Commanders

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Commanders

Postby Acorntail » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:09 pm

King Manly sat on his throne, looking over the five new commanders before him. They had all popped together at dawn, just as the casters from the magic kingdom had said they would. Good; he hated people who couldn't keep their promises. Oh, and one was royal. So he had a son. That was new.

"Well, who are you?" he asked. It was a formality - he already knew. That was the gift of the Krown of Knowitall; hat magic with just a touch of thinkamancy and lookamancy. He knew their names, he knew their roles. He'd know this thanks to his ruler sense, but it sped up introductions. Two warlords, two casters and a royal. Thinkamancer and Croakamancer. Manly was used to both. He huffed, he owed that Luckamancer a drink.

understandslittle wrote:"Sir Tanksalot milord. Tank for short. Or sir if you're feeling formal."

"If you don't mind, I'll be the one called sir, or sire if you're feeling formal, warlord. Know your place." He frowned. Warlords - can't live with them, can't live without them... Titan's testes, he'd need a new chief, wouldn't he? But this one had spunk.
He leaned back into his throne, grinning. "I like you, Tank. Not afraid of me. I guess none of you would be, would you. And you, caster, what is your name?"

Sir Shadow wrote:"Rax, my Lord. Cicatrix Rax."

"A croakamancer. Good. We have uncroaked garrisoned in the city. No bodies for you to have your way with, unfortunately; I wasn't expecting another croakamancer so soon. No matter, you can learn yourself on those we already have. Now, you-"

LTDave wrote:"O Great King! Hail and well met! We stand in awe at your feet."

"I am dubbed Metter Nick von Brawn, and I exist to serve the side, and my rightful Lord."

Titan's testes, a diplomat. Just what he booping needed, and a theatrical one at that. The king frowned. There were some things the Krown couldn't tell you. He merely nodded at this one. Normally Manly would put him on a mount and send him deep into enemy territory on a 'trading mission' as an excuse to get an assassin close to a side's heir. So what he lost a warlord, he got an heir in return - even brought down an entire side once. That was good day. But he needed to be careful with these five, didn't he? The price to pay...
"Yes, very... nice. You, the other caster, what say you?"

0beron wrote:"Omgah Binder, m'lord, here to seek out all that there is to be known for the glory of Lore." The caster bows.

"A thinkamancer, good. I'll be honest, I was not looking forward to manual order." He looked over the two casters. Croakamancer and Thinkamancer. All he was missing was the Carnymancer, and he'd have the old court. He moved his eyes to the last of the five, the royal. His son.

Manly's signamancy was not the fiercest, it was true, but it still demanded respect. He had muscles, he had scars, he wasn't immaculate. But he was no simple overlord, he was King. His hair was neat, and his moustache trimmed. His son... well, Luckamancy couldn't help everything. Macho seemed better suited to wrestling than ruling... but well, that's what he needed. On second thoughts, that Luckamancer could buy her own drinks - she had some cheek.

Sir Shadow wrote:I look around for the first time upon hearing voices, realizing that I was not the only one to pop. In fact, I was one of five... Though I had never seen another unit pop, it immediately seemed strange that so many units of such high caliber did at once. With a curious glance to the King, I realize our ruler must be a shrewd man. "Excuse me for speaking out of turn, your highness, but I am a bit perplexed. The need must be great if you put forth the effort to pop us all at once?" I take in my fellows' appearance, we are diverse lot, clearly not brothers.

The king stood, addressing his entire side just as much these five.
"It was at great expense we took Lore. The old court is no more, I am all that is left. But we are not done. The moment must be seized; Knowitall is in a position of strength, and Lore's cities wait in neutrality. You were popped so hastily so that these cities will not fall to our enemies. You would not know how we took Lore, so I will tell you. We fought a swathe through their kingdom and took their capital. Our new capital stands near fifty move from our old. Lore had five cities when it fell, which is why I ordered five new commanders popped. One for each, and for each an army. You have at your disposal the entire resources of Knowitall, but know this: those cities cannot fall to enemy hands, not even for a moment. We must seize them now before Lore's allies realise what has happened. It is imperative that the new court does not fail."

The five commanders could feel the order being acknowledged by the side, and felt the units recognise their authority. It was a rush.

"Now, on the subject of chief warlord... There is no good choice. You are all level 1, so none of you are viable. I hereby declare myself Chief Warlord."

Suddenly, they no longer had a King. Before them stood an Emperor. The commanders, being so close to count as stacked, received the full bonus immediately. +15. That meant +5 to every unit in Knowitall, more than their collective leadership bonuses could provide. But unless the Emperor intended to fight alongside them, that was the end of it. +5 was nothing to sniff at, but it wasn't +15. It wasn't conquer five cities material. The Emperor knew this.

"As to Chief Caster, I confer that honour to Cicatrix - the uncroaked will need the boost."

Cicatrix suddenly stood taller and looked wiser, more mysterious. The others felt no useful bonus, but the casters did. +1. It wasn't much, but it was something. Hundreds of dots appeared before Cicatrix, some brighter than others. The uncroaked of Knowitall - each with +1. There were 631 uncroaked in Lore in vary stages of decay. Odd. Most were fairly fresh.

The Emperor looked over his court. Five level 1 commanders, none older than five minutes.

It'd have to do.
Last edited by Acorntail on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
Perpetually locked in a Mathamancy/Turnamancy link.
Acorntail

Re: Commander

Postby 0beron » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:17 pm

I tilted my head curiously. "Sire, if I may, I have a question of curiosity. Your word choice about manual orders suggests you are accustomed to having a Thinkamancer, is that correct? What other casters did we lose in the campaign?"
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby GWvsJohn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Last edited by GWvsJohn on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
GWvsJohn

Postby Acorntail » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:38 pm

GWvsJohn wrote:Prince Macho stepped forward. He was eager to be the first of the new commanders to address the King, his father. He slid his goggles onto his head, keeping his hair in check. "Father, I am ready, eager to lead our units into battle. Under my command the forces of Knowitall will run wild over our enemies. Grant me some troops and a target and it will be ours, oh yeah, it will."

Emperor Manly's lips tightened into a smile. "So I see son. Be patient, you will have your orders, and your army."

0beron wrote:I tilted my head curiously. "Sire, if I may, I have a question of curiosity. Your word choice about manual orders suggests you are accustomed to having a Thinkamancer, is that correct? What other casters did we lose in the campaign?"

Manly frowned, stroking his moustache elusively. "Croakamancer, Thinkamancer, Hat-Magician, Carnymancer... Name a caster, I've led one and lost one. But of Knowitall's court, only our croakamancer lived to see the siege of Lore; and she fell to Lore's Shockamancer during. To pop you five, I had to cash in some favours in the magic kingdom - I have no friends there now."
Last edited by Acorntail on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acorntail

Postby Sir Shadow » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:42 pm

I listen closely to the King as he explains the situation of the side. It is a little daunting to be thrust into conflict so soon, but as he confers on me the position of Chief Caster, I cannot help but feel a bit of confidence. The rush throws me for a moment, and I place a hand to my head and close my eyes to focus. "So many uncroaked... My predecessor was powerful indeed," I mutter to nobody but myself, "Fresh... but they will not last long..."

My senses reach out trying to find any uncroaked warlords among the masses. Surely with so many, there must be leadership milling about with them. "The uncroaked are ready for battle. Best to make use of them while flesh still hangs from their bones..." In my search I also look for those that were made with the most skill, for perhaps I could learn something by studying it.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby 0beron » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:44 pm

I showed no reaction to this news beyond a simple nod, and turned inward to begin passively organizing the plethora of Strings connected to our units, sorting them into stacks and then legions, prioritizing by level and strength, and tucking the uncroaked off to one corner. They were not my concern for the moment, and were too transient to waste my juice on monitoring. After a pause, I raise a finger in question again. "Am I to understand then that you wish me to personally supervise one of these city campaigns, rather than remain with you here in the capital?"
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Acorntail » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:54 pm

0beron wrote:I showed no reaction to this news beyond a simple nod, and turned inward to begin passively organizing the plethora of Strings connected to our units, sorting them into stacks and then legions, prioritizing by level and strength, and tucking the uncroaked off to one corner. They were not my concern for the moment, and were too transient to waste my juice on monitoring. After a pause, I raise a finger in question again. "Am I to understand then that you wish me to personally supervise one of these city campaigns, rather than remain with you here in the capital?"

