and cursive handwriting and math by hand may not really exist for them. Word processor and internet and spell checker rather than skills with pen and paper...

"Why would cursive come naturally to him?" Cursive is *faster* pen and paper system, that is why it used to be popular. Downside is harder to read, especially when fonts on computer screens and written books become what our brains are used to.

We have more focus now on other skills such as speed with various Query keyboards, rather than extra little bit of speed from not having to lift and lower a pen. People use computers, phones, tablets, etc more than pen and paper these days.

That's a very "ball point pen" perspective on cursive script. Will a quill and inkpot, cursive script was a massive improvement in readability over earlier writing styles, because you tend to get little blobs of ink when you bring pen to paper, and sometimes when you lift it. The letter shapes too, while harder to read than a good typeface, were far better than medieval lettering - if you've ever seen it, it's just painful on the eyes.

But then, all that just goes to show that cursive script solves a problem no one has any more: the limitations of quill pens. Smart choice for Parson, but no surprise it's vanishing anywhere keyboards are cheap and common.
Skorj

Postby Tonot » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:35 pm

WarFAN wrote:Maybe a regency is a Royal side which had it's King croaked while it's popping a Royal heir. Maybe in this situation the side does not go neutral.

It would explain Don King's interest in FAQ beginning to pop a Royal heir before the battle of Spacerock.

raphfrk wrote:Another option is a side where there is a level 1 Prince and the King sets the Chief Warlord as Heir. Once the Prince has enough experience, he would be promoted to Heir. If the King dies, you get a Regency. The Overlord/Regent could set anyone else as Heir, but keeping the Prince as Heir gives the side more legitimacy as a Royal (ish) side.

I think between you, you have got it very well sorted there.
Tonot

Postby Lilwik » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:58 pm

Thydron wrote:True, but those were thinkamancy-linked-upgraded talking golems, so upkeep costs for them might not be representative of all golems
From Book 0, Episode 56 I'm sure they don't have normal upkeep for golems.
Wanda: "Well, this one was more than that. It spoke. It ate. It had opinions. It danced and sang. And it had the upkeep cost of a warlord."
I doubt she would say those things unless each of them were unusual for a golem. Surely normal golems don't have the upkeep cost of a warlord. Assuming that normal golems don't eat, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they require no upkeep.
Lilwik

Postby drachefly » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:32 pm

Or an upkeep paid in juice, and archons can pay it.
drachefly

Postby WarFAN » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:00 am

Tonot wrote:
WarFAN wrote:Maybe a regency is a Royal side which had it's King croaked while it's popping a Royal heir. Maybe in this situation the side does not go neutral.

It would explain Don King's interest in FAQ beginning to pop a Royal heir before the battle of Spacerock.

raphfrk wrote:Another option is a side where there is a level 1 Prince and the King sets the Chief Warlord as Heir. Once the Prince has enough experience, he would be promoted to Heir. If the King dies, you get a Regency. The Overlord/Regent could set anyone else as Heir, but keeping the Prince as Heir gives the side more legitimacy as a Royal (ish) side.

I think between you, you have got it very well sorted there.

I think... It is not a Warlord popped by a Royal side always a Noble? If he is, a Noble Chief Warlord who has been appointed heir (example: Duke Antium) will be a King.

I think Raphrk has a very good point indeed, but it must be a very strange situation: A Royal side whose Chief Warlord and Heir is not a Royal (maybe a captured or traded unit?) and, after this, a non-Royal Ruler appointing a Royal Heir and declaring himself to be only a Regent... Mmmmmmm....
WarFAN

Postby fehler » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:46 am

I'm very disappointed by the rape joke in this update. It's the goddamn "dickwolves" all over again.

Rape is never funny.
fehler

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:52 am

...Dickwolves? Where wolves?

I'm so sorry...
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby NYbear » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:06 am

fehler wrote:I'm very disappointed by the rape joke in this update. It's the goddamn "dickwolves" all over again.

Rape is never funny.

Who says it's rape? Just because it's a "surprise" doesn't necessarily mean it's non-consensual. It could very well just be an unexpected/spontaneous act of passion between two consenting erfworlders. :p

Lets get that Ace/Parson Ship going hehe.
NYbear

Postby drachefly » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:27 am

WarFAN wrote:If he is, a Noble Chief Warlord who has been appointed heir (example: Duke Antium) will be a King.

I don't see why. In stupidworld, of course he would be. Here, I really doubt it.

NYbear wrote:Who says it's rape? Just because it's a "surprise" doesn't necessarily mean it's non-consensual.

... between Charlie and Parson? No, that would not involve a positive degree of consent either way.

That said, I think that this particular reference to such things was very unsympathetic to them. It wasn't a rape-positive joke.
drachefly

Postby Not Me » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:23 pm

Look at the shape of Charlescomm's tower in panel 3 of this update.
Parson is now writing with a quill, but Charlie writes with a pen?
Not Me

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:30 pm

... between Charlie and Parson? No, that would not involve a positive degree of consent either way.

Except the Carny scroll might have been a lurv poem?
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:

Except the Carny scroll might have been a lurv poem?

It did start with 'roses are red, violets are blue' as I recall.
Taikei no Yuurei
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:07 am

And all Parson's anti-fire spells in the text version were names for heartburn relief.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby danelsan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:12 am

Hmm...seems to have died down already, but I'll ask anyway: could people please stop with the personal and group attacks, calling other people uneducated, rude, lazy and so on because they had trouble reading writing in this update?
danelsan

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:13 am

The only answer us Blue Meanies accept is "NO!"
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions