Commanders

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Commander

Postby Sir Shadow » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:27 pm

I make a note as Omgah relates to me the units of the side. The uncroaked I already knew, of course, and to be honest, I had little interest in the other ones. Those were the spheres of the warlords, and I had my own to be concerned with. Undaunted by this information I continue on to the armory, though the Turn might last as long as needed, my patience did not.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby Acorntail » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:42 am

understandslittle wrote:Tank looks for the stats on at least the Dire Wulfs, especially seeking for any sign of them being mounts. Tank could use a good tough mount.

0beron wrote:Unfamiliar with some of these unit types, I delve a bit deeper to discern any specials the class/type might have:
  • Dire Wulfs
  • Peekers
  • Heavy Metal Golems
  • Stone Golems
  • Boogie Woogie Men
  • Knights

Unit stats:
Spoiler: show
Dire Wulf 8/4/2/12 Beast, Mount, Packmind, Speed Boost, Track
Beast Class A/B-Special
'Knowitall's Dire Wulfs are cunning, swarming creatures fitted with saddles and sharpened claws. They swarm the courtyards, barking at the other Knowitall units.'

Peeker 8/2/2/30 Beast, Flying, Mount
Beast Class A/B-Special
'A slender snake-like creature with long, ornate wings. Peekers are covered in feathers arranged like scales. They wear saddles; Knowitall's flying mounts.'

Heavy Metal Golems 15/8/8/10 Construct, Siege, Burrowing, Dance-fighting
Dirtamancy Construct
'Huge rockers made from heavy metal ores. They wear some oxidisation; these golems have been with Knowitall for a while.'

Stone Golems 10/6/6/8 Construct, Siege, Burrowing, Dance-fighting
Dirtamancy Construct
'Being unable to see these golems, you are unsure of how they appear.'

Boogie-Woogie-Men 2/2/1/5, Dance-fighting
Natural Ally
'Being unable to see these units, you are unsure of how they appear.'

Knights 13/6/8/6/- (90 + 10)/Rider (0), Healer (3)
Knight
'Knowitall's knights carry tower shields and maces, Their shields are emblazoned with the livery of Knowitall, and they carry medical bags. They have obvious seen a lot of in-field combat.'

LTDave wrote:Metter Nick bowed his head.
"My apologies, Great King. I was musing on the intricacies of existence. Quite a topic for the newly popped, I concede."

"How might I serve you, Sire? Shall I beg the leading of the Archons? Together we could set out at once for a distant frontier, to confound and mislead our enemies."

"May I beg a question, Sire? You spoke of our enemy's former allies. What intelligence do we have on them, and their forces? Will they persist in the war, now that Lore has fallen to your Greatness?"

"I'm sure." The Emperor was stone faced. Diplomats. "You are a warlord, Von Brawn, I imagine you can fight if needed? Because diplomacy will not serve us. To answer you question, they will not seek us out, we remove the biggest piece holding the alliances together. But they will fight for those cities, and for that reason they are still our enemies. The Kingdom of Noway and the Kingdom of Meatshield pervade this land. Their limited forces couldn't capture a single Lore city, but given the time to muster their forces... Do you understand why I speak of such haste? Why I do not have time for diplomats?"

[ooc: Actually, I'm dating an American (although I am young and up late too), so I'm up late most days. ]

Sir Shadow wrote:I make a note as Omgah relates to me the units of the side. The uncroaked I already knew, of course, and to be honest, I had little interest in the other ones. Those were the spheres of the warlords, and I had my own to be concerned with. Undaunted by this information I continue on to the armory, though the Turn might last as long as needed, my patience did not.

The armoury was mostly bare. It seemed that Lore had not fallen with much magical items at home, although there was certainly room for many such items. Laid out on a table sat the treasures of Knowitall - and above all an otherworldly plate of metal. What was that, a shield?

The armoury contents:
Name: Helmet of Many Heads
Hat-Magic/Changemancy
Function: Can be adjusted to give either a +2 Combat bonus or a +2 Defence bonus.

Name: Token Choker
Dollamancy/Foolamancy
Function: This choker can be activated to veil the wearer with a basic veil. It can change a units appearance to that a similar looking unit, but cannot completely change the wearer's voice, build or abilities.

Name: Winged Boots
Dollamancy/Weirdomancy
Function: Gives the user the Flying special.

Name: Thinkamancy Spellbook
Signamancy/Thinkamancy
Function: This belonged to the fallen Thinkamancer of Knowitall. It contains notes on casting spells, and is capable of sending pings; a weak form of Thinkamancy that requests a unit's attention.

Name: T'Oils
Healomancy/Croakamancy
Function: These oils will preserve a dead or uncroaked body, slowing its decay rate.