"You are a novice-class Thinkamancer, less than novice almost. As I recall, you can initiate thinkagrams, but you can't be requested. Here, you are no better than manual ordering, out in the field you can aid the others by having them report to me. And, frankly, there is not enough time to let you level by practice, you will need to be in those fighting hexes to obtain leadership experience. Once you reach adept, then you can return. I would rather not risk casters with so little experience when I have no way of producing more, but the cities must fall - I must take that risk."
Acorntail

Postby 0beron » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:58 pm

"Certainly sire. I shall be ready to depart when you give the order." I bow to acknowledge my understanding, and withdraw from the conversation to better focus on my internal order....there was much to consider. Seated in the hall away from the group, I was dimly aware of the following discussion, but my attention was elsewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Sir Shadow » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:05 pm

I cross my arms as I think looking this way and that as though searching past the walls that blocked my vision. "Your highness," I give the man a quick bow as I acquire his attention, "If you would excuse me, I'd like to take a look at the uncroaked in the garrison. Maybe I could learn a thing or two before I have to actually apply my craft."
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Postby Acorntail » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:24 pm

Sir Shadow wrote:I cross my arms as I think looking this way and that as though searching past the walls that blocked my vision. "Your highness," I give the man a quick bow as I acquire his attention, "If you would excuse me, I'd like to take a look at the uncroaked in the garrison. Maybe I could learn a thing or two before I have to actually apply my craft."

The Emperor nods, dismissing the croakamancer. "Your predecessor's magic items were salvaged, as were yours, Thinkamancer." he nods at Omgah, "They weren't particularly powerful, but anything helps. You'll find them in the armoury. As for the uncroaked, they're in the courtyard, garrisoned so they don't decay as quickly."
Acorntail

Postby Sir Shadow » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:37 pm

I bow once again to the King and prepare to leave. So encompassed with my own thoughts I hardly notice the Thinkamancer when a thought occurs to me. "Thinka--Omgah... why don't you come with me?" I look back at the warlords and the King, "You don't seem too interested in these proceedings."

Either way, I head to the Armory. If my predecessor had left something useful behind, then it would be best to become familiar with it.
Sir Shadow

Postby understandslittle » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:52 pm

"I'm afraid of few Sir, because most can't get through my armor. Takes a special sort.

I trust that some of your previous warlords had some magic items as well?

How far away are the remaining cities? Or do we not have that information?"

He also does a headcount of all the live infantry.
understandslittle

Postby Acorntail » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:48 pm

understandslittle wrote:"I trust that some of your previous warlords had some magic items as well?

How far away are the remaining cities? Or do we not have that information?"

He also does a headcount of all the live infantry.

"The nearest is eight hexes south-east, back towards the old capital. The furthest, forty hexes. As to the question of magic items, yes. Even an artefact - Knowitall is a proudly magical side. We used to have a hat-magician, it was he who made my crown," He motions upwards, "And I encouraged him to explore his abilities whenever possible."

Your warlord senses tell you there are 800 units stationed in Lore. Minus Manly, the five commanders and the 631 uncroaked, that left 163 units. Not being chief warlord, however, you are unsure just how many units your side has outside of the capital, or if these units are infantry, specials or magical constructs other than uncroaked. You are aware none of them are leadership, however.
Acorntail

Postby GWvsJohn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Last edited by GWvsJohn on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
GWvsJohn

Postby understandslittle » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:25 pm

"I'm going to call the living troops to order. Leave something for me. Preferably leadership, or defense increasing, or maybe something that supplies limited healomancy. Or better yet, if the thinkamancer has juice, send me a thinksgram or something. Then, I'd like to see the war room." Tank walks out to the courtyard trying to send an order to all the living troops to assemble in the courtyard.

Spoiler: show
Not sure if I can do that. Otherwise he'll spend some time searching all the units out.
understandslittle

Postby 0beron » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:40 pm

Sir Shadow wrote:"Thinka--Omgah... why don't you come with me?" I look back at the warlords and the King, "You don't seem too interested in these proceedings."
"Yes excellent idea, magic items do indeed sound appealing, and I have my own units to take stock of." I respond, revealing an excellent talent for mental multitasking.

By now my mental inventory of units should be complete, so as we walk I investigate further to determine the types of units we had outside the city. Not caring about the stats of specific individuals yet, I simply compile a list of unit types.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Acorntail » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

GWvsJohn wrote:"An artifact? Oh yeah! Let's all head to the armory to take stock. Then we can examine the troops." Prince Macho whips his hair back and throws down his goggles before marching off to the armory.

The Emperor shakes his head. That was certainly his son, even if he was a bit... rough around the edges. "Macho, Tanksalot, casters; you are dissmissed."
He turned to look at the lone warlord remaining. The diplomat.
"Metter von Brawn. You've been quiet."

understandslittle wrote:"I'm going to call the living troops to order. Leave something for me. Preferably leadership, or defense increasing, or maybe something that supplies limited healomancy. Or better yet, if the thinkamancer has juice, send me a thinkagram or something. Then, I'd like to see the war room." Tank walks out to the courtyard trying to send an order to all the living troops to assemble in the courtyard.

A ping in Tank's head signifies that the living units are responding. As the warlord exits the hall, he gets his first glimpse of the capital. It was massive. The solid whitestone walls were almost as tall as the tower, and the tower was joined to them by buttresses in a fashion not unlike the chandelier inside. From these buttresses hung the livery of Knowitall - a red flag emblazoned with a triangle subdivided into three smaller triangles, with a circle further dividing these sub triangles. The throne room sat at the base of the tower, and the courtyard radiated around him. The signamancy was magnificent, almost as though an actual signamancer had been involved. It wouldn't surprise him, Tank thought, his ruler had a lot of connections with casters. Five stacks of pikers stood in the courtyard, and beast specials were beginning to file in. There were a lot of them, small four legged creatures with sharp teeth. Dire Wulfs. A-B Class, obviously. There was also a stack of 20 flying units, D-class. They were knight class, and wore short skirts and tight blouses, hovering in the airspace. Archons.

0beron wrote:By now my mental inventory of units should be complete, so as we walk I investigate further to determine the types of units we had outside the city. Not caring about the stats of specific individuals yet, I simply compile a list of unit types.

You receive the following information:
Spoiler: show
Lore - Level 5 Capital: 800 Units
1 Ruler
3 Warlords
2 Casters
631 Uncroaked Infantry
- 200 Stabbers
- 200 Archers
- 200 Pikers
- 30 Diggers
- 1 Knight
40 Pikers
30 Diggers
36 Dire Wulfs
26 Peekers
4 Heavy Metal Golems
20 Archons

Knowitall - Level 4 Capital:
100 Archers
8 Boogie-Woogie-Men (Natural Allies)
2 Stone Golems
50 Pikers

Busybody - Level 2 City:
42 Archers
16 Stabbers
35 Pikers
67 Boogie-Woogie-Men (Natural Allies)
1 Stone Golem
8 Knights

Copout - Level 3 City:
40 Stabbers
80 Archers
40 Pikers
2 Knights

In the Field:
3 Dire Wulfs
10 Scouts

No engagements reported.
Last edited by Acorntail on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acorntail

Postby 0beron » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:09 pm

Unfamiliar with some of these unit types, I delve a bit deeper to discern any specials the class/type might have:
  • Dire Wulfs
  • Peekers
  • Heavy Metal Golems
  • Stone Golems
  • Boogie Woogie Men
  • Knights
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby understandslittle » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:15 pm

Tank looks for the stats on at least the Dire Wulfs, especially seeking for any sign of them being mounts. Tank could use a good tough mount.

He then sets his shield down in the dirt beside him and stands until all units have assembled, keeping a mental count. When his count reaches 163 he orders them into their various unit types.
understandslittle

Postby LTDave » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:23 pm

Acorntail wrote:He turned to look at the lone warlord remaining. The diplomat.
"Metter von Brawn. You've been quiet."

Metter Nick bowed his head.
"My apologies, Great King. I was musing on the intricacies of existence. Quite a topic for the newly popped, I concede."

"How might I serve you, Sire? Shall I beg the leading of the Archons? Together we could set out at once for a distant frontier, to confound and mislead our enemies."

"May I beg a question, Sire? You spoke of our enemy's former allies. What intelligence do we have on them, and their forces? Will they persist in the war, now that Lore has fallen to your Greatness?"

[ooc: I'm in a different timezone to most (though not Acorntail - but perhaps he is young and up late), so all of this happened whilst I was sleeping, perchance dreaming. If I don't react in a timely fashion, that's mostly why.]
LTDave

Next

Return to Your Games