Name: Boomstick
Shockamancy/Dollamancy
Function: This short staff is tipped with a long metal rod that flares at the end. A trigger on its base will activate it.

Name: Boom'a'rang
Shockamancy/Dollamancy
Function: This wooden club is intended to be thrown, where it will explode on impact with a target. It will then return to the thrower intact.

Name: Vanishing Ring
Dollamancy/Hat-Magic/Carnymancy
Function: This ring can be activated to teleport it's user a short distance. Like all magic items, it can only be activated so long as its internal juice is sufficient. The cost to teleport is proportional to the distance being jumped, and the weight of the objects the ring has to take with it.

Artifact Name: S.H.I.E.L.D
Unknown magical alignment, presumed Shockamancy
Function: The S.H.I.E.L.D was discovered by Manly in the field. It appears to be marginally damaged. It absorbs all energies that strike it, from weapon blows to magical blasts, and can release this collected energy as a single, large, hoboken attack, proportional to the amount of energy the S.H.I.E.L.D has absorbed.
Perpetually locked in a Mathamancy/Turnamancy link.
Acorntail

Postby understandslittle » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:00 am

Can Tank see the stats of the Archons?

A plan has started to form. Namely, once he's visited the armory, taking the archons, and a peeker (not sure if I know about these guys) and taking the city farthest away. I'd wind up taking at least three turns, but would leave the diggers and all the uncroaked, plus the dire wulfs for others to use. I could also take the thinkamancer if he wants to come and mooch XP. Send in a few peekers in front of us to scout/trigger air defenses and we have ourselves a city.
understandslittle

Postby Acorntail » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:47 am

understandslittle wrote:Can Tank see the stats of the Archons?

A plan has started to form. Namely, once he's visited the armory, taking the archons, and a peeker (not sure if I know about these guys) and taking the city farthest away. I'd wind up taking at least three turns, but would leave the diggers and all the uncroaked, plus the dire wulfs for others to use. I could also take the thinkamancer if he wants to come and mooch XP. Send in a few peekers in front of us to scout/trigger air defenses and we have ourselves a city.

Archon 15/12/9/19 Knight, Flight, Healer, Rider, Natural Caster: Eyeamancy, Lightning Weapon, Speedier Boost, Ranged
Knight Class D-Special
'Knowitall's Archons are beautiful creatures garbed in short tunics and skirts. These Archons differ slightly from the standard archetype; they do not have leadership. But like other Archon-type units, they are high varied units capable of long range multi-disciplined operations. They pop with the capability to cast a random eyeamancy discipline, shoot lightning from afar and are fast, agile fliers. Although their signamancy is enthralling, it hints towards their deadliness; their bodies are slender, but athletic. Their hair is short so as not to get in their way, and they carry themselves with an air of superiority. They form a sisterhood, no one Archon is better than another. But they are loyal and subordinate to their commanders.'
Acorntail

Postby Sir Shadow » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:27 am

A glance around the armory leaves me fairly displeased with the state of affairs. I had expected more... useful items. Still, sorting through them gives me time to think. Without a word, I pick up the Thinkamancer spellbook and hand it to Omgah. It only seemed right that she get her predecessors work. I, of course, immediately pocket the T'Oils. The rest were up to some debate.

The Helmet of Many Heads could go to Macho Man to put that unruly hair of his in its place, but then again I could use it to some good effect as well when leading the Uncroaked. The Token Choker, well, was a woman's accessory, so it would logically go to Omgah. In fact, I pick it up and hand it to her as well. As an Eyemancer, she would be able to use it best anyways, and her survival was of some importance.

The boots could go to Brawn; he had the highest base move and the rest of us could just use mounts. The Boomstick goes to Omgah as well; her Combat was dismal and I didn't trust any of the warlords with a toy like that. The Boom'a'rang was up for graps, but as I was tied for the highest Combat, I was tempted to take it. I slipped the vanishing ring on my finger since it was useless to Warlords anyways and Omgah already had the choker.

Now the S.H.I.E.L.D. was an interesting case, I look over its surface studying the damage it had taken. Naturally, my first thought was to give it to Tank, since, as his name implies, he should be in the thick of combat. But would it work under pressure? I had never seen an artifact, let alone a damaged one-- a silly thought since I had never really seen anything as I was only just popped-- but this item was like a gap in my brain, I had no instinctual knowledge about it.

So current thoughts on item spread:
Sir 'Tank' Tanksalot - S.H.I.E.L.D, and possibly Boom'a'rang
Cicatrix Rax - T'Oils, Vanishing Ring, and possibly Boom'a'rang
Metter Nick von Brawn - Winged Boots
Prince Macho Man - Helm of Many Heads
Omgah Binder - Thinkamancer Spellbook, Token Choker, and Boomstick
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Postby GWvsJohn » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:07 am

Prince Macho gritted his teeth, but kept quiet as the Croakamancer attempted to make suggestions for tactics and strategy.

Casters...

With Sir Tank in the yard and Metter likely being scolded by father for his, unmanly, Signamancy, Prince Macho grabbed the shield with no hesitation. "A true son of Knowitall should carry the side's most prized possession. Tank and Metter can divide the remaining as they see fit, although I would give the helmet to Tank and the boots and ranged weapon to Metter."

With that said, the Prince left the armory to examine the trips with Sir Tank and discuss strategy.
I know how it works. And I'm not that confident.
GWvsJohn

Postby Sir Shadow » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:28 am

It is with surprising strength that my hand presses firmly down on the S.H.I.E.L.D., keeping it in place on the table. I level a deadly look at Macho that clearly says 'I wasn't finished looking at that'. As Chief Caster, magic items were my domain, and though he may be a Warlord--a royal one, at that--he doesn't outrank me yet.

Then a thought strikes me and I laugh for the first time--something which even I have to admit is slightly chilling. My glare turns to a smirk as I release my grip on the Artifact, letting him take it, "Alright then, go ahead and use the damaged Artifact. If it gets you killed, I'll make sure to spend a good amount of juice on you... if there are enough pieces to find." With that 'settled' the Helm would then go to Tank.
Sir Shadow

Postby LTDave » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:11 am

Acorntail wrote:"I'm sure." The Emperor was stone faced. Diplomats. "You are a warlord, Von Brawn, I imagine you can fight if needed? Because diplomacy will not serve us. To answer you question, they will not seek us out, we remove the biggest piece holding the alliances together. But they will fight for those cities, and for that reason they are still our enemies. The Kingdom of Noway and the Kingdom of Meatshield pervade this land. Their limited forces couldn't capture a single Lore city, but given the time to muster their forces... Do you understand why I speak of such haste? Why I do not have time for diplomats?"

"But of course, Great King. I understand, now that you have explained. I stand ready to obey your slightest command."

"I trust that my skills at warfare will not be, how do you say? Disappointing."

"After all, War is but politics by other means, nes par? "Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum," et cetera, und so weiter."

The little fellow stands quite still, grinning, while his eyes dart to and fro. Occasionally he adjusts his pince-nez, and gives a little cough.
Finally he speaks again...
"Does you Majesty have specific orders for me? Or shall I go to the armoury and lay claim to some of the, eh, spoils of victory?"
"Will we be moving out together, or separately? Will your Majesty, as, eh, Imperator Rex, shall we say, be joining us in the field, or remaining in the Capital?"
LTDave

Postby Acorntail » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:18 am

LTDave wrote:"Does you Majesty have specific orders for me? Or shall I go to the armoury and lay claim to some of the, eh, spoils of victory?"
"Will we be moving out together, or separately? Will your Majesty, as, eh, Imperator Rex, shall we say, be joining us in the field, or remaining in the Capital?"

"Well, at least he doesn't complain about it." thought the Emperor. He shook his head at this strange warlord.
"I cannot accompany you, not without an heir, not at this stage. I must remain in Lore until such time that all five cities are conquered and our realm secured. These walls are my design, but alas, my prison. Be off with you, to the armoury before my son claims everything - I know he will."
Acorntail

Postby LTDave » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:32 am

"As your Majesty desires, so it is done."

With a little bow, Von Brawn heads out of the throne room, moving fast despite taking tiny steps.
He proceeds to the Armoury to examine the winged wingtips, and the boomstick, making 'ooh' and 'aah' sounds while handling them, before pronouncing them "Most Satisfactory, nes par?"
LTDave

Postby GWvsJohn » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:36 am

Prince Macho can only laugh as he leaves the armory.

Casters...

He proceeds to the courtyard to join Sir Tank.

"Sir Tank, I have some thoughts on how to proceed from here, and I welcome your input. Our first priority is to seize the nearest city while our uncroaked are still fresh. Beyond that, it is imperative we do not let the outer cities fall into enemy hands. I propose the following. I will lead the uncroaked with the Croakamancer, plus the Wulfs and the Golems to attack the city to the south-east. You take the Archons and half the Peekers and scout the other 4 cities. If any look very weakly defended, attack. But I feel it is more important to conserve your strength to hit any enemy field units you encounter. If you can keep the enemy away from the other cities, we can wait for the infantry and hit them in force. I will be close the Lore for several turns, so you might benefit from the Thinkamancer to report back. I will take Meeter with me, as we will likely see tougher combat and his Leadership will be a benefit. What do you think?"
GWvsJohn

Postby Sir Shadow » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:43 am

Meeter, or whatever his name is, seems nice enough. "I don't believe the Boomstick and Winged Boots would go well together. The Boom'a'rang has more range on it."
Sir Shadow

Postby 0beron » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:24 am

Surveying the magic items on the table and listening to the conversation, I observe patiently before making my move and speaking in a clear voice that conveyed careful though behind my actions. "The Spellbook is an obvious choice for me, so I doubt any would object to my taking it" I comment, sliding it across to table and picking it up. "The Choker is crucial to my survival, as out of all of us, I am the least suited to combat, yet the most valuable to our long-term success as a side." I continue, allowing my Chief Caster to affix it around my neck.

Laying one hand on the Boomstick, I continue "As for this item I have mixed thoughts. As I previously observed, I am the least suited to combat, so if I am forced to defend myself, this would be a vital accessory. However, having such a potent combat weapon might draw attention to myself, so I would be willing to surrender it if someone else can make a logical case for why they should have it instead." I conclude.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby understandslittle » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:33 am

"Seems good so far, but I'd like to request 7 stabbers, and two stacks of Archers. That'll leave a Peeker for you, or two if the thinkamancer decides not to come with me. Hrm... Let me speak with an Archon."

Tank waves an Archon down to him. "The king mentioned Lore used to have a shockamancer. How strong are the air defenses on their cities likely to be?"
understandslittle

Postby GWvsJohn » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:50 am

understandslittle wrote:"Seems good so far, but I'd like to request 7 stabbers, and two stacks of Archers. That'll leave a Peeker for you, or two if the thinkamancer decides not to come with me. Hrm... Let me speak with an Archon."

Tank waves an Archon down to him. "The king mentioned Lore used to have a shockamancer. How strong are the air defenses on their cities likely to be?"

"I think it would be prudent to leave at least one Peeker in Lore. In case father needs to flee."
GWvsJohn

Postby Acorntail » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:55 am

understandslittle wrote:"Seems good so far, but I'd like to request 7 stabbers, and two stacks of Archers. That'll leave a Peeker for you, or two if the thinkamancer decides not to come with me. Hrm... Let me speak with an Archon."

The Archon floats down towards Tank, never actually touching the ground. She strikes a thoughtful pose.
"Oh, you wouldn't have recognised the place before we razed the city, love. Lore as a side enjoyed width, not height like our Emperor does. The inner walls were just as tough to crack as the outer walls, so we didn't try. The tower was powerful, but that was purely because the city was level 5. They didn't specialise in magical air-defence; I don't think any neighbouring sides have flying units. I'd imagine their cities are similarly built - heavy walls, weak airspace. Given the distance from the capital, I'd expect air defences in the cities closest to Lore, within reach of their casters' move."

She raises an index finger, as if remembering something.

"Oh yeah; we only croaked three casters during the siege. The Shockamancer, a Healomancer and a third we didn't get time to scout before he croaked. If they were anything like Knowitall, I'd estimate they had four to five casters total. We're missing two."
Acorntail

Postby understandslittle » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:21 am

"Okay, Macho croak or capture on casters?

Any rumors on what the other casters might be, or are we flying in blind?

Issue that I see is the fact that two of the five cities are lead, so we can't rely on easy fights for all of them. They'll order units into the garrison at the first sign of trouble, and turn it into a meatgrinder.

Unless they were out in the field and disbanded when their ruler fell. Kay, I'd like to see a map and work out how I'm going to get to the various cities. I'll take a few turns with the thinkamancer, and the air units to take the more far flung cities. You take the croakamancer and the diplomat, and take the other three cities through the walls. Sound good to you."
understandslittle

Postby GWvsJohn » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:48 am

"Given our unique Commander situation, it would be nice to grab a few. But I wouldn't take extra risk. We need all our units."
GWvsJohn

Postby understandslittle » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:08 pm

"And your thoughts on my plan? I'll be headed in to speak with your father in a minute, assuming he's done talking with Metter. I just need to confirm what the archon said, and then I'll be ready to load out."

Unless Macho has something to complain about Tank heads up to the throne room again. He then waits until he sees Metter, or he is invited in.
understandslittle

Postby GWvsJohn » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:16 pm

"I think trying to take anything but the most lightly defended city with 9 stacks, even if 3 of them are Archons is too risky. I think you'd be better off roaming the field around the cities and croaking any enemy units. We can use the infantry to assault the cities, with air support if possible.

It might be wise to discuss things with Metter before we discuss with father."
GWvsJohn

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games